I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy experience

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 12:11

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and had a 12 needle Trus biopsy, fortunately it was very effective and I only required the one procedure. I describe the procedure as a walk in the park and was back in work the next day. 

Like many hospitals, our hospital has moved on to the MRI trans perennial biopsy and from a talk by my surgeon at a Zoom meeting sometimes do fewer than 12 samples.

A relative is having a biopsy in a couple of weeks, he asked for my experience of the biopsy, but I have no experience of the MRI guided biopsy. Your experiences would be appreciated, he is not sure if it will be under local or general anaesthetic.

The main question was, is it painful ☹️ ? How many samples were taken ?

I assume the MRI guided biopsy is also different to the template biopsy.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 12:11

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and had a 12 needle Trus biopsy, fortunately it was very effective and I only required the one procedure. I describe the procedure as a walk in the park and was back in work the next day. 

Like many hospitals, our hospital has moved on to the MRI trans perennial biopsy and from a talk by my surgeon at a Zoom meeting sometimes do fewer than 12 samples.

A relative is having a biopsy in a couple of weeks, he asked for my experience of the biopsy, but I have no experience of the MRI guided biopsy. Your experiences would be appreciated, he is not sure if it will be under local or general anaesthetic.

The main question was, is it painful ☹️ ? How many samples were taken ?

I assume the MRI guided biopsy is also different to the template biopsy.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 16:04
My transperineal biopsy involved me going in in the early morning, ‘nil by mouth’, a load of waiting, then into the theatre and waking up in the recovery room feeling fine about 1.30 pm.

Then back to the ward, where the first two micturitions were like pissing razor blades, but OK thereafter,

There was a junior doctor in charge of the ward, who knew little of urology, and I was fine, ready to go home. He disagreed, so I had to go through the rigmarole of discharging myself, which I don’t think the child doctor had ever encountered before!

I eventually left with a course of the anti-biotic Cephalexin.

They took forty-two samples, and I ended up with a multi-coloured bruise the size of my hand on my perineum, and a cancer diagnosis…

There was the inevitable pink urine later, and strawberry-coloured semen (can’t say if it was strawberry flavour) for a week or two, and that was that, much like my prostatectomy surgery!

Another guy on the ward had had a number of the useless TRUS biopsies, and was in agony after his transperineal, and was in no fit state to go anywhere that day.

Best of luck to your relative!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 19:41

I had an MRI guided T.P. biopsy at Addenbrookes on 04/06 and only had a local anaesthetic. The surgeon told me that if the procedure was too painful for me they would stop and arrange another attempt under a general anaesthetic. That was, fortunately, not necessary and though 13 core samples were taken, I found, like you, the procedure was a walk in the park. Sure, I could feel the pressure as the samples were taken but it was not, for me, painful. It may have helped that I had an attractive doctor chatting to me, to take my mind off things, as the surgeon did his stuff. When I got up I did bleed a little from the area where the needle was put in, over my hush puppy shoes in fact ( The staff at the hospital wanted me to keep my shoes and socks on, even though I was stripped naked other than wearing a flimsy gown). So, I suggest you tell your relative to wear easy to clean shoes. My operation was at 2 pm and, unlike Bollinge, I had to undergo no prep (though no doubt that would have been different if I had had a general anaesthetic). I took no medicines after the procedure, though was told that if I experienced some post-operation pain ( I did not) that I should take some pain killers.

My urine was back to normal colour within 24 hours, but my semen is still even now slightly coloured.

Ivan

Edited by member 03 Aug 2021 at 19:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2021 at 04:26

Bollinge, yours was a transperineal template biopsy (same as mine), which is substantially different from a modern LATP (local anesthetic trans perineal) which has replaced TRUS (and to a large extent, also replaced the template biopsy you had).

The MRI guided means the surgeon is seeing a fused image from the live ultrasound probe plus a previous MRI scan which shows the suspect areas. (Actually MRI guided doesn't strictly mean using a fused image, could be looking at separate images if they don't have image fusion capability.)

Edited by member 04 Aug 2021 at 04:30  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 16:04
My transperineal biopsy involved me going in in the early morning, ‘nil by mouth’, a load of waiting, then into the theatre and waking up in the recovery room feeling fine about 1.30 pm.

Then back to the ward, where the first two micturitions were like pissing razor blades, but OK thereafter,

There was a junior doctor in charge of the ward, who knew little of urology, and I was fine, ready to go home. He disagreed, so I had to go through the rigmarole of discharging myself, which I don’t think the child doctor had ever encountered before!

I eventually left with a course of the anti-biotic Cephalexin.

They took forty-two samples, and I ended up with a multi-coloured bruise the size of my hand on my perineum, and a cancer diagnosis…

There was the inevitable pink urine later, and strawberry-coloured semen (can’t say if it was strawberry flavour) for a week or two, and that was that, much like my prostatectomy surgery!

Another guy on the ward had had a number of the useless TRUS biopsies, and was in agony after his transperineal, and was in no fit state to go anywhere that day.

Best of luck to your relative!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 03 Aug 2021 at 19:41

I had an MRI guided T.P. biopsy at Addenbrookes on 04/06 and only had a local anaesthetic. The surgeon told me that if the procedure was too painful for me they would stop and arrange another attempt under a general anaesthetic. That was, fortunately, not necessary and though 13 core samples were taken, I found, like you, the procedure was a walk in the park. Sure, I could feel the pressure as the samples were taken but it was not, for me, painful. It may have helped that I had an attractive doctor chatting to me, to take my mind off things, as the surgeon did his stuff. When I got up I did bleed a little from the area where the needle was put in, over my hush puppy shoes in fact ( The staff at the hospital wanted me to keep my shoes and socks on, even though I was stripped naked other than wearing a flimsy gown). So, I suggest you tell your relative to wear easy to clean shoes. My operation was at 2 pm and, unlike Bollinge, I had to undergo no prep (though no doubt that would have been different if I had had a general anaesthetic). I took no medicines after the procedure, though was told that if I experienced some post-operation pain ( I did not) that I should take some pain killers.

My urine was back to normal colour within 24 hours, but my semen is still even now slightly coloured.

Ivan

Edited by member 03 Aug 2021 at 19:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2021 at 04:26

Bollinge, yours was a transperineal template biopsy (same as mine), which is substantially different from a modern LATP (local anesthetic trans perineal) which has replaced TRUS (and to a large extent, also replaced the template biopsy you had).

The MRI guided means the surgeon is seeing a fused image from the live ultrasound probe plus a previous MRI scan which shows the suspect areas. (Actually MRI guided doesn't strictly mean using a fused image, could be looking at separate images if they don't have image fusion capability.)

Edited by member 04 Aug 2021 at 04:30  | Reason: Not specified