I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rectal Bleed

User
Posted 07 Jul 2023 at 13:18

Good afternoon I was diagnosed with PC December 2021 High Grade so straight onto Hormones then last year 2022 literally around 12months ago. I was given brachytherapy followed by Radiotherapy for 4 and a half weeks.

Apart from the usual tiredness fatigue etc back in February I Had a bleed from my rear this literally put the fear of god in me. I consequently provided a stool sample which proved negative in terms of bowel cancer. They then wanted to give me a flexible sigmoidoscopy which I haven't gone through with yet as feel vulnerable in that region.

So currently I still see blood in my poo and occasionally I see fresh blood when I was myself but not everyday maybe one every 10 days approx.

Does or have anyone gone or going through the same and can offer advice / help.

much appreciated thanks 

Regards Clive

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 02:31

I just spotted this unanswered post. I can't help as I have no experience of this. Though about a year ago I had a random incidence of blood in urine. It turned out to be a one off.

The first thing to say is to not attribute every problem to cancer, piles would be the first guess at a diagnosis if you had not had cancer, and it still is the best guess. Whatever it is, it has been going on for six months, it probably ain't going away so get it checked out.

Dave

User
Posted 09 Jul 2023 at 09:06
It could be piles but the other likely cause of your bleeding is radiation proctitis - both of which are treatable. One way or another, your problem is not going to be solved until you overcome your reluctance and have the camera.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 08:32
I did have a week in Hospital for ruptured Piles because of constipation, if it helps.

Chris.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 20:50

Hi Clive Leak,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, and of your reluctance to have a Sigmoidoscopy.  If it helps, I had a Sigmoidoscopy recently.  The main discomfort was from the gas that they pump into the bowel in order to open up the area, so that they can get a better view and take their samples.  This gave me stomach cramps.  However, once they stopped pumping gas, I was fine after about 10 minutes.

Take good care of yourself.

JedSee.

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 22:56
Hi Clive, I have had 2 Sigmoids in the last year or so, if you read my Profile updates from 13/4/22 you can get an idea of what to expect through the whole process; after the second one I was diagnosed with radiation proctitis with a couple of diverticulae thrown in for good measure! :). I'm losing a fair bit of blood with most bowel movements. Anyway I've started on Sucralfate enema's now to try and improve things .... though its not easy to administer (its DIY with a syringe!). You can have a sedative with the sigmoid, though I didn't either time and, apart from a bit of cramping, I didn't find it painful. Any questions feel free to get in touch! Rgds, Nick.