Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

15 years on (continued)

User
Posted 27 Jul 2014 at 22:32
Hi Karen and Barry

I am hoping you are both feeling a little better today, sometimes we need to face up to the reality for our own sanity and it makes us sad. I had some tears for you too. You are such a loving couple and my heart goes out to you.

My fondest love

Allison xxxx

User
Posted 28 Jul 2014 at 09:13
Hi Karen and Barry,

Hope the weekend brought you time just to be together and treasure those moments. You have never hidden from the reality of Barry's situation and whatever time you get you grab it and use it to create more memories. I hope the pain was manageable and remains so. I think of you both many times a day. Paul x

User
Posted 29 Jul 2014 at 21:40
Hi Karen and Barry

my heart is really with you both, this is the hardest thing to deal with facing what might lie ahead. Mick was very troubled about this and the only thing that helped him was that extremely difficult conversation with the palliative care consultant.

It is so hard on the bad days but you are so strong for each other, all you want to do is make things as gentle and caring as you possibly can.

Have strength dig deep into that courage pool and hold your heads up high knowing that there are hundreds if not thousands of people out there willing you both on.

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 31 Jul 2014 at 00:36
I went off on holiday fearing that you might not get to days 46, 47, 48. I should have known better, TG's not going to be parted from his soulmate without the fight of all fights. My friend, I hope those dreadful leg sores are now improving and that the adjustments to your meds are bringing the pain back under control. I love you to bits but I am not sure I would have sold my car for you .... Karen must really like you. If you have absolutely decided that home is where you want to be, then I know your team and your family & friends will make it happen although I suspect that you are going to have to help everyone to help you by summoning every ounce of that strength & determination that has got you through so many scrapes in the past. If like a cat you have 9 lives, I reckon you have at least a couple still in your piggy-bank.

I shall rename you Top Cat xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Jul 2014 at 10:54
Lyn, I couldn't agree more.

I've never met a guy with so much strength and determination.

He's had a lifetime of being a stubborn bu@@er, probably only using of five or six of his nine lives, and Top Cat is a great new ID for him!

Stay the same as you always are Barry. Miracles DO happen (look at Sunderland AFC). : }

George

User
Posted 31 Jul 2014 at 13:31
Hi Barry and Karen

Veronica here. Have only just had a chance to catch up with you. Was really sad to read your last post Karen, but can understand completely where you are both coming from. In amongst the pain it is something special to see the love you have for each other shining out so brightly.

Nothing I can say that others haven't. Just to say you and Barry are in our thoughts and we truly hope the medics etc can rally round to get Barry home as soon as possible cos that is so obviously where his heart is and it can only do his soul good.

With love

Veronica and Kim

User
Posted 31 Jul 2014 at 13:40

Same here, you both continue to be very much in my thoughts, Love Fiona. x

User
Posted 31 Jul 2014 at 18:05

And as Top Cat used to say 'Let's live, live,live.' Hold on, that sounds familiar !

Take the 8 count TG and come back fighting

All our love

Ray and Beryl

User
Posted 31 Jul 2014 at 21:56

Karen, Barry

Thinking of you both at this difficult time.

Edited by member 31 Jul 2014 at 22:00  | Reason: Not specified

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 10:59
Hi all,

Well I can't pretend that the past few days have been easy with it all culminating on Friday morning when I had severe pain in the upper chest between the rib gage. It was thought that it could be pancreatitis or even pancreatic cancer following further spread. I was transferred to the local hospital thinking I would need a scan, instead if was treated quite badly. I have been having daily " wash out's " to stop having any back flow from the catheter . They did that but despite my pleas not to gave my catheter a " gentle " tug to ensue it was in place they did just that. On standing up it fell out, requiring a doctor to eventually be found and fit a new catheter, that went reasonably well until a few minutes later when I stood up again only to find one of the tubes had not been connected properly and blood and urine flooded out.. I was of course woken every 2 hours through the night for blood pressure tests this on top of the tiredness I am experiencing from my failing liver was really too much. However I am now back in the Hospice and amazingly the pain has gone.....as for the scan, no it didn't happen....a total waste of time however the fight goes on because,

Life is for living

Barry ( alias Barrington )

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 11:39
Wow they are putting you through it, Barry, so sorry you have had such a s*** time of late you don't deserve this. Hope now you are back at the hospice they can give you the care and pain relief you need to get some respite from this. Thinking of you, TG and of course Karen!
User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 11:55
Hi Barry,

What disgraceful treatment. Did all this happen on a uro ward by any chance?

From personal experience I'd say those wards are generally staffed by sadists.

Thank God you escaped and are back in a safe haven.

Get some much needed rest and come back firing on all cylinders me old mate,

Thinking of you and Karen every day,

George and Lynn

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 15:32
TG thhat is awful agree with George urologists are sadists, poor Mick had his catheter yanked out 8 hours after his TURP by a russian shot putting nurse , it hurt him so Much tears rolled down his cheeks. I was so nervous at the hospice when it was going to be changed i had a quick chat with nurse beforehand. I could see almost panic on micks face, when it was done he congratulated the nurse and hugged her as he did not feel a thing.

So pleased the pain has gone and hoping it does not come back , big hugs to you and Karen

Xxxx

Mo

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 17:34
I can only thank heavens you are back in the care of those people who actually do care TG.

Hospital visits are to be avoided at all costs it seems to me.

Big love to you and Karen

Lots of love

Allison and John xx

User
Posted 03 Aug 2014 at 20:33
TG, terrible torrid which turned out to be pointless but I suppose if they hadn't carted you off to the hospital it could have gone the other way and something catastrophic missed. Now you are back where you are safe and where Karen can concentrate on just being with you and loving you. I shall ask her to give you a huge hug from me (be careful of the ribs though my friend) xxx
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 12:28
*@#*@*#@!!!!! 😳😳😳 What sadists! 😒😡

Glad to hear you are now back to the safety and comfort of the hospice and the pain has gone. Hope the pain stays away now.

Thinking of you both.

Love and best wishes

Veronica and Kim

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 13:27

Well my goodness TG I think Karen needs to make a Handle with CARE sign for you to wear, some of these Nurses can be quite rough at times. 

So glad that the pain is easier and that you are back in the Hospice, you just need to get strong enough to get home now.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 15:20

Don't even mention urology to me, like a red rag to a bull. Glad you are back in a caring place, TG.

Fiona x

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 16:22
Hi all,

This is Karen. Barry has a severe infection and his body is trying to fight against it but the next 24 to 48 hours are crucial. He is staying at the hospice for the moment even though everything is ready at home as the docs here at the hospice want to keep an eye on him and are giving him IV antibiotics. This morning at 9am they called me as he had a lot of pain and a high temperature 40 degrees!. They have explained that there probably would not be a scan done even if he went to the hospital now. They are doing their best to keep Barry comfortable with morphine, I will stay here until Iater at his request. I will keep you all informed how he is doing xx

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 16:41

Thinking of you both. X

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 17:08
Dear Karen and Barry,

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Love to you both,

George & Lynn

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 19:16
Hearts and thoughts are with you at this crucial time. May all of the luck in the world be with you now.
Max

"You can only play the hand you're dealt"

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 19:36

Sending you both all my love. xx

Fiona.

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 19:37

Dear Karen,

Thinking of you both. Best wishes Barry. Hope they can get the infection down for you and make you comfortable.

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 19:45
Thinking of you both xx
User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 19:54

Karen and Barry

Thinking of you both at this time.

Love and best wishes

Alan and Celia

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 21:18
Karen Barry

you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Carol

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 21:19
Thinking of you both at this difficult time.

Bri x

Edited by member 06 Aug 2014 at 21:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 21:25
You know how much we very much want this to turn out ok Karen, from what I know of Barry he will be as strong as he can be. I pray for him to get through it if that's what he wants.i do appreciate there comes a time when it's all too much for a person to bear. Whatever way it goes, you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

With much love

Allison xxx

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 21:39

Karen

Thinking of you both

Barry.

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 21:58
My heart is heavy and you are both on my mind tonight Karen

TG, if you feel safe where you are then perhaps we should just forget the whole scone thing for now and concentrate on getting the pain and temperature sorted. Home is wherever you are together anyway. I shouldn't think you will be looking at emails or forums but you don't need a screen to know how much I think of you and how much we are willing you on to fight this infection. Just not ready to say goodbye yet my friend so you nail this please xxx

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 22:29

Barry and Karen

I cannot attempt to put into words a fraction of what I'm feeling and have done for these past weeks but I know I am but one in a large number of supporters reaching out to you both. You can probably feel our love and our need to know you are free of pain and infection. Our collective arms reach out and we salute your grit and how you have always been there for us all, both of you.

Thank you so much our 'Top couple'

User
Posted 06 Aug 2014 at 22:56
Karen,

Thanks for the up-date, everything crossed for Barry to pull through, HUGS, prayers and best wishes to you both, forever in our prayers.

Chris and Shirley

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 01:01
Karen,

We are so hoping Barry will be able to successfully overcome the infection and combat other problems. Very best wishes to you both

Barry
User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 09:12
Good morning all. Stayed with Barry through the night and he seems much improved this morning. Have read all your kind messages to him and he says he will send a further update later, or I will. Love to you all from both of us Karen and Barry xx
User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 09:37

Thank goodness , love to you both.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 09:48
How wonderful to see this update Karen. He is a stubborn old so & so and thank goodness for that!

Lyn xxx

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 10:25
That's the soldier in him
Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 10:38

Karen,

Thinking of you both all the time.

Mike

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 11:28
Dear Karen and Barry,

We are so relieved to hear this news.

Love to you both,,

George and Lynn

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 11:46
Karen Barry

so relieved to hear your news I pop in just to hear how this good man is still batteling away my heart goes out to you both.

Best Wishes to you both

Carol

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 13:39

Sending love to you both,

Fiona. x

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 13:50
Great update Karen, that man surprises us all. Long may it continue!
User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 17:34
As Paul says, long may it continue, Barry you are a genuine fighter, it's 4 months to Euston, your next milestone !!!!

Chris.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 18:33

Phew!! Can breathe out now. Been holding my breath.

So pleased Barry seems to be feeling better.

Long may it continue. Best Wishes

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 19:50
Haha go on Barry....thanks for letting us know Karen x
User
Posted 07 Aug 2014 at 22:43
Well done son!

So happy to read this Karen, that's our boy xxx

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 02:13
Barry and Karen

God bless you both......thinking of you

Chris

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 14:41
He's a tough old sod and no mistake,sincere good wishes to you both.Diesel x
User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 19:29

Wanting to see another ....."life is for living" post. Come on Barry!