I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cheshire Chris's Treatment Thread

User
Posted 16 Oct 2020 at 20:15
PSA test today. 18 months since I finished my RT, so in theory my PSA should be pretty much at the nadir. Six months ago it was 1.4 so we'll see what it is now. I was on bicalutimide, on which PSA never goes really low as it does with the injected HT, so 1.4 is an entirely reasonable figure. My oncologist told me at the start he'd regard treatment as having been "successful" if the nadir was below 2, so I've already achieved that.

Quite surprised to find that I'm getting pretty stressed about the results. There's really no reason for me to worry, but still I do. I guess "test anxiety" never really goes away, does it?

This test was done at the local hospital rather than my GP's, so I don't know if I'll find out the results via my GP or if I'll have to wait for my phone consultation on 4th Nov. Time will tell, I suppose.

In good health generally. I've lost over two stone since June with a combination of dieting and exercise, and feel a lot better for it. Still need to lose another two stone before I'll no longer be clinically "obese", but I'll get there!

Hope everyone's doing well,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Oct 2020 at 20:59

Hope you are well Chris and you get a good result. I call my GP’s now and ask for the printed ‘blood report’ and if it’s done say before midday it’s usually processed in the lab at local hospital that evening. Fingers crossed you get a good result. The anxiety is an odd thing and like a reset when it comes back without issue. Hope you can relax over the weekend and keep us updated.

Simon

User
Posted 16 Oct 2020 at 22:36
Well done with the weight loss!
User
Posted 16 Oct 2020 at 23:45

Here’s hoping you get a good result Chris. I ordered that urine bottle tonight πŸ‘πŸΌ

User
Posted 17 Oct 2020 at 00:41

Good luck Chris.

I don't seem to get PSA anxiety, except in between having the blood taken and getting the result. The lab turns it around in a few hours, and if my GP requests it, I get it the same day or next day from their online system. If the hospital requests it (same lab), my GP can't see it and I have to email the CNS for the result. I may get more PSA anxiety when I come off hormone therapy - that's the next real indication if the RT treatment worked or not.

I have on occasion doctored the hospital blood test form to add my GP onto it, and then I see it on their online system.

Well done on the weight loss too.

User
Posted 17 Oct 2020 at 11:45

PSA test anxiety never goes away for me.
Here’s hoping for a good result.

Ido4

User
Posted 17 Oct 2020 at 21:08
Good luck
User
Posted 18 Oct 2020 at 20:30
Chris 15 years on PSA anxiety still kicks in. I'm trying to make excuses for not booking next one for end of month.

Good luck on next result.

Ray
User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 16:42
Got the result: 1.5, which is slightly up from 1.4 six months ago, but I don't think an increase of 0.1 is of any significance, given that six months ago I was still on HT, and now I'm not. We'll see what they say when I have my phone consultation in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 19:12
Pretty good result to me.
User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 20:30
Good news Chris
User
Posted 21 Oct 2020 at 21:03
Good result, CC πŸ‘
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 22 Oct 2020 at 20:49

Great result!

User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 11:57
Just had a phone consultation with my cancer nurse as a follow-up to the six-monthly PSA test I had a couple of weeks ago. She confirmed that small rises in PSA are entirely normal as the effects of HT wear off (my PSA went from 1.4 six months ago to 1.5 now), and said that as far as she was concerned everything was looking good, so I can put it all out of my mind again until next May.

Happy days! 😁

Chris
User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 12:02

Great news Chris. Hope you can enjoy the festive season as much as possible given Covid. 🍻

User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 12:06
Love it. Xmas blow-out mate
User
Posted 04 Nov 2020 at 14:25

Great news Chris. πŸ‘

User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 19:48
Just got an appointment through for my annual chest and abdomen CT scan that's a follow-up to my treatment for kidney cancer in 2018, to check that the cancer hasn't come back. Saturday 20th Feb at Arrowe Park hospital.

Absolutely no reason to be worried, but the "has it come back?" anxiety never really goes away, does it? I get it for both my kidney cancer and prostate cancer appointments. Never mind.

Chris
User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 21:40

Hope everything goes well. Defo correct about the anxiety as it keeps one frosty that’s for sure πŸ‘€

User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 21:56
Best wishes Chris. God bless the NHS heh in these trying times. Best of luck on your results 🀞
User
Posted 07 Feb 2021 at 08:17

Good luck xx

barbara x

User
Posted 07 Feb 2021 at 13:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Best wishes Chris. God bless the NHS heh in these trying times. Best of luck on your results 🀞

Thanks, Chris. Yes, my consultant said he was requesting my scan (which was actually due in mid March) early because of potential delays, but it actually came through quickly, so I'm ending up having it a month early. 

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 10:41

I hope all is clear in the scan Chris. The “has it come back” worry never goes unfortunately. Take care,

Ido4

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 10:49

Good luck Chris , hope all goes well πŸ‘

Phil

User
Posted 08 Feb 2021 at 16:25
🀞🀞🀞
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 08:39
Just got back the results of a kidney function blood test that I had prior to my CT scan. All normal (normal for a person with one kidney, that is). So that's good news, at least!

Chris
User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 09:38

That’s good news Chris.

Ido4

User
Posted 10 Feb 2021 at 09:46

πŸ‘

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 15:16
Much to my surprise I got "summoned" for vaccination today. All incredibly efficient: got the text message from my GP at 12:15 with a link to the booking system, offered an appointment at 2pm, and in and out in 20m, including the 15m wait after the vaccination! They're doing vaccinations here at the local rugby league stadium. I had the Pfizer vaccine. Didn't feel a thing!

For my age I would have been in group 8, but apparently I'm classed as "vulnerable" due to only having one kidney, so was done in group 6.

Happy days!

Chris
User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 15:33

Nice one Chris...I did make an enquiry last week but no change to my Group 9 status !

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 15:45

That’s good Chris πŸ‘. The sooner we get everyone vaccinated the better. Had the Pfizer a few weeks ago and like you was easy and luckily no side effects.

Phil

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 20:54
I got my Pfizer last week aged 53. My wife hasn’t been called same age. I guess it was because my rib mets were causing breathing problems. Not sure.
User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 22:28
Glad to hear you've had your vaccine too, Chris. M

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 15:24

Email from my consultant about my annual CT scan as a follow-up to my kidney cancer:

"the scan has been reported and it is all good news. There is no evidence of recurrence or metastasis (spread)."

That's a relief. I put it out of my mind in between scans, but I must admit that I do get stressed waiting for results!

I'm fortunate to have a great consultant who I can email at any time.

Chris

Edited by member 22 Mar 2021 at 15:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 15:34

Great news Chris πŸ‘ Long may it continue.

Phil

User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 16:14

That’s great news and great that your Consultant emails you. 
We sat waiting on a telephone appointment with the oncology nurse from 1pm today. At 2.30pm I phoned and was told she was on annual leave 😳 glad I chased the post RT PSA results myself on Friday.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 21:00

Lexi26. Looked at your profile. So pleased to read your post RT PSA.

I am in the same position myself. Hope my PSA result later this week is the same.πŸ‘

Jim

User
Posted 22 Mar 2021 at 23:17
Great news Chris
User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 03:09

good news Chris

regards barbara

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 09:43

Fantastic news Chris.

Ido4

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 12:23

Great news Chris. Best wishes going forward 

Jim

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 13:28

Chris

Great news, hope it continues.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 14:31

Great result Chris. Another anxious time over.

Ange x

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 16:22

That's good.  Another year is always a relief.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2021 at 18:16

Thanks, all! I had a phone call from Arrowe Park this afternoon offering me an "end of treatment workshop" about living with one kidney. When I replied that I actually had my treatment two and a half years ago, the nurse laughed and said that it was a new thing they're now offering to all patients as they come up on their annual review. It sounds interesting, so I happily accepted!

Chris

Edited by member 23 Mar 2021 at 18:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2021 at 09:40

Better late than never!

Ido4

User
Posted 30 Mar 2021 at 17:48
Six monthly PSA test today. Test at 10:05 at my GP’s and the result on their online system by 5pm. That’s efficient! PSA is unchanged from October at 1.5, so that’s good news. Nadir was 1.4, so I guess the slight increase is just a β€œrebound” after the RT and HT ended.
User
Posted 30 Mar 2021 at 20:17

Nice one Chris! handy to have that online PSA results check, is that via Patient Access?

Cheers, 

Nick

User
Posted 30 Mar 2021 at 21:05

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Nice one Chris! handy to have that online PSA results check, is that via Patient Access?

Cheers, 

Nick

It's via the online system my GP's surgery uses, which is called "SystmOnline" (no "e") by a company called "tpp". The website is really good and lets you look at your full records and test results, order prescriptions, and so on. There's an accompanying app called "Airmid" which isn't particularly good, so I generally use the website. 

Chris

Edited by member 30 Mar 2021 at 22:50  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 30 Mar 2021 at 22:39

Cheers chris; my 'patient access' is pretty useless.. Can only book a blood pressure appt(!) and still no luck at trying to unearth my medical records!! so it was another 25 min wait on the phone to book my next prostrap injection... Only to be told the appts werent open yet for 3 weeks time... fortunately she took pity on me and arranged to have them unlocked there and then :)