I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Surgery date at last!!

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 20:19

Steve received call today for his RARP date….10th January, so not long to wait.

Just for anyone wondering about timescales, had meeting with surgeon and listed for surgery on 22nd August, op date has been a bit longer than initially thought due to ongoing Doctor strikes.  We are relieved to know the date so we can plan our lives again!

been following and taking everything relevant to our situation from you wonderful, ‘experienced’ people on here and we are very grateful for your insights and support.  Onwards and upwards (well hopefully/eventually) but whatever happens next, staying positive and Steve just relieved that the first step of ‘getting it out’ is finally going to happen.

will update post surgery etc… for now we will do our best to make the most of the festive season and wish you all the very best.

Debbie

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 20:19

Just for anyone wondering about timescales, had meeting with surgeon and listed for surgery on 22nd August, op date has been a bit longer than initially thought due to ongoing Doctor strikes.  We are relieved to know the date so we can plan our lives again!

been following and taking everything relevant to our situation from you wonderful, ‘experienced’ people on here and we are very grateful for your insights and support.  Onwards and upwards (well hopefully/eventually) but whatever happens next, staying positive and Steve just relieved that the first step of ‘getting it out’ is finally going to happen.

will update post surgery etc… for now we will do our best to make the most of the festive season and wish you all the very best.

Debbie

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 21:48

Hi, Debbie.

That's great news. I wish you and Steve the very best and hope everything goes well. We'll be here to share your experience.

Happy Xmas!

Edited by member 22 Dec 2023 at 22:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 22:15

That’s terrific news Debbie. I’m glad you can now crack on and get it done, then Steve can be on the road to recovery.

Have a great Christmas both of you.

Ian.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 00:30

DJC, hope all goes well in January. Might be worth looking at people's pre and post surgery advice in the link below.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29907-RP-surgery-tomorrow#post287726

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 07:46

Good luck to Steve with his operation Debbie and enjoy Christmas!

Derek

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 08:03

Debbie

its a journey nine of us wanted to go on, but as you have found from this forum, we get there with the support of our loved ones and from those who have already been there.

Yesterday was the first anniversary of my RARP, and I felt lucky that I was diagnosed quickly and that the consultant gave me the best opportunity of a long and healthy life.

10th January is my wife’s birthday and while we celebrate, I’ll have a drink for you to celebrate your husband’s start of his recovery.

Enjoy Christmas and all the best for 2024.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 13:16
Good news Debbie, onwards and upwards. Lots of support on here. My hubby has his RARP in March 2022 and has recovered well. We continue to keep all crossed. Best wishes.
User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 07:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thinking of you both. Best of luck for tomorrow. Please let us know how you get on.

Very best wishes. 

Adrian.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 09:53
Thank you Adrian! Yes of course, I will update on here as soon as I can, in the hope that it helps and informs others following behind us as that has been so helpful to us on here.

We are heading off to Blackburn today, booked ourselves into a very nice hotel (it’s not the occasion for the blank walls of a travel lodge!)…just so we are there and don’t fall foul of any unforeseen motorway hold ups etc. I will leave Steve in the capable hands of the Royal Blackburn tomorrow morning and keep everything crossed!

I’m going to be staying half an hour down the road with our son and family in Chorley for the couple of nights we expect him to be in hospital (distracted I’m sure by our 3 year old twin grand daughters).

We can’t wait to get it over and done with, Steve is terrified as fear of the unknown has kicked in, having never been in hospital in his 62 years! I’m apprehensive on what we will be told after the op…but, whatever, we will deal with it!

Am hoping I get him home on Friday as it’s our wedding anniversary (39th)…a quiet one I think!!!

Onwards and upwards!

Debbie

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 10:07

Have you got a packet of your favourite biscuits for after the op. Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 10:48
Good luck for tomorrow, and hope he's back home for your anniversary! Sensible decision to stay close to the hospital. We had 10 miles of the M62 to contend with on the morning of my op nine weeks ago. Fortunately it was behaving itself that day.
User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 15:21
Good luck to Steve for tomorrow Debbie, it’s only natural to be nervous of first time surgery ,as was I, but once the anaesthetist has done his job it’s like a few seconds & you are back on the ward, surgery over.

The best advice I could give for the overnight stay in hospital is a good pair of ear plugs & maybe an eye mask, their is lots of noise & lights from the monitors on the ward. I am a light sleeper & never got a winks sleep overnight.

Once again best of luck & let us know how everything went.

Jeff.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 16:21

Thank you everyone! ….yes biccies packed! Steve’s insisting he won’t need them, but we will see!

Edited by member 09 Jan 2024 at 16:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 18:33
Good luck Steve👍
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 21:48

Hi, Debbie.

That's great news. I wish you and Steve the very best and hope everything goes well. We'll be here to share your experience.

Happy Xmas!

Edited by member 22 Dec 2023 at 22:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 22:15

That’s terrific news Debbie. I’m glad you can now crack on and get it done, then Steve can be on the road to recovery.

Have a great Christmas both of you.

Ian.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 00:30

DJC, hope all goes well in January. Might be worth looking at people's pre and post surgery advice in the link below.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29907-RP-surgery-tomorrow#post287726

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 07:46

Good luck to Steve with his operation Debbie and enjoy Christmas!

Derek

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 08:03

Debbie

its a journey nine of us wanted to go on, but as you have found from this forum, we get there with the support of our loved ones and from those who have already been there.

Yesterday was the first anniversary of my RARP, and I felt lucky that I was diagnosed quickly and that the consultant gave me the best opportunity of a long and healthy life.

10th January is my wife’s birthday and while we celebrate, I’ll have a drink for you to celebrate your husband’s start of his recovery.

Enjoy Christmas and all the best for 2024.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 13:16
Good news Debbie, onwards and upwards. Lots of support on here. My hubby has his RARP in March 2022 and has recovered well. We continue to keep all crossed. Best wishes.
User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 07:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thinking of you both. Best of luck for tomorrow. Please let us know how you get on.

Very best wishes. 

Adrian.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 09:53
Thank you Adrian! Yes of course, I will update on here as soon as I can, in the hope that it helps and informs others following behind us as that has been so helpful to us on here.

We are heading off to Blackburn today, booked ourselves into a very nice hotel (it’s not the occasion for the blank walls of a travel lodge!)…just so we are there and don’t fall foul of any unforeseen motorway hold ups etc. I will leave Steve in the capable hands of the Royal Blackburn tomorrow morning and keep everything crossed!

I’m going to be staying half an hour down the road with our son and family in Chorley for the couple of nights we expect him to be in hospital (distracted I’m sure by our 3 year old twin grand daughters).

We can’t wait to get it over and done with, Steve is terrified as fear of the unknown has kicked in, having never been in hospital in his 62 years! I’m apprehensive on what we will be told after the op…but, whatever, we will deal with it!

Am hoping I get him home on Friday as it’s our wedding anniversary (39th)…a quiet one I think!!!

Onwards and upwards!

Debbie

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 10:07

Have you got a packet of your favourite biscuits for after the op. Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 10:48
Good luck for tomorrow, and hope he's back home for your anniversary! Sensible decision to stay close to the hospital. We had 10 miles of the M62 to contend with on the morning of my op nine weeks ago. Fortunately it was behaving itself that day.
User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 15:21
Good luck to Steve for tomorrow Debbie, it’s only natural to be nervous of first time surgery ,as was I, but once the anaesthetist has done his job it’s like a few seconds & you are back on the ward, surgery over.

The best advice I could give for the overnight stay in hospital is a good pair of ear plugs & maybe an eye mask, their is lots of noise & lights from the monitors on the ward. I am a light sleeper & never got a winks sleep overnight.

Once again best of luck & let us know how everything went.

Jeff.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 16:21

Thank you everyone! ….yes biccies packed! Steve’s insisting he won’t need them, but we will see!

Edited by member 09 Jan 2024 at 16:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2024 at 18:33
Good luck Steve👍