I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostatectomy next week. Suggestions re hospital stay?

User
Posted 24 Oct 2023 at 22:20

First post here. I'm having an RP next week by robotic surgery, so hopefully only one night in hospital. Just wondering if there are any hints and tips on what I should be taking for my stay, apart from the obvious such as PJs!

Thanks in anticipation. 

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 00:11

Hello,

Best of luck for your RP next week.

I sent my husband in with peppermint tea to try and help release the gas you might have afterwards also cranberry juice hoping it might stave off any infection. I bought a tube of instilagel in case there was any soreness at the end of the penis because of the catheter (he never needed it). They should have you on some laxatives straight away but I packed some for him just in case. It was covid times so I wasn’t allowed to visit.

I’m sure others might come on with other suggestions too.

Hope all goes well.

Elaine

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 05:52

Firstly best of luck. I had surgery at Easter. Before I went in I got all personal grooming sorted - hair cut toe nails clipped etc. In hospital a pack of favourite biscuits was a treat for that midnight munch and some lip balm and moisturiser as it was very dry in the ward. 

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 07:44

Good morning.

I had RARP 9 months ago. I was amazed how short a stay it was considering it's classed as major surgery.

I wish I'd taken in some wet wipes to freshen up down below. I don't know if they use gel or something but l felt very greasy, as slippery as an eel or in my case a tiddler.

Post op I can remember looking beneath the sheets and thinking they've given me a sex change by mistake.

I  also wish I'd taken in a thank you card for the nurses who were magnificent.

As Elaine said be prepared for for an inflated belly. I think they pump gas into your abdomen to keep the organs inside more separated. I felt like I was a space hopper when I woke up.

Oh! Ear plugs. I can snore for England but some of the others made me sound second division. 

Best of luck mate but if you get the sort of staff I had, you'll find it a breeze.

Adrian

Edited by member 25 Oct 2023 at 07:49  | Reason: Missed words

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 08:03

A,

I wore snug but not tight elasticated short type underwear, it stopped the catheter from moving around to much, I also had a pad in my underwear to pick up any bypassing of urine.

Just in case the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore, instilagel or hydrocaine are available from a pharmacist without prescription at most chemists except Boots, who require a prescription. The above gels are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance they contain , anesthetic, antiseptic and lubrication. The hospital may give you some, it is a couple of pounds a syringe, you may not need it. Slight leaking of urine and blood from the penis can happen even with a catheter in, particularly when passing a motion.

Get a packet of your favourite biscuits for a midnight snack in hospital.

A bucket is often suggested, but medical advice is that the catheter should be supported not just left in the bottom of the bucket. I have never had a night bag leak, but did once disconnect the night bag before turning the leg bag tap off. Get an extra thigh strap from the hospital, attach the night bag tube to the leg bag outlet then attach the night bag tube to your ankle with the strap, it helps reduce the risk of pulling on the joints. PJ bottoms also help save any tangles. 

Hospital should provide ear plugs and eye mask.A ward can be very noisy at night. The guy opposite me had the noisiest carriers bag in the world.

Try to avoid constipation

The following has lots of ideas.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29021-Practical-preparation-for-surgery#post278042

Hope all goes well.

Thanks  Chris 

Edited by member 25 Oct 2023 at 08:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 08:21
For the operation, ear plugs definitely - the rest is taken care of by the hospital. When they offer paracetemol take it - the shoulder pain/discomfort is the worst part of it but only lasts a few days.
You will be wearing compression stockings in hospital or in my case I had air inflated leg muffs - couldn't sleep the first night but as they were so noisy they put me in a private room.

A pair of tightish boxers will help when you leave to stop the catheter pipework from swinging about.

Best of luck - it's not as bad as you are anticipating :)
User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 08:27

Hi,

Cant offer any personal advice as surgery wasn’t an option for me unfortunately but I wish you the best of luck. Be patient with your recovery is what I hear from my friends at Maggies who have been through this, and don’t worry if at some point it takes a step back as far as continence goes.

All the best

Derek

User
Posted 25 Oct 2023 at 08:28
Thanks all! Really helpful.

Those of you who recognise my username can probably guess what I'll be listening to on Spotify!