I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What to do next

User
Posted 30 Mar 2022 at 08:32

Hello, my name is Terry Groves, I am 80 years old, and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago. At the time I had a PSA of 5 and a Gleason Score of 3+4. Having discussed the treatment options with the urologist I decided to go for active monitoring.

Three years on with the latest PSA reading of 12 I am unsure what to do next. Recent MRI scans, including a full body scan, a bone scan and, more recently a pelvic scan, which showed up „spots“ that could not be identified, have made me feel uneasy. The urologist highlighted three possible treatment options:

1. Radiotherapy

2. Chemotherapy

3. Brachytherapy

However, in discussing each option, he was not convinved that either treatment was appropriate at the moment.

i would appreciate any views of members in a similar situation. Thank you

User
Posted 30 Mar 2022 at 20:37

I think you need a better scan to find out if the "spots" (presumably outside the prostate) are prostate cancer or not. This is a significant factor in choosing what treatment to have. This would be a PSMA PET scan, if you haven't had one already.

It would be unusual for an 80 year old to have chemo, but if you are exceptionally healthy for your age, not completely unheard of. Hormone therapy would be another treatment option, but not curative by itself.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2022 at 23:36

I agree with Andy that a 68 Gallium PSMA may show the location of spots of cancer and depending on what is seen may help with a decision on whether a form of radiation is appropriate or if these are too numerous and or widely dispersed that your situation calls for systemic treatment. In the latter situation, I would have thought that in the UK you would more likely to be offered Hormone Therapy in your case. However, as you were given a Gleason score previously, presumably you had a biopsy of the Prostate from which this was determined, so with no treatment I would have thought it likely that what they found within your Prostate may be largely or even wholly responsible for your increased PSA. Presumably, this is why Brachytherapy or EBRT are possibilities. Definitely, worth a PSMA scan to help you and your Oncologist come to a decision.

Edited by member 30 Mar 2022 at 23:37  | Reason: Not specified

Barry