I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Opted for surgery

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 08:52

Hi, My name is Matthew Patrick Cooke (Pat) aged 65 in north wales. (Irish) I was diagnosed with stage 2 prostate cancer last week, met with cancer nurse and my consultant 2 days ago. After reading the literature and the 2 options, surgery or hormone therapy and radiotherapy I’ve decided on surgery as I’m fairly fit for my age, I run/walk 50/60 miles a week. 
Has anyone here had surgery with a good recovery?

TIA

Pat

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 17:19
I'm age 62 and in reasonable health - had the op on May 12 and it was much easier than I ever expected. Only issue was the severe shoulder pain caused by the CO2 gas they inflate your abdomen with - keep taking the paracetamol as soon as they offer it and keep it up.

I am now continent again apart from sneezes so have 1 pad a day. Due to the cancer spreading outside the prostate (only found out during the op), they removed my nerves so now permanent ED but we found solutions for this which doesn't involve penetration so still enjoying a good sex life.

Post op, I did suffer from a lymphocele that needed draining - no biggie, just an overnight in hospital.

I'd do it again if I had to without hesitation

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 20:09

Just beware that support groups are not representative of outcomes. Those with good outcomes don't need support and are less likely to stay in support groups, whereas those with problems are more likely to stay in groups. So yes, many people have a good recovery, but they are less likely to be here.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 15:11
I am fully recovered now 8 years later! Well still need a little rubber assistant for sex but otherwise fully recovered.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 14:23

Hi Matthew. There's plenty on this forum (including me) who have had surgery with varying outcomes. As for physical recovery it it takes a few weeks but most do make a good recovery. Most are cured although quite a few of us (circa a third) need salvage radiotherapy to finish the job off.

What you really need to read up on is the potential side effects of surgery and those of the alternative HT and RT. Deciding on the treatment option is always  difficult as you don't know for sure which side effects you will get and to what degree. Best thing at this stage is to read up as much as you can on each. Prostate Cancer UK website is a good place to start

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 15:04

Hi Matthew

I had surgery 12 years ago, at the age of 71, very fit with no other health issues. My PSA level has remained at 0.003 since three months after the surgery. I was lucky to be able to pick one of the best and experienced surgeons (private insurance) in our area who did a wonderful job during the surgery which lasted nearly 6 hours because of the problem with reconnecting urethra to the bladder. I am not 100% continent because I tend to leak when sexually excited. As for ED my erections were waining because of my age anyway and as I expected there was further deterioration. I was probably one of the first few in this country to undergo robot assisted procedure. You are in a very good position because there are many surgeons out there with good experience. We have been  able to deal with the side effects and are still enjoying an active intimate life with unexpected benefits. Have a look at the following link which shows that it is possible to navigate through all the difficulties back to a new normal:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

Be optimistic and with a bit of luck all will be well. Let me know how you get on; I will be pleased to help in whatever way I can because, have been through the mill, we know how you will feel before and after the surgery. Good luck.

Edited by member 05 Aug 2023 at 15:22  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 17:05

Hi Mathew I am younger than you but have a similar passion for long distance walking. So honestly despite being really fit it took me until 2 months after surgery to start getting my hiking distances up. First week following surgery I could manage to the corner of the road a few times a day. Anything more than that and I knew about it. Listen to your body, don't expect too much of yourself and take it one day at a time.

In the year following surgery I have got back to where I was previously. Which was regular 20+ miles.

My biggest concern was being incontinent which would have made doing what I love more difficult. Fortunately I was only incontinent for a short time and that only amounted to a few drips. Pelvic floor exercises 6 times a day soon resolved that issue.

Edited by member 07 Aug 2023 at 00:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 17:19
I'm age 62 and in reasonable health - had the op on May 12 and it was much easier than I ever expected. Only issue was the severe shoulder pain caused by the CO2 gas they inflate your abdomen with - keep taking the paracetamol as soon as they offer it and keep it up.

I am now continent again apart from sneezes so have 1 pad a day. Due to the cancer spreading outside the prostate (only found out during the op), they removed my nerves so now permanent ED but we found solutions for this which doesn't involve penetration so still enjoying a good sex life.

Post op, I did suffer from a lymphocele that needed draining - no biggie, just an overnight in hospital.

I'd do it again if I had to without hesitation

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 20:09

Just beware that support groups are not representative of outcomes. Those with good outcomes don't need support and are less likely to stay in support groups, whereas those with problems are more likely to stay in groups. So yes, many people have a good recovery, but they are less likely to be here.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 20:44

Hi Pat,

In my opinion there’s nothing like speaking to other men in person who’ve been through treatment for PCa. I would recommend you go along to your local Maggies centre(if you have one) and join a support group where you will find men who’ve had all kinds of treatments. The other benefit is you can speak to men who have undergone the treatment in your area..and they can share their experiences with the surgeon or oncologist that would treat YOU.
What I’ve found in these groups is a mixture of men who have had good and some not so good outcomes…they come along to the meetings before treatment for support and tend to stay on, some for years after because they form a bond with other members, and also get some satisfaction of being able to help others through their journey.

In the Maggies Group I am in in Fife, those who’ve had surgery are ALL very positive, even with the side effects such as ED and incontinence, those on HT/RT route maybe not so much because of the side effects mainly from HT….and that certainly includes me, I wish I had been given the option of surgery. You might be on HT for up to 3 years and ok, the side effects should start to get better when you come off…I am hoping for this because I can deal with the ED, Hot flushes, brain fog, total loss of libido, weight gain, fatigue/tiredness and Peyronie’s disease…..but at the moment I am battling with joint stiffness and aches which can be quite debilitating at times. Of course not everyone gets these side effects but you should be aware that you might. You need to balance this against the side effects and risks of surgery to make your decision. Now that you’ve made your decision you will hopefully feel better, especially after the reassurance you get from here.

Good luck with your treatment.

Derek

Edited by member 05 Aug 2023 at 20:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Aug 2023 at 23:40

Pat

I had a robotically assisted radical prostatectomy on 23rd December last year. The operation was very straightforward with the surgeon being able to spare the nerves. Like everyone else who has had surgery, I was given painkillers and had bought paracetamol in anticipation of there being subsequent pain. This didn’t happen and I took myself off any form of pain relief after two days.

Recovery-wise, I have full control of my bladder and have been in that position for about five months. The catheter was the worst part of the procedure for me, but after it was removed after 12 days I was fortunate enough to only need two pads a day. Tiredness was an issue but your strength will build back up, just let your body tell you when it’s ready to push on with exercise.

Support groups are useful and I was put in contact with one at the hospital where the procedure was carried out. I found it useful sharing experiences with others who have been through the operation.

This website is also a godsend - there is a lot of good advice.

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 09:06
Hi Pat,

It's just over six weeks since my robotic assisted prostatectomy, following a T2 and Gleason 7 (3+4) grading.

All has gone surprising well given the range of expectations that I had set for me beforehand. I followed guidance i was given, starting with gentle walking from day two and once the catheter was removed (+ 11 days), I recommenced daily walks which were typically 8 miles pre op and are now approx. 6 miles at >4 mph.

Much of the information available is a bit vague as to what exactly you can do when. The patient information I was given on discharge says "8 weeks before any strenuous exercise", however last week my surgeon told me not to return to the gym for 16 weeks due to the risk of a hernia, which surprised me, but I'll take notice.

Simply, I think the pace of recovery depends on so many variables, one of which is luck and the key message is to take it step by step, listen to your body and not be impatient with recovery timescales, which can be easier said than done.

I'm as keen as anyone to get back to doing what I did previously as time and the good weather is passing by, so have to give myself a good talking to now and again!

All the best,

Mark

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 15:19

Pat

sorry about your diagnosis but at least it is early. I am 57 and was diagnosed in February this year - fortunately early. Like you I did a lot of walking.  I opted for surgery after considering the various options. The clincher for me was the oncologist saying they’d have surgery in my position. I had the surgery just after Easter. I am now c. 4 months post surgery and walk c. 20,000 steps + per day in 2 stints. Maximum has been around 6 miles non stop. I’ve only been doing that for around 2/3 weeks. I’ve not yet return the gym as advice was stay off lifting anything heavy for as long as possible. Patience is key. At around 2 months I tried too much 2/3 mile walks and it set me back a couple of weeks. I’m now down to 1 pad occasionally 2 per 24 hours so progressing. Main issue is stamina. I get tired more easily. Good luck

User
Posted 06 Aug 2023 at 22:40

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Yes. 50 at diagnosis and surgery (in 2020). Very fit from cycling several thousand miles per year.

You can see my story in my profile, but I followed the instructions I was given to the letter and have had a very good outcome so far. I don't come here very often these days, but look in from time to time for EXACTLY the reason Andy stated. Very often in places like these forums, the majority of people who stick around are the ones for whom things didn't go so well, so you get to hear about all the bad things that can happen. And those for whom it went well disappear into the sunset, so you can get a slightly distorted picture.

15 years younger than you though, which can make some difference, but rest assured it CAN go really well.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2023 at 11:13

I had surgery at 58. Was very fit for my age and had no issues with recovery. BUT I'd say it was a good 6 months or more before I was fully back to where I was . Really important to take it easy for a while although I found walking helped a lot. Good luck 

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 15:11
I am fully recovered now 8 years later! Well still need a little rubber assistant for sex but otherwise fully recovered.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 16:17

Francij1, great news really pleased for you. I hope it continues.

Thanks Chris