I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A new journey

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 14:59

Hi everyone, just to introduce myself as the wife of a newly diagnosed PC victim.

Out of the blue, our gp sent my husband a message early in January asking if he would like a PSA test done. Well why not, he is 70 this year. Test done on a Saturday, phone rings early Monday before 9, asking to take another PSA test today. Alarm bells start to ring, so a quick Google and the number was high. 23.. by Monday the number was 25.

MRI was quickly arranged for Wednesday, which would be reviewed at the next MDT meeting. Then we heard nothing. Trying to get through the hospital phone system to the right dept and hospital within the group was a joke. Sent some messages through the hospital app. Finally got a consult meeting last Tuesday.

yes it’s definitely cancer, you need a biopsy now and sorry we dropped the ball in getting you back sooner. An op is out of the equation, HT followed by RT depending on the biopsy results.

Now, the complications, my husband is already a cancer patient, neuroendocrine of the small bowel which was removed in Dec 2019 along with 34 lymph nodes, his liver has been watched ever since, a possible bone lesion on his spine is also being watched. The meds he takes for this can’t be taken with his bp meds and have to be spaced out.  His existing monthly injections to keep him stable have been stopped as they are also hormone based so that it doesn’t interfere with any new treatment plans. The prostate biopsy had to be postponed as his blood pressure wouldn’t come down. Now waiting for an appointment for it to be done under sedation. A body ct was done yesterday and a bone scan to be done on the 6th.

Because of his existing neuroendocrine cancer there is a higher chance the prostate biopsy will pick up neuroendocrine cells which is bad news. 

my husband is now in a dark place mentally, his anxiety is through the roof. Seems crazy as he doesn’t have any symptoms at all

we have our first holiday booked since 2019 in august and now that has been thrown into doubt depending on treatment plan.

on the positive side, his consultant is very highly regarded both nhs and private. 🤞

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 20:38

Hi Jenny, sorry you are here. Don't worry about the rise from 23 to 25. That is just the sort of errors one gets in PSA testing. I presume he will be put on hormone therapy to suppress the prostate cancer ant hen have RT in about six months. I would try and arrange that the RT happens after your holiday in August. Life should have some fun and not be an endless treadmill of treatments.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 14:59

Hi everyone, just to introduce myself as the wife of a newly diagnosed PC victim.

Out of the blue, our gp sent my husband a message early in January asking if he would like a PSA test done. Well why not, he is 70 this year. Test done on a Saturday, phone rings early Monday before 9, asking to take another PSA test today. Alarm bells start to ring, so a quick Google and the number was high. 23.. by Monday the number was 25.

MRI was quickly arranged for Wednesday, which would be reviewed at the next MDT meeting. Then we heard nothing. Trying to get through the hospital phone system to the right dept and hospital within the group was a joke. Sent some messages through the hospital app. Finally got a consult meeting last Tuesday.

yes it’s definitely cancer, you need a biopsy now and sorry we dropped the ball in getting you back sooner. An op is out of the equation, HT followed by RT depending on the biopsy results.

Now, the complications, my husband is already a cancer patient, neuroendocrine of the small bowel which was removed in Dec 2019 along with 34 lymph nodes, his liver has been watched ever since, a possible bone lesion on his spine is also being watched. The meds he takes for this can’t be taken with his bp meds and have to be spaced out.  His existing monthly injections to keep him stable have been stopped as they are also hormone based so that it doesn’t interfere with any new treatment plans. The prostate biopsy had to be postponed as his blood pressure wouldn’t come down. Now waiting for an appointment for it to be done under sedation. A body ct was done yesterday and a bone scan to be done on the 6th.

Because of his existing neuroendocrine cancer there is a higher chance the prostate biopsy will pick up neuroendocrine cells which is bad news. 

my husband is now in a dark place mentally, his anxiety is through the roof. Seems crazy as he doesn’t have any symptoms at all

we have our first holiday booked since 2019 in august and now that has been thrown into doubt depending on treatment plan.

on the positive side, his consultant is very highly regarded both nhs and private. 🤞

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 20:38

Hi Jenny, sorry you are here. Don't worry about the rise from 23 to 25. That is just the sort of errors one gets in PSA testing. I presume he will be put on hormone therapy to suppress the prostate cancer ant hen have RT in about six months. I would try and arrange that the RT happens after your holiday in August. Life should have some fun and not be an endless treadmill of treatments.

Dave