I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Continence management

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 07:16

Hi, due to have my catheter removed this Thurs. I’ve read all the literature, I was religiously doing pelvic floor exercises before op, I have supplies of pads in. Looking for any real life experiences/tips/hints please 

- what size pads on day 1?

- my catheter night bag fills up completely. How do you manage first few nights? 
- waterproof sheet on bed 

- how many pads a days would you get through ? 

many thanks in advance 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 09:46

Tena Men #3 pads to start in boxers - you will find that you probably don't leak when lying down but might when you roll over or sit up. I had a urinal bottle by the side of the bed (still do) and the technique was to swing my legs off the bed, grab the bottle and drop my penis into it and then stand up. In the early days it is hard to control that initial flow.
A waterproof sheet wouldn't hurt just in case but I haven't had an accidents in 4 months.
3-4 pads a day - not because they are full, just to keep the area clean and dry. Drop your scrotum and penis in the sink and wash with soap and dry thoroughly each time you change a pad to keep it all fresh.
Again, in 4 months, I never filled a pad or had one leak - you will find you have dribbles, not full flow.

Your body is normally pretty good at telling you when you need to go so will likely wake up needing to pee - just like you did before the op.

Edited by member 01 Oct 2023 at 09:50  | Reason: speling

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 09:59

Thank you Steve. That sounds good advice and reassuring.  Where did u get the urine bottle from?

I will look into those tena pads. I have another brand at mo. The ones I have are what I would describe as ‘liners’ (as a lady might wear) rather than full on ‘nappy pants’ that a baby might wear. Am I on the right track? 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 10:43

The urinal bottle can be picked up from any chemist - they aren't expensive. Get the one with the cap if they have one - saves the dog kicking it over in my case LOL

Yes, the pads are liners and vary in thickness based on their number and capacity - but as I said, you will be dribbling rather than an uncontrolled flow so you can switch to thinner ones fairly quickly.
Fortunately the weather is cooling down so they are more comfortable - in hot weather it can get pretty warm down there as they act as an insulator.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 10:45
Should have added, at nightime I wear boxers as they are better at keeping the pad in place - during the day I wear my normal briefs/Y fronts to let things air a bit more.
User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 11:41

Thanks again Steve 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 12:10

Jimjams, make sure you are hydrated before getting to the hospital, far better to leak a bit extra rather than have another catheter fitted because you can't pass the required amount of urine.

I prefer the elasticated short type underwear to keep things in place.take a cover for the car seat and a towel for the journey home. Also useful to get Steve's urine bottle before the journey home, I didn't need them.Urinating in a bottle sat in a car is a challenge,only did it once.

I was initially 99 percent dry 4 days after catheter removal. Unfortunately other treatments ruined my continence.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 12:48

Thanks Chris. Sorry to hear about the other treatments 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 16:08

In my case...

# What size pads

Tena Comfort Mini Super (the one with the 5/8 drops) - these should be available to you under a prescription from your urology dept.

# Night time

I went for the waterproof sheet (because the volume of my night time wee worried me somewhat 😳) but so far (12 weeks on) I've never needed it.

# Pads per day

Initially 5/6 for a week or two, dropping to 3 and at about 9 weeks down to 2 (1 at a push). Pads have so much less in them now than back in July / August.

Perseverance with the pelvic floor exercises is so important.

I found that I was tolerant of the leaks for a few days (well it was expected wasn't it), then I got a bit down about it (it's never going to get any better), then I found I started needing fewer pads. Now I'm impatient to get down to 1 a day and a lighter pad.

Good luck - you'll get there.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 16:21

Thank you Devonjohn. 
I was quite physically active before op - does the leakage prevent going to gym etc ? (Obviously once fully recovered from op) 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 17:35

Steve

Are you you sure you don't  mean you wear briefs at night and nor boxers?

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 21:11

I’m now over 5 months post op and 57. After my catheter was removed I could not as they say hold water and was on around 9 /10 Tena 3 pads a day. At night I also had a ‘nappy’ type pad as an extra precaution but never had an issue at night and stopped using them after 4 weeks. I’ve improved in steps over time 5/6 pads a day then 3/4 and now I’m mostly 1 pad a day albeit still Tena 3  and often quite dry (I’ve a stockpile of them provided courtesy of local NHS). I will probably go down to tena2 on next delivery. I use brief type underwear as much more secure for holding pad. Tomorrow is my 1st venture to the gym after the op so who knows what to expect  -  I no longer leak too much when walking so fingers crossed I won’t be too bad. Good luck and remember everyone is different, patience is key (don’t rush things) and keep squeezing (get Squeezy ap - it’s a godsend otherwise I would forget!) 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 23:03

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thank you Devonjohn. 
I was quite physically active before op - does the leakage prevent going to gym etc ? (Obviously once fully recovered from op) 

I guess it'll be a case of starting carefully and trying each element of your routine to see what works and what is more tricky. The pads enable us to carry on with life to sone degree (allowing for the fact that accidents will happen).

I love walking but found long walks could be problematic at first. Building up distance over time and not stressing too much about "accidents" has helped.

Funnily enough, I was talking to a chap in our village who also had prostate surgery this year. He's a gym regular, and even runs exercise classes professionally. He had relatively few incontinence problems.

All the bestπŸ‘ 

John

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 23:25

I found I could walk 3 miles with the dog without any problem, at the end of the walk when the dog stopped too poo  I leaked. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Oct 2023 at 23:39

I found I could walk 3 miles with the dog without any problem, at the end of the walk when the dog stopped too poo  I leaked. 

Thanks Chris 

Ah yes. Been there, done that. πŸ˜‰

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 05:45

Thank you mgor. I shall get the squeezy app! 

Edited by member 02 Oct 2023 at 05:47  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 05:46

Thanks John - it seems we’re all different and patience is the key 

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 05:47

Reassuring , thank u 

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 10:16

Steve

Are you you sure you don't  mean you wear briefs at night and nor boxers?

No, boxers at night as they hold the pad in place when I move around. Briefs during the day as they are a looser fit and allows a bit more air circulation.
During the hot weather we have had (I live in France) the pads can get a bit stifling and keeping them looser during the day helps. I'm down to an occasional dribble when coughing or sneezing now so most days the pads are clean at the end of the day.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 10:21

How old are you ? I was very lucky at 52 last year as soon as cafeta came out I was dry all night, but not during the day, like you my bag would also fill to bursting point during the night. The classic line everyone is different unfortunately comes up all  the time. I started 1st few weeks with the NHS ones but I hated them far to bulky but good if you leak alot. I went to Tena men and went through the various pad thickness. I don't need a pad at all now some times I get a little dribble that makes me panic but doesn't come through my trousers. Pelvic floor exercises and later when things have healed I did core exercises that really helped me get dry. But all depends how fit you are to do the  more vigorous exercises. Also check with the physio first to make sure your up to it. Good luck with your recovery. Greg

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 10:27

Just a short note if you don't want to pay for a expensive wee bottle, use a washed out comfort bottle it has a wide opening and a secure lid it's what all us lorry drivers use when stuck in traffic.  

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 10:29

Thank you Greg. I am 64 but like to think in fairly good shape. I’ve exercised/played sport all my life and for years have been going to gym pretty much everyday. Something like 18000 steps a day walking my dog on top of gym, so I hope I got myself into best shape I could. 
where did u get the nhs pads from? Literature I’ve read indicates not available on nhs? 

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 12:09

...use a washed out comfort bottle.... 

Great tip, the aptly named Comfort bottle πŸ˜‰

User
Posted 02 Oct 2023 at 12:14

where did u get the nhs pads from? Literature I’ve read indicates not available on nhs? 

It seems a lot depends on where you live and which health authority you come under. I'm working through a supply of Tena Super (5/8) which have done the job that were prescribed by the Urology CNS.