Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Side effects from Prostatectomy

User
Posted 20 Jan 2024 at 20:05

Hi,

I am brand new to this group, but hoping for some advice. I am 47 and was diagnosed with prostate cancer on the 19th December.  I have had meetings with a radiologist and a surgeon to look at both options. 

I have seen a total of 3 consultants (the one that did diagnosis, radiologist and the surgeon) and all have said, due to my age I should have the operation. 

obviously like everyone I am concerned about the long term impact of this and the possibility of ED. My surgeon also said that I have 70% chance of full recovery, however I have a 30% chance of ED and never having an orgasm again. 

I understand the ED and I know there are pumps, injections and even operations available, however the orgasm bit is what is playing on my mind. 

has anyone gone through this or help me? 

My surgeon said he should be able to do a full nerve sparing on the right and 50% on the left  

thank you in advance 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 02:59
I have responded to this on your other thread - perhaps best to delete this post to avoid confusion?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jan 2024 at 02:57

I'm in very much a similar dilemma as yourself, similar age, Gleason score and sane concerns about RP 

Can't find your other post or this and would be interested in the replies you ve had 

Can you send me a thread link old.

Thanks

User
User
Posted 26 Jan 2024 at 08:38

Hi Daren and Solar

Of the three side effects of prostatectomy - Erectile Dysfunction, Incontinence and worry about Orgasms - orgasm is the least of you worry because you can and will have orgasms. The pleasure aspect can vary from mind blowing -  better than pre-surgery - to very little (rare) depending on partner support, your adaptability and determination. Almost all men can continue to have orgasms by masturbating, penetrative or oral sex or whatever you have been doing before this frightening disease hit you. You can masturbate with a flaccid penis. Your orgasms will be dry but you may also ejaculate urine as I do! I had prostatectomy over 12 years ago and we are enjoying sex in our old age, in many ways our sex life is better than pre-surgery, but we had to be imaginative, adaptable and talk about how we can please each other. You may find the following two links helpful:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

Men's Sexual and Relational Adaptations to Erectile Dysfunction After Prostate Cancer Treatment

Richard J. Wassersug, Andrew Westle & Gary W. Dowsett

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19317611.2016.1204403

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate