Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Recurrence?

User
Posted 15 Jun 2021 at 21:03

Hi there,

Just reeling with shock here. My husband was diagnosed in 2015 with T3b N1 M0, Gleason 7 (4+3). Hormone therapy and radiotherapy as a ‘cure’. PSA after treatment has remained undetected until now which is 0.1. All treatment stopped for 2.5 years. No reason for concern! However today just been informed of two hotspots on spine due to a bone scan requested for backache. Apparently this is rare, but to all of you out there, be vigilant and pursue any concerns. Best wishes. 

Edited by member 23 Jun 2021 at 09:20  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 20:02

We are now nearly 3 months down the line. The oncologist added enzalutamide alongside prostap with monthly blood tests and phone consultations to monitor the situation. We’ve just had the first of these with the result of PSA <0.1. Other bloods within normal range. Onco pleased as we are.

User
Posted 15 Jun 2021 at 23:25
Sorry to see this. With a T3 N1, a cure was very unlikely; that should have been made clear at the time. Have you seen the oncologist yet or were these just the results being passed on to you? If it is confirmed that the hot spots are bone mets and definitely prostate cancer mets, one possibility will be that they have been there the whole time but weren't picked up at diagnosis? If confirmed as PCa mets, at least they are away from the pelvic area so further targeted (stereotactic ablation) RT / might be possible?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 00:56

I tend to be rather optimistic, at the start of my own diagnosis I was positive, and assumed it was probably not cancer; as each test came in the probability of it being cancer went up. At the end of the diagnosis process I was diagnosed with  an aggressive cancer (G9 T3 N0 M0) but it hasn't changed my positive outlook.

So looking at your hubby's results, I'm not seeing a massive problem (it could be me being over optimistic). I think your hubby still has a prostate (he didn't have a prostatectomy?, if I have got this wrong don't bother reading anymore of this post, as I am posting under a misapprehension).

If hubby has a prostate and is not currently on HT then any PSA under about 2.1 is not likely to be a problem. If he had active bone mets I find it hard to believe his PSA would still be only 0.1. A bone scan doesn't detect cancer it detects abnormal bone growth, now in a cancer patient with a high PSA that is probably caused by mets, but it could be caused by some other bone disorder (arthritis) https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/nuclear-bone-scan

So I don't want to give you false hope, but if I were you I would not be assuming the cancer had returned, just that he had aquired some other crippling bone disease instead (last bit about the crippling bone disease is a joke, I have a very dark sense of humour) 

Dave

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 20:37

Good result. 

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Jun 2021 at 23:25
Sorry to see this. With a T3 N1, a cure was very unlikely; that should have been made clear at the time. Have you seen the oncologist yet or were these just the results being passed on to you? If it is confirmed that the hot spots are bone mets and definitely prostate cancer mets, one possibility will be that they have been there the whole time but weren't picked up at diagnosis? If confirmed as PCa mets, at least they are away from the pelvic area so further targeted (stereotactic ablation) RT / might be possible?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jun 2021 at 00:56

I tend to be rather optimistic, at the start of my own diagnosis I was positive, and assumed it was probably not cancer; as each test came in the probability of it being cancer went up. At the end of the diagnosis process I was diagnosed with  an aggressive cancer (G9 T3 N0 M0) but it hasn't changed my positive outlook.

So looking at your hubby's results, I'm not seeing a massive problem (it could be me being over optimistic). I think your hubby still has a prostate (he didn't have a prostatectomy?, if I have got this wrong don't bother reading anymore of this post, as I am posting under a misapprehension).

If hubby has a prostate and is not currently on HT then any PSA under about 2.1 is not likely to be a problem. If he had active bone mets I find it hard to believe his PSA would still be only 0.1. A bone scan doesn't detect cancer it detects abnormal bone growth, now in a cancer patient with a high PSA that is probably caused by mets, but it could be caused by some other bone disorder (arthritis) https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/nuclear-bone-scan

So I don't want to give you false hope, but if I were you I would not be assuming the cancer had returned, just that he had aquired some other crippling bone disease instead (last bit about the crippling bone disease is a joke, I have a very dark sense of humour) 

Dave

User
Posted 17 Jun 2021 at 13:31

Thank you both for replying. My OH has restarted HT and we are now waiting for an appointment with the oncologist. We just did not expect this with a PSA of 0.1 nor did the urologist. 

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 20:02

We are now nearly 3 months down the line. The oncologist added enzalutamide alongside prostap with monthly blood tests and phone consultations to monitor the situation. We’ve just had the first of these with the result of PSA <0.1. Other bloods within normal range. Onco pleased as we are.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2021 at 20:37

Good result. 

Dave