Show search

Notification

Error
12>

PSA rising 4 years 8 months after RP

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 16:47

Hi all.

It's been a long while since I last posted, although I've kept reading.

First I apologise for my English as I'm Spanish.

My husband, currently 73,  had RP 4 years and 8 months ago (April 2017. Clean margins and nodes. 3+4 7 Gleason. No further treatment so far.

His PSA has been slowly increasing along this period, starting from undetectable up to 0.33 right now, December 2021 ( 4 years 8 months later)

Next control visit to the urologist is due in a few days. According to the report on the ultrasound urological control test my husband's just had, nothing appears to be wrong inside his abdomen, but I know this is not a determinant test.

We're concerned. Must we assume he'll be put on treatment?

I just ask for thoughts, of course.

Thanks in advance.

Sending you all my best wishes.

Lola.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 22:53

Hi Lola,

Looking at your previous post in 2018 it was 0.08.  If the increase has been fairly consistent it would double to 0.16 by roughly early 2020 and now is 0.33.  That is a rate of doubling about every 18 months which is normally more consistent with it being in the prostate bed and therefore treatable with RT. 

Although I think you should push for a psma scan fairly quickly and then probably go onto hormones before SRT as it shouldn't be allowed to get much higher.  Alternatively you could start without a scan.

No-one can be sure as it's just a probability and I'm not an expert.  I suggest you write the PSA levels at each date in the profile of your account.

All the best

Peter

Edited by member 20 Dec 2021 at 22:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 13:31

Lola, you have every reason to be hopeful.  I had a prostatectomy at the age of 46.  One year later, my PSA was increasing.  My psma scan showed 2 spots of cancer, one in an iliac node and another in the prostate bed.  18 months of hormone therapy and 33 sessions of radiotherapy. 

For the past 3 years, my psa has always been <0.006.  That's the lowest it can be measured.

The treatment your husband is having has every chance of success 

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 16:47

Hi all.

It's been a long while since I last posted, although I've kept reading.

First I apologise for my English as I'm Spanish.

My husband, currently 73,  had RP 4 years and 8 months ago (April 2017. Clean margins and nodes. 3+4 7 Gleason. No further treatment so far.

His PSA has been slowly increasing along this period, starting from undetectable up to 0.33 right now, December 2021 ( 4 years 8 months later)

Next control visit to the urologist is due in a few days. According to the report on the ultrasound urological control test my husband's just had, nothing appears to be wrong inside his abdomen, but I know this is not a determinant test.

We're concerned. Must we assume he'll be put on treatment?

I just ask for thoughts, of course.

Thanks in advance.

Sending you all my best wishes.

Lola.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 18:13
Your English is great!

Sounds like your husband has had recurrence, standard of care for this now is a PSMA scan to confirm where the recurrence is followed by salvage radiotherapy. If the scan can't find anything they will probably advise treating with SRT anyway. A short course of hormone therapy would also normally be recommended anything from 6 months to 3 years.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2021 at 06:54

You can use this nomogram to estimate the likelihood SRT will be successful.
https://www.mskcc.org/nomograms/prostate/salvage_radiation_therapy

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 06:19
Reading other stories on here I don't think the side effects of the Hormones are as bad as you think they will be. The fact the SRT is intended to be curative also means he won't be on them for ever.

All on all it sounds like he is receiving optimal treatment and fingers crossed will get a durable remission.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 21:10

On decapeptyl my side effects started about 2months in but not too bad really find it more annoying than a real problem now 13 months in and plodding on hot flushes and no sexual desire  text book stuff really 🤔

Edited by member 21 Mar 2022 at 21:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 22:24
Hi Lola sorry to hear this news ok. The effects of HT seem to vary with each individual , and I think older age exacerbates things. Hot flushes kicked in really quickly which don’t bother me too much , libido dropped but certainly not gone at all , and quite a lot of fatigue and aches in muscles and bones. I’m 54 but still work really hard on a farm , however find 4 hours is my max and need an early night. Best wishes to you both
User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 22:57

Hi Lola,

There is a common theme in many therapies and that is to eat healthy food and get exercise which might be regular walks, nothing excessive.

Have you seen the page on this website about side effects and how to reduce them. The link is below.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/living-with-prostate-cancer/how-hormone-therapy-affects-you

Tell yourself that 'everything will be alright'.  I find it has some effect as long as you believe in the treatment.

Best Wishes, Peter

Edited by member 21 Mar 2022 at 22:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 23:55
The eligard will have shrunk the tumour, that is what it does. Smaller tumours produce less PSA so all is as expected.
User
Posted 02 May 2022 at 17:07
In my case treatment started a week after the planning session, but I'm sure that you could ask for the start to be delayed. Now that he's on HT a delay of a few weeks isn't going to make any difference.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 May 2022 at 23:33

Lola , I had image guided VMAT salvage RT three years after surgery. Your husband has had the benefit of a pet scan so they should know where to target. My SRT was given to the prostate bed and was decided on an educated guess. Although there was something in the prostate bed, my PSA is still rising, so we assme it was also outside the prostate bed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 19:09

Lola,  I don't recall getting blood in urine at the start of SRT. I did get lots of clots after treatment and because it was not picked up early it didn't work out well. Could it be that the blood thinners are a factor in getting blood that would normally clot ?

Report it to your treatment team.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 20:39
So good news!

Once you'll have the PSMA done, any spot there might be -or maybe the outcome is "clear"- you'll be cared, treated and I guess, cured. I'm so glad to know, Chris. You know, we -or at least, I- take others' stories here as something close to you.

Things are on the right track now 👍

Best,

Lola

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 14:13
If the hospital didn't give him a diet sheet, general advice in the UK is to avoid green veg like cabbage, broccoli, fruit (especially fruit skin like apple peel). anything fizzy or alcohol, eat white bread / rice rather than brown bread / rice, etc
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 14:20

Lola, my hospital gave me booklet that included what foods to eat or avoid, unfortunately I cannot find it. 

If you Google the following it will take you to some NHS info    "how to avoid wind during prostate radiation". 

I think most of them are for bowel empty bladder full , but just make sure that is what Paco is having.

Have you asked your hospital for advice.

I fortunately didn't have any wind issues.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 16:15
Thanks to both Lynn and Chris, your comments are quite helpful.

He only was told not to eat legumes, cabbage and similar stuff, as well as alcohol and sparkling beverages, but no diet sheet was handed to him. When dealing with other vegs we are confused. Now it's clearer to me. The words "green vegs" are clarifying, and also "fruit skin".

I'll try too enter the link you provide, Chris.

Thanks a lot,

Lola

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 16:19
Great! I got the NHS' PDF you suggested, Chris. 👍
User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 14:21

Ulsterman, Lynn, thanks a lot for your information and encouraging words. I'm happy that both John and you are doing pretty well and I hope Paco will do too.

Lynn, there's something I didn't get entirely. I got that sometimes men quit HT (on their own decision?) and oncos make them take it back again? Also it's not clear to me if doctors themselves, on any occasion, change the planning they had made for the patient in the view of any eventual test that might show a relevant good result before the deadline.

Thanks again and the best to you,

Lola

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 23:58
Doctors in the UK don't have the power to force a patient to have treatment against their wishes (unless the patient lacks capacity - and that would be tested in law) so if a man stopped HT, his oncologist couldn't nake him start again; he could only set out the reasons that he is recommending it.

Yes, if can happen that an onco starts off saying 2 years snd then later says actually 18 months will be fine ... but it isn't common.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 01:14
The breast growth can be stopped so don't be fobbed off..

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 09:08

Lola, is Paco taking a laxative to ensure his bowels are empty for the radiotherapy?  My hospital always checked with me to see if I had had a bowel movement but never prescribed any laxatives.

I didn't need them as I got diarrhoea during my radiotherapy.  It was quite bad.  I was told to take imodium (loperamide).  But I had to be careful too as they didn't want me to get constipated either.

I think you need to speak to the Oncologist if Paco is still receiving radiotherapy.   He must be getting near the end though?

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 22:07

Lola, I never got as bad as Paco and so can't advise.  Hopefully Lyn or Andy or one of the more experienced will be able to answer.  I suppose you have to trust your Oncologist.

I hope things settle down quickly.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 22:28

Lola ,the plan was for me to have 33 sessions and that is what I had. From the first session to the last session was fifty days. The missed sessions were rescheduled on Saturdays. My treatment was over the Easter and May day period so there were some public holidays in there. Over the Easter holiday I had one session on Thursday and the next one was Tuesday.

Not sure how his Vacation days would affect things, but I am.sure our scholars will know.

I am sure he is in good hands. Try to relax and look after yourself.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 24 Jun 2022 at 23:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Aug 2022 at 21:37

Lola,  did the two hot spots get treated before the SRT was cut short. Not sure how they write the program for Paco's situation.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 Aug 2022 at 23:26

Lola, at least they have targeted the known areas of concern. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 26 Aug 2023 at 20:14

Lola,that is a very minimal rise,as we have seen from mine and others on here, even when the same blood sample is tested at the same time and lab it can vary by 0.01,that is way more than your rise.

As for expectations I assume that because Paco has had surgery like me when the dust settles anything below 0.2 would be ideal. After surgery and SRT my onco was talking about waiting for the PSA to reach 2,4,8 or even 10 before considering life time HT. 

As treatments have progressed so do options. Again like me, SABR treatment could be the next action if required.

Stop worrying, it doesn't help 😀. Take care.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 26 Aug 2023 at 23:58

Thanks for reading and replying ,Chris. You've helped me stop my f**** rambling.

As for the rest, no significant problem with treatment other than occasional tiredness and the normal sleep for a 74 year old guy instead of for the marmot he used to be.

Strong tailored and  guided gym is working great, both for body and mind. I'm writing you this drag because I'm aware  of your reluctance to follow the supposedly advisable track.

As always, I wish you the best and appreciate your words.

Night  xx

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 18:13
Your English is great!

Sounds like your husband has had recurrence, standard of care for this now is a PSMA scan to confirm where the recurrence is followed by salvage radiotherapy. If the scan can't find anything they will probably advise treating with SRT anyway. A short course of hormone therapy would also normally be recommended anything from 6 months to 3 years.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 18:38
Thanks a lot for your information.

I hope no cells have gone to any other organ in his body. I wonder whether the likelihood of this could be somehow estimated considering his PSA after that period of time.

I cross fingers.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2021 at 22:53

Hi Lola,

Looking at your previous post in 2018 it was 0.08.  If the increase has been fairly consistent it would double to 0.16 by roughly early 2020 and now is 0.33.  That is a rate of doubling about every 18 months which is normally more consistent with it being in the prostate bed and therefore treatable with RT. 

Although I think you should push for a psma scan fairly quickly and then probably go onto hormones before SRT as it shouldn't be allowed to get much higher.  Alternatively you could start without a scan.

No-one can be sure as it's just a probability and I'm not an expert.  I suggest you write the PSA levels at each date in the profile of your account.

All the best

Peter

Edited by member 20 Dec 2021 at 22:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Dec 2021 at 06:54

You can use this nomogram to estimate the likelihood SRT will be successful.
https://www.mskcc.org/nomograms/prostate/salvage_radiation_therapy

User
Posted 20 Mar 2022 at 21:28

Hi all.

I'm updating my hub's current situation and asking for thoughts and some advice regarding the best way to cope with the treatment.

At 0.33 PSA a PSMA PET showed two spots: in one iliac lymph node and one seminal vesicle bed.

He's been on  Casodex for one month and started every-three-month Eligard jab. In two month will start SRT.

I'm really scared about the side effects and, of course, I can't help thinking of a new relapse over time. Both the uro and onco say a cure is intended, and even in case it's not,  other "weapons" are there, as well as the fact of his old age, 73 (not much life left to let the bug grow and spread). But as I said above, I'm scared.

After 45 days from start, side effects haven't come yet but I assume he's going to feel badly soon. Thoughts and some advice would be appreciated. I need to help him cope with this but it's not going to be easy as he's not talkative neither wants to be talked to about it, so, what will be the best way to treat him?

Also, I'm a bit lonely at this. Nobody to share my worries and fear with, just surfing the net in seek of new information from which I can tell myself "come on, it's not that bad, it'll be fine".

Thank you for letting me vent here. I'll be thankful if you drop some line for me.

Have a good start to the week xx

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 06:19
Reading other stories on here I don't think the side effects of the Hormones are as bad as you think they will be. The fact the SRT is intended to be curative also means he won't be on them for ever.

All on all it sounds like he is receiving optimal treatment and fingers crossed will get a durable remission.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 21:01

Can someone tell me when HT side effects are supposed to appear after having started Casodex and Eligard?

I'd appreciate.

Best to all.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 21:10

On decapeptyl my side effects started about 2months in but not too bad really find it more annoying than a real problem now 13 months in and plodding on hot flushes and no sexual desire  text book stuff really 🤔

Edited by member 21 Mar 2022 at 21:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 22:24
Hi Lola sorry to hear this news ok. The effects of HT seem to vary with each individual , and I think older age exacerbates things. Hot flushes kicked in really quickly which don’t bother me too much , libido dropped but certainly not gone at all , and quite a lot of fatigue and aches in muscles and bones. I’m 54 but still work really hard on a farm , however find 4 hours is my max and need an early night. Best wishes to you both
User
Posted 21 Mar 2022 at 22:57

Hi Lola,

There is a common theme in many therapies and that is to eat healthy food and get exercise which might be regular walks, nothing excessive.

Have you seen the page on this website about side effects and how to reduce them. The link is below.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/living-with-prostate-cancer/how-hormone-therapy-affects-you

Tell yourself that 'everything will be alright'.  I find it has some effect as long as you believe in the treatment.

Best Wishes, Peter

Edited by member 21 Mar 2022 at 22:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 22:22

Hi again.

As I said above, Paco -my OH- will be given RT. He was on Casodex for one month and then  shot of Eligard every three months. 

The oncologist wanted a new MR and blood work before starting RT. Next appointment with him is next week. 

Today I've entered the hospital website and the report of both blood test and MR were already available. His PSA is 0.03, I assume that's ok? As for the MR,  the conclusion I could get to from those technical terms is that the spot in the iliac lymph node can't be seen anymore, and there is a remarkable loss of image of the one in his seminal vesicle, so far so good, I can say? This is my question: after one month on Casodex and then a shot of Eligard -next will be in May-, is everything supposed to have disappeared? or, is he doing well.

Opinions and information are welcome.

Best,

Lola

User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 23:55
The eligard will have shrunk the tumour, that is what it does. Smaller tumours produce less PSA so all is as expected.
User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 00:49

I doubt the HT will have eradicated the tumours so assume OH will still have RT to where previously identified. It would be interesting to know whether the Prostate bed or any other parts will be radiated too.

Edited by member 25 May 2022 at 18:41  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 08:19

You're right, Old Barry, OH will shortly have RT and continue to be in HT for two years. Since an iliac lymph node was also affected -apparently not anymore according to the last MR -, the onco said RT will also be given to the pelvis. From what he said I assume HT reduces cells' activity then they're supposed to be killed by RT?

User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 09:05
That's correct. The way that RT works is that the radiation damages the DNA of all the cells in the targeted area. Healthy cells can repair their DNA, but in cancer cells this repair mechanism is usually faulty, so eventually the cell will die. This can take up to 18 months to happen, though. The HT prevents the cell from reproducing before it dies.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 10:40
Clarifying explanation, Chris. It explains pretty well why still two years of HT after RT: enough time for the cells to die plus six extra months as a precaution, I guess.

Keep care.

User
Posted 02 May 2022 at 15:33
I've read somewhere on the net that prior to RT treatment itself some kind of mock sesión is given to the patient, any idea about it? OH is meeting with onco next Wednesday and supposedly RT agenda will be scheduled.
User
Posted 02 May 2022 at 15:45

That will be the planning session, where they put you on a "simulator", this is to align the target area and will end with three very small tattoos.

Dave

User
Posted 02 May 2022 at 17:02

It makes sense. Thank you, Dave.

Do you know if the real treatment normally starts immediately after that? If not, we'd like to visit our daughter in the US.

User
Posted 02 May 2022 at 17:07
In my case treatment started a week after the planning session, but I'm sure that you could ask for the start to be delayed. Now that he's on HT a delay of a few weeks isn't going to make any difference.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 May 2022 at 19:39
Has anyone here had Stereotactic Radiotherapy for PC recurrence? I've read something on the internet and I'm confused. Tomorrow OH is meeting with onco and IMRT will be scheduled for him. What is that radiation about? In what cases is it offered or given? I need to be certain OH's therapy is the right one for him.

Best wishes,

Lola

User
Posted 04 May 2022 at 23:33

Lola , I had image guided VMAT salvage RT three years after surgery. Your husband has had the benefit of a pet scan so they should know where to target. My SRT was given to the prostate bed and was decided on an educated guess. Although there was something in the prostate bed, my PSA is still rising, so we assme it was also outside the prostate bed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 May 2022 at 10:10

Hello there,

OH will have his planning session previous to RT "kick off" in ten days time. Then he'll  start   IMRT . The onco will meet him weekly .

OH is on blood thinners. We asked about the risk and doctor said he'd better continue to take them. Is any of you in a similar situation? Any serious bleeding? Not that we're scared as we're certain to be in good hands in a great hospital in Madrid, but I'd like to hear from someone who went through it or has some information.

Have a nice weekend,

Lola.

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 18:23

Has anyone here had blood when having a pee after the first IMRT sesión?

Muy husband has. Comments appreciated.

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 19:09

Lola,  I don't recall getting blood in urine at the start of SRT. I did get lots of clots after treatment and because it was not picked up early it didn't work out well. Could it be that the blood thinners are a factor in getting blood that would normally clot ?

Report it to your treatment team.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 20:06
That makes sense, Chris. I want to think it's related to blood thinners.

Hub reported it this morning in his second session and the therapist said having this issue is likely after a few sessions, not after the first one. Then, the onco saw him at his office and told him not to worry, just drink much water. Strangely, no blood today.

You know, I totally trust the onco but I wanted to hear opinions here.

Thanks, Chris. Hope NHS will soon take your PSA into account and you get some relief for your concern. Let us know.

Best,

Lola

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 20:25

Lola , just waiting for an appointment to have a PSMA scan and then we can think about the next move.

The damage to my bladder from SRT happens to less than 1 in 20. Urology and radiograpy kept blaming the blood clots on each other. Good to hear no blood today. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 May 2022 at 20:39
So good news!

Once you'll have the PSMA done, any spot there might be -or maybe the outcome is "clear"- you'll be cared, treated and I guess, cured. I'm so glad to know, Chris. You know, we -or at least, I- take others' stories here as something close to you.

Things are on the right track now 👍

Best,

Lola

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 12:56

Hello there.

I need some advice from your experience: OH has started RT and is in despair because of the diet to prevent fibre and flatulent food that could  partially hide the target in his pelvis.  We've been googling "flatulent food" and "low fibre food", but people supplying nutritional knowledge to the net don't seem to come to an agreement in terms of "avoided", or "permitted". I'd like to know how those of you who went through RT did handle this situation, what you did avoid or permited eating. 

We'd appreciate some comment.

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 14:13
If the hospital didn't give him a diet sheet, general advice in the UK is to avoid green veg like cabbage, broccoli, fruit (especially fruit skin like apple peel). anything fizzy or alcohol, eat white bread / rice rather than brown bread / rice, etc

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 14:20

Lola, my hospital gave me booklet that included what foods to eat or avoid, unfortunately I cannot find it. 

If you Google the following it will take you to some NHS info    "how to avoid wind during prostate radiation". 

I think most of them are for bowel empty bladder full , but just make sure that is what Paco is having.

Have you asked your hospital for advice.

I fortunately didn't have any wind issues.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 16:15
Thanks to both Lynn and Chris, your comments are quite helpful.

He only was told not to eat legumes, cabbage and similar stuff, as well as alcohol and sparkling beverages, but no diet sheet was handed to him. When dealing with other vegs we are confused. Now it's clearer to me. The words "green vegs" are clarifying, and also "fruit skin".

I'll try too enter the link you provide, Chris.

Thanks a lot,

Lola

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 16:19
Great! I got the NHS' PDF you suggested, Chris. 👍
User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 12:15

Paco, my husband, is on HT and has recently started SRT too for a 0.33 PSA level  BCR, PSMA TC PET showing  two spots, in an illiac lymph node and a seminal vesicle bed.

The onco's plann is 32 RT sessions and 24month HT, this counting from the moment RT is over (4 months already gone through) since I've read here that 18 month could be enough, (I guess depending on the case and the doctor's criteria) my question is : has someone here been scheduled for a certain period of time and then reduced or increased?

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 13:31

Lola, you have every reason to be hopeful.  I had a prostatectomy at the age of 46.  One year later, my PSA was increasing.  My psma scan showed 2 spots of cancer, one in an iliac node and another in the prostate bed.  18 months of hormone therapy and 33 sessions of radiotherapy. 

For the past 3 years, my psa has always been <0.006.  That's the lowest it can be measured.

The treatment your husband is having has every chance of success 

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 13:35
Likewise - John had salvage RT / HT in 2012 and his PSA stays steady at between <0.1 and 0.11 depending on the time of year.

Yes, it is possible for the HT plan to change; sometimes, men stop early and sometimes the oncologist recommends staying on it for longer.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 14:21

Ulsterman, Lynn, thanks a lot for your information and encouraging words. I'm happy that both John and you are doing pretty well and I hope Paco will do too.

Lynn, there's something I didn't get entirely. I got that sometimes men quit HT (on their own decision?) and oncos make them take it back again? Also it's not clear to me if doctors themselves, on any occasion, change the planning they had made for the patient in the view of any eventual test that might show a relevant good result before the deadline.

Thanks again and the best to you,

Lola

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 23:58
Doctors in the UK don't have the power to force a patient to have treatment against their wishes (unless the patient lacks capacity - and that would be tested in law) so if a man stopped HT, his oncologist couldn't nake him start again; he could only set out the reasons that he is recommending it.

Yes, if can happen that an onco starts off saying 2 years snd then later says actually 18 months will be fine ... but it isn't common.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2022 at 21:56

Hi all.

Paco is on HT and this morning had his 23th IMRT sesión. Some tiredness related to HT. As for IMRT so far so good, excepting for the fact that lately he needs to pee two or three times along the night. As every Thursday, he's seen the onco today and told him about it. The onco was surprised that Paco was not taking "Vesomni", but then the nurse made it clear that it was she that had removed it from the protocol schedule leaflet due to Paco's cataract forming stage. "Benefit is bigger than risk", the onco stated and suggested Paco taking "Vesomni" now. Ok, Paco started "Vesonmi" but  he complains he's feeling kind of dazed. I've told him to cut as going to the toilet three times a night is no big deal and he agrees. My question is: any problem peeing more frequently other that the nuisance itself?

You may find this question silly, but I better make sure we're doing right.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Lola

User
Posted 09 Jun 2022 at 22:42
Going to the toilet frequently during the night won't do any damage but it will increase the fatigue. Have you tried all the obvious things like cutting all irritants out of his diet? No caffeine or alcohol at all? Also, have you tried getting Paco to drink cranberry juice ... not squash or from concentrate, it needs to be pure cranberry juice. If you could find frozen or fresh cranberries and blend them into a juice yourself, that would be ideal; cranberry soothes the irritated bladder.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2022 at 23:33

You got me, Lyn, and your response is quite clarifying. Thanks a lot.

Paco is currently avoiding caffeine, alcohol and irritants in his diet, but no idea about the benefit of drinking cranberry juice. Of course we can easily but from any supermarket here. I'll do tomorrow. 

Thanks again!

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 23:01

This morning OH Paco had his weekly meeting with onco as every Thursday since RT start.

I asked him about the  expanse of the area targeted by the beam: just the very place the SV used to be, and the very place the illiac lymph node involved is, or a larger area surrounding those spots. He said the target is the SV bed and the  whole right pelvic lymph node area where the spot is, as well as the left one as a preventive measure.

Not that it sounded shocking to me, but somehow I felt kind of disappointed as I thought maybe only the one lymph node involved was being radiated. Is the relapse more serious than I supposed?

And I need to comment something else: Paco has some breast growth due to HT. I know it's a frequent side effect, but my question is: will his breast continue to grow? He's been on  every-three-month Eligard since February.

As for the rest, some tiredness but nothing unbearable.

I can't wait to go back home. We  chose him being treated in Madrid, 600Km away from our lovely house in the countryside on the Northwest of Spain and I have homesickness.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 07:26

Lola the target area is pretty standard so don't worry about that.

Re breast growth, they can zap them with radio therapy so make sure your onco is aware. You can also take an additional hormone therapy ask about that too.

Being homesick is awful but at least it will end when the RT does, well done for supporting Paco through all this..

Edited by member 17 Jun 2022 at 07:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 10:04

Thanks, Francij.

Reading your post while waiting for Paco's 19th radio sesión in the hospital.

We told the onco about breast growth and, as supposed, he said it is one of the frequent side effects. I don't think Radiotherapy is worthy, but the thing is I'm afraid Paco's breast grows bigger🤦🏻‍♀️. He tends to feel discomfort at anything weird or “improper”. He's quite a bit close-minded, he can't help it and I love him in a whole, despite us being so different each other. Believe it or not, when the onco let him know about the hormonal changes he was going to go through, he told me with a great determination “Do not ever mention it to anybody never ever”. I said, “Come on, this is not such a big deal, people don't hide this issue”. Luckily he's dealing with this mental stuff much better now.

I don’t know what's coming next according to the protocol. Blood work one month after the RT, and then?

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 21:55

I've seen something interesting in a Spanish newspaper. You may already know about it, but I'm telling you just in case you  don't. It's concerning some outcoming in castration resistant PC research. It's been published in SCIENCE (Transactional Medicine).  I'm not sure sharing links is allowed, but I don't think finding it by yourself is difficult. In any case, if no problem sharing here, I can always do.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 01:14
The breast growth can be stopped so don't be fobbed off..

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 08:26

Hello,

Is having rectal irritation and discomfort during pelvic radiation treatment normal or frequent? Is diarrhea due to radiation, to laxatives prescribed or to both of them?

Some comment or advice would be thanked.

Have a nice Sunday.

Lola.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 09:08

Lola, is Paco taking a laxative to ensure his bowels are empty for the radiotherapy?  My hospital always checked with me to see if I had had a bowel movement but never prescribed any laxatives.

I didn't need them as I got diarrhoea during my radiotherapy.  It was quite bad.  I was told to take imodium (loperamide).  But I had to be careful too as they didn't want me to get constipated either.

I think you need to speak to the Oncologist if Paco is still receiving radiotherapy.   He must be getting near the end though?

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 09:39

"Lola, is Paco taking a laxative to ensure his bowels are empty for the radiotherapy?"

Yes, Ulsterman, he is. In fact, he reduced the dosage from three bags of some powder to dissolve in water, to two bags. It's not that he's having extremely frequent motions, but whenever he has, the excrement is liquid.

I think you're right. I'll suggest Paco not taking the laxative today? 

Paco will tell the radiotherapist tomorrow and I'm sure he'll  referre Paco to the onco; his office is next door. 

Thanks a lot for your time and your helpful advice.

Enjoy your Sunday xxx