Error

Today is the First Day of the Rest of my Life

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 14:04
Thanks Mo.

Steve x

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 17:55

" Looking at the carers allowance it seems as if you have to be in a position where you can't feed or dress yourself for my wife to claim that. I've looked at disability living allowance and that seems to be a similar situation, I would never qualify. "

I'm not sure about that Steve. I know of two lots of folk who receive carers allowance. One does have a serious heart problem, including a pacemaker, but she can certainly bathe and clothe herself and can even cook a meal and on a good day can even do small garden chores.

I don't know how much they "tweaked" the paperwork though. I just assumed they had answered the questions honestly.

It could be that I am very naïve though and vey trusting!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 18:51

For Carers Allowance see: https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Alan

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 19:06

What about Attendance Allowance?   I believe this is payable if you have moderate needs eg need help with housework.  It should be possible to ask about this .   Find out from Social worker attached to local council who will make an assesssment of your needs.  This benefit is payable even if you have other income.   You know you are worth it!  Take care and I hope your Wife's results are favourable.El.

Sorry cant do linky thingy but putting Attendance Allowance in Google works.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 21:24
Ah the maze of the benfit world.

You will be entiled to Attendance Allowance and your wife or anyone else in the family can claim carers with this benefit.I had to claim benefits for Eric when I had to give up my job to look after him.You can claim online or over the phone rather than fill in all the forms its a quick call and normaly decision is given straight away.

Carol

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 03:03

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will certainly check to see if I am entitled to any extra benefits.

My hope was that I would be able to go back to work soon but today (Tuesday) proved a real setback.

I went to my cardiac rehab course today and was only ten minutes into the session when I felt really dizzy and lightheaded and was advised by one of the nurses to sit down until I felt better. The dizziness just didn't go away and I ended up sitting out the whole session. It was so embarrassing. I'm one of the younger ones on the course and I had to sit and watch 80 year olds doing exercises I couldn't do. And to think I intended to run the Reading Half Marathon next month, I can't believe how much my heart problems have affected me.

Every 10 or 15 minutes I had my blood pressure checked by one of the nurses and it soon returned to being fairly normal. They decided to send me for blood tests in the afternoon to see if that revealed anything but what I really need is the 24hr portable heart monitor when that can be arranged. I really look forward to doing the fitness course and it's pointless if I don't get chance to do it.

I really want to have some sort of tests to find out what's causing this otherwise I don't stand a chance of getting fit again.

Steve

Edited by member 18 Feb 2015 at 11:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 10:47
Hi Steve

Sorry you are still going through it, I can understand how frustrating this must be and I hope they get to the bottom of it. I don't know if this is relevant as I assume the doctors have done all possible tests, but I was told after numerous blood pressure tests that I had low blood pressure and every thing was ok.

My wife has high blood pressure and takes medication and regularly takes her own blood pressure, so one day I decided to check mine using her machine and yes it was low or I thought it was until for some reason I checked the other arm, low and behold there was a 30 point difference. After reading up on the Internet (as you do) I found it could be serious and if you check both arms and ankles they should be similar. I know know why I would sometimes go dizzy at times and am told I was born that way as the blood flow to my left arm is restricted in some way, and when used will call for more blood at times of stress and sources the extra blood from the supply to the brain. I don't know if you have checked both arms and legs but maybe worth a try, as it may or may not show up something.

Take care

Roy

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 11:26

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your reply.  I'll try that next time.

Steve

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 13:04

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your message.

I'm sorry things were so difficult for you, last thing you wanted on top of everything else.

I am trying every possibility with benefits but I keep finding I don't qualify.  I'll keep trying.

Steve

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 20:39

Hi,

Fifth cardiac rehab session today. 

I get the impression I'm more out of condition than I was at the start of the course.  Had to really hold back from pushing myself too hard in case I felt too dizzy again.  I didn't want to have to pull out of the session like I had to on Tuesday.  I don't feel as if I'm making the most of the course unless I can properly take part.  My heart rate had dropped to 39 bpm again at the end of the session.  It should be above 60 bpm.  Continue to feel tired all the time.

I'm due to have an echocardiography on the 3rd March.  I hope that provides some answers.

Steve

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 21:03

Do not overdo it Steve,

but do not underdo it.

Can you not just do "some exercise", any exercise at home or in a park at your own rate at which you feel comfortable?

BFFS

do not over do it.

dave

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 22:20
Hi Dave,

I'm thinking I may quit the course if I'm no better next session. It's such a waste of a good course.

I will ask my cardiac rehab nurse if I can do the course at a later date if I decide I want to pull out of this one. I hate the idea of quitting but I'd rather do it when they've sorted out what's causing my problems otherwise it's such a waste.

Steve

User
Posted 19 Feb 2015 at 23:54
Steve

the benefits expert at our hospice was off today, however I think one of her team would be happy to talk with you. I just have to make one phone call so I can give them the background info they need and I will PM you wih their direct number.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 00:26

Hi Mo,

Thanks so much for this.  Where would we all be without your help.

Steve x

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 20:17
Hello Steve,

I have been following your posts with both interest and empathy. You have every reason to be feeling fed up, and financial concerns don't help. I am thinking you might quite like some benefits input from my friend and colleague at Maggie's online centre. You'd need to google it, then join as a member. We are a cancer charity providing psychological and practical info. Tom, my colleague is good at getting to the nitty gritty of what people can claim. You can even say SusieQ recommended you ( that's my username in my day job).

You sound a fantastic man, simply being hit by too many challenges at once. Please don't beat yourself up. The fatigue and problems, both cardiac and prostate cancer treatment related, are taking their toll. They are survivable, but it may not feel like it today.

This is where we all pull together, to lift your spirits and get you through...

Warmest wishes

Sue

User
Posted 20 Feb 2015 at 23:43

Hi Sue,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful post.

I will follow this up and let me say, I'm very grateful to you for taking the trouble to pass on info that may help me out.

I'm just so tired of things not working out as I hoped for.  Perhaps just too much has happened in a relative short time.  My wife is due to have tests tomorrow which could reveal if she has cancer.  I pray that the results will be negative.  I don't want her to face what I've had to face in the last 8 months, even though in a sense, she's already faced it with the problems I've had. 

I suppose that's life.

Thanks again for your help.

Keep in touch.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 06:05

Hi Steve,

I know we'll all be thinking of you and hoping the tests go the way you and your wife would wish for today. The last few months have been full of turmoil for you....with emergency medicine thrown...so the cumulative effect is that you' be been swamped physically and psychologically.
No chance to pick yourself up from one thing, before something else comes along.

Hope the tests today go OK. You or your wife can always pm me if there are things about her own health, tests, worries etc, as its an anxious time.

Warm wishes

Sue

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 06:44

Thinking of you today Mr and Mrs Steve.
Fingers (everything in fact) crossed for a happy outcome.

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 08:02
Good luck today, I hope you get the best news Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 09:06

Hope all goes well for you both today.

dave

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 09:06

Fingers crossed alls well today Steve

Bri

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 09:15

Best of luck mate, hope all goes well.

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 10:04

Good luck today, Steve. I pray it's good news, which you deserve after all that's happened.

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 10:36

Positive vibes sent to you and your wife today Steve.

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 12:14
Steve

Hope all goes well,

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 12:17

Looking for good news later.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 21:17
Hi,

Great news at last. So pleased that my wife's health problem wasn't cancer. I'm so relieved. So was my wife. My prayers were answered for once.

Thank you for all your kind messages of support.

Steve

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 21:51

Great to hear the good news. Always a relief.
Great stuff!

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 22:27
Steve

first cloud with a silver lining, I hope they keep coming for you.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 22:32

Brilliant. Let's hope this is the start of better things for you, too!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 22:35

So pleased - you were on my mind most of the day. Now hopefully you can concentrate on getting back on your feet.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 22:44

Brilliant news....:)

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 23:08
That's great news Steve, you deserve some good stuff for a change, let's hope it's the start if a goid roll for you. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 21 Feb 2015 at 23:23

Excellent result.

Now, enjoy the weekend.

dave

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 00:16

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your messages, you can't imagine how much they have helped me through every situation I have faced.  This week made me realise, even more, that I don't mind so much if the bad things happen to me so long as they don't happen to my wife and family.  I'm so relieved everything was ok for my wife.

Just had a thought, today (Saturday) was three months since I had my heart attack (on November 21st).  I had no idea that day, the effect it would have on my life.  Even while I was being treated in A&E when I was admitted, I was sure I would be back at work the following week.  If someone told me then, that I would still not be working three months later, I wouldn't have believed them.

Well, I will sleep easier tonight.  Tomorrow, I continue my own health battle.

Steve

Edited by member 22 Feb 2015 at 03:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 00:20

Let's hope you have more good news, you've been so unlucky so far.

Barry
User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 09:33

So pleased for you both.

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif 

Edited by member 22 Feb 2015 at 09:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 10:52

That's great news Steve!

Sorry I'm a bit slow on the response but just returned to blighty so been off line for a while.

All the best

Kevin

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 11:38
Welcome home, Kevin. They let you back into the country with your additional artwork then?

Steve

Edited by member 22 Feb 2015 at 12:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 14:02

Steve,

I am so please to read such good news from you.

You truly deserve a break after such a horrendous time since your diagnosis.

Looking forward to seeing a lot more good news in the future. We want you as fit as a fiddle for June 20th at the 'do'.

There'll be many many photos opportunities there, such as Lyn and her sheep, the midnight 'al fresco' boozing ladies and Kevin with his new Balinese Gecko.

Speaking of which, I think Kev should have been quarantined on arrival back in blighty - for at least three months!

All the very best,

George

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 15:26
Good news Steve regarding your wife. Look what you've been through and how far you've come. A lot of the battles are behind you, It's a new day tomorrow.

Take care, Arthur

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 15:43

Great news Steve, I'm very pleased for you and your wife. Sorry I'm a bit late, having gone through the last few months without so much as a sniffle whilst everyone we know, including my wife, having had bad coughs and colds I've come down with the mother of all colds and I'm feeling rotten.

I hate colds.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 15:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Welcome home, Kevin. They let you back into the country with your additional artwork then?

Steve

I'm afraid so Steve.

Feeling knackered, 26 hours door to door  :(

ATB

Kevin

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 17:03

Hi,

Thanks for all the messages.

I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders today.

George, I'm so looking forward to the June event, I hope to get some good pictures for you.  Sounds like there will be lots to photograph.

Arthur, Thank you for your message.

Steve, So sorry you're feeling so ill at the moment, I hate colds too.

Kevin, rest up now. Sorry about the dreadful weather you've returned to, it's what us non jetsetters have to put up with.  I hope you've had a great time.  Would love to see more pictures.  I hope you wife is feeling much better now.  See you in June.

All the Best Everyone.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 17:20
Steve

Great news, let's hope that sets a trend for the future.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 17:24

Huge relief.

Thank God.

Alison

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 18:59

I have a bit of a quandary this year ...... bring the sheep again or the Harley D? Great photos of the sheep last time (she at least was willing to stand still for the panoramic) or more trips round the block with John for Ness and any other secret bikerchicks? What a decision :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 00:47

Hi,

Back to the business of recovery and my aim to get back to work at some point.

Attended my cardiac rehab session today (Tuesday), had my blood pressure and heart rate checked, low again, had an ECG and my rehab nurse decided it was time to email my consultant about my continuing problems. 

Managed to get through the exercise session, heart rate after was only 39 (still too low).

I did discuss the possibility that I should drop out the course and continue at a later date when my heart problem was sorted but my nurse said I should continue it.  So I agreed I would try.

I'm due to have an echocardiogram next Tuesday.  Heaven knows when I will have the portable heart monitor for 24hrs I was promised.  My nurse said I could have to wait for four or five weeks before that happens.  It's a shame because I think it would give a good indication of what might be going wrong.

Steve

User
Posted 25 Feb 2015 at 19:47
Hi,

Woke up with a really bad cold, where did that suddenly come from? Had no signs it was coming on. Feel really ill, must be Man Flu!

My Cardiac Rehab nurse rang me to say my consultant wants me to stop taking my beta blocker medication straight away in an attempt to improve my low heart rate situation.

Had to see my temporary GP today so he could renew my sick note and to review my recent blood tests. I walked in and he said I looked ill. Cancer, Heart condition and a Cold. Really smart this guy! He made me have my second ECG in two days. He was concerned with my results and said sometimes people need a pacemaker following a heart attack. Anyway, he said he would see what my consultant thought. Have to wait another 4 weeks for my next appointment with my consultant.

I'm interested to see what happens when I stop taking my beta blockers.

Steve

Edited by member 25 Feb 2015 at 19:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Feb 2015 at 00:42

Hi,

Felt really ill today, my cold has got worse. Unfortunately, I had to miss my cardiac rehab course today (Thursday) because I wasn't well enough to do it.

The thing that hurt the most is that my eldest daughter (plus Alexander, our grandson) was taking my wife and I to see my daughter who lives in Southampton and going out for a meal.  In the end, I was too ill to go but I still wanted them to go because I didn't want to ruin the day for them.  I stayed at home, intending to do a bit of writing but didn't manage it in the end, just felt too weak to do anything.  So slept mostly.

Following my consultant's advice I stopped taking my beta blockers medication, I hope that makes some difference to my low heart rate problems.  It will probably go the other way now.  Still, we can only see what happens.

Steve