I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting to worry

User
Posted 12 Aug 2021 at 17:27

As the date for my prostatectomy draws closer (Aug 26th) I am beginning to worry more and more that this is the correct course for me to take. I guess that is a natural reaction but difficult nevertheless!

I know I will get there and not look back so in the meantime trying to fill the time concentrating on fitness. I have been taking part in the Prostate Cancer UK Cycle the Month Challenge and have so far raised £950.

Looking to the post op period do any of you have any tips particularly for life with a catheter? My wife has read somewhere about a ring for sitting on - I can’t quite see how that will help but maybe it will.

Anyway if you do have any thoughts please let me know.

Phil

User
Posted 12 Aug 2021 at 18:13
Worrying about surgery is absolutely normal, but try to think about when it's all over and the cancer is sorted. It's just a necessary bit of unpleasantness to get through. Catheters aren't too awful to live with an it'll only be for a few days.

One piece of kit that's generally recommended is a plastic bucket to put the catheter night bag in.

Very best wishes for your surgery,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Aug 2021 at 19:53

Phil 

Hope all goes well with the op , post op take it easy but keep mobile. Ask for some instilagel or hydrocaine to take home in case the Catheter makes the eye of penis sore. Drink plenty of water, don't get constipation and no straining to pass that first motion. Make sure the Catheter joints are tight, nothing worse than being in your own urine. Snug but not tight underwear will keep the Catheter from moving round and rubbing on the eye of the penis.  I attach the night bag tube to my ankle with a G strap.

Treat the catheter as you friend, it will save getting up in the night for a few days.

If you put "ankle" into the search box above it should come up with numerous of my posts about my catheter experiences, including how to shower with a catheter.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Aug 2021 at 03:29
If you read my account of my surgery by clicking ‘Bollinge’ on this post, you will see my surgery surprisingly was mostly pain-free. There was a complication when the supposedly dissolvable sutures did not, and an embarrassing moment when the tap on my leg bag came open and I p****d all over the pub floor.

It was all worth it and I have been cancer-free for over three years.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2021 at 10:35

Well done on the cycle challenge. The fitter you are entering into surgery the better for you.

My daughter climbed her 50th munro and raised just under £1200 for PCUK, we are so proud of her.

Best wishes with your surgery.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2021 at 17:08
Persoanlly I found loose pants better! Def get a bucket or something to put the bag in overnight, and my experience was that I woke up a few times to empty the bag - turned out I didn't wee much in teh afternoon/evening with a catheter in but loads at night and filled the bag. I got an extra large night bag after a few days. Another tip would be to keep the disctrict nurse numbers you get given handy - they were so useful, because it's all new to you and you don't know what's normal and what isn't, but it's not new to them a tnd they were reassuring. I had 2 or 3 visits from them when I called. Plus - a little urine leakage from around the catheter rather than though it isn't anything to worry about.

I kept everything clean every time I had leakage and didn't get very sore, but can imagine it's uncomfortable if you do so some soothing cream might be useful.

User
Posted 13 Aug 2021 at 22:01

Not everyone has access to the district nurse service post-op - it is another postcode lottery. But yes, if your district nursing team are involved, use them!

Some hospitals will send you home with some instagel, a local anaesthetic for the eye of your penis. If not, you may be able to get it from your local pharmacy or try KY jelly. Don't use any other cream or gel without checking that it is compatible with the catheter tubing.

Edited by member 13 Aug 2021 at 22:04  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Aug 2021 at 22:06
PS you will also in effect have a vasectomy as part of the op so your penis and scrotum may be very swollen; pants or jockeys will give you better support than boxers but buy a size larger than usual just in case.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Aug 2021 at 13:11
Thank you everyone for your responses. Your advice and words of encouragement are most appreciated.
User
Posted 25 Aug 2021 at 15:45

Good luck for tomorrow, hope all is going to plan.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Aug 2021 at 19:55

Very best of luck with the surgery tomorrow. I pray it goes well for you. 

User
Posted 25 Aug 2021 at 21:03
Good luck tomorrow. Hope it goes as well as possible. 👍

Jim

User
Posted 25 Aug 2021 at 22:07

Cocker2 

Good luck for tomorrow, hope all goes well, just to repeat take it easy but keep mobile.

Thanks Chris