Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My partner for the diagnosis yesterday

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 02:53

Greetings Guys,

My partner (60 y o Black man, apparently bigger risk group being Black) was diagnosed with prostate cancer Gleason 9 yesterday. Shock and horror to say the least. Still up at 3 am reading internet and your group seems so positive and supportive with so many inspiring stories.

I have a few questions to you guys. 

His big concern is sex life, he never had problems with erection etc, and still is in a good shape regarding sex/erection. He is panicking the possible upcoming treatments will affect or destroy his sex life. I understand it is a sensitive question, but any guys out there that can comment? I am of course more worried about his life expectancy, any pain, loss of hair etc, but I tried googling "sex vs prostate cancer", no answers really on internet. One website says there is no connection between erection and prostate, while other sites say sex life may be affected quite severely. No idea who to believe. 

Of course, we are still waiting for results/advise from the NHS, as the news only broke yesterday. So noone spoke to us really yet, the news were delivered via phone call from NHS nurse.

I understand that Gleason 9 is very high, it ranges from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest? Of course this sounds very scary. 

He was diagnosed from routine prostate check. He is in a good heath and never had any issues with prostate. So it shows how important it is to check prostate regularly for men. I must confess that he never checked his prostate until now (when he hit 60, Nhs started sending him all sorts of random tests to check his overall health, prostate being one of routine tests), as you know how men are about those checks, besides, always felt great physically (and still does!). 

I just had to write this as I don't really want to talk to anyone I know just yet. Cannot scare his elderly parents (in their 80s), and I don't know anyone personally, who went through prostate cancer (and people probably would not be too vocal about it, if they even did). Good to see you guys on here supporting one another and spreading positivity. I am very scared right now, and so is my partner. 

Good news I read on google, that survival rate for prostate cancer patients is close to 100%, so I hope we do not have to worry about the worst outcome. But once you hear C word, of course you paint the worst picture in your head. 

Thank you. And I hope it is ok that I shared here on his behalf, seems it is a platform for mainly blokes. 

Sending love and speedy complete recovery to all who encountered his problem. 

Kind regards,

Debbie

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 17:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 08:24

Debbie 

You’ve come to the right place for information! I have very limited knowledge of prostate cancer compared to others who contribute to this forum, and can only comment from my personal experience.

i was diagnosed October 2022 and also had a Gleason score of 9. The surgeon recommended a radical prostatectomy which was successfully carried out in the December. In answer to your main query, yes, there is an impact on sex life. Although I had a nerve-sparing procedure I am currently unable to get an erection even with the prescribed medication. There is improvement but a ling way to go. All is not lost as it is still possible to enjoy intimacy through finding other ways of satisfying each other. I have been prescribed a vacuum pump which with the use of constriction rings allows me to have an erection and enjoyable intercourse.

There are several contributors who will in time read your post and provide more detailed information than I am able to. 

I am surprised your consultant has not explained the after-effects of treatment which vary according to the treatment but do impact on your sex life. Speaking with one of the cancer nurses may help.

if you search the conversations you will find that this is a popular topic amongst men - we all want to resume an active sex life!

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:35
So just to add my 2 cents.

I was diagnosed with G7 which became G9 after surgery which was non nerve sparing and so no more natural erections. Bugger!

So we started experimenting with my floppy willy and there was still plenty of fun to be had with that - I found the orgasms to be more enjoyable than before and a lot less messy!

We did try a vacuum pump which gave me a very hard erection - more so than before the surgery but the constriction rings were uncomfortable and it created a hinge effect that made it quite awkward - less of making love, more of a comedy hour LOL

So a chat with my urologist and she has prescribed me the French equivalent of Caverject which is an injection you put in the side of your penis and 10 minutes later you are ready for action - I have my first demo at the hospital next week to determine what dose is required. Apparently the erection will last about 30 minutes so my wife wants to know what we are going to do for the extra 25!!!

You can only use the injections up to twice a week which is fine for us - and apparently it's not painful injecting it - time will tell.

So tell him not to worry about that side of things - there are solutions :)

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 10:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Apparently the erection will last about 30 minutes so my wife wants to know what we are going to do for the extra 25!!!

😆

I had that problem. We bought some curtain rings and play hoopla. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 15:15

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. When I was diagnosed over 12 years ago my wife and I had two main questions: In the order of our priorities, (a) will I survive and if I do (b) what about our sex life? The question of survival is a difficult one to answer, of course, but the range of modern treatments are amazingly successful; you can be very optimistic about his prognosis. As for erectile dysfunction (ED) I don't think he should worry about it too much. Even if he has serious ED following any treatment, there are many well proven methods of overcoming that hurdle. I had robot-assisted surgery to remove the prostate 12 years ago and I suffer from ED as well as very minor incontinence. We are still enjoying our life including our sex life. In many ways re-establishing your sex life should be the least of his concern. Sex life after prostate cancer may never be the same as before but it is possible to achieve a new normal as we have done. He may be encouraged by reading about our experience in the following link:

This is a great forum with a wealth of experience - let us know how you are getting on. 

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 15:22  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 02:53

Greetings Guys,

My partner (60 y o Black man, apparently bigger risk group being Black) was diagnosed with prostate cancer Gleason 9 yesterday. Shock and horror to say the least. Still up at 3 am reading internet and your group seems so positive and supportive with so many inspiring stories.

I have a few questions to you guys. 

His big concern is sex life, he never had problems with erection etc, and still is in a good shape regarding sex/erection. He is panicking the possible upcoming treatments will affect or destroy his sex life. I understand it is a sensitive question, but any guys out there that can comment? I am of course more worried about his life expectancy, any pain, loss of hair etc, but I tried googling "sex vs prostate cancer", no answers really on internet. One website says there is no connection between erection and prostate, while other sites say sex life may be affected quite severely. No idea who to believe. 

Of course, we are still waiting for results/advise from the NHS, as the news only broke yesterday. So noone spoke to us really yet, the news were delivered via phone call from NHS nurse.

I understand that Gleason 9 is very high, it ranges from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest? Of course this sounds very scary. 

He was diagnosed from routine prostate check. He is in a good heath and never had any issues with prostate. So it shows how important it is to check prostate regularly for men. I must confess that he never checked his prostate until now (when he hit 60, Nhs started sending him all sorts of random tests to check his overall health, prostate being one of routine tests), as you know how men are about those checks, besides, always felt great physically (and still does!). 

I just had to write this as I don't really want to talk to anyone I know just yet. Cannot scare his elderly parents (in their 80s), and I don't know anyone personally, who went through prostate cancer (and people probably would not be too vocal about it, if they even did). Good to see you guys on here supporting one another and spreading positivity. I am very scared right now, and so is my partner. 

Good news I read on google, that survival rate for prostate cancer patients is close to 100%, so I hope we do not have to worry about the worst outcome. But once you hear C word, of course you paint the worst picture in your head. 

Thank you. And I hope it is ok that I shared here on his behalf, seems it is a platform for mainly blokes. 

Sending love and speedy complete recovery to all who encountered his problem. 

Kind regards,

Debbie

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 17:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:05

Hi Debbie, sorry that you've had to find us but I'm glad you have. There are lots of other ladies on the forum who are concerned about the men in their lives who have this disease.

The good news is the health check showed there was a problem, generally the earlier it's  detected, the better the likelihood of good outcomes.

Yes,  you're right, basically the higher the Gleason score the more serious the disease. Ethnicity and family history are factors that can increase the risks of catching it.

Your fella will be advised what treatment options are open to him. Unfortunately most of them will have side effects including erectile dysfunction.

Take things, together, one step at a time and try not to get ahead of yourselves.

Good luck and best wishes to both of you.

Adrian

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 09:12  | Reason: Spelling

User

Sorry to hear what the two of you are going through.

You won't know which treatments are suitable for him until the end of the diagnosis process, at which point they'll tell you which treatments are most suitable for his cancer. Sometimes you have a choice of treatments with similar survival rates, but with different side effects, and then you can factor in things like the importance of erectile function to the two of you, and take that in to consideration. No treatments can guarantee not to impact that but the risks vary. The fact he has good erectile function to start with is a big help.

You are in the most anxiety generating part of the pathway when everything is new, and you can't imagine what the future holds but it sounds bad. When he finishes diagnosis and you get a treatment plan in place, and you have leaned more about the pathway, anxiety levels usually reduce.

Feel free to ask us anything. You might also look for a local support group. There are a few Black men's support groups in the country if he'd prefer that and if one is near enough, but any of the support groups would welcome you.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 10:24
8 years after prostate surgery and Sex is great. Yes I need a cock ring as a prop but all is good. He doesn't really have any options with a G9 if he wants a chance of reaching 75.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:49

Hi Debbie,

I am different to the other contributors on here(so far) in that I went(not by choice) down the HT/RT route.

Although I’m 67,  I had a very active sex life beforehand. Going down this route I would say:

ED is highly likely to happen, either completely or partially.
He will probably experience a total lack of libido. I thought I would get frustrated but I don’t, I just get sad that I don’t have the sex life I use to have.

Having said that, we still have a good sex life, it’s just different, we have sexual outercourse rather than intercourse. I can still pleasure my wife and also have intense orgasms with the correct techniques and toys.

if going down this route I would recommend 

if you can, get an appointment with your ED nurse if you have one.
Get a vacum pump and use it as often as possible to exercise the penis and stop penile atrophy
If you don’t already do so explore various sex toys which might work for you both. I can’t orgasm through penetration at the moment as the sensitivity is just not there, but with the help of a male masturbator and foreplay I can still have a VERY good time😊

So, all is not lost, yes your sex life will probably not be the same but you can still have one if you make the effort, and you have to ask yourself the question ‘What’s more important? My life of my sex life’

Hopefully once my HT is over I can regain SOME of my formal sex life🤞

All the best,

Derek

Good luck on your journey,

Derek

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:52

Can't sugar coat it sex is never the same after treatment you have to be extremely lucky to have a sex life as good as before we tried and then decided to give up on the sex despite my wife being in her late thirty's we have been much closer since this we can't be bothering with pumps or injection's that take the spontaneous acts away fair play to those who chose other way's to carry on but it's never the same after treatment ☹️  gaz

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 08:24

Debbie 

You’ve come to the right place for information! I have very limited knowledge of prostate cancer compared to others who contribute to this forum, and can only comment from my personal experience.

i was diagnosed October 2022 and also had a Gleason score of 9. The surgeon recommended a radical prostatectomy which was successfully carried out in the December. In answer to your main query, yes, there is an impact on sex life. Although I had a nerve-sparing procedure I am currently unable to get an erection even with the prescribed medication. There is improvement but a ling way to go. All is not lost as it is still possible to enjoy intimacy through finding other ways of satisfying each other. I have been prescribed a vacuum pump which with the use of constriction rings allows me to have an erection and enjoyable intercourse.

There are several contributors who will in time read your post and provide more detailed information than I am able to. 

I am surprised your consultant has not explained the after-effects of treatment which vary according to the treatment but do impact on your sex life. Speaking with one of the cancer nurses may help.

if you search the conversations you will find that this is a popular topic amongst men - we all want to resume an active sex life!

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 09:05

Hi Debbie, sorry that you've had to find us but I'm glad you have. There are lots of other ladies on the forum who are concerned about the men in their lives who have this disease.

The good news is the health check showed there was a problem, generally the earlier it's  detected, the better the likelihood of good outcomes.

Yes,  you're right, basically the higher the Gleason score the more serious the disease. Ethnicity and family history are factors that can increase the risks of catching it.

Your fella will be advised what treatment options are open to him. Unfortunately most of them will have side effects including erectile dysfunction.

Take things, together, one step at a time and try not to get ahead of yourselves.

Good luck and best wishes to both of you.

Adrian

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 09:12  | Reason: Spelling

User

Sorry to hear what the two of you are going through.

You won't know which treatments are suitable for him until the end of the diagnosis process, at which point they'll tell you which treatments are most suitable for his cancer. Sometimes you have a choice of treatments with similar survival rates, but with different side effects, and then you can factor in things like the importance of erectile function to the two of you, and take that in to consideration. No treatments can guarantee not to impact that but the risks vary. The fact he has good erectile function to start with is a big help.

You are in the most anxiety generating part of the pathway when everything is new, and you can't imagine what the future holds but it sounds bad. When he finishes diagnosis and you get a treatment plan in place, and you have leaned more about the pathway, anxiety levels usually reduce.

Feel free to ask us anything. You might also look for a local support group. There are a few Black men's support groups in the country if he'd prefer that and if one is near enough, but any of the support groups would welcome you.

User

I was diagnosed with G7 which became G9 after surgery which was non nerve sparing and so no more natural erections. Bugger!

So we started experimenting with my floppy willy and there was still plenty of fun to be had with that - I found the orgasms to be more enjoyable than before and a lot less messy!

We did try a vacuum pump which gave me a very hard erection - more so than before the surgery but the constriction rings were uncomfortable and it created a hinge effect that made it quite awkward - less of making love, more of a comedy hour LOL

So a chat with my urologist and she has prescribed me the French equivalent of Caverject which is an injection you put in the side of your penis and 10 minutes later you are ready for action - I have my first demo at the hospital next week to determine what dose is required. Apparently the erection will last about 30 minutes so my wife wants to know what we are going to do for the extra 25!!!

You can only use the injections up to twice a week which is fine for us - and apparently it's not painful injecting it - time will tell.

So tell him not to worry about that side of things - there are solutions :)

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 10:24
8 years after prostate surgery and Sex is great. Yes I need a cock ring as a prop but all is good. He doesn't really have any options with a G9 if he wants a chance of reaching 75.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 10:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Apparently the erection will last about 30 minutes so my wife wants to know what we are going to do for the extra 25!!!

😆

I had that problem. We bought some curtain rings and play hoopla. 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:49

Hi Debbie,

I am different to the other contributors on here(so far) in that I went(not by choice) down the HT/RT route.

Although I’m 67,  I had a very active sex life beforehand. Going down this route I would say:

ED is highly likely to happen, either completely or partially.
He will probably experience a total lack of libido. I thought I would get frustrated but I don’t, I just get sad that I don’t have the sex life I use to have.

Having said that, we still have a good sex life, it’s just different, we have sexual outercourse rather than intercourse. I can still pleasure my wife and also have intense orgasms with the correct techniques and toys.

if going down this route I would recommend 

if you can, get an appointment with your ED nurse if you have one.
Get a vacum pump and use it as often as possible to exercise the penis and stop penile atrophy
If you don’t already do so explore various sex toys which might work for you both. I can’t orgasm through penetration at the moment as the sensitivity is just not there, but with the help of a male masturbator and foreplay I can still have a VERY good time😊

So, all is not lost, yes your sex life will probably not be the same but you can still have one if you make the effort, and you have to ask yourself the question ‘What’s more important? My life of my sex life’

Hopefully once my HT is over I can regain SOME of my formal sex life🤞

All the best,

Derek

Good luck on your journey,

Derek

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 12:52

Can't sugar coat it sex is never the same after treatment you have to be extremely lucky to have a sex life as good as before we tried and then decided to give up on the sex despite my wife being in her late thirty's we have been much closer since this we can't be bothering with pumps or injection's that take the spontaneous acts away fair play to those who chose other way's to carry on but it's never the same after treatment ☹️  gaz

User
Posted 18 Jan 2024 at 15:15

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. When I was diagnosed over 12 years ago my wife and I had two main questions: In the order of our priorities, (a) will I survive and if I do (b) what about our sex life? The question of survival is a difficult one to answer, of course, but the range of modern treatments are amazingly successful; you can be very optimistic about his prognosis. As for erectile dysfunction (ED) I don't think he should worry about it too much. Even if he has serious ED following any treatment, there are many well proven methods of overcoming that hurdle. I had robot-assisted surgery to remove the prostate 12 years ago and I suffer from ED as well as very minor incontinence. We are still enjoying our life including our sex life. In many ways re-establishing your sex life should be the least of his concern. Sex life after prostate cancer may never be the same as before but it is possible to achieve a new normal as we have done. He may be encouraged by reading about our experience in the following link:

This is a great forum with a wealth of experience - let us know how you are getting on. 

Edited by member 18 Jan 2024 at 15:22  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate