I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fluctuating PSA

User
Posted 14 Dec 2020 at 17:31

Hello everybody! This is Marcellus (55) from the Netherlands, so please forgive me if I make any grammatical mistakes. As a newbee I am also not sure if I have posted my message is in the right group....anyways....

In a short time I have learned that (almost) every man has his own PC story. Nevertheless maybe one of you recognizes my story...

I was diagnosed in April this year with advanced PC with high volume metastasis. Unfortunately an alleged hernia turned out to be a fatal disease. PSA 1380, ALP 566. Started with Zoladex in May which led to a spectacular decrease (660 in June, 260 begin July). After the first docetaxel treatment in July, my PSA level reached a level of 14.7, ALP 170. After the 5th treatment my PSA decreased to 4.4., ALP 160. Unfortunately last week (4 weeks after the 6th and last cure) my PSA increased 0,6 nmg to 5 again. The ALP also rose slightly to 171. 

Although all other bloodvalues are in balance, I don’t have any pain and I am feeling physically very good, I am a bit concerned. Might this outcome suggest a prelude to mCRCP or could this be an expected fluctuating value? 

(I haven’t discussed the outcome with my oncologist yet as this week because I have to submerge several (bone) scans as well). Maybe some of you know a bit more so I can prepare myself.

I’d like to thank you all for sharing your stories and insights at this forum. You have given me, next to valuable information, hope and confidence!

Best regards,

Marcellus 

User
Posted 14 Dec 2020 at 18:21
Sometimes the PSA rises during chemo - it is like the cancer cells screaming as they die. I wouldn't be concerned at this point - it may rise a bit more as well but does not indicate that the chemo is a failure.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 29 Dec 2020 at 15:09
Hi Marcellus
The fact that your PSA has plummeted from such a great height sounds fantastic. My own experience isn't nearly as impressive, starting at 62.2.
I had an oncology appointment on Monday, and mine had gone from 0.1 to 0.2 in the past 6 months. My oncologist wasn't bothered, she said that as long as it was in that area she was happy. On another blood test occasion earlier on in 2019 it also showed an increase when it was still in high single figures, but with the next test I had (3 months) it had halved.
Initially I kind of expected some sort of logarithmic downward curve but it doesn't work like that all the time.

All the best to you.