Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 7.3 - referred to urologist

User
Posted 01 Dec 2018 at 09:41

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Got Diazepam today. Feel calmer. Thanks, Chris.

Have you only been prescribed Diazepam? What dose? 5mg tablets? It works instantly, but I'd be wary about taking it for more than a few days because it does have dependency issues. I'd still ask for one of the drugs intended for longer-term usage such as Sertraline if I were you.

Glad to hear you're feeling a little better, anyway. It does take time to come to terms with something like this, but you will. 

Take care,

Chris

User
Posted 01 Dec 2018 at 10:03

Cheers, Chris. Right now, Id rather be addicted to Diapezam than anxiety. Still quietly hoping for BPH, but who knows....

User
Posted 01 Dec 2018 at 18:55
I have Lorazapam. Probably much the same. Swallow about a half, deep breath and ready to face the world.
User
Posted 01 Dec 2018 at 20:10
I’ve been prescribed Diazepam for years now but only take maybe two 5mg per week in total. They do work for me if I wake up in the morning feeling dread and anxiety. I’m allowed 10 mg per day but I do have bipolar issues also. I just don’t want to get addicted and am scared to take each day. Sadly I drink far more than is healthy and wish I could stop that tbh but it ain’t happening and I love my red wine. And Diazepam and booze REALLY don’t mix at all. Like any drug the effects will lessen so try not to use it each day !!
User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 15:43

Been to urologist. Don't know what to think tbh. I didn't do a flow test or have ultrasound. He asked the questions of when my urinary symptoms had begun and I told him 6 weeks ago after a week of extreme stress. Also turns out I'd mis-heard GPs PSA of 7.3 - it is 7.9! This freaked me out, but urologist seemed less concerned by the .6 differential. To me, it felt like a mountainous rise.

Anyway, he then did a DRE, which felt more uncomfortable than GP doing it. GP has said "smooth" and slightly enlarged - urologist said it felt completely normal. Why symptoms of BPH though I asked? Didn't really hear his answer. Then I had to do another urine sample, followed by another f...ing PSA. I had googled that a PSA after a DRE can lead to a higher reading, but I forgot to ask the urologist this.

I then pressed him about my chances of Pca (stupid question, but I was bound to ask). "I'd say about 80/20 in your favour". What? Where did he pluck a stat like that from? I guess I asked for it though. Felt a bit like the odds on Harry Kane scoring the first goal at the next Euros.

Anyway, I have mp/MRI coming next week sometime, at which point he said if it was clear, we would wait 3 months and check PSA.

None of this did anything other than lead me to my diapezam and more confusion about the whole bloody thing.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 16:04
H,

I had to laugh reading your note - I know I shouldn’t - that you are now more wound up than ever. Yes, prostate stimulation including orgasm does increase PSA temporarily.

Do take the positive from him, that you may be 80% in the clear, then you’ll have something like green light laser therapy for BPH to ‘look forward to’😟.

Roll on the mpMRI, keep taking the tablets, and keep calm and carry on.

Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:22

Hello all. It's depressing old me again. Tomorrow is my MRI scan. Anyone know the time scale for results and whether to expect a letter/phone call?

God knows how I have managed to keep going until now. In truth, I haven't really. I have become monosyllabic with pretty much everyone other than my dog. I avoid humans at all costs and I am now chain smoking - I'm off diazepam simply because I didn't want to converse with another human in order to get a repeat prescription. Finding out from the urologist that my PSA was 7.9 and not the 7.3 that I thought didn't help, but then again I have read many PCa cases diagnosed with much lower scores than mine. The DRE being normal offers no solace to me, because they can only feel one side of that anyway. Besides, with a "smooth but slightly enlarged" from GP and a "normal" from urologist, it all seems subjective crap anyhow. Urinary issues of needing to go more than I should come and go depending on how much stress or coffee I have and life has generally been horribly bleak; I can only sense it becoming bleaker.

That's it for now from Mr Morbid. Good luck to all you brave souls out there.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 16:33
Hi Haig.

Just to give you some idea of timescale (bearing in mind we are using different hospitals).

I had my MRI on 5th October I then had a letter dated 8th October telling me I had an appointment for a biopsy on 19th October got results from that on 13th November

Hope this helps a bit

Bob

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 17:54

Thanks Bob.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 18:21

H,

Calm down dear!

Wait until you have a diagnosis. It will probably be a week or ten days until the radiologist evaluates the radiographer’s imaging, and then there will be a subsequent consultation to be arranged with your consultant to tell you result.

The only reassurance I can give you, if you do indeed have cancer eventually, is to check out the morbidity rates for prostate cancer compared with other cancers, and as one GP said to me “prostate cancer is one of the best you can get”.

Obviously he didn’t have it!

In my case, I don’t have cancer currently, and my chances of survival for fifteen years are 98%, by which time I will most likely be dead of something else.

Hope your MRI comes up clear.

Cheers, John

Edited by member 13 Dec 2018 at 00:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 18:28

Thanks, John. As usual, you do cheer me up a bit and my morose-ometer sort of shifts the right way. If someone offered me 15 years now, I'd bite their hand off. Might even be long enough to see West Ham finish in the top 6. 

H

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 18:37
I will have a few quid on you being here in 15 years but I wouldn't put a bean on West Ham ever making top 6
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 18:38

:)

User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 20:53

Had MRI, to the (faint) sound of Miles Davis, or "Davies" as it was incorrectly catalogued by the hospital typists. Receptionist seemed unimpressed by my spotting of typo. Oh well. I now feel I have developed pain in hip, although it seems to be more of a muscular tweak to the front than any aching persistent pain on the side. Needless to say, I have convinced myself of advanced Pca. Night all.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 21:18

Needless to say, I have convinced myself of advanced Pca. Night all.

May I refer the Honourable Member to the reply I gave earlier:

“Calm down dear!”

Cheers, John.

P.S. I regularly sail on a cruise line that has ’Tornado of Beef’ on the menu. They pretend to take notice when I tell them it should read ’Tournedos’, as in Rossini. I’ve told them for years, but now I’ve given up!

User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 21:20

Yes, receptionist gave me the old "Oh, I'll let them know". Sure you will.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 21:26
One thing that’s certain is that we’re all going to die - the only question is when. That being the case, might I humbly suggest that the best strategy to employ is to enjoy life, whether that life be one day, 5 years, or 30 years? You don’t get a second chance (unless, perhaps, you’re a Buddhist), so make the most of it! You could be run over by a bus tomorrow, and wouldn’t it be silly to spend your last day feeling sorry for yourself when you could have been enjoying yourself and having a great time?

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 21:27

Hi Chris. You're right, of course. I just seem unable to subscribe though.

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 17:27
Haig.

I don’t know why I have not asked this before....have you discussed you situation with your male work colleague and friends.

The reason I ask is you may be surprised how many of them either have PC or know someone that has.

Iplay golf and of the 30 odd of us that play together there is a least 4 that have gone through treatment.

It is good to be able to talk to someone firsthand about it.

Bob

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 19:25

Thanks Bob. I have this option coming, if I get to hear what I don't want to hear. Today, I appear to have hit rock bottom again & I am beginning to feel sorry for the rocks.

H

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 13:37

I received devastating news today. I got a phone call from hospital after last Thursday's MRI. They want me in tomorrow for a trans-rectal biopsy. Clearly they have found Pca, just now to what level. With my previous urinary symptoms, I fear that I am not at an early stage. 

I thought I'd get the all clear, deep down inside. But then again I am a fool. 

Haig

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 13:55

I received devastating news today. I got a phone call from hospital after last Thursday's MRI. They want me in tomorrow for a trans-rectal biopsy. Clearly they have found Pca, just now to what level. With my previous urinary symptoms, I fear that I am not at an early stage. 

I thought I'd get the all clear, deep down inside. But then again I am a fool. 

Haig

Haig

You won't know if you have PCa until a biopsy is carried out... 
An MRI may show an area of concern ...but that could be anything... not necessarily PCa   
Only a biopsy in your case will confirm it one way or the other.

For what it's worth ..even if you are diagnosed with PCa I doubt very much if it's at an advanced state.. 

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:09

Thanks Luther, like everyone else you have been a star throughout. I fear though that because I have been called in so quickly that there is major concern. I don't really want to go on at this stage, if I am honest.

H

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:14
Haig.

Don’t worry about the timescale. They sent my appointment for my biopsy 3 days after my scan.

Bob

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:20

My husband's biopsy was done very quickly too. We are awaiting the results. I think you're getting the best care and it's good they're moving along with s biopsy. 

There are so many different things it could be even in the realm of cancer, so please don't despair at this point. 

All the best 

Janet

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:22

Thank you Janet. I am just numbed. 50 years old is not young, I know, but I thought I'd go another decade before learning of something horrid. Now I doubt I'll see 60 at all.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:32
All they have found on the MRI is an area of suspicion, which may or not be cancer. The biopsy should determine whether it is or not.

If you have got cancer, they will work out a treatment plan, if one is required at all, and then you can carry on with the rest of your life like us lot here.

Of course, now you’ll have an anxious wait for the biopsy results, and I hope Christmas doesn’t delay that.

Hope your procedure goes smoothly tomorrow (lots of KY jelly involved 😂😂😂).

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 14:38

Thanks John - I never did like jelly. I just hope it isn't at the advanced stage now.

H

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 15:24

Haig.

Don’t worry about the timescale. They sent my appointment for my biopsy 3 days after my scan.

Bob

Yep - entirely normal. Many people have an MRI and biopsy on the same day. They tend to do a biopsy regardless of whether or not the MRI shows anything, because it's not at all uncommon for tumours not to show up on an MRI (mine didn't).

Chris

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 15:28

Thanks Chris. You, Bob, John, Luther...everyone so supportive of me and yet all the while I was feeling an imposter because I hoped I had nothing at all. 

H

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 15:36

Everybody has that hope smile .

Chris

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 17:37

Luther - I forgot to say. "It's worth a lot" your final comment. Bless you and all of you for being able to offer me kindness in your words.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 17:52

Luther - I forgot to say. "It's worth a lot" your final comment. Bless you and all of you for being able to offer me kindness in your words.

I'm no Psychiatrist, Psychologist or Therapist  Hiag  Lol!

In fact,  I'm pretty matter of fact about stuff ... ( probably due to my aerospace background ) 

I'm pleased that my comments give you some reassurance.. 

You'll get through this one way or another and come out the other side a stronger person... believe me!  smile

Best Wishes 
Luther 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 18:48

Thanks Luther - I just want to be around a while to watch my boy grow into a man.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 19:05

Thanks Luther - I just want to be around a while to watch my boy grow into a man.

Yeah I know Haig.. I can't promise you that....no one can! 
But if I was a betting man I'd say that PCa will not prevent you from doing that... wink

Luther 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 19:09

He's 20, so I might get lucky. To me, he is still my little boy though; I guess he always will be. I can't stop crying (although I try to do it privately) and I am such a whimp compared to all of you. 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 19:19

He's 20, so I might get lucky. To me, he is still my little boy though; I guess he always will be. I can't stop crying (although I try to do it privately) and I am such a whimp compared to all of you. 

You're not a wimp matey.... we've all had our moments I can assure you! ...

It's better to unload on here than bottle it all up... We've all been in your shoes to one degree or another .. 

Easy for me to say now innit ...coming up to 5 years PCa free.... but I'll be shi**ing meself again if my PSA level starts to rise... 

Luther 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 19:24

Living life between PSA tests is something I am not looking forward to getting used to. Luther, you are a good man and I just want to let you know that you have brought some relief to an aching heart. I guess that's enough now, otherwise I will sound like a soppy whimp.

H

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 19:28

cool laughing

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 05:39
I have got a stack of PSA forms (and a photocopier😉) so I could have a PSA a month if I wanted. Three or four post-op have been undetectable, and I’ll have my next one sometime next month, three months after the last one.

I am not anxiously awaiting the result, and even if it shows a rise and then the next one is higher too, I’ll deal with it. It won’t be the end of the world, and it will just be a matter of whether I bother to have any further treatment or not.

I have put this disease into context, and in my case it won’t be a killer. Not the same for everyone here, unfortunately.

H, wait until if and when you get a diagnosis and a G score, then you’ll know whether to really start worrying, or just be chilled about the whole thing, as I have from the start a year ago.

Best of luck today.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 06:32

Thanks John. Not a wink of sleep last night, of course. You ever get that feeling of why me?

All the best,

H

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 17:09

Evening all. Back from biopsy - not an overly pleasant experience I must say; felt like I was driving home with a rock wedged up my ass. 

I got mixed news from consultants I spoke to. The bad news was that the MRI of course didn't come up clear (zones 1 & 2?) and I was in zone/band 3 with some weight towards 4. Basically, I was told 4 & 5 were strong indicators of Pca and 3 was pretty murky waters that could go either way. Anyway, I was also told that PCa wasn't a definite at this juncture and only the biopsy could tell with any degree of certainty.

Then I found out that the second PSA I had done at my uro appt. (3 weeks after my 7.9 at GP) had dropped to 5.8 (this was also done immediately after a DRE from uro). Not sure of any relevance here, but at least it hadn't risen. 

The guy doing the Biopsy made it a hat trick of DREs and confirmed slightly enlarged but smooth (GP had said the same thing). He also said that the MRI had shown any areas of suspicion to be confined to the gland itself, which again I took as good news but probably meant little.

Results in 2 weeks. Still convinced it is PCa, but might get lucky on the Gleason, I hope.

H

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 17:54
I do hope you turn out to be "the boy who cried wolf" and a bloody whinger, all over a false alarm, but if not, it's not the end of the world.

Try not to chew all your fingernails before the New Year, and enjoy your Christmas! I hope you sleep better tonight.

P.S. You will likely have some blood in your urine and semen for some time, and pass some lumpy blood clots - entirely normal.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 17:59

Cheers John! I feel a bit (& I really do mean "a bit") more positive about my potential outcome. Not that I don't think I have Pca, but that it might not be the worst variant that I know others here have had to somehow endure. Of course, I could be talking out of my ass (wouldn't be the first time)....speaking of which, it's still feeling pretty sorry for itself.

I almost pulled out of the biopsy at the last minute thinking I might just take my chances and run. Not sure if I did the right thing going through with it all tbh.

H

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 18:19
Only 3 DRE’s you got off lightly 😳😳😳
User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 18:21
Would you be happy to play Russian Roulette with three bullets in a six-chamber revolver just on a spontaneous whim?

You have definitely done the right thing having the biopsy just as your medics have advised.

The sooner you have a diagnosis the better for us all, and then you can either bugger off and stop bothering us, you hypochondriac, or be welcomed here to s*** street.

Which in my own case, is not too shitty at all!

Others have much worse prognoses of course.

Anyway, Merry Christmas from the Red Sea, Santa is everywhere here in Egypt.

Cheers John.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 18:21

Hi Bob. :)

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 18:24

I'm afraid that even if I get lucky I will still be popping in to say hello. Still believe I will be a fully paid up bona fide member of the s*** club though. Ditto on the Happy Xmas thing.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 21:52

Been googling all evening. Pi-Rads is the MRI level thing I was going on about and with mine at 3 (equivocal) and 4 (clinically significant cancer deemed "likely") my optimism bubble has well and truly popped. Crap, if only it could have remained at Pi-bloody-Rad 3 all over then I might've been hopeful. This Pi-Rad thing was never properly explained and yes, it is a radiologist's interpretation, but still, you'd expect radiologists to provide accurate info. Why not then fully explain this Pi-Rad score to patients then? PSA is always explained and that is notoriously flakey in its accuracy. All of this and nothing really from consultant using the word "likely" at any point. Crap.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2018 at 16:49
Hair, it is really daft to have PSA test immediately after your prostate has been agitated by the urologust. Get it done well away from any time of stimulating the prostate region. That includes cycling, by the way. I suspect you will find the "true" PSA level will be down a bit from what you have reported.

Stop worrying about grey areas on a scan. A radiologist will do his/her best to interpret these but it is not an exact science. Accuracy is the wrong word to use.

Have you confused a DRE with a biopsy, in which sample of prostate tissue are taken and examined off-line in a lab? Only the latter will tell whether you have PCa and give a Gleason score for it.

Relax!

AC