I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sbrt

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 17:24

Having been diagnosed with locally advanced prostate cancer T3a, 4 months ago and now on prostap, awaiting radiotherapy. I am down for 35 days of treatment. Has anyone been involved with SRBT which is higher dosage over 6 days. The US has a history of this.

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 20:56

It is available here on the NHS but only if the onco believes you are suitable. Your age may rule you out. 

Edited by member 25 Oct 2022 at 20:57  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 21:20

Olstan , an in law of mine had RT and HT. He had 5 sessions of RT, but it may have been part of a trial and, he was about 75. He tolerated it quite well, he does mention frequent visits to urinate.

I had 30 gys over 5 sessions of  SABR treatment a few weeks ago but that was to a single tumor. I had already had surgery 8 years ago and salvage RT 5 years ago. For me I have not noticed any side effects. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 23:01

With you being T3a G9, they may be intending to treat pelvic lymph nodes and seminal vesicles too, as there will be a higher chance of micro metastases there (where the cancer is most likely to go next), and for that, the 2Gy doses would be preferred, which means lots of fractions to make up the required total dose. You could ask if that's the case, and discuss the pros and cons of including pelvic lymph nodes and seminal vesicles too (often at a lower dose).

Another option for your diagnosis might be HDR Boost, where half the treatment is given by external beam radiotherapy (usually including pelvic lymph nodes and seminal vesicles for the same reason), and the dose in the prostate alone is boosted by a single session of HDR Brachytherapy (to a higher level than is possible via external beam). This is only likely to be offered if your hospital has the capability of HDR brachytherapy, but you can choose to be treated anywhere which will accept you, although possibly less convenient.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2022 at 04:34

The shorter option is tempting but possibly not the best choice for locally advanced cancer, at least that's what my oncologist reckons. With G9 and some lymph gland mets, I was given 45 sessions over 66 days. It's painless and slightly challenging but if there's any chance that it's going to make for a longer life, then the extra personal discomfort of longer treatment is insignificant.

Jules