Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

LOG your web issues here

User
Posted 09 Jul 2014 at 10:45
Hi Sadie,

I hope the site alterations are progressing well.

Can I ask one question about 'signatures' on our posts?

On the old site we had an option to include or exclude our signature in our replies by simply ticking a box.

Here there seems to be no option.

I think you can imagine my particular dilemma.

When I need to reply to a serious or sadly emotional post i do NOT want to have my usual 'Bollocks2Pca' signature popping up at the end of such replies.

Would it be easy to return that little 'Option tick box'?

George

User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 07:25

For the third day running my posts have not appeared.
I don't even know whether this one will.

It's very very irritating

GRRrrrr. Having checked todays post twice to see if it was there (it wasn't) I then posted this one only to find today's post in another section was there.

Edited by member 12 Jul 2014 at 07:27  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Jul 2014 at 20:04
This seems to have posted ok Johsan!

Sadie its a while since the issues on here were logged can you give an update on progress and changes made so that people can see things are happening! Thanks!

User
Posted 14 Jul 2014 at 13:30

Hi all,

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Sadie,

On the old site we had an option to include or exclude our signature in our replies by simply ticking a box.

Thanks for this idea, I'll put that on our wishlist of things to be do when we have spare developer time booked in.

For the third day running my posts have not appeared.... Having checked todays post twice to see if it was there (it wasn't) I then posted this one only to find today's post in another section was there.

Can you tell me where you tried to make posts and if there was any error message? When you say they aren't appearing -- are they replies that aren't appearing in a conversation? Or are you starting a new conversation and it isn't showing up (if this one, then is it not showing up in the topic area, or in 'recent conversations' or both?) Is anyone else having a problem like this? We'll try to track this one down but just need more information.

This seems to have posted ok Johsan!

Sadie its a while since the issues on here were logged can you give an update on progress and changes made so that people can see things are happening! Thanks!

Here are items we've fixed:

- Jumping around the page when conversations load

- Clicking 'last post' on a conversation doesn't take user to last post

- Duplicate notification emails 

- Users being logged out without clicking 'sign out' (resolved for most users but not possibly not all - please PM ASAP if you're still getting logged out)

- 'Confirm new topic' button on compose page is confusing and deletes user input

- Pressing Enter on tags field performs site search

- Various button size and alignment problems

- Avatars delivered too large causing page load problems

- Conversation titles sometimes disappearing (we *think* we've solved it - please let me know ASAP if you see this again)

- Search by author doesn't work for users with space in their names

- On search results page 'show more conversations' button not working

If you are still seeing any of these issues please PM me and let me know, even if you think it's already been reported -- because it's very hard to track down bugs that only happen for certain users or in certain situations, and multiple reports can help narrow them down. 

The changes to the homepage are happening soon as well -- you'll be able to customise which sections you want to see on your community home page, including the list of all topic areas.

Best,

Sadie

Edited by member 14 Jul 2014 at 13:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 13:05

I have been logged out twice in last two days(using Chrome).  No previous problems .  Lost a reply I had just posted. 

User
Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 14:50
Sadie my missing posts would have been around 10-12th July.

They were replies to conversations (although I can't remember which ones now!!)

I do know that starting a new conversation means the post is not instant as it has to be checked by a moderator. That's not a problem.

I check in online most mornings to see what's new. Usually I am still logged in from the previous day. I never log out.

HOWEVER, and it is so often I might almost call it invariably, I have to log on again in the afternoon. It's almost like the site goes off for a lunch break!

It hasn't happened for a few days now but sometimes I cannot log in using IE and have to use Chrome which always works.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 16:36

If Chrome works but IE doesn't it's usually down to the security settings in IE. These can be a nightmare to tweak but sometimes a total reset will cure all  (tools > options) http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

The Dark Side beckons ...

http://pcasupportforum.proboards.com/

If you're not yet a member, please use the link and then click on 'Register'.

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 21 Jul 2014 at 20:37

Hi Sadie

It was interesting to see in your email of 14 July which fixes have been made although I have to say that I am not familiar with some of them.

The comments below may be useful and they add to what I said in my posting on 3 June 2014. For ease with this posting I have copied in my earlier posting at the end of this message.

Comment 1 Archives: In your posting on 4 July you said that at some point achieved material would be locked and be available as “read only.” I assume this means that even the person who set up the thread is subject to the read only arrangement. If so, then the option at that time, or before, will be for the person who set up the thread to decide whether or not a thread which was based on current clinical opinion at that time needs to be noted to show the posting is valid up to the at the time when the archives went “read only” – alternatively the posting could be deleted.

Comment 3 Previous posts: My original comment that “My Conversations” brings up only 50 postings still stands. However, I have discovered how a user can bring up all of their previous postings.

On the Home page got to “I’m interested in conversations about ...” and enter your “user name” in the box “Know exactly what you want? “, - then click “GO”

Then when the page changes go to the “Search term” and make this blank then insert your “user name” in “Posted by” box .

Then in “Topics” click on “All topics” and scroll down and click on “Posts from the old forum”: then click “REFINE SEARCH”

This brings up all of the users past postings in reverse date order.

Can you amend the system so that using “My Conversations” produces the same results as the sequence just described? As far as I am aware the sequence described is not made clear elsewhere. If you cannot improve how “My Conversations” responds could you make it clear that it produces only a short list of postings, which for me is 50. This is different to my Profile which includes my last 10 postings.

Comment 5 Since your last visit: this still stands so if this cannot be made to work then why not remove it from the page?

Comment 6 Instructions: this still stands. However your response in your posting of 7 July welcomed Georges suggestion to have a tutorial about continuation topics. That would be good but that, and more, is included in my suggestion about some sort of “Instruction” in my comments on 3 June 2014.

Comment 7 Registration denied: Has the browser problem been sorted out – especially for prospective members looking to join the Message Board?

Comment 8 Quick fix and Comment 9 Topics: Nothing further to add about these except the new Comment 13 below may be of interest.

Comment 10 Preview: this comment still stands and is important when doing long or detailed technical postings.

Comment 11 Cut and paste: This comment still stands and was supplemented by my later comment on 7 June.

NEW COMMENTS:

Comment 12 Recent Conversation: My “Since .........“ box is set to “Since Last visit on xx xx xxy” and this has shown the wrong time, and even the wrong date, when I last logged in.

Comment 13: It is not for me to comment on the detail of how other people feel about the new site. However, I would mention that a few weeks ago I met a number of members of the Online Community at the B2PCA’s weekend event. It was interesting to hear their views, and without going into detail, those to whom I spoke, with one exception, did not like the new site and were still puzzled - I say no more than that - by some parts of the new site.

On 16 July 2014 Allister posted under Posts from the old Forum / Treatment / Chemo Part 2 and said, “I'm still finding this new site very difficult to navigate and overly complicated”. I cannot speak for other members of the message board but I think Allister’s comment reflects, generally, how some members continue to feel in principle about the new site. I understand that issues of concern are still mentioned in emails between members.

I think it would be good if you could say which fixes are under consideration and give an expected date when the fixes will go live. Also, can you say which problems or issues will not be fixed so they will continue as they are. If you can say why they will not be fixed that would be good.

I hope this is useful.

Alan

MY POSTING OF 3 JUNE IS COPIED IN BELOW

“Here are a few comments.

1. Archives: I understand that the old threads will be closed at some point and converted into an archive and the content will be available on a "read only" basis. There is good information in many of the old postings and they continue to have value. When postings are based on clinical opinion and research findings current at the time of the posting previously it was possible to update them to take account of new information and positions on various subjects. The postings then reflected current thinking – I don’t mean personal thinking here but that which is based on clinical viewpoints – and so they were relevant again.

I have made a number of postings over the years which were based on information from clinical and technical sources or from personal research and experience of a subject. If these postings become available as “read only” and cannot be updated then I don’t think they are much use as a reference. Depending on the circumstances it will most probably be best to remove any postings which have become out of date and cannot be updated. I understand that at present a posting cannot be deleted from the system but that content can be deleted which will leave a blank posting. Will it be possible for a member to deleted text from a posting in the Archive?

2. Copyright: In a recent post someone asked about using the content from postings for an outside purpose. See “Including information on my blog” – not sure where the posting is. Barry TG quite rightly mentioned the issue of copyright in the context of the posting. Anyone who was around in 2011 may remember a bit of activity (?) to make changes to the Message Board, which eventually fizzled out. Some of you may recall that one point of interest at that time, at least for me, was how copyright law affected the information in postings. The Intellectual Property Office confirmed that in situations like message boards the person who makes a posting retains the copyright of the content of that postings and how it is used.

3. Previous posts: My Profile page used to give me access to all my previous postings in the various categories but now my profile page shows only the last 10 postings. If I go to “My Conversations” this lists 50 postings – I have opened a few and there are some which do not include a posting from me. I have about 400 postings so the question here is how can I access all of my previous postings?

4. Spacing: I think there is too much space between the postings on a page and too many postings on a page. It is not as convenient as the previous format which allowed a quick and easy scroll down and pick up a posting even if you had to change pages.

5. “Since your last visit ...?” When I sign in the first screen always shows the message: “Since your last visit on (date) there have been 0 new posts, 0 new conversations and 0 new members.” When I then go to “Recent postings” there are new conversations/messages. Not sure what is going on here.

6. “Instructions”: We all learn through experience but I have to ask why an instruction note or guidance, was not provided when the system started on 6 May. It is not too late to do something like that now. If the PCUK is keen to get new members involved with the board then something is needed to tell them how to use the system.

7. Registration denied: I was locked out of the Message Board for 5 days recently because “The user name or password is not recognised” even though it had worked for the previous 3 weeks. My browser then was Mozilla Firefox and I also tried Internet Explorer both of which could not get me into the Message Board. After speaking to the company which I have used for years for all my computer needs and support by way of an annual care package I tried Google Chrome and this worked for me. My computer experts said that if a system like this rejects attempts to register using three different browsers then the problem is with the system and not the browsers. I got in using my third browser but I have to wonder if this has something to do with your system and not my browses. Could this be the case?

8. Quick fix: I agree with almost all of the points made by others about problems with the new Message Board which, I understand, are being considered. Activity on the board looked to have stalled at one point. I know you and your team are working on this but it is worth mentioning that if this is not fixed soon the charity may well lose some of what the board has provided for many years which is a valuable source of good support, good information and good humour ... and members new and old.

9. Topics: We had a system which worked and was understood by newcomers to the board. The layout, as shown by George in a recent posting, worked well. We now have Topics which are subdivided and, in my view, it is not as easy to find postings as it was before.

10. Preview: Is it possible for a posting to be previewed before it is posted on the board?

11. Cut and Paste: I tried to “cut and paste” this posting by clicking on “Post Reply” box but that doesn’t accept “cut and paste” but go to the “Show Quick Reply” box and you are OK.

Edited by member 21 Jul 2014 at 20:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 15:04

Very good points Alan.

I just wish we could have what we asked for, but it's all gone very quiet on that front.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 19:32

Hi all,

Thanks very much for re-reporting the login timeout issue. I've re-raised the same ticket with our developers so they can track down the problem. 

We haven't been able to reproduce the 'missing posts' problem in any browser and think it may be down to the design of the page – the POST and CANCEL buttons are right next to each other, the same colour, and CANCEL is actually bigger than POST yet asks for no confirmation or gives any feedback telling you it's cancelling -- it just goes back to the conversation just like if you'd clicked POST. You'd think you'd posted until you were unable to find your new message. If you're clicking quickly or tapping [tab][tab][tab][tab][enter] to post, it's way too easy to activate the wrong button. We're going to fix that first as the most likely cause of this issue.

you said that at some point achieved material would be locked and be available as “read only.” I assume this means that even the person who set up the thread is subject to the read only arrangement. If so, then the option at that time, or before, will be for the person who set up the thread to decide whether or not a thread which was based on current clinical opinion at that time needs to be noted to show the posting is valid up to the at the time when the archives went “read only” – alternatively the posting could be deleted.

That's right, and we're happy to update those old threads with such notices by request, even after the archives are made read-only.

My original comment that “My Conversations” brings up only 50 postings still stands. However, I have discovered how a user can bring up all of their previous postings.

We'll fix that after the more urgent fixes are done. I've put in a request to add a link at the bottom to switch to the search page to find more results. 

Comment 5 Since your last visit: this still stands so if this cannot be made to work then why not remove it from the page? 

We have a request in to make this work better.

Comment 6 Instructions: this still stands. However your response in your posting of 7 July welcomed Georges suggestion to have a tutorial about continuation topics.

Done: http://prostatecanceruk.org/we-can-help/online-community/continuing-an-archived-conversation 

Comment 7 Registration denied: Has the browser problem been sorted out – especially for prospective members looking to join the Message Board?

We haven't had any further complaints or any emails asking for help registering.

Comment 10 Preview: this comment still stands and is important when doing long or detailed technical postings.

We already have a ticket in with the developers on the issue of WYSIWYG editor display not matching the posted output in terms of the way linebreaks are displayed. This will hopefully solve the need for preview. 

Comment 11 Cut and paste: This comment still stands and was supplemented by my later comment on 7 June.

We've not had any more complaints about users not being able to cut and paste - developers tell us it's a browser issue as it's a user's local browser and operating system that handles cut and paste, not the online community software. The online community software doesn't have any cut-and-paste functionality to be fixed. 

Comment 12 Recent Conversation: My “Since .........“ box is set to “Since Last visit on xx xx xxy” and this has shown the wrong time, and even the wrong date, when I last logged in.

Developers are working on a better definition for what 'last login' means -- ie, last time you signed on vs last day you visited vs last page you loaded.

those to whom I spoke, with one exception, did not like the new site and were still puzzled - I say no more than that - by some parts of the new site. 

Are there particular parts that were puzzling besides those logged in this thread? Please let us know. 

I think it would be good if you could say which fixes are under consideration and give an expected date when the fixes will go live. Also, can you say which problems or issues will not be fixed so they will continue as they are. If you can say why they will not be fixed that would be good. 

We're prioritising bugs vs feature requests. Bug fixes are free, since something's not working right. New features needed that weren't caught in testing or other steps of the process, we have to pay for and balance against the other services we provide to men and their families. So, we do have to look at whether a change someone's requested (like a button to switch signatures on and off per post) is as urgent as a bug that's stopping someone from finding the information they're looking for, or a change to the community homepage that would mean everyone finds it easier to find the topics they want. 

We've put all of these useful requests in to the developers, but some we've prioritised and some we're hanging onto for a slow time when we have developer time to spare. I've tried to say that when responding to a feature request if it couldn't be prioritised. 

We have developer time booked in this week to get through more bug fixes. Some of the problems people have reported are very hard to reproduce and diagnose, and we may think we have a fix but then it turns out it hasn't fixed it for all users. So I can't promise a particular day for a particular issue. I can say that I will keep updating you as the changes go live and keep asking for your very helpful feedback so we can continue to improve the service.

I really hope this is helpful and will update soon with more improvements made.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 20:01
Hi Sadie,

Thanks for your updates in the above post. Much appreciated.

I'm glad you've now got that 'Continuing an archived conversation' topic in the HELP section here.

Just a small point about that.......since many would like the opportunity to actually learn how to insert links from new posts to Archived posts (and vice versa) themselves, would it be possible to put together a brief tutorial in the previously mentioned new Help topic?

Then everyone would have an option of either emailing the online team or just getting on with it themselves.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

George

User
Posted 28 Jul 2014 at 15:27

Hi Sadie,

Just a small point about that.......since many would like the opportunity to actually learn how to insert links from new posts to Archived posts (and vice versa) themselves, would it be possible to put together a brief tutorial in the previously mentioned new Help topic?

Then everyone would have an option of either emailing the online team or just getting on with it themselves.

That's a great idea and I'll put more in the help file. It will always take some intervention on the part of moderators, since the old thread needs to be locked (so it doesn't fork into two separate conversations).

Best,

Sadie

User
Posted 28 Jul 2014 at 21:09
Could somebody please tell me how to add a "Smiley" without having to edit my post which is currently what I am having to do. I cannot see a smiley insertion button anywhere. I know it must be possible since I see smilies on a number of posts and the poster hasn't had to edit to do it

(If any of that makes sense ???!!_

User
Posted 30 Jul 2014 at 14:35

Could somebody please tell me how to add a "Smiley" without having to edit my post

It sounds like you're using the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page to post.

Instead, click the Reply button on the post you're responding to, like this: https://imgur.com/oPi61HM , or the quote button if you want to quote. You can also click the Post Reply button: http://i.imgur.com/6YgLeHo.png

That will take you to the full post editor instead of the quick reply box.

From there just click the Smiley button: https://imgur.com/eqmI2H3

Hope this helps!

User
Posted 15 Aug 2014 at 13:05

HOW DO WE UPDATE OUR PROFILES?

Hi Sadie and the team,

I have encountered a problem while trying to update my profile today.

I went into MY ACCOUNT/ 'EDIT PROFILE' and posted my latest results.

The only 'SAVE' button on there is under 'Change of Email Address', which I don't want.

Try as I might I cannot get my update saved, even if I enter my current email address and click 'Save'

Can't you add a 'Save Update' button beneath our profile edits?

This is got me stumped, because I have managed to update twice on this new site somehow or another.

Am I overlooking the obvious?

George

User
Posted 15 Aug 2014 at 14:19
George,

I just looked in edit profile and the save button is there at the bottom, so not sure why this is not there for you. Did you go into View profile by mistake?

User
Posted 15 Aug 2014 at 14:36
Hi George,

The 'save' button near the Email address bar is the only one to use...... It works for me

Cheers,

Luther

User
Posted 15 Aug 2014 at 15:57
Hi Paul and Luther,

I had gone into 'Edit Profile', but it was the 'SAVE' button that was bugging me.

However Once it got to 2pm my brain started to function and eventually I was able to think clearly and solve the problem.

I really should listen to my wife. She tells me never to try using my brain till after 2pm. I really am a Zombie before that time.

The glitch was this:

I use Norton 360 with password manager and auto fill.

As a result, above the 'SAVE' button were my auto-filled user ID and password,

Every time I tried to save my edit, I got the message that I was 'entering an invalid email address' (obviously!).

Once I had disabled that auto-fill function for this site, I was able to save my edited profile with one click of the 'Save' button', duh!

I seem to constantly have 'The Fog On The Tyne' don't I??

Anyway,

Thanks guys.

George

User
Posted 16 Aug 2014 at 23:21

I have to say I am rarely on the forum now, mainly because I find it less user friendly and I think a lot of users seem to be posting less.

One of the issues that happens regularly for me, either when just reading or even when posting is the browser appears to lock and get stuck buffering. Often not clearing despite logging off and on.. I then just give up. I am using IE, are there any conflicts with this browser?

regards

Lorraine

User
Posted 16 Aug 2014 at 23:53
I've not really commented on the new forum but have to agree it isn't the same. Lots of users appear to have left or not posting as much which is a great pity.

Perhaps that was the intention

Bri

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 09:06

. I am using IE, are there any conflicts with this browser?

regards

Lorraine

I use IE too and it is very annoying that the site seems to regularly log me off at lunchtime!!

Sometimes I still cannot log in using IE and have to go through Google

Not a major issue in the wider scheme of life I know but frustrating none the less.

It's a new system and I just caught the old one for a few weeks before it disappeared.

That one mirrored other non related sites I belong to but the format was the same, just different colours. But at least I knew where I was and how to follow things through and I was very comfortable with it.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 16:51

All welcome on The Dark Side http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

http://pcasupportforum.proboards.com/

Compatible with all major browsers and a doddle to navigate http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 17 Aug 2014 at 17:02

Hi Sadie,

Good to see the fruition of your team's hard work,  and very obviously changes for the better for most people.  Really doesn't seem like over a year since our Hammersmith workshop !

There is a little difficulty I have been experiencing since the upgrade, which partly explains why I haven't posted very much.  I'm very frequently unable to log on, either because of messages about long-running scripts or else welcome screens which often don't show the sign-in option.  I'm sure this must be partly down to operator error (!) or because we are on the end of a very long rural phone line in rickety state which has been broken and repaired many times and reacts badly to wind and weather - and the speeds are completely lamentable at best of times.

Very grateful for any general tips to help improve rapid access, but have a deep suspicion that quality of our Aberdeenshire net access is not exactly typical !

All very best /   David

'It couldn't possibly happen to me....'
User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 16:33
Hi Sadie,

There is one continuing and annoying problem I forgot to mention:

When I look at my email inbox, I always find TRIPLE, identical 'notifications of replies to posts'.

This means I can have 12 emails lying there about replies from just four people.

George

User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 18:22

"  One of the issues that happens regularly for me, either when just reading or even when posting is the browser appears to lock and get stuck buffering. Often not clearing despite logging off and on.. I then just give up. I am using IE, are there any conflicts with this browser? "

Ditto

It just seizes up part way through reading through the threads.

Patience running very thin now with this forum setup .

I really hope PCUK haven't paid the ( no doubt substantial ) invoice for the results so far.

Edited by member 19 Aug 2014 at 18:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 22:40
I don't experience any of these issues on the iPad or on either of two laptops (both of which use chrome).
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 10:35
Hi all,

David and others, the IE issues and severe lag are something that's just broken recently and our developers are treating as an emergency to fix. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10026-Slow-site-response-and-Internet-Explorer-issues?g=posts&t=10026&=#

George, thank you for reporting the triple emails -- this is a problem we fixed before so thanks for letting us know it's recurred, I'll report it and we'll get it fixed.

Best,

Sadie

User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 16:04

Why are the dates under the 'last post' column in pages such as http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/topics/15-Start-here given in American format i.e. mm/dd/year?

User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 16:10
Must be a setting issue on your PC Tom, mine is displayed as dd/mm/yyyy

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 16:28
Hi Lyn, Thanks. I will investigate.
User
Posted 20 Aug 2014 at 16:36
I DO not believe it.......................Dates are now in UK format on my PC. I did not change anything!
User
Posted 21 Aug 2014 at 19:45

At a meeting today in Belfast I expressed some of my concerns to PCUK about the new forum. Hopefully they will take some of those comments on board. We are in danger of losing a vital resource, or at least relegating it to the IT dustbin and therefore doing a disservice to those that follow us down the well trodden path of this awful disease http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

Let's analyse the post change statistics (postings, new members, topic following etc) and work to build confidence http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 14:10
Can anyone tell me how to edit a post? Also the time shown for a post is UMT and not British Summer Time. So at the moment the shown times are 1 hour behind the current time.
User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 16:41

Tom, there used to be an "edit" option on the right of a post if you had created that post. I do not know where it has gone as it no longer appears for me on my posts.  I now only have quote, thank, reply and report.  Suggest that you report the issue to Sadie.

Dave

Aha, and my return button is working again now, what a lovely surprise!

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 17:21

Well Countryboy, you're luckier than me. I still no longer have the edit button and I still cannot do a return to change the line.  All a bit frustrating but they'll sort it I expect.     http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 28 Aug 2014 at 17:38
I don't have an edit button either and my return key doesnt work either
User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 08:13
Ditto, as above.
User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 09:22

Today, 

I have a return key working.

Will update so the engineers can see what is happening, or not.

Will see if the edit option appears after posting.  If I do not edit this post it is because I can not.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 09:22
Return key wont work
User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 17:21
Interesting thing just happened. I was trying to use Edamo's quote in a reply and one of Lyn's came up from My 3men continued instead so I have had to copy and paste the bit I wanted to quote from Edamo's
User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 17:57
http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t9895-2-5mg--5-mg--10mg1#post120442Is a post I made on 7th July. The edit function was active then as I edited my post. I went back to see if I could still edit it but the function no longer exists in that post. And my RETURN key does not work today. Hope this information helps the engineers? Dave
User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 18:19
09:22:21 today, my return was working. 17:57:06 it isn't. What happened between these times? Go figure!! Dave
User
Posted 29 Aug 2014 at 23:54
Odd problem using Safari on an iPad. More often than not, my login details are not saved from one session to the next. Then when logging in my first try at entering username and password fails (when pressing return after the password entry or when using the login button). The second try using exactly the same username and password combination succeeds. Using iOS 7.1.2 on iPad Air.
Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 06:58
Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between a problem with the site (blamed for everything usually) and network and machine problems. For instance I don't have log in problems on my IPAD air at all! This thread was started to log teething issues so that Sadie and her team could see what the detail of the issues were. I am not going to engage here in a debate about the site itself. It seems to me to be perfectly functional most of the time but it is different to the old site. TopGun hardly loved technology but managed to tweet lots of great stuff in his last few months so there must be a difference between people choosing not to comment and whether the site is too difficult. I think new members are arriving and they of course have nothing to compare. We do give them a welcome but not as much as before because membership of old members has slipped back. At the end of the day technology should just be the vehicle for communication and we need to get on board with it and make it work.
User
Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 08:14

Of course, after about two weeks of problems, the login is working perfectly today.... *sigh*. Snag entry withdrawn until it happens again. I'm thankful that I have been able to put my past life of diagnosing and correcting problems like this behind me.....

Just checking if I can edit.  Answer is yes.  Also return key is working.  (Firefox on Linux Mint).

Edited by member 04 Sep 2014 at 18:02  | Reason: Not specified

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 30 Aug 2014 at 10:28
To Yorkhull, is it worth posting details of what works or does not work at different times of the day? Looking at it simply I thought that with the info supplied the technical people could see what buttons had been pressed or settings altered which may be affecting the end user? And today at 1021 the my return key does not work, hence block of text. Using 2013 MacBook with Safari. Dave
User
Posted 31 Aug 2014 at 21:13
Like many others I have lost the use of the return key.

Why can't I see the full details of respondents? I want to send a private mail, but can't find the right button as his details are shortened .

Need a list of posts when you do a member search, just finding a name, which you know already, is of no use at all . Need to see what they have posted so you can follow threads.

My last post, moderated and up on the site, does not show up in my personal postings entry on my details.

Hope the issues get resolved soon.

Chris

User
Posted 01 Sep 2014 at 11:16
Thanks very much for the reports -- we're aware of the return key issue in Quick Reply (it does work in Post Reply, as a workaround) and the problem Editing posts. They've resulted from the developers doing some tricky exploratory work to try to pin down a bigger issue and they'll set it right as soon as possible. We're very sorry for the trouble.
User
Posted 01 Sep 2014 at 22:34

There is a much more fundamental problem here and no amount of bug fixes will address the issue http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif. The current design is not fit for purpose and proposed modifications will only alleviate, not solve the problem. I have spent over 20 years in the IT sector, half of which was in BT as a Siebel CRM (customer relations management) and Web Commerce designer. This is awful and I would have had my nuts roasted if I had ever presented this as a functioning design http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif. Who captured the business requirements and who transcribed those requirements to the developers? They ought to be ashamed http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 01 Sep 2014 at 23:14
While you may have a point Allister, (imagine this as the start of a new paragaph, but my return key does not work today) the old site was a bit boring. It had become predictable. (Imagine new paragraph again) Every time you posted something it worked, paragraphs were enterable, we could edit posts and this encouraged a slack attitude to posting any old "cods" as one new one could edit ones post when one read it over and correct the errors bought about by one's sloppiness. (Imagine another new paragraph here) I am sure it ail all work okay in the end? (Imagine this next bit two lines down as if sent there by a return key) Dave