I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Transperineal Biospy Experience

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 13:30

I had a transperineal biospy last Friday having previously had the other 3 diagnostics procedures (DRE, MRI and TRUS) and I thought it might be helpful to share my experience for those having the same.

The reason for having it after a MRI scan and a TRUS was explained to me by the consultant who said the MRI scans don't always pick up the areas on the periphery such as my suspected T3a and quite often get it wrong. Also it's a far more comprehensive procedure than the others being able to get to all areas of the prostate.

There are a few pre-op things to do unlike the other procedures which involved a pre-assessment appointment for blood and ECG tests and now a Covid19 test. 

It was an early start at 7.30am at a local hospital a 30 minute drive away but good to get it all done quickly.  I hadn't had a general anaesethetic for at least 10 years and it is so good these days you have no sensation of going under and just gently wake up when it's all over.

You get tea and toast afterwards and they check you can pee ok before discharging you.  Post procedure there is hardly any blood in my pee now and there was a slight stinging sensation when going. I was given tablets to ease peeing afterwards which I took for 3 days afterwards but no antibiotics this time.

All in all I would recommend this procedure over the others if you have a choice as going straight to this rather than having the TRUS first would have been better just to save all the waiting for each one and to get a more comprehensive diagnosis.

I await the results but with a Gleeson of 3 + 3 and a very small slow growing Pca in the prostate I'm hoping no further treatment will be needed at this stage just close monitoring.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 13:52

Kernow,

Just to avoid confusion, there are two types of transperineal biopsy, a transperineal template biopsy which is what you described, and also an LATP (local anesthetic transperineal) biopsy which is relatively new and replacing TRUS (and also replacing some transperineal template biopsies).

Anyway, I wish you the good result you hope for.

For amusement, my write up is in this thread:
https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t21029-Had-a-TP-biopsy-this-morning#post213082

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 15:14

Thanks for that Andy - the thread makes amusing reading and also reassuring,

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 16:04
Two friends advised me to avoid a TRUS biopsy, because like you, they had to have a transperineal biopsy subsequently as well. Buy one get one free!

As Andy says, TRUS biopsies are being phased out. Anyway, consider your Gleason grade of G3+3=6 as good news. If you had critical illness insurance with some insurers you wouldn’t get a payout as that is not classed as “life threatening”.

Best of luck for the future and do keep up to speed with regular PSA tests.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 16:09

I had a transperineal template biopsy. No blood in my urine, but semen was another story. Needless to say that we didn't think to put a towel on the bed until too late. I was fascinated how the colour changed from bright red to brown over a few days before returning to normal. 

Good luck. 

Kev

Edited by member 10 Jun 2020 at 16:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jun 2020 at 17:41

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I had a transperineal template biopsy. No blood in my urine, but semen was another story. Needless to say that we didn't think to put a towel on the bed until too late. I was fascinated how the colour changed from bright red to brown over a few days before returning to normal.

I could have written exactly that for my first TRUS biopsy. It took several washes to get the stain out too, and 3 weeks for all the blood to go from semen with daily ejaculations. I asked my urologist how long before ejaculating after the procedure, and he said don't wait, and even that it was a good idea to do so.

Have spoken with a couple of very alarmed men who didn't ejaculate for some weeks, only to find it's completely black by then. Many men are not warned of the amount of blood in semen at all, and think something major has gone wrong.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2020 at 16:37
Thanks for the replies I still have slight stinging when peeing so haven't risked an ejaculation yet but am familiar with the various shades of red following my earlier TRUS

Just heard back from the consultant and they haven't found anything more than they did with the TRUS so good news there. I'll be closely monitored from now on with PSA tests every three months.

Good to share the experience on here and feel lucky my outcome was as good as it could be.