I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ever Decreasing Circles part three

User
Posted 03 Jul 2015 at 20:01

Good result for you Paul, let's hope you have more good results over the weekend?

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2015 at 22:40

Lyn,

I drink very rarely these days. I have always loved real ale but found that my bladder does not allow me to enjoy it as I used to. Also wine and port are favourite tipples but I enjoy a good night's sleep more and feel better the next day. So I have now got into a pattern of rarely drinking unless I really really fancy one. I find that once I have made a decision not to drink it does not impact on my day. I may have a drink tomorrow though!

User
Posted 03 Jul 2015 at 23:16

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

"Lyn,

I drink very rarely these days."

Same here Paul.  Barely a drop touches my lips. ;-)

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2015 at 23:58

Brilliant news Paul that all went well with the Zapping, I will be thinking of you on Sun so good luck for that. I still can't believe they are doing a Sunday Servicehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif. What ever next Sunday School on a Tuesdayhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif.

Being a teetotaller like Country Boy I can understand your abstinence http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif. Personally I never touch a drip (sorry I meant drop) .

Enjoy that cricket and a restful weekend.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 04 Jul 2015 at 00:51
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Lyn,

I drink very rarely these days. I have always loved real ale but found that my bladder does not allow me to enjoy it as I used to. Also wine and port are favourite tipples but I enjoy a good night's sleep more and feel better the next day. So I have now got into a pattern of rarely drinking unless I really really fancy one. I find that once I have made a decision not to drink it does not impact on my day. I may have a drink tomorrow though!

I know love but it amused me to say it!

CB - yeah, right!

Julie, I am teetotal having had only a sip of sherry in March 1984. However, I have recently been considering trying some - everyone I know seems to find that getting lashed helps with all sorts of problems.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Jul 2015 at 09:53
Paul, maybe a Bairstow moment again ..that seemed to inspire you to embibe.

Dave...Those drops never touch your lips they just go past them on their way south !

Julie

If you didn't have a tipple to celebrate getting married to the tumeric prince I would be mortified!

Lyn if a sip of sherry was your only ever experience in 1984 I am not surprised you abstain it's horrid stuff. I won't use it in cooking not even trifle yeuk!

Me personally well I think most of you have a little idea of what I like to very occasionally sip (quaff, splurge, splaugh) etc.!

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 19:20
Hi Paul

Really glad to see things are moving along nicely

How are the leg pains are you getting any relieve yet

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 20:50

Hi Si,

Had CT Scan today so completed all the tests. My leg feels ok but I have been resting and taking pain relief. Once I feel it's right I shall ease off the pain relief and see if the pain stays away. Onco stays between 2-6 weeks for full relief, 80% success rate so here's hoping. Fingers crossed that the CT scan is clear then I can settle down for a while. Been a difficult few weeks but now feeling I am getting great service and support and know what is happening which always helps.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2015 at 21:04

I hope so much you can settle and that the pain eases off enough for you to pull back on the painkillers. Pain is awful and has a cumulative effect gradually dragging you down further and further. Best wishes Chris

User
Posted 06 Jul 2015 at 00:12

Hi Paul,

So glad that you have a good weekend (loved the FB pics) now to wait for results of the scan sometimes it seems that we are always waiting for one result or another. I am keeping everything crossed for you that scan results are good and the RT helps with the pain.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 17 Jul 2015 at 16:53

Two weeks on from the RT and I think my right leg is feeling better, certainly the sharp pain has not been experienced for a week now. I had dropped off the pain killers but then found my left femur is now painful so back on the pain relief. I guess that will be another conversation with onco next week when I will also get CT Scan results.

Regular readers will recall I have had a 'pain in the bum' for about three years. This was diagnosed as an ishygluteal bursitis and I was referred to orthopaedics recently to see if an steroid injection would help. I had delayed this appointment as the other pain in the leg had rather trumped this one. Today went for rearranged appointment. I have to say I was very impressed with the orthopaedic practitioner I saw. From the moment I described the symptoms to him he was sceptical that it was bursitis at all. In fact one symptom, pain when walking more than 30-40 yards he felt indicating this was not bursitis. So we went through my three bone scans and he feels that the likely cause of this problem is the bone mets in the pubic bone, the cause of the mega pain recently. The more we talked the more I felt he was correct and that probably all along the minor pain was a prelude to this more severe bout recently. So I have been cured of bursitis!

Be interesting seeing the onco next week for a review of the scans and the latest pain and see what's next. I have felt really tired since the RT plus the fatigue from the HT so it's been a hard few weeks. Still the sun is shining, cricket is on the TV and off to Scarborough to watch Yorkshire on Sunday so hopefully with my trusty pain killers I will have a few days respite before my consultation.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2015 at 20:49
Paul

enjoy the cricket at the seaside tomorrow. you are bound to get your favourite fish and chips there!

Cured of the big B ...amazing but it does seem that it might actually be part of the big C instead, must be uncomfortablle sitting on those benches at the cricket or the plastic seats, so make sure you carry a nice seat pad with you.

Good luck with your Onco visit this week, looks like RT has helped in one area and maybe it will again.

Best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 20:07

So the scores are in. I saw a different onco today but she was as engaged and informative as her colleague and knew my situation so it was a good and rounded discussion. Good news abounds, CT SCAN shows no evidence at all of any spread in any soft tissue so this is great news. The same as three and a half years ago. My PSA still stable at 27 so it's been in the mid twenties for six months so no hike there and my right leg is slowly feeling better in response to the RT. So carry on with casodex and keep enzo in the box for now.

I went feeling a little down, the RT + HT has really tired me the last few weeks so my spirits were not at their highest and on Saturday my good friend, Mr UTI joined me again though I caught it early. So I was concerned that the results would continue the downward trend. But no they could not be better, given the events of the last few weeks.

I feel much more in touch with my onco's and they take time to discuss, explain and listen. All I ever ask for really. So if I did not have an infection I would have a drink tonight. Back in Scarborough for the last day's cricket tomorrow. Not on wifi much here but home tomorrow so back to normal then.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 20:21

Great results Paul. Apart from our favourite urologist I have found the oncols to be more receptive. Was it Lucy.

Really pleased for you.

Enjoy the cricket

Bri

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 20:23

Not on first name terms like you Brian, I only got her surname. She was good and informed.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 21:30
Good news Paul and much better service from the medics, sorry the cricket has been so dire (as far as I've seen on the news that is).

Hopefully the tiredness will get better over time, john found a lot of it was down to the painkillers, but he is nearly off those now, down to 50mg tramadol once a day and paracetamol as required.

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 23:13

I haven't been up to speed lately but who the heck is Lucy? http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif where did she pop up from.  Jokes aside such good news Paul after what has been a hard few months to at last get some good news maybe she is Lucky Lucyhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

I am over the moon for you with scan results I know it has been hard with the pain and the worry that this has caused. To feel confidence in your Onc is such a good feeling.

I don't know any cricket terms and I don't any foot ball terms but I sure can shimmy so here is to you Paul I am going to shimmy round the kitchen singing Go Paul, Go Paul . http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 23:16

Hi Paul,

Really pleased everything is going well for you.  You deserve it.

I'm sure England will turn things around. 

Steve

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 23:20

Good news, Paul, so pleased for you ! Just hope the cricket lives up to expectations !

Fiona. x

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 23:22
Paul

that is great news all round (bit like your favourite cricket man) I know the UTi is a hinderance but at least you detected it from the start so you should be able to clear it without too much trouble.

I am glad you chose to go and watch Yorkshire rather than England you might get to see a better outcome!

all the very best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 08:07

Great news Paul and such a relief for you.
Sorry to hear about Mr UTI, and I hope you get to show the unwelcome visitor the door very soon.
Best Wishes for your health and the cricket!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 18:16

Thanks for all the best wishes, much appreciated. I am now home after a brilliant victory for Yorkshire today as good a tonic as any HT! I think as we do on this merry go round turned a little corner and if the pain goes fully, which it seems it is doing, then I can zap Mr UTI and try and get some energy back. The RT + HT took some hold and my fatigue has been marked. But I felt at the cricket I was beginning to get back some energy though it is one thing to watch cricket, another to work but I am back in work tomorrow so will soon find out.

Lucy for Julie's benefit, is Brian's friend as I call my oncologist Dr. I am sure Brian charms all his consultants! For my part I would not know how to deal with any advances as my radar (I.e. Libido) does not fire at all anymore. It makes me much calmer anyway.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 02:54

Happy, happy, happy to come home and see that you have managed another appointment without intervention from myself or Mo. I shall pack away the knives on the basis that these oncos seem to be pretty good :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2015 at 15:15

Just catching u not had access to wifi for a few days. Yes keep sharpening the knives for now my softly softly approach is getting good service.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2015 at 20:55
Paul

After the ashes performance and the Yorkshire boys in the squad doing so well you must be buzzing ... as Lyn said we can put the knives away for now we will keep them sharp just in case. Xxx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 15:47

So oncologist's appointment today which went very smoothly indeed. PSA still stable at 24, a few points lower but showing a stable reading in the mid twenties since March time. My leg is almost free of pain now and certainly causes me no real problems. RT appears to have worked well. Still taking ibruprophen for some pain in both thighs but this is controlled well by that medication. Otherwise apart from the usual tiredness and fatigue it was an unproblematic appointment and another three months of living to get into before I go back again. So no enzo needed yet continue on prostap and casodex.

So two more trips to Hong Kong before Xmas and hopefully nothing else will trip me up!

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 15:52

Good news, enjoy the Hong Kong trips!

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 16:01

I'm just so pleased for you that the awful leg pain has gone , and of course the PSA stable.
Kowloon and Hong Kong -- happy memories !!
Enjoy your trips
Chris

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 16:04
Hi Paul

This is so good news, very pleased for you. Enjoy Hong Kong.

Lesley

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 16:13

Nice to read this Paul.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 16:16

look at that the 2 of us posting on the same day, I am really glad that everything seems to be on an even keel Paul and that the pain is know under control. Loved the photos on FB .

Enjoy those two trips before xmas.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 17:35
Great news Professor 😀😀

So pleased to hear the pain has nearly gone enjoy those trips to HK hopefully squeeze a drink in before Christmas

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 18:02
Paul

I am so happy that everything seems to be stable, normal and unproblematic. Two more trips to Hong Kong is great news, Back In June I was worried that you would struggle getting out there and being mobile. The RT has clearly done a great job.

As Si says we really ought to try and get together before Xmas if we can. It seems a very long time since we had the last Newark do! A few of us can't make the flyer this year.

all the very best

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 18:46

Thanks both and you can call me Paul Si as long as no one is near! Newark drinks and/or curry would be great. I am at home until 23rd October and back by 4th Nov until about 27th Nov, so if anything fits let me know, will miss flyer too as in HK until 14th December.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 19:25

Great results Paul...Two trips to HK...I recall a couple of years ago you thinking that year would be your last there...so glad you were significantly wrong on that ;-)

Take care
Bri

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 19:43

Very pleased for you Paul.

End results make the treatment worthwhile eh !

Enjoy your trips

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 19:47
Great news Paul, long may outcomes like this continue. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 19:50

P

Good news you deserve it, enjoy your trips, it would be good to meet up with the Newark gang again.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 00:49
Hi Paul

good to hear your news long many it continue.

Carol x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 01:11
Hi Paul,

Really good news that the treatment has worked.

Hope you have a great time in HK and enjoy the Newark meal.

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 05:37
Nice one brother.

My best wishes.

Bazza

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 09:27

Great news, so pleased for you !

Fiona. x

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 10:01

Thanks everyone for your kind words. The rollercoaster continues, it is rarely dull! I meant to say yesterday that I had been reading some of the blogs which Oliver Sachs wrote on death and dying before his death recently. Some words he wrote struck a chord with me over the recent weeks. He said:

'I could deny it before, but I know I am ill now'

Though I have never denied the reality of my diagnosis what struck me was that my recent problems with my right leg was the first time I had something I could identify which was directly related to the cancer. All the things I struggle with - tiredness, sore nipples, flushes, fatigue, self catherisation, etc - are a consequence of the treatments I receive. Suddenly I had extreme pain which was a one-to-one connection with the cancer. I could see it on my bone scan and feel it in my leg. The words of Sachs were so relevant. I know we can suffer from pain and I will do again as the cancer moves on but often it feels like a silent killer. There in my system but quiet and unobtrusive. At those times it is easy to believe it does not really exist but I have always tried to resist that as I know it is there. This time I got a proper reminder.

All this leads me on to a decision I have made in recent weeks. Friends on here will know I had decided to try and stay at work until I passed away allowing my children to benefit from death in service benefits. I love my work and could not see me retiring. I have been strong about this for most of the three and a half years of this struggle. However the timeline has been mercifully longer than I could have anticipated and I find myself moving towards a natural retirement age. Maybe after all I could retire. The fatigue and now the leg pain hastened that decision plus a few issues with work. So after nearly six months of, at times, tense negotiations and not really achieving what I wanted financially I have agreed to step down probably from next April. This is such a big decision for me but it has been helped by a role I have recently taken up which, though unpaid, will allow me to continue to engage in the working world I know and love. My university are allowing me some space to develop this role whilst still working and so I am grateful for that. I am hoping that there will be some time to enjoy this retirement when it comes and am so relieved that my children are fully behind me doing this as it will impact on what I can give to them.

This is a big move for me and I need to prepare myself thoroughly over the next eight months, I just hope I can stay well whilst making this transition.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 10:31

Hi Paul,

Throughout my life there have been three consistent things which all men have said to me:

1 - 'I wished I had worked harder while I was at school'.  I have never met a man who said he was too much of a swot and wished he had spent more time bunking off with girls behind the bike sheds.

2 - 'I should have spent more time with the children as they were growing up'.  I have never met a man who said he should have spent more time at work developing his career!

3 - 'Retirement is great, I should have done it years ago'.  I have never met a man who thought he retired too soon.

So my advice is to go for retirement, enjoy it's pleasures, you can get up when you want, do what you want, and sleep when you want.

As Karl Marx said 'If work was good for you, the rich would have found a way of keeping it to themselves'.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 11:14

Thanks for the thoughts Dave. I guess I have a particular attitude to work-life balance. I don't like the concept as I don't have a division in my life which conforms to that divide. It sets one up against the other. I try to encompass what I believe in and what I think is important. So I was a single parent when my kids were just 2 and 4 and now they are 32 and 34 and I have never stinted on the time I spend with them. But I realised early on when on my own that the work I did was important too and so I worked hard at both endeavours probably at the expense of a love life if I am honest but otherwise it was such a fulfilling time.

I still believe there are things in my work life I want to influence. My daughter said to me when I told her I was considering retirement that 'I am worried you will just sit and home and go downhill'. That is a real worry and I take her point hence fortunate to have one outlet already.

I know I will have more time and I have to learn how to use it. My day is smaller though, I am too tired to pack in as much as I used to do. So having less in my day will help that. Whilst I need to plan for the change I also need to plan knowing the time frame is small, one or two years maybe a little more? How you tackle that is not easy and will be exercising my thinking until next April! Any guidance helpful!

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 16:02

Hi Paul
I'm relatively new as you know , but I can read that you are a very intelligent , motivated hard-working person with a long satisfying career . I was unfortunate enough to have to retire at the age of 46 after 28 years solid hard work in my life . Quite a step down and something i'm essentially still reeling from ( aswell as the PCa ). I've become a full time house-husband and I am very very busy to be honest ( the old adage " I don't know how I found time to work " ). I'm quite an unmotivated person so its been a difficult transition . What do I miss most ?? Personal interaction , " the laugh " , working as a team , solving the problem , the drink on the way home .
For what my advice may be worth , you don't seem to be the type of man at all who would get bored or sit at home or fester . You seem the kind of guy who makes the most out of every situation . If you were bored you would read and learn even more . Your children are grown adults who have made their own lives ?? They aren't relying on what you can leave them ? I keep asking my parents to enjoy " now " and release some equity from their home instead of sitting on it , to give to us one day .
Difficult to leave work -- undoubtedly . But sounds like now is the time to start enjoying a retirement given your health circumstances. Everyone deserves a retirement and I think you will enjoy it with patience .
Chris

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 19:56

Hi Paul,

I had a dynamic, exciting and demanding career.  Like you I used to jet off to places like Hong Kong to work with our partner organisations where my skills and experience were highly valued (or so my ego told me).

Now looking back on it, the great demands and dilemas of my working life have faded into insignificance, and I am reminded of the old quote that 'the graveyard is full of indispensible men'!

Today, because the sun was shining, with my wife and step-son, I decided to go to Holkham beach and had a 7 mile walk with lunch half way round, we enjoyed it, we chatted, we had a good time, and it helped improve my fitness.  Because I am retired I can do it on days like this, and don't have to compete for car park spaces with the crowds who will throng there this weekend.

Tomorrow I am childminding my grandchildren, I will spend the morning watching over my grandson at 'todler group' and learning wisdom and insight chatting to young mums.

I have just bought an airfix kit, (remember them?) and so next week I will make the toy plane for my grandson.

I also have a half redecorated bathroom, a herbaceous border to sort out, a batch of library books to read before next Monday, and my other half wants me to arrange a trip to Canada.

So lots of things to keep me busy, I am still living and learning, doing my best to develop those two great gifts of enthusiasm and sponteneity.

Our lives are like books, and the best books have many chapters, so don't be affraid to turn the page and start a new chapter.  

:)

Dave

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 21:07

Lots of good,helpful, relevant advice there Paul and I agree with it all.

You have had your children under your wing for 30 years and I bet you've done a brilliant job of bringing them up single handedly. This is your time now, more precious than it usually is at retirement due to its limits.

You wont sit at home and stagnate, and even when the time comes that physical activity lessens, you'll still keep that brain exercised.

Make a list of the things you want most from this early release. Put the more strenuous, physical ones at the top so that you can do them while you can.

Do the things that you enjoy.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 21:11

Hhhhhmmm, I know how important that death in service benefit was in your calculations so I hope that you did finally get a decent package - it isn't clear from your post whether you have been worn down or not. So now I am a bit worried for you but on the up side you can finish the book and if things get really tight the cricket club might pay you to be the scorer .... I think at our place the going rate is £15 per match

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 21:28
Paul

I am almost relieved to hear that you have reached this decision. Your work life balance has been admiarble. You will be so occupied in retirement you will have much less time on your hands than you imagined!

Book writing, travels, being with your family and advising in your profession. You might even find time to go to more cricket! sod scoring you would make a brilliant TV comentator with Bumble or Sir Ian !!

Hope to see you soon, we can compare solo retirement strategies

All my best wishes and an understanding hug

xxx

Mo