Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting Chemo

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 05:58

Morning!

my husband is starting chemo this week. I'd just like some advice on how it may effect him, and what i can do to help.

he is 55, has advances prostate cancer in the groinal lymph nodes.

thank you

User
Posted 28 Jul 2023 at 18:38

I had chemotherapy in a similar situation to your husband.  I had six sessions of Doxetaxel, which I think is standard.  I actually tolerated it pretty well.  I kept a written diary of my feelings and the effects I was experiencing each day.  I have just consulted my diary from five years ago - the first couple of days after the IV I felt fine.  Then from Day 3 - Day 9 or 10 I had aches and pains which were kept in check with regular paracetamol and Ibuprofen.  Yukky mouth with a coated metallic feel. Not interested in drinking wine!!  Just unpleasant but not really painful.  Day 11 feel much better and thereafter until the next infusion, drinking and eating well. I kept up a walking regime of around 3-5 km a day, even though I felt utterly fatigued throughout the cycle. 

I elected to have a cold cap during the infusion.  It wasn't (only!) vanity - I  just did not want to walk around with a bald head and for people who knew me to know I had cancer and to feel sorry for me.  The cold cap worked and I kept my full head of hair but I only managed to survive it by taking heavy duty paracetamol an hour before it started.  It was brutal (like eating very cold ice cream) but on balance worth it, just.

So, in conclusion.  It isn't pleasant but it is bearable at its worst and there are days later in the cycle when I felt fine if very tired.  In fact, I see we did two city breaks to Nice and Madrid during the good days towards the end of two cycle when you are less open to infection!!  I am now 6 years post diagnosis still with an undetectable PSA and I have to believe that the chemo has helped.   

User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 11:55

From other posts on here, I have heard the chemo used for prostate cancer does not have very bad side effects. Apparently it can leave an unpleasant metallic taste in the mouth, putting frozen pineapple cubes in the mouth during treatment apparently helps prevent this.

Hopefully others with more direct experience will reply with other tips.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jul 2023 at 11:55

From other posts on here, I have heard the chemo used for prostate cancer does not have very bad side effects. Apparently it can leave an unpleasant metallic taste in the mouth, putting frozen pineapple cubes in the mouth during treatment apparently helps prevent this.

Hopefully others with more direct experience will reply with other tips.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jul 2023 at 18:38

I had chemotherapy in a similar situation to your husband.  I had six sessions of Doxetaxel, which I think is standard.  I actually tolerated it pretty well.  I kept a written diary of my feelings and the effects I was experiencing each day.  I have just consulted my diary from five years ago - the first couple of days after the IV I felt fine.  Then from Day 3 - Day 9 or 10 I had aches and pains which were kept in check with regular paracetamol and Ibuprofen.  Yukky mouth with a coated metallic feel. Not interested in drinking wine!!  Just unpleasant but not really painful.  Day 11 feel much better and thereafter until the next infusion, drinking and eating well. I kept up a walking regime of around 3-5 km a day, even though I felt utterly fatigued throughout the cycle. 

I elected to have a cold cap during the infusion.  It wasn't (only!) vanity - I  just did not want to walk around with a bald head and for people who knew me to know I had cancer and to feel sorry for me.  The cold cap worked and I kept my full head of hair but I only managed to survive it by taking heavy duty paracetamol an hour before it started.  It was brutal (like eating very cold ice cream) but on balance worth it, just.

So, in conclusion.  It isn't pleasant but it is bearable at its worst and there are days later in the cycle when I felt fine if very tired.  In fact, I see we did two city breaks to Nice and Madrid during the good days towards the end of two cycle when you are less open to infection!!  I am now 6 years post diagnosis still with an undetectable PSA and I have to believe that the chemo has helped.   

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 09:28

Thank you Nevis.

I've shown your message to my husband, it's very reassuring. 

Thank you for taking the time to write so much.

He had chemo on Wed (it's now Sunday) and other than tiredness he hasn't noticed any side effects, thank goodness. 

Oh... except he had an allergic reaction to the chemo and had to have IV piriton and oxygen! Was scary but they sorted it.

Thanks, lorri