I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RECTAL SPACER

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 11:55

So, after several years of watchful waiting and a template biopsy last year I have been advised I need treatment and have decided to opt for radiotherapy.  It seems obvious to me that a rectal spacer would be of benefit.  Since my hospital do not offer this on the NHS does anyone have an idea of cost to get this done privately?

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 12:54
Ballpark figure should be around Β£3000.

My medical insurers agreed to fund it, but I couldn't actually find anyone to do it. Have you found someone?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 14:30
Also worth checking with your oncologist whether the position of your tumour(s) means that SpaceOar could impede the radiotherapy from getting to where it needs to be. Most men would be fine but if your tumour is towards the front of your prostate (next to the bowel) it isn't always such a great idea.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 15:18

Hi Resinant,

Before i had radiotherapy i asked the onco about the spacer in July 2019 and he told me i would have to go private and i would have to go to the Nuffield Vale hospital in Wales for the operation.

The operation was called Bioprotect Balloon Procedure.and cost me about (cant remember exact cost) £6000

plus a hotel the night before.

After radiotherapy i had no problems with back passage but had & still have an over active bladder but that maybe because i had problems with RT.

Hope this helps

Richard

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 17:47

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

I have checked on the SpaceOAR website and have been quoted around £5,000 for the procedure.  Although I have been advised by one hospital I asked (presume they can't be named here) to ask for a referral to NHS hospital not far away who appear to offer rectal spacers.  Not sure how to go about that but I will ask my oncologist.  

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 18:45
It’s fine to name hospitals, but not people πŸ™‚.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 19:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
It’s fine to name hospitals, but not people πŸ™‚.

Strictly speaking the forum rules say it isn't. The problem is that if the thread becomes more controversial in years to come, the clinic could sue PCUK. That is very unlikely with an NHS hospital, but a private hospital may be more litigious. There is also the problem that if we are seen to promote a hospital or clinic we need an MHRA licence. You may find that hard to believe, but a few friends of mine named our golf society "drapolene challenge"* after the nappy rash cream (it's a long story). The mighty Drapolene Corporation threatened us with the MHRA for unlicensed promotion of a medical product. I think the fact we had registered their domain name really pxssxd them off.

*Other nappy rash creams are available. 

Edited by member 03 Mar 2021 at 19:39  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 22:58
I suppose talking about a$$holes on a thread about rectal spacers is on topic.
User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 07:50

I was offered on the NHS so clearly some do offer this although I was told they were limited to only 2 per week I think it was and they had a back log so If I had not gone private in Dec and had this done I know I would have still been waiting

I had it under local and it didn't take too long and to be honest it was fine and I never had any issues following the procedure

Good Luck

User
Posted 29 Nov 2023 at 17:30

Hi Richard,

Did you have any complications with BioProtect balloon installation and after the procedure?

Thank you for your responses.

Edited by member 29 Nov 2023 at 21:53  | Reason: Not specified