I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A New Chapter

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 18:14

Excellent news Steve, now you can not worry about it and enjoy the summer!

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 10 Jul 2019 at 22:21
Great news Steve 👍👍

Bri

User
Posted 14 Sep 2019 at 07:32

Hi,

They say moving house is one of the most stressful things you can do and in recent weeks it has turned out that way. 

We were two weeks away from exchanging contracts on our house sale and our buyer has pulled out.

Feeling tired of the whole process now.

Steve 

User
Posted 14 Sep 2019 at 15:55

Steve

Our daughter bought her first house earlier this year, what a nightmare. Hope you get another buyer quickly, will the delay affect the property you are moving to ?

Take care, thanks Chris.

User
Posted 14 Sep 2019 at 19:41

Steve ,Sorry to hear the news , 
But keep at it you are doing the right thing , I DS about four years ago into a small 2 bed Bungalow In preparation for my departure , still here and Everything is sorted new fences ,new bathroom , new kitchen , complete Re/dec ,rewire , Paved rear garden and Astro turf and pebbles to all the beds , and vinyl click flooring inside throughout .
Good luck 

Barry

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 09:54

Hi, 

Fortunately, at the moment, the vendors of the bungalow are prepared to wait but I'm not sure how long they will.

We just want to get the whole process over with.  I feel very tired. My next appointment with the Oncologist is a week on Tuesday so the worry about that will take my mind off the house sale.

Steve 

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 11:30

Oh Steve

That’s a real pain in the neck, I’m so sorry, what a stressful process it all is. Hope you get another buyer quickly.

lots of love 

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 19 Sep 2019 at 09:54

Hi, 

Thanks for your replies, especially the last one.  I am really grateful for you to have time to put a message on my posts when you're facing such a difficult time.  My thoughts are very much with you at this time and pray that John will be as comfortable as possible, everyone's love is with you.

Steve 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 04:12

Hi, 

In the midst of depressive and stressful times, wonderful things can sometimes happen.  We have just become grandparents again!

A beautiful baby boy arrived to my son and his wife yesterday.  We now have four grandchildren, all boys!

Can't wait to see him later today. 

This is what really matters in life, family.

I have come to terms with my cancer and what the future holds for me but the sadness I feel sometimes is the realisation that at some point, I will have to leave them. 

Steve 

Edited by member 20 Sep 2019 at 04:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 18:08
Congratulations Steve on the new edition to your family

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 18:24
Congrats Steve.
User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 19:04

Fantastic news Steve!

User
Posted 22 Sep 2019 at 09:17

Congratulations to you and the family Steve.

Ido4

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 05:02

Hi, 

It's that time again.  Later today I see my Oncologist to find out my latest PSA results at my four month check up.

The last results, two months ago, showed a fall from 2.6 to 2.3 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's stayed around that figure. 

Steve 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 07:22

Good luck for today Steve
Barry

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 09:13

Good luck Steve - hope it comes back favourable!

Flexi

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 09:48

Good luck today Steve 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:00

Thinking of you today Steve.

Hope all goes well for you

Edited by member 24 Sep 2019 at 15:01  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 16:05

Hi, 

Just seen the Oncologist, unfortunately my PSA has risen from 2.3 in July to 3.2 now.

Feeling a bit disappointed. 

Steve 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 16:30
Super news on the new grandson - congratulations to you all. On the PSA front, I worry that you are not proactive enough - did you ask for a testosterone test to see whether the HT is working correctly? Have you checked that the nurse is definitely giving you the 3 month dose rather than the 1 month dose (call me a cynic but as you well know, it has happened on here in the past) and is storing it correctly and injecting it into the correct place?

What is the onco's plan?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 17:25

Steve

Sorry to hear about the rise. Great news about the grand child.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 20:30

Thanks Chris. 

Thanks Lynn, when my testosterone was checked back in late May it was 0.4 which was ok.  I always collect my Zoladex to take to the surgery so I always know that it the three month dose (10.8mg). 

My oncologist said my PSA has risen at the rate she expected it to.  Her plan for me is to get the maximum use out of Zoladex before she has to add Bicalutamide. 

Steve 

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 01:49

Hi, 

1.30am:  Laying awake.  Can't seem to get to sleep, remembering that during this night, five years ago, I suffered a heart attack at 4.30am.

Two weeks earlier, I had finished my radiotherapy treatment and was having a rough time with side effects: rectal bleeding and bowel urgency. 

It was really getting me down and I felt quite sorry for myself but little did I know that there was something else that was about to happen that could have taken my life when I least expected it.  

It's strange but it made me feel more at ease with my cancer because whatever might happen with that, that will be in the future and I have been given a second chance to enjoy whatever life I have left. 

Even though bad things happen, if you manage to get through them, it makes you stronger. 

Steve 

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 07:52
Got to keep plugging away!
User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 08:43

Good post Steve. Helps put things into some sort of perspective.

Ido4

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 09:05

Good positive thinking  Steve, well done. My own analogy is that I'm like an old car, while they keep patching me up, there is hope and I'm not beyond repair and being carted off to the scrap yard  !! 

I've had a good 12 months of nothing but ht to keep things stable, now I'm bagged up waiting for a turp op in a few weeks. Not pleasant but if it improves quality of life, no contest mate. 

Chris

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 12:03

Good to hear your positivity Steve, stay strong

Arthur

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 23:17
Hi Steve, did you manage to move? My wife wants us to downsize to a bungalow next Spring. My family are saying don't do it, you've enough stress in your life without a house move.

As far as I'm concerned if she wants to move I'm happy to go along with it, only going to be a short term move for me based on my prognosis.

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 23:43

Steve 

Just coming up to six years since my DX , you were probably like me "that was not in the plan" . I remember reading your very entertaining daily reports on RT treatment. Keep going mate that's all we can do.

Thanks Chris and Dawn

User
Posted 22 Nov 2019 at 08:10

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Steve, did you manage to move? My wife wants us to downsize to a bungalow next Spring. My family are saying don't do it, you've enough stress in your life without a house move.
As far as I'm concerned if she wants to move I'm happy to go along with it, only going to be a short term move for me based on my prognosis.

Jasper you have had a brilliant PSA response so don't rely on it being short term! If you like where you live now stick with it you will be here a lot longer than you think!

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 03:15

Hi, 

Well, today marks another milestone in my life, I celebrate my 65th Birthday. 

Five years ago, I was unsure whether or not I would make it this far, having had the cancer diagnosis and then only a month before my 60th birthday, a heart attack. But, I'm still here and facing a huge change in my life.

Yesterday, we finally exchanged contracts to move into a two bedroom bungalow after over 35 years in our house ... our family home! 

That's the difficult thing, it has been a home where we have raised our children.  It holds so many memories.  It will be so hard to finally say goodbye to the house I loved and leave behind wonderful neighbours, and an area where I have spent over half my life.

So, as I'm about to leave one part of my life behind and look forward to the next part, may I wish everyone here a very Happy Christmas and thank you all for the help and support you've given me over the years.  I couldn't have done it without you. 

Steve 

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 04:24
Steve,

We moved from Surrey to a bungalow in North Devon for family reasons some 9 years ago. We miss friends and neighbours in Surrey who we rarely see now due to distance. We miss the local facilities and ease of getting to London for other things including nearness to major hospitals. We had some 45 years at our previous house on which I had done a lot of work, particularly in the early years when we struggled financially. We had our 2 daughters there and a lot memories. So I remember what a very stressful time it was leaving it all behind. I recall you are not moving so far away, so hopefully you will not be so severely affected. and will settle in well.

Wish you and yours a Happy Christmas and indeed all those on the forum.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 07:18

Have a good Christmas Steve. I hope the move isn’t too stressful when it comes.

Ido4

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 11:01

Best wishes for the move Steve. A not dissimilar one to ours in that we now have a 2 bedroomed bungalow. I had to move a lot with my job so we never really got attached, if that's the right word, to any one particular house but I can see it might be difficult to leave a much loved family home that you've been in for many years.

See it as a new and different stage in your life. Best wishes for Christmas and New Year.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 11:54

Steve 

Have a great Christmas and hope all goes well with the move. 

Love Chris and Dawn

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 11:55

Happy 65th birthday Steve and many more to come.

I hope the move goes well and you settle quickly into your new home

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Arthur 

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 13:39

I wish you every happiness in your new home and many years to enjoy it. Happy Birthday too. It is a milestone day for us too - nine years ago exactly we were told my oh had pc. He is still ok even though he is currently on chemo. We have done many enjoyable things in those years and are thankful to all the doctors and nurses and wish them a good Christmas too.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 04:42

Hi, 

Just had my four monthly Oncology appointment this afternoon (Tuesday) and I feel disappointed.

After having a PSA result a couple of months ago of 2.50 (which had come down from 3.20), my latest result is 4.10. 

I feel stunned, and now feel I have to face the reality that I've got difficult times ahead.

Steve 

Edited by member 29 Jan 2020 at 04:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 05:00

Steve, really feeling for you. Hoping to see you on Thursday.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 07:09
Steve

Sorry to hear this. Keep fighting. There are still a few more tools in the box.

P

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 07:42

Steve,

Sorry to hear your latest result, has the oncologist advised any further treatment?

Best wishes, Arthur 

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 09:20

Hi Steve, sorry to read this. As Arthur has asked what has the oncologist suggested next?

Keep fighting.

Ido4

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 09:39
Sorry to see this. Onco said in September that they would introduce bicalutimide if it continued to rise - has that happened now or do they want to wait a bit longer?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 10:20

Steve

Sorry to hear that. Keep going mate.I was to taking to someone this week, his friend had lived for 26 years post DX and it wasn't pc that got him in the end.

Love Chris and Dawn.

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 13:31

Sorry to hear about this Steve as a fellow "PSA rising after treatment" member. As others have said, still other tools in the box. Keep us updated. 

User
Posted 29 Jan 2020 at 15:13
Keep the faith Steve— us ‘older’ forum members are moving forward together, so we will stick together yeh !
User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 02:00

Hi, 

Thanks everyone, for your kind replies and support.

During my Onco appointment we did discuss what treatment could now follow. I asked about Bicalutamide that had been suggested at previous meetings.  My Onco said it was a possibility but also wanted to talk about maybe starting me on Enzalutamide or Abiraterone at some point if my PSA continued to rise. 

She said she was willing to add Bicalutamide to the Zoladex I'm on, immediately, but then decided to wait and see what my situation was like at the next appointment. 

I found the mention of Enzalutamide and Abiraterone a bit depressing as I don't like to think of myself needing that level of treatment, in the not too distant future.

Having just moved house to a bungalow in the last couple of weeks, we've been enjoying creating a new "home".  I'm sad to think that, for me, the time I have to spend there with my wife may not be as long as I'd once hoped for. 

Steve 

Edited by member 30 Jan 2020 at 02:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 09:02

Hi Steve, sorry it’s not the best news but you know all the stuff I have done and am still doing so it’s not all bad. 

Always here if you want a chat.

Kev 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 13:10
My oh had arberatitone for nearly two years and had very few side affects so it is not too daunting ans many people were on it for longer with good results.

Try not to focus just on your psa number. They seem to like to see that you are well in yourself before deciding which way to go next.

Good luck

User
Posted 01 Feb 2020 at 11:10

Steve,

I'm not an authority on most if the treatments mate but the abi was brilliant for me for 16 months until a setback meant I couldn't use it any more . That reason is explained in other posts. I know you've had other issues but for me I carried on working full time with minor side effects like flushes which the other half thought was a  hilarious party piece of clothing on, off, on , wet flannels etc. Tiredness, you manage your time effectively as I am sure you do now. The weight gain is inevitable,  34 to a 36 pants for me with a stone collected around that area.  I know it's another tick off the treatment list but as I have preached before, you keep taking your car for repairs, it's a pain but it's still repairable,  it's when they suggest the scrap heap you should worry , you've got loads of m.o.t 's left in you Steve.

Regards

Chris.