Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post op underwear

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 18:20

Hi

My Dad is due to have keyhole RP surgery soon. I am trying to put together a box of treats/useful things for the initial post op period. Would tight fitting boxers/hipsters or good ol' briefs/y-fronts be best post op? He is planning on wearing loose fitting joggers/shorts. Is there any particular type of soap that would be better- hibiscrub or unscented liquid /bar soap. Any other hints and tips would be gratefully received, particularly from those who've been through similar- hope you are all doing well.

Many Thanks!

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 18:47

HP

I wore snug but not tight elasticated short type underwear, it stopped the catheter from moving around to much, I also had a pad in my underwear to pick up any bypassing of urine.

Just in case the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore, instilagel or hydrocaine are available from a pharmacist without prescription at most chemists except Boots, who require a prescription. The above gels are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance they contain , anesthetic, antiseptic and lubrication. The hospital may give you some, it is a couple of pounds a syringe, you may not need it. Slight leaking of urine and blood from the penis can happen even with a catheter in, particularly when passing a motion.

Get a packet of your favourite biscuits for a midnight snack in hospital.

A bucket is often suggested, but medical advice is that the catheter should be supported not just left in the bottom of the bucket. I have never had a night bag leak, but did once disconnect the night bag before turning the leg bag tap off. Get an extra thigh strap from the hospital, attach the night bag tube to the leg bag outlet then attach the night bag tube to your ankle with the strap, it helps reduce the risk of pulling on the joints. PJ bottoms also help save any tangles. 

Hospital should provide ear plugs and eye mask.A ward can be very noisy at night. The guy opposite me had the noisiest carry bag in the world.

Try to avoid constipation

The following has lots of ideas.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29021-Practical-preparation-for-surgery#post278042

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 21:02

Just found the YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO3o_wv5sCM that shows the plaster and Vyne have them :)

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 22:16

Steve/HP the stick on catheter fixation device is called a statlock device, some UK hospitals do use them. Far better than legs straps, especially in warmer weather. They are are supposed to be changed every seven days but they will last longer. You can shower will them on and they will not come off even after seven days,other brands are not so good.

Different hospitals have different protocols when it comes to bags. The one night bag per day is better for infection control but from a survey on here some hospitals issue one per week. Leg bag change at three days may be slightly less at some hospitals, some say 5-7 days. Changing the leg bag is easy enough but just make sure the joint is secure when refitting. I always made sure the inside inside and out side of the bag and catheter were dry before refitting.

As advised hygiene is important to avoid problems.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 22:31

Agree with all the other posts. I have also heard that Cranberry juice is a natural anti-inflammatory and is good at preventing urinary / bladder infections.

Wishing your Dad all the best post-op πŸ‘

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 18:47

HP

I wore snug but not tight elasticated short type underwear, it stopped the catheter from moving around to much, I also had a pad in my underwear to pick up any bypassing of urine.

Just in case the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore, instilagel or hydrocaine are available from a pharmacist without prescription at most chemists except Boots, who require a prescription. The above gels are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance they contain , anesthetic, antiseptic and lubrication. The hospital may give you some, it is a couple of pounds a syringe, you may not need it. Slight leaking of urine and blood from the penis can happen even with a catheter in, particularly when passing a motion.

Get a packet of your favourite biscuits for a midnight snack in hospital.

A bucket is often suggested, but medical advice is that the catheter should be supported not just left in the bottom of the bucket. I have never had a night bag leak, but did once disconnect the night bag before turning the leg bag tap off. Get an extra thigh strap from the hospital, attach the night bag tube to the leg bag outlet then attach the night bag tube to your ankle with the strap, it helps reduce the risk of pulling on the joints. PJ bottoms also help save any tangles. 

Hospital should provide ear plugs and eye mask.A ward can be very noisy at night. The guy opposite me had the noisiest carry bag in the world.

Try to avoid constipation

The following has lots of ideas.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29021-Practical-preparation-for-surgery#post278042

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 18:57
I purchased y-fronts specifically for the post-op period as the support is welcomed with the catheter in place. I also bulk purchased Tena for Men Level 3, which in hindsight was overly pessimistic as I had pretty good continence as soon as the catheter was removed, so I wouldn't buy that many until I knew what the outcome was.

Unscented soap (Pears) and baby wipes is all that i used in order to keep the catheter and surrounding area clean.

Hope that helps!

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 20:33

Incredibly useful. Thanks so much😊

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 20:34

Very useful! Thanks so much😊

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 20:53

I don't know what your hospital will supply, but I watched a video from the USA where the guy had a stuck on patch on his inner thigh that held the catheter pipework in place - wearing Y fronts will help a lot but if you can find those support plasters they looked amazing and I wish I had had them.

I looked here https://www.vyne.co.uk/collections/catheter-clips but couldn't see the exact same but maybe a nurse can advise?

Also, they may not tell you, but the area around the catheter where it enters the penis and where it attaches to the day bag MUST be kept sterile at all times - so definitely get some antiseptic lotion and some sterile wipes for him. Also he will need the day bag changing every 3rd day and the night bag is replaced every day so make sure he has enough. Any contamination of the catheter and/or the valves of the day/night bags can lead to nasty infections that he really does not need.

A good supply of 1000mg paracetamol for the shoulder pain and he will be sleeping on his back for several nights - that gave me back pain so I kept up on the paracetamol every 6 hours whether I was in pain at that time or not.

Also some E45 cream that he can apply to the wounds when the dressings are removed.

I started with Tena pants for nighttime use for about a week after the catheter was removed with #3 day pads - then switched to the pads for nighttime. Get a urinal bottle that he can keep by the side of the bed - when he feels like going during the night, swing the legs off the side of the bed and sit up, drop the penis into the bottle and stand up - works every time!

I used a senokot tablet on the second day home to get things moving - something gentle but he needs a movement within 3-4 days

Remind him that he needs to get up and walk around every hour - even just around the house, this is to avoid thrombosis and to avoid needing those awful compression stockings. Just don't over do it.

Wish him good luck and tell him that it's all straightforward and far easier than he is expecting!! - Apart from the shoulder pain which is a b***h :)

Edited by member 31 Jul 2023 at 20:57  | Reason: link

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 21:02

Just found the YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO3o_wv5sCM that shows the plaster and Vyne have them :)

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 21:11

Thank you, that was very useful.....he's already pulled one of his shoulders at work, and I'd heard that keyhole surgery can cause shoulder pain too. I will make sure he takes pain killers!😊

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 22:16

Steve/HP the stick on catheter fixation device is called a statlock device, some UK hospitals do use them. Far better than legs straps, especially in warmer weather. They are are supposed to be changed every seven days but they will last longer. You can shower will them on and they will not come off even after seven days,other brands are not so good.

Different hospitals have different protocols when it comes to bags. The one night bag per day is better for infection control but from a survey on here some hospitals issue one per week. Leg bag change at three days may be slightly less at some hospitals, some say 5-7 days. Changing the leg bag is easy enough but just make sure the joint is secure when refitting. I always made sure the inside inside and out side of the bag and catheter were dry before refitting.

As advised hygiene is important to avoid problems.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 22:31

Agree with all the other posts. I have also heard that Cranberry juice is a natural anti-inflammatory and is good at preventing urinary / bladder infections.

Wishing your Dad all the best post-op πŸ‘

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 23:18

Ring the PCUK helpline and ask for a post surgery pack. Extremely useful. “Proper pants” were the name of the game in our house and helped with support rather than boxer/trunk style. Joggers or something comfy with an elasticated waist. Glass of Prune juice once a day kept everything moving naturally as constipation is a definitely no. Hope all goes to plan πŸ™

Edited by member 04 Aug 2023 at 08:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2023 at 09:33

Proper pants it is! Don't think my Dad is trendy enough for the trunk style boxers 🀣 Thanks for those tips!