Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A place to have a chat.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 14:03

Welcome.🙂

This is a place where anyone can join in and discuss anything they wish. If you just fancy a natter or to discuss life in general, tag along.

Hi folks.

I'm relatively new here, a young whippersnapper.

I adore the site, however, I thought it might be nice to have a place where people could just pop in for a chat.

Perhaps a place like that already exists, or may be it's been tried and failed.

It seems to me if you want to ask a poster how they are doing, for instance. It can only be done by PM or on their journey tread, if they've got one. If we had a place to meet, a bit like a cafe or pub, we could talk like 'normal people' without having to be in a conversation about specific prostate cancer issues. Invariably, cancer would still be the main discussion point, but it would be much less formal.

I put in a feedback request asking for the introduction of such a place, and it seemed to be viewed favourably, but I've not heard anymore.

I quite like the pub idea, perhaps we could call it The Prostate (h)Arms. A place where you could click into and relax. Of course, all the forums guidelines, regarding content and expected behaviour, would still have to be complied with.

It would only take up a miniscule amount of site space, but I think it could be beneficial to many.

Any views

Edited by member 27 Apr 2024 at 10:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 12:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I would never consider going to a support group.

Well, chatting is the main purpose of local peer support groups.

Exactly what any one group does varies enormously, and you choose which activities you're interested in or not. This tends to change depending where you are in your treatment pathway or post-treatment. Before and during initial treatments, you are likely absorbing support experiences from the group. Some time after diagnosis and initial treatment, you may find you can usefully support newer members who have just been diagnosed based on your experiences and what you've learned along the way.

All do chatting.
Some also have WhatsApp and/or Facebook private groups for online chatting.
Some offer 1-2-1 support.
Some do presentations by clinicians.
Some do presentations which are nothing to do with prostate cancer, e.g. maybe local interest.
Some do pub evenings, coffee mornings, etc.
Some do walks (talk and walk).
Some offer exercise classes, complimentary therapies (massage, aromatherapy, acupuncture, meditation, etc).
Some do awareness events where you advise the public on getting checked.
Some run PSA testing events for the public.
Some are specific to some activity like cycling.
Some are specific for LGBTQ+, or black men, etc.
Some hospital ones are specific for their own patients (while other hospital ones are open to other patients).
Some are patients-only (particularly some hospital run ones), while others welcome partners and carers too.
Some are for partners only, and not the patient.
Some do fundraising for prostate cancer charities, or to buy equipment for their local hospital.

Everyone who comes along for an initial chat after being diagnosed says how wonderful the experience was, and they wish they'd come along earlier. We will usually chat with a new patient for typically 60-90 mins when they first approach us, which no clinician has time to do. We can go through things they should be considering, and what to ask their clinicians.

Also there are national and international support groups on Facebook, dedicated forums, or Zoom.
Some UK ones are specific to a particular treatment, such as Active Surveillance, Brachytherapy, or Advanced Prostate Cancer. (International groups will discuss protocols and treatments not available or applicable in the UK, because these are different in every country.)

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 13:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 14:03

Welcome.🙂

This is a place where anyone can join in and discuss anything they wish. If you just fancy a natter or to discuss life in general, tag along.

Hi folks.

I'm relatively new here, a young whippersnapper.

I adore the site, however, I thought it might be nice to have a place where people could just pop in for a chat.

Perhaps a place like that already exists, or may be it's been tried and failed.

It seems to me if you want to ask a poster how they are doing, for instance. It can only be done by PM or on their journey tread, if they've got one. If we had a place to meet, a bit like a cafe or pub, we could talk like 'normal people' without having to be in a conversation about specific prostate cancer issues. Invariably, cancer would still be the main discussion point, but it would be much less formal.

I put in a feedback request asking for the introduction of such a place, and it seemed to be viewed favourably, but I've not heard anymore.

I quite like the pub idea, perhaps we could call it The Prostate (h)Arms. A place where you could click into and relax. Of course, all the forums guidelines, regarding content and expected behaviour, would still have to be complied with.

It would only take up a miniscule amount of site space, but I think it could be beneficial to many.

Any views

Edited by member 27 Apr 2024 at 10:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:37

Adrian

It is a very good idea to meet face to face for a coffee but difficult to organise. The only way one can do is to let people here know where you live and suggest a meeting place and see if there are some who are within a short driving distance, say 10/15 miles, of mutually convenient spot. In earlier days following my surgery, a face to face meeting with other men would have been useful. Most of the meeting groups are too far from where we live. Of course it is up to the administrator of this site whether he/she will allow us to reveal  postcodes so that a meeting can take place.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 22:12

Well I agree with fate being amazing.

The girl upstairs

Cast your mind back to 1978 for those of you who are as old as me >>>>> 💭. Thats supposed to be a dream!

I had met my future wife briefly  before we were together as we had mutual friends. I had no idea that she was moving in to the flat above mine and was surprised when I came back from work quite late one night ( I worked shifts in a childrens home then ) and heard her call out ' would you like to come up for a cup of tea'. Well I NEVER drink tea and had just been to the pub to get a couple of beers to have and relax with some music before going to bed.  As I did not want to be  rude I went upstairs and told her that I didn't like tea but would she like to share a beer with me. To my surprise she immediately said yes and rushed to get some glasses out. TBH I was a bit p****d off as I thought I was now going to be a bit short of beer😆.  I was, as she had at least half of it  😅. I actually thought it was great that she drank beer and we had a great evening together .So much so that within 2 weeks we were sharing my flat downstairs as it was much bigger than hers . We married in 82 and have been together ever since. Had some rough times mind you but who doesn't.

Come on you lot  there must be more stories worth sharing.

Jackson AKA Martin . There is a story behind that as well!! I will leave you in suspense!

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:39

On this site, under ' Topic Areas', there is an area called 'General Discussion'  ("including anything 'off topic'").

Hi.

I posted this conversation in the general discussion area. However, I can't see anywhere in that topic area that provides the sort of chat area that I'm requesting. I fully appreciate that this site is dedicated to prostate cancer issues but surely a very tiny area put aside for people who are dealing with the disease to have natter without having to respond to specific prostate cancer issues can't be a bad thing?

Prostate cancer will probably still be main talking point but it can be more informally discussed rather than having to fit a specific conversation theme.

It seems to me that that there is a nucleus of regulars here but there's not even a place for them to discuss with each other how the are getting on, unless you resort to private messaging or asking them on their own specific journey conversations. The sort of area, I'd like is where we can support each other but without being confined to specific threads. It might also be a more relaxed place for newcomers to dip their toes in the water?

Edited by member 18 Feb 2024 at 22:08  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 11:24

Adrian, I think it’s a good idea. Sometimes you need to chat about normal life, like your hols or something. As you say like being down the Pub. (Hopefully not collapsing in one as I did last week 🤣) .

I do tend to ramble on in my posts about other stuff so I suppose I’m doing that a bit already. 

Decho, Maggies sounds really great but none anywhere near me. I might look up McMillan opportunities as my counselling took place in their offices and they were so friendly. I went to a hospital arranged meet up which was good but it turned out 90% of the guys were way older than me and were not G9s and their PCa was mostly under control so I didn’t feel like I was really part of it 🤷‍♂️. 

Cheers

Phil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 17:53
I think it’s a great idea…but then I’m happy chatting!….but you’re right Adrian, when responding on here, it is usually in response to a question someone has posed or request for experience etc.

I wonder if there could be a new clickable tab set up, with a description at the top of the page/thread for anyone clicking onto it..,that it is a ‘social chat room’ and the purpose, then anyone who’s not into that can avoid? (Admins?…is that possible?)

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 19:50

I wonder if there could be a new clickable tab set up, with a description at the top of the page/thread for anyone clicking onto it..,that it is a ‘social chat room’ and the purpose, then anyone who’s not into that can avoid? (Admins?…is that possible?)

That's exactly what I've been trying to explain. Thank you putting it much more clearly than I've done. 👍🙂

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 11:29

Need a name for this pub now then.

Proctologists Arms?

Hand 'N' Glove?

Proctologists finger?

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 12:52

Is it just the two of us sitting in the PC Arms ?

Hello lads!

My weekend was largely spent getting stuff done in the garden. Gave the lawn its first cut of the year, and planted two new trees. Always fancied a Peach Tree so we now have one in prime position in the middle of the lawn. After that lot, and a couple of hours clearing out the horses stable, my back is buggered today 😂

The rugby was promising for the first 10 minutes, then went downhill rapidly........

Life is pretty good at the minute, although I expect to start getting twitchy again over the next couple of weeks, as my next PSA test looms on March 19th.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 13:01

Hi Harty. Glad you had a nice day being busy 👍. 

Always nervous before a result….. 😳😬. 

See my consultant tomorrow after a rise in PSA and cancer growth last time … Don’t suppose we’ll ever get used to that wait. 

I need to cut my grass soon as it’s about a foot high. Hoping it stays dry for a couple of days… 

Phil

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 16:46

Can you imagine me at 15 in my tonic suit, Ben Sherman, red socks and Loake Royals ‘Sharking’ down Southend seafront. 😂

I think I probably met you! 😂

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 18:04

We're off to Jersey for our anniversary in April, looking forward to it.

Have a great time . If you’ve not been and need any tips on where to eat etc let me know. I think we’ve been everywhere by now 🤦‍♀️. One tip I’ll say is book early for eating out as everyone eats out over there and they get booked up early.

Phil

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 10:36

Regarding the retirement chat: I was 62 when is was diagnosed and was in a bad place for a while and probable not 100% on it at work although everyone was great and they allowed me to leave early for my RT everyday. I have worked as a consultant/agency since 1978 and always thought i’d created enough little ‘secret ways’ that I was indispensable. Ha ha , what a laugh. Our boss came over from Germany and told us all we were safe and then 1 day later my English boss called me in and gave me 10 days notice. I was the oldest and with the cancer he thought i’d be the first to go anyway. Bit of a blow as I wasn’t ready, mentally or financially. We had a big house (too big after the kids left) and a rental property but I couldn’t really sustain the big house without a reasonable income. So we decided to sell up and move to the rental , which was only a 100m away anyway. Been here a couple of years and wished we’d done it earlier. The new house is much newer and smaller and so easy to live in. We bought a new place to rent out for an income as being Ltd company all my working life my pension wasn’t up to much. 

In retrospect I’m happy with how its worked out , although my wife went back to her old job part time as they conveniently asked her back. I don’t know how I did stuff whilst working full time.

With careful planning we can still have nice holidays and days out etc.  We do consider ourselves lucky in that regard. But I still worry about when I’m gone and my wife has to mange on her own without my state pension etc. So its a juggling act really between enjoying life now and making sure I leave enough behind.

So, if you are in any position to retire I would do it. I did love my job and miss the chaps and the coffee ! …. But its like a new stage of life being retired and I do still catch up with some of the guys. And as we all find out there’s only so many days in a life and we need to use them as best we can.

So got some jobs to do now. Shame the suns not out , bit miserable here, but at least its not raining.

Take care guys, ( AV 0 Spurs 4 😜)

Phil

Edited by member 11 Mar 2024 at 18:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 18:35

Well it's a small world.. I too went for a PSA test today. 

I usually phone the Macmillan nurse for my results. I leave a message and they phone back the next day if they're not too busy. 

As for a beer... Good idea!

Cheers,

Kev.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 14:45

This thread is becoming, the Adrian, Phil, Ian, kev and Jackson show. They'll nickname us the Jackson Five.🤣

I hope more people join in. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 15:11

Lovely story, we took her on a med cruise after GCSEs when she was 16 and she met a boy on the ship from Portsmouth, we got on really well with his family…so they kept in touch and visits were arranged, then two years later she went to Guildford uni (only an hour away from him) five years later they bought a house in Portsmouth, got married December 21 and had baby six months ago….they are both 30 this year and we are all cruising again (his parents too) to celebrate!

That is so lovely… isn’t fate amazing  🥰 

I met my missus in a Pub with her friend. They’d decided they should go out one night but was their first time in a pub on their own. I had called my mate that night as I was bored ( just got back from working in Germany) and we went to that same pub. Soon as I walked in I was OMG I have to get over to that lovely shy girl but my mate was a bit useless 🤦‍♀️.  Dragged him over eventually and after chatting found out they were only 15 ( nearly 16! ) 😳… And I was just turned 24… Turned out they both lived on Canvey like us so offered them a lift home. As we walked outside to get in my car the girls went to get in an old Morris 1000 next to mine. I said this is my car - I had a brand new Capri in white with brown tints and AllyCat wheels. Turns out my girl had told her friend that one day she’d have a boyfriend with a white Capri. 🤷‍♂️. Still together after all these years and with a few people saying it wouldn’t last. 

Phil

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:07

Hi Adrian,

On this site, under ' Topic Areas', there is an area called 'General Discussion'  ("including anything 'off topic'"). 

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you had in mind?

However, it doesn't seem to be well-used, so keeping a conversation thread 'alive' might be difficult - but it might be worth a try.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:17

Hi mate

I think it’s a great idea. It would be a good way for those that wanted to, to keep in touch without needing to post an update on results, or respond to a particular question. We’re all in this together, so we may as well share a joke or two, or just bemoan the latest rugby scores….

I hope it takes off!

Ian.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:31

Hi Adrian. When I first posted on here I was very, very reticence about sharing personal stuff. But I saw a thread by a guy who just wanted to vent to relieve his anger and I think it helped him to write it down and for someone to listen. He had been abused as a child, like myself and without him telling us we couldn’t have known him so well and understood his feelings. So don’t be afraid to speak your mind or share your feelings on here. 

So I bit the bullet and didn’t hide it anymore or the fact I was fostered . That awakening happened in my personal life at the same time.

I know it upsets some people and some just don’t want to hear. That’s ok , I get that , but it’s who I am. I am not ashamed or embarrassed anymore by it. That came about by meeting the lovely people on here and at the same time starting counselling. I’m so grateful to everyone. 

I find it amazingly uplifting to be able to talk about ANYTHING on here. No judgement, everyone is so understanding. 
So, let’s have a Pub Thread or threads where we can ramble on about ‘normal’ life  🤣🤣

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:57

It is a very good idea to meet face to face for a coffee but difficult to organise. 

Hello mate.

I haven't been very clear and caused a bit of confusion. As nice as it might be, I don't mean a face to face meeting in an actual cafe or pub. What I'm suggesting is a place/area on this site to have a general natter, like you would do in a cafe or pub.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 14:04

Hi Derek,

I would never consider going to a support group. Like VED pumps they're not for me. 

I love this place, you can do it in your dressing gown and slippers. I just feel its missing something?

I feel like I'm doing a lousy pitch on Dragon's Den and they're all saying "I'm out" 😂

Adrian, For 9 months I said Maggies was not for me and then my wife cajoled me into going along…and I’ve never looked back. I would say 80% of the men in our group would say the same. I agree though that it’s not for everyone and some men don’t come back.
I think though I maybe misunderstood your post…I think you were talking about an ePub or eCafe not a physical pub which would be difficult to organise I think. This forum is a wonderful but there’s nothing better than real face to face contact and a hug from a fellow sufferer.🤗
Last year I made very good friends with another member on here and we even met up on holiday…it was so uplifting for both us and we talk regularly on WhatsApp, not just about cancer and treatment, but about our families and everything and anything😊

Derek

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 15:24

it was so uplifting for both us and we talk regularly on WhatsApp,

Now there's a thought Adrian. Maybe if the space on here doesn't work out, then a WhatsApp group might be the answer?

Bottoms up?...

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 15:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 09:28

Still not sleeping then eh pal?

A 5 minute telephone call with a locum is a bit disappointing, especially when they haven't even bothered to get your notes in front of them.

When you said you'd been spreading rock salt, I thought you were getting ready for the big snowfall the BBC keep banging on about. As it was 17 Deg here yesterday, I am inclined to think they may have got it wrong again 😂

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 13:29

I appreciate that Andy. My brother is a member of a local support group, but they are not my cup of tea. I'm lucky and as yet haven't needed face to face support. I have however found this forum very supportive. You can pop in whenever you want and someone will invariably help you. They are many people who are particularly knowledgeable, including your good self and who've been a great help to me.

All I want here, is an forever open, 'sticky' conversation. where any posters, regulars or newbies could have a general chat. I can't explain it any better. I was a member of the Martin Lewis moneysavingexpert site, before he became a TV super star. He had over a hundred topic areas on particular financial matters.  But he also had one specific open thread for people to have a general chat about financial affairs. Which was well used. Like that site we have hundreds of conversations on specific cancer issues but not a place to have a chat about life in general.

I've seen so many threads on here, usually late at night or in the early hours, that are started by newcomers and never get replied to and unless you bump them they are lost in cyber space. If they were posted in the always open general chat conversation area, they would get responded to. It would also be a good place for regulars who work hard and put a lot of effort into helping people, to relax a bit and chill out. To discuss life in general rather than having to respond to specific cancer issues. Such an area may not be workable, it may not get used, but I think it would be good idea to give it a go.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 20:39  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 18:33

Only if people don't use it; hopefully they will...

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 19:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 21:46
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Nick,

Is it this week you're seeing your surgeon?

Hi Adrian, yes, it was yesterday thank you for asking 😀 (you have a good memory!).

It was all okay -ish! I thought I'd been told to choose between RALP or HT and  RT.

I'd weighed things up and I chose RALP, but...

When I saw the Surgeon he told me I was too porky for RALP and that, and other health issues (heart attack 12 years ago and pulmonary embolism a year ago), also meant that HT & RT was the way to go. So he's started the ball rolling for the HT. 

It's not a massive problem to me, and I do trust him, but I had sort of got my head around the side effects to be expected from prostatectomy, rather than the ones from HT/RT. I also liked the idea that the PSA tests would be reassuringly low if my prostate was gone.

Thinking back, the person who told me my results and itemised the choices, did mention that BMI would be an issue, but I thought that was in relation to Brachytherapy as that was the last treatment type she'd mentioned.

Anyway, I am pleased that Dennis (my cancer - named after a particularly nasty tw*t I had the misfortune to meet at school (with apologies to any other Dennises on here)), is T2 N0 M0.

So onwards and upwards!!

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 21:49  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 00:07
I don't think my brother would cheat
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 08:02

Proctologists Arms?

Hand 'N' Glove?

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 11:53

I shall be watching the rugby, armed with a few cold ones! Not too sure how the Calcutta Cup is going to go this year mind.....

I could do with giving the garden some attention, but with all this bloody rain it is way too waterlogged to get out there really. Other than that I will be shovelling some s**t at the stables, which seems to have become my job at weekends when I am available. Add in a couple of dog walks and that is about it!

That's about as exciting as my weekends get these days 😂

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 12:53

Hello mate

I think the Scots might do it, unless we up our game from the last couple of narrow scrapes!

Just the one horse thankfully. My wife rides her, but I get to muck out the stable at weekends. To be fair, I quite enjoy being up there. Great for de-stressing after a week at work. In fact, after a week dealing with idiots, I am happy to just be around my labrador, my horse and my grandkids.

I can barely remember the days when I still needed to visit the barber! but yes, that was an amusing question at the end of the trim. Perhaps a French Tickler if it was a special weekend 😬

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 16:06

Hi,

Nothing too thrilling for me this weekend. Glad to report that my issues with having the "trots" immediately following the end of my RT appear to have subsided (for now). I'm now back out walking the dogs up and down the hill. I'll be driving down to Lincoln tomorrow to pick up son no 1 from Uni, he's coming home for his "reading week". Then in the afternoon, I'll be keeping tabs on the mighty Bantams who are playing away at Barrow, hoping for a rare win. Then it'll be my Saturday night curry with some beers whilst watching the Saturday evening footy on telly. Unfortunately, I find rugby a hard watch, I really want to England to win but I expect Scotland will (England more likely to win if I don't watch than if I do). The scoring in rugby does my head in with seemingly easy 3 points being given for the slightest of errors (errors that non-players don't understand), for me rugby would be better if there was more emphasis on scoring tries. 

I really envy you having a grandson playing footy, I would absolutely love that. Unfortunately, I couldn't get either of my two boys interested in football, playing or watching. Instead, they became swimmers and I lost countless hours of my life at swimming pools for their training and racing, including early mornings - nightmare! (advice for any new dads or grandads, be careful when you take the kids for swim, get them to swim yes, but too much and you might end up living there). 

All the ground saturated and boggy around here too. It'll be a couple of weeks before I dust off the old lawn moor and loppers.

Have a good weekend

Spongebob.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 22:57

Flown out to Jersey with our youngest son and missus and MiL for our oldest boy and missus first child’s christening on Sunday (they live here). Our first Grandchild 😁
Had a lovely meal in the hotel tonight. Busy day meeting up with relatives and friends tomorrow then christening Sunday then back home. 
Might miss the Rugby … 

Keep busy guys 👍 Enjoy every day.

Phil

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 09:34

Flown out to Jersey with our youngest son and missus and MiL for our oldest boy and missus first child’s christening on Sunday (they live here). Our first Grandchild 😁

Awww that's lovely Phil. Have a great time mate. 👍🙂

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 17:00

Full English this morning at the hotel, with family and Friends joined us. Then to Sons to see grandson, then to his In Laws for lunch with more family. Back to Hotel via lovely garden Centre. Another meal out tonight. 
I’ll need a rest after this….. 

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 11:49

Sounds like a great day Adrian. Every single day is special isn’t it as we know we only get so I many days in our lives. Make the most of them all. 

Phil

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 12:44

Ey up Phil! Great to see you.

Are you back home? How did the Christening go?

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 12:57

Christening was lovely thank you. In a little Church that the in laws go to then to The Royal Jersey Golf Club for a sit down meal. Lots of chatting and a couple of bevvies as I wasn’t driving 😁 , then off to the airport. 1 hour delay plus heavy rain on the way home from Gatwick meant we HAD to call in KFC for some sustenance at 11pm…  Only tastes that good when you’re starving. 🤣

Wonder there’s some way to have photo share thing on the forum? Could be time limited - like maybe a couple of days. 

Phil

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 13:48

That's quality mate!

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 16:08

Cheers buddy.

I love her.  The one good thing about this disease, is that instead of always putting others first, I've actually started to treat myself for a change.

Good for you 👍

Phil

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 07:59

Monday nights are always quiet in the pub mate, you know that! I was just thinking about getting up for the day when you were in here 😬.

Lovely sunrise this morning, but then the weatherman tells me its going to rain again, just for a change..... Have a good day pal.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 09:30

Yes Mondays always quiet in the pub game. I worked in Pubs from age 8 as pot boy then behind the bar from 14 up to nearly 17 when i worked in the Pub part of the famous, now gone ‘Gold Mine Night Club’ on Canvey Island. Much better money than milk rounds/paper delivery which i tried as well. Used to get gardening jobs from the locals in the pub as well so was a good little earner. Bought all my own clothes as a kid from that money. Can you imagine me at 15 in my tonic suit, Ben Sherman, red socks and Loake Royals ‘Sharking’ down Southend seafront. 😂Thought i was the Dogs … 🤦. Great time though.😎. Although I don't think it helped much with the CSE revision as i messed all my exams up and had to resit Maths, English and Physics alongside my engineering course at college. Ooops.

Adrian, what did all the sheep do when you went home ? 🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑. Did they have a good night ? Sounds like it if you were still there at 4am…… been to a few nightclubs like that 😜

Bit jittery this morning, appointment not till 4. Trying to prepare myself but my mind wont settle on one thing it keeps flitting about…. Gonna try some Kalms in a minute , they might help.

Cheers guys, take care and have a nice day. 

Phil

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 10:11

Bit jittery this morning, appointment not till 4.

I bet you are mate. I hate afternoon appointments. No matter what the news, I'd rather know in the morning than hanging about all day.

I remember tonics and Ben Shermans and Crombies. Or have I got that mixed up with Skinhead outfits? At that time, although a northerner, I supported Chelsea and I'm pretty sure I had a Chelsea badge on the breast pocket of my Crombie. Having said that, I've never really been a dedicated follower of fashion.

I was thinking Phil, please don't let this 'pub chat area' detract from your own journey thread. They're are so many of your pals on there who are following you. You're a very popular guy.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 10:31

Bit jittery this morning, appointment not till 4. Trying to prepare myself but my mind wont settle on one thing it keeps flitting about…. Gonna try some Kalms in a minute , they might help.

Good luck later Phil, I hope it goes well mate.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2024 at 10:54

I like this thread as we can chat about anything , doesn’t have to be PCa related. Sometimes I just need a ramble… It’s such a good idea. We still need a name for the Pub. 

I will, of course keep my old thread up to date …. Once I have my news from later.. 

My little brother and I were fostered when I was 13 and we moved to Southend and started going to the Friday evening games. Was always a full house. Now a Tottenham supporter for my sins. 

I think I would have been called a Mod or Casual as I didn’t have the shaved head but more of the later Paul Weller look. Smarter dress than pure skinhead although my girlfriend was a proper skinhead with shaved hair at the back.
Southend was great then , lots of greasers around but I never got involved in any aggro. I used to wear my red socks and Loakes to school and the head would check my socks everyday after assembly and send me home to change to black socks. So I always took spares so I didn’t have to go home … 

Thanks guys for your good wishes 👍 I’ll keep you posted . 

Phil

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 16:39

I think I probably met you! 😂

That is so funny Lyn 🤣. Could well have done … 

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 18:00

Lyn. If this was a real pub what would be your tipple? We do not do mugs of tea or coffee. 🙂

Well if you’d asked me a couple of weeks ago I’d have said some dark beer or stout. But I went out with my mates to a microbrewery and had a couple of pints of Black Bess Stout and promptly came over all weird. Said to my mates I don’t feel too good phone my wife and passed out on the table . I came round and they’d phoned an ambulance as well. But I decided to go home with the missus but I couldn’t walk so they carried me to her car. I had proper gone out as I’d pooed and wet myself. Was fine the next day 🤷‍♂️…. Wasn’t drunk at all
Very embarrassed to phone my mates the next day to apologise… but they were really nice. 

We've arranged a lunch next time with coffee … 🤣🤣 🤷‍♂️

So, dark beers are out, especially unknown ones in a little brewery… 

So I would probably have a scotch or Irish Whisky… 😁

I had 4 Glenmorange in the Hotel on Jersey last week and it was really nice… bloody expensive but nice… 

Cheers, bottoms up ,

Phil

Hey Phil.

I wouldn't rule out a Mickey Finn..

We're off to Jersey for our anniversary in April, looking forward to it. (Not dodgy beer of course)

Kev.

Edited by member 28 Feb 2024 at 18:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 18:10

Not been to Jersey before, flew over it a few times though. We've booked an airbnb in St Helier. 

That's a good tip about booking restaurants.

Cheers. 

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 18:22

I wouldn't rule out a Mickey Finn..

Who would do that to an old git 🤣 There were only about 6 people in the whole place as well  …

Maybe the barman thought he’d have a laugh 😳.

Could have been dodgy beer though although I’d only had 1 1/2 pints…. 

Phil

As long as you were still wearing your trousers and underpants. 

🤣🤣

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 18:58

Lyn has frequently posted that she is teetotal.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 19:14

Lyn. If this was a real pub what would be your tipple? We do not do mugs of tea or coffee. 🙂

I might have a glass of coke - full fat version, not of that Zero stuff. After that, I would be persuading the bar staff to get the kettle out from under the counter. I always have a handful of teabags in my bag just in case of crisis. I wouldn't worry too much though as I will spend a lot of time outside; I hope we are going to have a decent smoking area at the Proctologist's Finger? 

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 19:26

Just to change the subject, I really thought I had managed to avoid moobs during my six months on Bical. Clearly M&S think otherwise. I got the email from them today:

"Dear Chris,
We hope that you are keeping well.

It has been 6 months since we last saw you for your bra fit, did you know that it is recommended to have a bra fit every 6-12 months?

Breast sizes can change regularly throughout the year, and we would love to invite you back into store or via our online service (where you don’t even have to leave your home) to check that your bra is still right for you. We can also show you some of our amazing new collection.

Please click the link below and book your appointment now: "😡

That's the last time I'm doing the online order for the wife.

As for this virtual pub name, how about The Wonky Walnut?

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 19:54

Lyn has frequently posted that she is teetotal.

No problems, I love a challenge. 😂

User
Posted 28 Feb 2024 at 20:19

Just to change the subject, I really thought I had managed to avoid moobs during my six months on Bical. Clearly M&S think otherwise. I got the email from them today:

"Dear Chris,
We hope that you are keeping well.

It has been 6 months since we last saw you for your bra fit, did you know that it is recommended to have a bra fit every 6-12 months?

Breast sizes can change regularly throughout the year, and we would love to invite you back into store or via our online service (where you don’t even have to leave your home) to check that your bra is still right for you. We can also show you some of our amazing new collection.

Please click the link below and book your appointment now: "😡

That's the last time I'm doing the online order for the wife.

🤣🤣🤣

User
Posted 29 Feb 2024 at 22:10

At this time of night it’s a nice Glenrothes malt for me😊
26 miles on the ebike today exploring the volcanos around Corralejo in Fuerteventura…a bit windy but lovely and sunny! I think I deserve a little treat😉

Thank God they don’t have a Weatherspoons over here🤣🤣🤣

User
Posted 01 Mar 2024 at 21:32

Hi Guys

I saw this thread and decided to join in as it is a really good idea. When you realise on all the posts that there is so much knowledge and I guess angst as well I think it is really important that we can all chat and hopefully have a bit of a laugh as well. I worked in mental health for years and despite what people say about men not wanting to talk about their problems I never found that the case. For some it maybe true but I think it is not true of most men. Loads of them opened up to me about their problems... however the ones that didn't did not do so well!!

I know that sometimes I can be a bit aloof and keep things tight to myself... but its not always a good thing to do.  I really believe some find it more difficult to talk to women about their problems. I have never found that myself and probably the opposite. We are all different... thank goodness!!  My lovely wife is so supportive but sometimes I do find it hard to tell her what I really am feeling. 

The idea of a virtual pub/ cafe or whatever is good. We should keep this going and by the looks of it we will. Good luck to you all. We need it! Just going to pour a pint now. Imagine an emoji.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 16:52
Grandson's team won 2-0. He plays in goal so it's cost me another fiver for keeping a clean sheet. 🙂

Brilliant!….and if he doesn’t become a footballer…he could work in finance!!

User
Posted 02 Mar 2024 at 21:55

Adrian, It was only a wineglass full, but I have been judged, I've had D & V all day today and my other half is claiming this as another victory in her war against me drinking. (She is weird, she doesn't like the taste!!)

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 17:59

😆

Edited by member 03 Mar 2024 at 18:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 22:34

Got to be a cider for me, preferably Stowford Press.

Can say that I've been to many football games in my life. However, I am running an indoor rowing competition between 126 children from 8 primary schools in the morning!

Pass the ear defenders please! 🤣

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 12:54

"I'll have a pint of Stella and a whisky chaser, please barman!" 

Blimey mate , doesn’t sound like your day 🤦‍♀️.

You probably need more than a Stella and chaser… 🤣

Ask the barman , he’ll know what could help …. 🤪

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 12:58

Got to be a cider for me, preferably Stowford Press.

Uh can’t do Cider. Although I worked in pubs from 8 years old and saw it all I still managed to get hammered on cider at 13 and I’ve never been able to stomache it since….  

Like dark Ale or stout, or if not wine or scotch/whiskey…. Problem is can’t hold the volume when on pints now 🤷‍♂️.. 

Phil

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 13:34

I remember when I was fourteen, drinking a bottle of QC sherry before going to the youth club disco, and throwing up on the dance floor.
I bet you was embarrassed 🤪

When I was 14 I went to a party at a girls I knew . I knew she fancied me but I still asked her sister out and she knocked me back so I went in the kitchen and got totally smashed. Her mum did everything to stop me … I don’t know how I got home walking along the sea wall at 2 in the morning 🤦‍♀️. I did amazingly still stay friends with the girl and we had a few nights out when we were 16 🤷‍♂️…. 
😬…. 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 00:23

Good one! 🤣

The competition went well. Other than for one of the schools, that couldn't come because a load of ceilings had collapsed due to flooding leading to the school being closed!😱

For those of you who might know concept 2 ergs, the fastest today was 532m in 2 minutes. Pretty incredible for a year 6 girl! (Or boy or any combination 😂)

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 08:24

I'm a great believer in sport, especially team sports, being good for youngsters.

I think getting kids involved in sport is great for their development. My 3 sons all played Rugby, and I got involved in coaching and then refereeing, so it was a pastime we were all involved in. We had family season tickets at Northampton Saints for years.

I think the camaraderie and team building that Rugby instilled in them was instrumental in their development into well rounded, responsible and hard working (I may be biased) young men. True to form with Rugby, they would go out and spend 80 minutes trying to hammer the opposition, just to get together with them in the clubhouse afterwards and enjoy the social aspect of the game (this got more interesting as they got older 😂)

Any sport or team based activity for youngsters, is far more beneficial than a computer game or TV in my humble opinion! 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 09:03

We had family season tickets at Northampton Saints for years

Been to Saints many times as our friends were shareholders ( I think it was to raise money for the club) and we ate in the little members clubhouse sometimes. 
I'm a football supporter really but loved the way you could sit with opposing supporters. Was there once when I think it was the Bath or Exeter manager climbed into the seats to sort some one out .. 🤣

And my mate said Rugby was for intelligent people and football was for thugs … 🤷‍♂️

Must say though the language at football can be fruity, especially at non league which is my occasional Saturday jaunt as it’s more local than the drag up to see Spurs. 

Phil

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 11:26

And my mate said Rugby was for intelligent people and football was for thugs … 🤷‍♂️

The funniest comparison I have ever seen, was when they banned alcohol sales at football grounds because of crowd violence, then I was at the bar at Twickenham and saw a sign on the wall saying "no more than 6 pints to be served to one single person at a time" 😂

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 11:29

Completely off track, I know you're a keen gardener, and I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that a robin has just started making a nest in a conifer about 3 yards from my kitchen window.

That's nice Adrian. We have a Robin nesting somewhere in the garden, and as of this year a Wren has taken up residence! We had a Woodpecker visiting daily last year, but no sign so far this year. Must have got bored with our peanut supply......

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 21:48

Yes, trying to stay upbeat- fake it till you make it!

Yes the primary schools still do competitive sports- netball, football, tag rugby, all sorts.  There aren't many like me doing indoor rowing in primary schools. It seems to be more of a secondary thing - probably because British Rowing don't approve!  I noticed the National junior indoor rowing championship results from last week were online today. That y6 girl I trained who got 531m in 2 mins would have beaten all the y7 girls in a much larger competition!

Robins have been mentioned - doing Forest school with y1 and Y2 yesterday, with several robins keeping watch, waiting for the kids to dig up some worms. Lovely birds, great song!

In a previous Forest school session we were all sat around our base camp, discussing something, when the local robin decided to get a bit territorial. After flying on and off the overhead branches I've tied up to support a tarp in the rain, it eventually got so peeved that it took a s*** on the head of another member of staff! 🤣🤣

Can't say I really get on with football - sorry! Just seems to be overpaid foreigners playing in the sport nowadays.

Edited by member 06 Mar 2024 at 22:15  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 22:53

I was very fortunate and was in a position to retire early with a decent occupational pension. So I've never had to suffer the disease whilst working. My four kids are aged between 35 and 45 and are all settled in their own places. So I've got very few 'family commitments' apart from amusing my two grandkids who live nearby.

However, after my dad died, in 2017, we moved my then 93 year old, mum in with us. We cared for her until a year ago, when due to her health declining, we had to move her into a nearby care home. I found those 6 years, more exhausting and taxing, than both my careers.

I've often said on here,  that I truly admire how, younger blokes with younger families and work commitments, cope with this disease. Especially those with a poor prognosis. My heart goes out to them.

If I was in their position I'm sure I'd struggle.

Edited by member 06 Mar 2024 at 23:07  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 23:57
If you are enjoying your job carry on, if are not jack it in.

I would imagine teaching is something that could be very rewarding and you may even get to feel like you are making a difference. That kind of fulfillment is hard to come by. I can also imagine it being an absolute nightmare, in which case retire and do something else.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2024 at 08:39

Morning Ian,

As you know mate, I made the same decision as you. Based on a biopsy that indicated I had low grade low volume disease. Financial matters weren't a factor, my reasoning was if it doesn't need fixing don't fix it. AS is what my first MDT recommended and I took their advice.

There is conclusive evidence that advisory bodies like NICE are now of the opinion that many with low grade disease are being over treated. I believe that only about 30% of those on AS go onto have to have radical treatment. The introduction of CPG classifications also makes AS a more viable proposition.

I was in the unlucky 30%, but based on the initial diagnosis given to me, I still think I made the right decision to just be monitored.

I recently read this, which seems to support our decisions https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2022/prostate-cancer-active-surveillance-increasing

It shows that in America active surveillance was 26.5% in 2014 and had risen to 59.6% in 2021.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you mate. I've got a good feeling that you maybe in the majority group on AS that don't need radical treatment.

Edited by member 07 Mar 2024 at 09:09  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 09:42

I think England beating Ireland in the rugby is like expecting England to beat India at home in the cricket!! What a fiasco that has been. We can live in hope though!!

I hope your grandson is on the winning side anyway.

We are seeing Tim Vine tonight at Huntington Hall in Worcester. Really looking forward to it as a good laugh is very therapeutic🤣

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 10:14

This is an interesting thread you started, Adrian. Interesting aspect of PC forums like this is that men and some women get to know one another quite well. Most of us will never meet face to face but it is a 'friendship' which endures. I never thought men could share such intimate details. 

As I sit here I see a robin chasing all the sparrows away but unusually tolerating another robin, and reflecting on what happened on the 9th of March 58 years ago when we got married. We feel very lucky, particularly me, to be still around to enjoy our three grandchildren.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 11:56

No matter how much we try to avoid it, we always end up discussing health issues and coming to the conclusion, that we're all clapped out wrecks.😃

So true 🤣🤣… 

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 01:27

What are your thoughts on retirement! I'm now 60, advanced prostate cancer, 2 years in and ok at the moment and my original prognosis was 2 to 5 years. Whilst I enjoy my part time teaching, at some time I'm going to crumble. When should you give up and enjoy your leisure (pints of cider!)? Don't want to wait so long that I'm forced by the cancer to retire and have little health to enjoy what's left. 

Comments on a post card! Including banter - we are in the pub after all!

Just to be boring for a moment - if you are a member of the Teachers' Pension Service, you probably need to speak to your union and get some financial advice. A teacher with long membership and an incurable diagnosis can sometimes get the full enhancement but you have to balance that against the 'death in service' payout that you would lose. When I was in the LA, we were always careful to balance the two projected figures before someone retired in these circumstances. The downside of taking ER used to be that teachers weren't allowed to do supply if they had gone on ill health but that may have changed more recently?   

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 01:34

I keep reading that one in eight men will get this disease, but often wonder where they get this figure from. Are one in eight men actually diagnosed with the disease or are there thousands of men wandering around unaware they've got it. How many will die never knowing they had it?

One in eight is the number that are diagnosed in this country. A large scale piece of EU research showed that 50% of men in their 50s, 60% of men in their 60s and 70% of men in their 70s had some prostate cancer but most weren't diagnosed - presumably because they died of other causes. The data came from the post mortems of thousands of men of all ages - cause of death might have been a road accident, another cancer, flu .... but there was some cancer in their prostate. 

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 14:55

Afternoon all. Haven't dropped in for a few days so thought I would call by and say hello! Nothing much to report. I'm looking after my elderly mother for a few days having collected her on Mothering Sunday. Lots of cancer related talk but not mine this time, just hers. On the good news side, my younger brother got his follow up scan results back yesterday (following major surgery and chemo) and it was all clear! Nice to get some positive news.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Ian.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 13:29

Great news about your brother. If you don't mind me asking, is it the same curse we've got? My younger brother had our disease, diagnosed a couple of years before me. He went with RT/HT and seems to have made a decent recovery.

Hi mate

No, he has oesophageal cancer. Had surgery to remove the bottom of his oesophagus and the top of his stomach, plus 2 rounds of chemo. Hopefully ok now, but has been pretty rough. Mum isn't too bad cheers. She has terminal bowel cancer which is quite advanced, but she is doing ok all things considered. Add my late dad's prostate cancer and now mine into the mix, and its a bit of a family failing!

Still, on the positive side, mum is 86 next week, which we didn't think she'd make, and my brother is currently in remission, so things could be far worse 👍

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 06:08

Still, on the positive side, mum is 86 next week, which we didn't think she'd make, and my brother is currently in remission, so things could be far worse 👍

Great positive attitude mate and best of luck with your next results.

I've been in the real pub, or in my case working man's club, for the past three days. Been getting on the train at 11:30 everyday into town and having a few whilst nattering with mates and watching the horse racing at Cheltenham. I catch the 18:00 train home, via the chippy. I am a man of simple pleasures.

Luckily I've got an understanding wife.

Incidentally, I've changed from drinking lager to mild and can easily have 6 or 7 without any bladder problems. I've convinced the OH that it's good physio for the old waterworks.

I only bet small just to add a bit of interest to watching the racing. I've got a bookies app on my phone. Yesterday, I picked four horses and did a £1 ew accumulator. No winners but 3 were placed, the fourth horse however, only finished 5th. Unlucky I thought.

On the train home I was checking my phone and was completely surprised that the bookies I'm with were paying ew on the first 5 in the race where my horse had come fifth and that the ew accumulator had paid just under 150 quid. Not a fortune I know, but better than a kick up the *rse.

Thank heavens I hadn't discovered my win in the Club, I'd have probably over celebrated and missed the last train home.

I think I shall reinvest with another bet today. I'll treat my mates to a couple of pints and treat myself to an extra battered sausage on the way home this evening.

I intend keeping the wife sweet with a couple of bottles of vino and a box of chocs.

Life's good when you're winning.😁

PS: It was a close shave travelling back yesterday. Both loo doors on the train were knackered and at half way I felt nature was calling. Fortunately it's only a 15 minute journey I just managed to hold on. I had to jog the 300 yards home and burst through the front door like a drugs bust and run upstairs to the toilet before they could flush the evidence away.

Edited by member 15 Mar 2024 at 06:44  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 10:40

The virtual beers in the virtual pub are on you then 👍🏼

What you having mate?

Do you want a virtual packet of crisps, or peanuts or a pickled egg with it?

By the way. The landlord's thinking of taking down the Durex machine, in the gents.  No-one's using it.

I'll have a virtual pint of Adnams and a virtual packet of peanus please. 

Hopefully they'll install a viagra machine in the gents. 

Cheers!

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 12:05

Hi Adrian. I was also in the garden yesterday laying in 2 sleepers to form a flower bed. Essex Clay - took me all day… but all done now. 
Ironing today as the missus does morning at work. 
Off to get my blood test this afternoon. I’ll have to do a walk in at Oncology as I’ve still not got my consultant appointment for next week through. 
Bit overcast here but quite warm. 

Phil

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 12:32

Morning gents

Didn't get out in the garden unfortunately as I was driving back from Devon after a long weekend away. Be nice to get the grass cut this week if it stays dry though! Back to work this morning via the hospital for my PSA test, so will be watching my phone for the next few days.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 13:03

It was great thanks Phil, if a bit damp! It varies with the results. A couple of them have appeared on the NHS App, but last time I had to phone the CNS after a week. The letter from my consultant actually took 6 weeks to get typed and sent out! Hopefully the App will prevail this time, or I'll be ringing them by Friday.

Ian.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 13:16

Ah so not so reliable then.. 

Im still waiting for my appointment letter for next week after 3 weeks since my last consultation. Problem is I need to book the blood test but without knowing my appointment it’s difficult to guess. 
I also find the hospital letters take weeks to get to my GPs and so they don’t know when my meds have been changed. 
Got to book my next Degarelix soon and hoping the letters there or they won’t do it.

Phil

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 14:04

Alright for some Adrian! I do have a couple of cold ones in the fridge for later though 😬

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 19:13

Good luck Kev.

I'm lucky, I get my PSA checks done at my GPs surgery. They are on systemonline and I can usually view the results the next day.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 15:55

Still no appointment through today so i emailed my CNS and hopefully they can find out if my appointment is booked yet. 
Didnt bother with the blood test as don’t when I’ll be seeing the consultant next 🤷‍♂️. 

Nice evening out seeing Tony Hadley, Swing Tour, great show , great voice. Seen him before and also many years ago with Spandau Ballet with the wife, before kids … ! 
Lovely Greek food beforehand with a few glasses of vino… as you have to 😁

10cc next week , anyone remember them 👍

Edited by member 20 Mar 2024 at 15:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 18:51

Well 'The Original Soundtrack ' with that track on it was excellent. We may be getting older but we have had the best pop/rock music ever in oor lifetime so far. What great bands there have been. My wife and I are seeing Jethro Tull at Symphony Hall in Birmingham next month...another classic band. Also seeing James in June who are truly amazing live. We live just outside Pershore in Worcestershire and our local celebs are Toyah (wilcox) and Robert (Fripp). If you haven't seen it check out Toyah and Roberts Sunday lunch on Utube. Its hysterical.  We saw them perform in Pershore last year at the begiinng ot their tour. It was brilliant.! I loved King Crimson as well and Fripp is a class performer as is his wife.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2024 at 20:01

Adrian
I know how frustrating it is now. Both my wife and I have had to chase things up . I feel so sorry for people that don't know to do that or not  have the where with all to do it. I have had to fight with Gp's to get referrals on to specialists and my wife has had terrible problems with her eyes requiring constant calls to hurry through appointments .
Having said that the treatment I have had from the NHS for my cancer has been great overall but it may not have been so if I had not had experience of the system and how you have to press all the time.
Poor state of affairs and unfortunately not much hope of it improving. My advice to all is just be persistent as those that are are more likely to get the treatment they need than those that just sit back and wait. It should not be like that but unfortunately it is now. Aneurin Bevan would be mortified if he could see the state of the NHS now.

Mind you I am as well!!

Enough of my rant. have a good evening all

Martin

Edited by member 20 Mar 2024 at 20:04  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 21 Mar 2024 at 14:48

Off to Jersey in a couple of weeks on a 45 minute flight

Kev, when are you flying out to Jersey? We are flying from Luton on the 5th April on the 16.10 flight. Our son picks us up as they’re only 5 mins from the airport in St Aubin. Then we have their spare car 👍. 
But the buses are great there and you can follow them on the App so you don’t miss one or be too early. 

If you want any other tips please ask . We’ve now been so many times I think we’re seen as locals ..

Phil

User
Posted 21 Mar 2024 at 15:16

Hi Kev. How funny we are flying back on the 8th too.. 17.55. I’ll look where we’re sitting 🤣🤣
We like St Helier but don’t always visit when we’re over as we are often quite busy. Mostly eat in St Aubin as we can walk. 

There are 2 really lovely garden centres , St Peter’s and Ransomes. Both have really nice cafes. The indoor market in Market St St Helier is worth a visit on a Saturday. 

I’ll ask me boy about nice Pubs in town. If we’re in town we always go shopping in Jacks which has some nice clobber, men’s and ladies. 

Sunday brunch at El Tico is great. Lovely views and cracking food but you might have to wait as it’s popular. It’s on the beach at st Ouens Bay so you’ll need a bus or taxi. Breakfast there is massive. 

Phil

User
Posted 22 Mar 2024 at 22:34

Hi Kev . We use a lounge pass which gets it cheaper . We are flying quite a bit , especially to Jersey now and it’s worth it. 
18 flights last year. Mostly Jersey, but 2 to Spain and 4 USA flights. 

So it won’t be bloody kids kicking my seat 🤣🤣. Oh but I’m behind you so watch out 🤔

The buses are great and cheap. Bus to St Helier is just outside the terminal door. I’d put the bus app on while you have WiFi at the Airbnb or airport then just use it when you need. It’s called Jersey Bus Tracker. 
Fingers crossed for the weather. 

Edited by member 22 Mar 2024 at 22:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 07:01

With you two hitting the island at the same time, they might need to bring Bergerac out of retirement! 😁

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 09:43

Good tip re the bus app.

If Bergerac does come out of retirement, he could drive us round the island in that old car of his (murders permitting).

Kev.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 20:30

Cracking day today! Spent the entire day in the garden. Cut the grass, relocated the log pile and rotovated the veg patch. Maybe I’m getting old, but this adds up to a good Saturday these days! Also took my mind off my PSA test results, which I’m waiting for after my latest test last Tuesday. It’s frustrating, as we all know they are available the next day in most cases. 

User
Posted 23 Mar 2024 at 21:21

Hi mate

That sounds like a good day too 👍

cheers, I’ll keep you posted.

Ian.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 13:46

Well got a call this morning to say my appointment is this Thursday. 
But anxious to say the least . Would be lovely to see my PSA steady or even falling… we will see. 

So to take my mind off it I cleaned my car. 3 hours it took as it’s white and needed the toothbrush treatment in all joints, trim edges etc. looks mint now but I’m too knackered to give it some polish… Maybe this afternoon… 

Can’t wait to get started on the gardens. But as we’ve had the back re-modelled last year we need some new planting and it’s too early. Same goes for front where we’ve had the front paved with a smaller flower bed - itching to get planting… 

Grass could do with a trim though … 

Wasted valuable time trying to watch the pathetic England football display. Won’t get those 2 hours back… And the F1 wasn’t any better. 

Right, better get lunch ready now . I’m starving , it’s the steroids 🤣… 

Take care peeps, 

Phil

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 15:18

It’s great you guys are so busy. Indoor skydiving wow, that’s well out of my comfort zone… but I’d give it a go… ! 
Was the Saracen’s game at the Tottenham stadium ? Been there a few times to see Spurs. It’s a cracking stadium, well designed and plenty of places to sit and eat/drink. 

Car wash has closed for the day 😁. 
Gonna faff with my bike and possibly cut the lawn … 

I do love my car being clean but can also feel a bit lazy at times and it gets a bit grubby. Wifey has an 8 year old Mini Cooper we got new and we absolutely love it. It cleans up a treat and drives really nice. I’ve got my 5 year old Audi Q3 which I got ex demo with a cracking discount. It’s fully loaded as it was the first of the latest shape and I love that too. It’s my 4th Audi. My first was back in the mid ‘80’s and it was a 100 Coupe Auto - looked like a drug dealers car 😳🤣 but the missus hated it as it had Twin 45 Dellortos and the carbs sometimes iced up if you were cruising at speed. 😬 

One day soon we’ll go down to 1 car, but which one 🤷‍♂️… 

How on earth did a goldfish get a name like Drinko ? There has to be a story there… 

Right so onwards and upwards. Its out to the garage 👍

Phil

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 16:37

Hi Adrian,

I jumped with one of the Red Devils, he wore a prosthetic leg due to losing his in an explosion. He did a lot of air to air camera work and was a really great guy, sadly he died around ten years ago. 

Kev.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 16:45

Love reading these stories from you guys. There’s more to us than PCa … 👍

I just tried to start my bike. In case you didn’t know I rebuilt it from a complete wreck whilst at the beginning of this journey and it kept me very busy. It’s a triple 2 stroke 350 Kawasaki. 
Anyways , no spark on LH cylinder so gotta take tank off and check connections to coils etc. I converted it to electronic ignition but don’t think it’s that as 2 cylinders are fine. Maybe a dud coil as they’re original ones from 1973… 

So no grass cutting today ……

User
Posted 25 Mar 2024 at 17:51

Yes it’s an S2A 350 46hp little rocket.

Z250 was a nice little bike. I had a tuned 250 BSA when I was 16 ( 1971) was a little rocket as it was so light. Faster than my mates RD 250… 🤣

Always had bikes from 15. Met my missus  in ‘79 and bought a Suzuki GS1000 cos it was wicked fast and had a nice seat. Had over 150 on the clock 2 up… 😳

Had a Ducati before that - no good for pillion. 

Too old now for it and a body weakened by HT……. So the bikes going soon… 

User
Posted 27 Mar 2024 at 20:59

Hiya

Compared to you guys I feel like a right woose. The best I can offer is going up in an air ballon for a 40th birthday  present.  It was quite brave in a way as I hate heights but it actually was quite amazing. We ended up 1 mile above the Malvern Hills at about 7am with a glass of champagne as well.  Earliest I have ever drank alcohol ( I think)😄. It was quite eery as there was absolutely no noise at all.

I rode pillion on some geezers bike when I was a student back in the day as he asked me to go and hold on to a plank of wood he wanted to buy. Never been on a bike before and I don't think I will ever again....it was windy as well !! Could have done with a Tena then!!🤣

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 12:54

Hi Debbie and Steve.

Thanks for popping in. What a lovely romantic tale about your daughter. I've been thinking of you two. How's Steve's recovery going?

Late edit. Just seen your update on

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30421-Help-It-seems-to-be-taking-so-long-to-get-to-op-appointment#post294031

Edited by member 28 Mar 2024 at 14:13  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 13:05

Not long after John was diagnosed, I went to a Harley Davidson shop and bought John a Fatboy as a surprise.

Wow! That is fantastic. I've been banging on to my wife about how much I want to get an MGB for years, but I've yet to wake up and find one parked on the drive....😂

User
Posted 28 Mar 2024 at 14:52

Wow , love all these stories. It’s like we are really getting to know each other. Rather than just what treatment we are on… 

I’ve known you a while now Lyn but that story was a big surprise 👏. 

I bought my girlfriend a car for her 17th birthday … does that count 🤔. Dirty Gerty - the car not the girlfriend… 

Then i bought her a better car for her 18th.  A one year old Cortina Mk4 in bright red. 

Did I spoil her , yes I did and I don’t regret it one bit. Still married after 43 years now 👍

Cant think what I’ve done that scared me the most 🤔… 

Cheers, 

Phil

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 20:45

Re Jethro Tull. I will let you know how it goes. They are my wifes favourite band and I have always liked them too. Never been to Symphony Hall in Brum so the sound should be good at least. Hope you all are having a good Easter. We have our family coming  tomorrow for a roast dinner so really looking forward to us all being together. Enjoy the rest of the Easter break.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 05:41

Ah, so this is where the insomniacs hang out!

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 18:01

We kept our marriage secret for a further 8 years!  It was only when my dad became seriously ill with 'our disease' that we decided to announce it.

Wow! Now that is some secret to keep, incredible!!

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 01:04

Here’s one for you insomniacs who may appear later, what’s your song to reflect your current mood?
I’ve been really struggling this week, my legs feel like heavy lead weights, I continue to get up 6-7-8-9or10+ times every night for a wee but can’t sleep anyway due to the frequent Prostap induced hot sweats. When I have a session getting pi$$ed like I did tonight with the missus watching some Netflix American series rubbish, I spend more time at the bog than in my chair. I’m 61 but feel more like 91. Prostap making me weaker and weak, my favourite football team loses every week and is in the bottom division, seriously now considering getting myself an electric MTB because I have no muscles left to peddle my old trusty mean machine (my pedal bike), but I bet they don’t fund them on the NHS (quite right too). Just putting it out there😬😬😬😬.

I’ve got this song in mind >>>>>
Just a castaway an island lost at sea, oh

Another lonely day with no one here but me, ohMore loneliness than any man could bearRescue me before I fall into despair, oh

I'll send an S.O.S to the worldI hope that someone gets my message in a bottle, “

That'll be the SpongeBob
User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 09:08

Oh SpongeBob, so sorry to hear this. Sounds like the Prostap is doing a number on you all right. Is it possible to talk to your CNS about the frequency of wee breaks? It must be so tiring and when you’re tired everything seems worse. I added Solifenacin to the Tamsulosin. 
I now take Mirtazapine as a sleeping aid which works well. Not so good as an anti depressant so still have my weepy days thinking about how long I’ve got left and how fast my disease is progressing now. Can’t bear the thought of leaving my wife alone.. Doesn’t seem right . 
Take care buddy. 
Phil

User
Posted 06 Apr 2024 at 12:23

I thought you were in Jersey?

We are here in Jersey. Just back from breakfast out …. Need a rest now. 

Met with KevT at Luton on our way here. Lovely to meet him and his wife. Hope they’re having a lovely time here. 

Always try to be positive, does kinda become a way of thinking . Plus I don’t want to be down for the wife. 

Phil

User
Posted 08 Apr 2024 at 07:37

Hi Kev,

Belated happy anniversary to you and your beloved. I hope your romantic big bath together went better than one I described early ( full details on this thread, 3 April @ 10:11) when I nearly drowned my missus. 😁

Edited by member 08 Apr 2024 at 07:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2024 at 12:27

Hello guys, I’m back 😁.. Been very busy after our weekend away so just sat down for 10 mins between getting the ironing and packing done for this weekend’s trip to visit friends on Exmoor while the missus is at work. She is going too 🤣 , she’s just at work now 🤦‍♀️… 

Was lovely to catch up with Kev and Kirsty. Felt like we’d known each other for a long time. Kev’s right , there’s lots of fast cars and loads of full size Range Rovers which I can imagine getting stuck in some of the roads our son goes down… 

Nice to see spring is coming , everything looking green and fresh. Still got lots of planting to do, front and back as we’ve had a complete re model of the rear garden and front drive done leaving a nice quadrant in the front corner for shrubs etc… Looking forward to going round the garden centres choosing what to buy 😁. Well I don’t choose of course as I haven’t a clue 😳

Still come home to being a bit fretful about next weeks bone scan and subsequent consultation … 😬… Just like a bit of stability for a while so I can get off the monthly checks/consultations as you don’t really get a chance to relax.. I almost want to get the Orchidectomy done so I can come off the HT and steroids. I’m blowing up like a balloon. I’m still able to get a ‘rise’ on the HT but who knows after the Orchidectomy . I suppose it’s anyone’s guess. 

Take care chaps

Phil

Edited by member 11 Apr 2024 at 12:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Apr 2024 at 21:49

Hi Chaps,

Spongebob here still in France but now skint. So far for meals we’ve had a Tunisian couscous in Arras, Italian dish in Hermonville, Chinese in Troyes, French 🇫🇷 in Noyers sur Serein, Indian (poulet vindaloo) in Chartres, Galettes in Bayeux.

Fabulous, must admit though to struggling with this type of holiday being a road trip, because most days I’m driving all the morning everyday wanting to go for a poo all the time presumably as a result of the radiation. You might think strange that I therefore decided to go for a vindaloo!. But I decided on a vindaloo because surely the belly couldn’t get any worse, in fact I feel better.
Trouble is the absence of public bogs in France. So it has been a bit of an uncomfortable experience. But what’s the alternative? To stay inside sitting on the bog all day? No chance, not SpongeBob even if I have to take an emergency ‘al fresco’ behind a bush with the missus acting as Gendarme😱.

We went to see the Bayeux tapestry today, if for you gents history floats your boat then I really recommend it. In fact I’m that interested that I have an Indiana Jones desire to try go search for the templates that they must have used (although the wife killed that idea dead when she suggested that Bishop Ord probably drew the template on the tapestry cloth itself!!!). Let me know if anyone wants to join me on a quest to find the lost templates.

I’ve had quite a few cold blonde Leffes on this trip and have developed quite a liking for them along with of course the beaucoup de vin which my Onco would fall of his chair with if he knew 😬. Vivre le France - it’s not their fault.

Salut

Spongebob

User
Posted 15 Apr 2024 at 11:29

We went to see the Bayeux tapestry today, if for you gents history floats your boat then I really recommend it.

We went to see that years ago when the kids were little, it's fascinating isn't it. Sounds like you're having a great trip 👍

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 12:51

The village Pub is lovely and we joined the Times Crossword group Sunday afternoon. No teams we all just try to get the answers together - good fun, especially with the amount of alcohol consumed]/quote]

The Times Crossword group...ooh get you. 😮

I even struggle with The Sun's  crossword. 😁

Very best of luck, with your blood test and scan Phil. 🤞

Edited by member 18 Apr 2024 at 09:40  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 16:48

Glad to see the booze cruise never died. Years ago I had a Saab 900 turbo, it had a massive boot which I filled up and drove home with a bottomed out suspension. 

I'll join you for a Guinness or two, we're off to Nor'n Iron this weekend, the Giant's Causeway is next on my list 👍

Fingers crossed for this week Phil 🤞

Cheers,

Kev.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 17:24

We just having our last night in Montreuil sur Mer. Called in at the British military cemetery at Etaples on route to pay my respects to my great grandad who died there on 15th October 1918. Last night we were in Honfleur and what a fabulous, fantastic spot that is - very Poldark like. We had a superb dinner out, and will definitely go back again sometime.

Very envious of you folk living darn south in Essex, how easy it is for you to nip over here to France - I would fill my boots with it 😬🇫🇷.

Spongebob (on the Leffes again 🍺)

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 14:16

Have a really great time Kev. Northern Ireland is on our list too 👍. Watch those big steps 🤣 I think the Bushmills factory is somewhere near there. 😁

Good shout Phil. Just so happens we're about 15 minutes drive from there, I'll see if I can get on a tour 👍🏻

I don't think I could go to the Giants Causeway. The sight of rigid, upright things, all naturally produced, would make me too envious. 😁 

Maybe they use Invicorp Adrian.. to prevent coastal erosion 🤔 I'll let you know if they sell it in the gift shop. 

Cheers, 

Kev.

Edited by member 18 Apr 2024 at 14:20  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 14:19

I don't think I could go to the Giants Causeway. The sight of rigid, upright things, all naturally produced, would make me too envious. 😁

Have you had your scan and blood test yet?

Hi Adrian. Know what you mean.🤣

But this weekend away as usual at night I tell the missus she knows where I am if she needs me 😉, and guess what , she did 🤪… Made my weekend. 😎

Blood test and bone scan tomorrow. See the consultant next week … 

Phil

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 18:09

Blood test and bone scan tomorrow. See the consultant next week

Update, consultation a week Tuesday now … 

Phil

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 11:58

Northern Ireland sounds like a right good do, I’ve definitely got it on my list. I would love to see the Giants causeway (though not at the same time as a million others 😬). I’ve seen the other end of the causeway on Staffa and Mull, fantastic, 

Interesting reading recent comments, making me laugh, I’ve also had the camera crew up the backside a couple of times whilst watching the show on the telly - fascinating and humiliating at the same time as the camera crew were all nice women. Makes me wonder what drove them into such a career? Is it a genuine real interest in men’s asses? Whatever, I am grateful. It’s good fun being an old man 👨‍🦳

Just been out for a 2 hour walk up the hill with one of my old school mates. It was good to have a good old sober chinwag about mountain bike routes and stuff. For once it isn’t wet.

And this afternoon I’m going to brew some beer (a batch of wherry from Norfolk). This will be my first batch since before treatment.

Gradually getting back to doing more stuff. The dishwasher broke down last week with an E09 error. The wife was delighted because she thought it meant that we’d get a new dishwasher. But a bit of simple googling sorted it, ordered a new heater motor and fitted it on Monday. The hardest bit was getting the dishwasher out of its cupboard and putting it back again. Chuffed with myself for fixing that 😬😬

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 12:06

We managed a trip around the NI coast last year on the motorbike. It is spectacular. Bushmills distillery was on our backup plan for a rainy day. Amazingly we had four sunny days in a row. 

Last weekend I was in Galway and did a few bike trips in to Connemara and up to Westport, again the scenery is amazing. The nightlife in Galway is hectic.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 12:15

Wow, lovely to hear you guys are all still getting around 👍. 
N.Ireland is seriously on our list . Kev, your trip sounds fantastic. I’m right jealous 🤣. 
Dave, great to hear you’re still using the bike. After a good few years break my little Kawasaki 350 feels too heavy for me now to manhandle around. So it’s gotta go and put the money in the holiday pot. This bloody HT has taken its toll after 6 years… 

Take care guys

Phil

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 12:27

Hi Kev,

I'm glad you enjoyed your tour of Northern Ireland. My younger brother was an RMP and did nine years over there during the troubles.

I remember going out with him when he was on leave. We were pub crawling along Freeman Street in Grimsby, when a passing car backfired. He instinctly dived for cover in shop doorway.

I've only been there was once. Was flown in a Hercules from West Germany to Portadown to give evidence in a Court Martial case.

He did 17 years in the Army, half of it dodging bullets in NI. I only did 3 years, almost, drinking, smoking and sh*gging myself to death in Germany. "That's the luck of the draw" I used to tell him. 😁

Edited by member 24 Apr 2024 at 12:42  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 13:20

I had the camera up my bum 6 months before my PCa diagnosis, funnily enough they were all women too, they were all complaining about the traffic on the A1 and I pleaded with them not to take it out on my bum. Weird to think that the camera nudged past my cancerous prostate on its journey though. 

Also, I had bowel cancer screening last year, it was a DIY job where you dip a stick in your poo, pop it in an envelope and post it to the lab. Hilarious to think of my poo going Royal Mail. 

Dave, I reckon you did page 372 of my book last weekend, well Galway and Lough Corrib 👍🏻

Phil, if you're still struggling with the motorbike, my Mrs says you can have her old coil as she doesn't need it anymore 😁

Adrian, my brother in law was an RMP, did Germany NI Aldershot and the Falklands. We drove up the Shankill and down the Falls road Monday.. fascinating to see all the murals barriers and walls are still there.

Cheers everyone. 

Kev.

Edited by member 24 Apr 2024 at 13:25  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 13:36

Phil, if you're still struggling with the motorbike, my Mrs says you can have her old coil as she doesn't need it anymore 😁

Kev, that made me laugh , 🤣🤣. 

This really is like being down the Pub 👍

Phil

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 13:50

Seeing a low PSA result is always welcome news and worth celebrating. 

As for birds.. I just checked the nestbox camera and it looks like we've got at least eight eggs, which is about average for bluetits. 

Hey Phil, your ex girlfriend lost out on a DIY God, I bet she rues the day she said you were too nice 👌🏼

I too have to play with lighting, my mums outside security light stopped working and it's not the bulb, if I can't fix it I'll have to fit a new one and hope the holes line up.

Cheers  

Kev. 

Edited by member 29 Apr 2024 at 13:54  | Reason: Punctuation

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 16:48

I did the poop test a few weeks ago and all came back ok. I must remember to tell my consultant at least I haven’t got bowel cancer 🤪. 

They sent it back!!!! Why?🤔  🤣

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:07

Hi Adrian,

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you had in mind?

However, it doesn't seem to be well-used, so keeping a conversation thread 'alive' might be difficult - but it might be worth a try.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:17

Hi mate

I think it’s a great idea. It would be a good way for those that wanted to, to keep in touch without needing to post an update on results, or respond to a particular question. We’re all in this together, so we may as well share a joke or two, or just bemoan the latest rugby scores….

I hope it takes off!

Ian.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 21:39

Hi.

I posted this conversation in the general discussion area. However, I can't see anywhere in that topic area that provides the sort of chat area that I'm requesting. I fully appreciate that this site is dedicated to prostate cancer issues but surely a very tiny area put aside for people who are dealing with the disease to have natter without having to respond to specific prostate cancer issues can't be a bad thing?

Prostate cancer will probably still be main talking point but it can be more informally discussed rather than having to fit a specific conversation theme.

It seems to me that that there is a nucleus of regulars here but there's not even a place for them to discuss with each other how the are getting on, unless you resort to private messaging or asking them on their own specific journey conversations. The sort of area, I'd like is where we can support each other but without being confined to specific threads. It might also be a more relaxed place for newcomers to dip their toes in the water?

Edited by member 18 Feb 2024 at 22:08  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 22:25

Sorry here I go again on my high horse🤣🤣🤣 Maggies! If you have one nearby PLEASE go along and see what support groups they have. In Fife, we have a very proactive group and there are weekly meetings(general support for men with all types of cancer) and monthly PCa Networking Group which was started because so many men with PCa were attending the weekly meetings. Note…other support groups are available. At the meetings we all meet beforehand in the kitchen area, a wonderful volunteer(thanks Brenda🙏) makes us teas and coffees and we have a really good blether. then, we have the formal(well it’s not really formal but is led by one of the members of staff) meeting, and at the end we usually have more tea and discussions, not just about cancer but anything. Through Maggies I have made so many good friends and regularly go out for coffees, lunch or drinks with them. Fife Leisure also run an ‘active movers’ gym session in various gyms for men and women recovering from cancer, and the one I go to we meet up after and all go for coffee/drinks. My wife tells me I have a better social life than I’ve EVER had😊

Now,  you may not have a Maggies close by nor a specialist gym class but it’s certainly worth investigating any support that’s available locally….maybe ask your CNS,  they should know what’s available.

This has been so important to me because meeting with other men and women with cancer really helps…they just GET it and the support from them has been amazing, I no longer feel alone on this journey.

Good Luck,

Derek

User
Posted 18 Feb 2024 at 22:46

Hi Derek,

I would never consider going to a support group. Like VED pumps they're not for me. 

I love this place, you can do it in your dressing gown and slippers. I just feel its missing something?

I feel like I'm doing a lousy pitch on Dragon's Den and they're all saying "I'm out" 😂

Edited by member 18 Feb 2024 at 22:50  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 11:24

Adrian, I think it’s a good idea. Sometimes you need to chat about normal life, like your hols or something. As you say like being down the Pub. (Hopefully not collapsing in one as I did last week 🤣) .

I do tend to ramble on in my posts about other stuff so I suppose I’m doing that a bit already. 

Decho, Maggies sounds really great but none anywhere near me. I might look up McMillan opportunities as my counselling took place in their offices and they were so friendly. I went to a hospital arranged meet up which was good but it turned out 90% of the guys were way older than me and were not G9s and their PCa was mostly under control so I didn’t feel like I was really part of it 🤷‍♂️. 

Cheers

Phil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 11:56

I've only been here 4 months, so perhaps, its  a bit presumptuous of me to suggest change.

However, since I joined, there have been 675 new members. I suspect only a small percentage of those have posted. Of course there are numerous reasons why they haven't, but maybe some are reluctant to join in, because of the technical nature of many of the threads.

Perhaps one link to a less formal place would give them confidence to post?  

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 21:10  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 12:20

Sometimes you need to chat about normal life, like your hols or something. As you say like being down the Pub.

Hi Phil

This is why I enjoy your thread https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28119-Why-can-t-they-treat-my-Lymph-node-PCa so much.

On it, although your condition is the main theme, there's lots of everyday chat. Its refreshing to talk about everyday life. However, like all the similar threads, relating to people's journeys with the disease, they are still based on an individual, and most of them are 'old sweats' 😉 on here. I'm not bashful but even I felt it a bit daunting when I first posted on your thread.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:31

Hi Adrian. When I first posted on here I was very, very reticence about sharing personal stuff. But I saw a thread by a guy who just wanted to vent to relieve his anger and I think it helped him to write it down and for someone to listen. He had been abused as a child, like myself and without him telling us we couldn’t have known him so well and understood his feelings. So don’t be afraid to speak your mind or share your feelings on here. 

So I bit the bullet and didn’t hide it anymore or the fact I was fostered . That awakening happened in my personal life at the same time.

I know it upsets some people and some just don’t want to hear. That’s ok , I get that , but it’s who I am. I am not ashamed or embarrassed anymore by it. That came about by meeting the lovely people on here and at the same time starting counselling. I’m so grateful to everyone. 

I find it amazingly uplifting to be able to talk about ANYTHING on here. No judgement, everyone is so understanding. 
So, let’s have a Pub Thread or threads where we can ramble on about ‘normal’ life  🤣🤣

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:37

Adrian

It is a very good idea to meet face to face for a coffee but difficult to organise. The only way one can do is to let people here know where you live and suggest a meeting place and see if there are some who are within a short driving distance, say 10/15 miles, of mutually convenient spot. In earlier days following my surgery, a face to face meeting with other men would have been useful. Most of the meeting groups are too far from where we live. Of course it is up to the administrator of this site whether he/she will allow us to reveal  postcodes so that a meeting can take place.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 13:57

It is a very good idea to meet face to face for a coffee but difficult to organise. 

Hello mate.

I haven't been very clear and caused a bit of confusion. As nice as it might be, I don't mean a face to face meeting in an actual cafe or pub. What I'm suggesting is a place/area on this site to have a general natter, like you would do in a cafe or pub.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 14:04

Hi Derek,

Adrian, For 9 months I said Maggies was not for me and then my wife cajoled me into going along…and I’ve never looked back. I would say 80% of the men in our group would say the same. I agree though that it’s not for everyone and some men don’t come back.
I think though I maybe misunderstood your post…I think you were talking about an ePub or eCafe not a physical pub which would be difficult to organise I think. This forum is a wonderful but there’s nothing better than real face to face contact and a hug from a fellow sufferer.🤗
Last year I made very good friends with another member on here and we even met up on holiday…it was so uplifting for both us and we talk regularly on WhatsApp, not just about cancer and treatment, but about our families and everything and anything😊

Derek

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 15:24

Now there's a thought Adrian. Maybe if the space on here doesn't work out, then a WhatsApp group might be the answer?

Bottoms up?...

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 15:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 15:43

Bottoms up?...

WhatsApp is a bit technical for me. I only got my first mobile a couple of years ago. I sent a rather embarrassing WhatsApp message to the 'wrong person' 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 17:53
I think it’s a great idea…but then I’m happy chatting!….but you’re right Adrian, when responding on here, it is usually in response to a question someone has posed or request for experience etc.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 19:50

That's exactly what I've been trying to explain. Thank you putting it much more clearly than I've done. 👍🙂

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 03:46

It would also be a handy place, to post, when you're  still having problems sleeping. A haven for insomniacs.🙂

I cut my grass today. First cut of year. I thought it might be still too wet but it was fine. Also scattered 100 kilos of rock salt on my gravel driveway. Apparently its great for preventing weeds growing.

Went to the Club had four pints of Mild, no problem peeing.

Oh and had my year post op telephone consultation. It was with a locum urologist. Which was a bit disappointing. I was hoping to it would have been with the surgeon who did the op. I was sad to learn that they didn't have my last 2 PSA results, especially when, 2 weeks ago,  I envisaged this problem. and had gone to the bother of contacting my CNS, to ensure they were available.

He was pleased with the results when I gave him them. He asked how I was peeing and asked if I'd been to the ED clinic despite me being prescribed Invicorp for the last 7 months? He told me that I would continue 3 montly PSA checks for at least another year.

The phone call lasted 5 minutes. Considering all I been through over the past year, I felt a bit worthless and hadn't got my money's worth. 🙂

Can't wait for my next telephonic conversation in about 6 months time.

Right, I'll get back to counting sheep.

Hang on! I see I've just been joined by my pal Jules from Australia, what time is it there mate? 😁

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 04:03  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 04:09

Oh bugger! I must have frightened him away. 🙂

Anyway, if anyone else has got any trivia to post please don't hesitate to use this thread. I shall keep unashamedly bumping it.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 09:28

Still not sleeping then eh pal?

A 5 minute telephone call with a locum is a bit disappointing, especially when they haven't even bothered to get your notes in front of them.

When you said you'd been spreading rock salt, I thought you were getting ready for the big snowfall the BBC keep banging on about. As it was 17 Deg here yesterday, I am inclined to think they may have got it wrong again 😂

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 10:37

Morning Ian. I hope you're well.

We get that scaremonging every year, dont we? 😁

I didn't used to enjoy gardening, but I love it now. It certainly does me good to get out in the fresh air and graft a bit. They say there's plenty of evidence that says gardening is good for your mental health. It's lovely to see the snowdrops, crocus and daffs out. Spring is definitely here. But you can guarantee  that  the day I turn the heating off, is when we'll get another beast from the east. I can definitely say that my garden has helped me over the past  3 years. It therapeutic for me.

As for the sleeping difficulties, they do continue, but seem to be getting a little better. Touch wood.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 10:43  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 12:43

Exactly what any one group does varies enormously, and you choose which activities you're interested in or not. This tends to change depending where you are in your treatment pathway or post-treatment. Before and during initial treatments, you are likely absorbing support experiences from the group. Some time after diagnosis and initial treatment, you may find you can usefully support newer members who have just been diagnosed based on your experiences and what you've learned along the way.

All do chatting.
Some also have WhatsApp and/or Facebook private groups for online chatting.
Some offer 1-2-1 support.
Some do presentations by clinicians.
Some do presentations which are nothing to do with prostate cancer, e.g. maybe local interest.
Some do pub evenings, coffee mornings, etc.
Some do walks (talk and walk).
Some offer exercise classes, complimentary therapies (massage, aromatherapy, acupuncture, meditation, etc).
Some do awareness events where you advise the public on getting checked.
Some run PSA testing events for the public.
Some are specific to some activity like cycling.
Some are specific for LGBTQ+, or black men, etc.
Some hospital ones are specific for their own patients (while other hospital ones are open to other patients).
Some are patients-only (particularly some hospital run ones), while others welcome partners and carers too.
Some are for partners only, and not the patient.
Some do fundraising for prostate cancer charities, or to buy equipment for their local hospital.

Everyone who comes along for an initial chat after being diagnosed says how wonderful the experience was, and they wish they'd come along earlier. We will usually chat with a new patient for typically 60-90 mins when they first approach us, which no clinician has time to do. We can go through things they should be considering, and what to ask their clinicians.

Also there are national and international support groups on Facebook, dedicated forums, or Zoom.
Some UK ones are specific to a particular treatment, such as Active Surveillance, Brachytherapy, or Advanced Prostate Cancer. (International groups will discuss protocols and treatments not available or applicable in the UK, because these are different in every country.)

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 13:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 13:29

I appreciate that Andy. My brother is a member of a local support group, but they are not my cup of tea. I'm lucky and as yet haven't needed face to face support. I have however found this forum very supportive. You can pop in whenever you want and someone will invariably help you. They are many people who are particularly knowledgeable, including your good self and who've been a great help to me.

All I want here, is an forever open, 'sticky' conversation. where any posters, regulars or newbies could have a general chat. I can't explain it any better. I was a member of the Martin Lewis moneysavingexpert site, before he became a TV super star. He had over a hundred topic areas on particular financial matters.  But he also had one specific open thread for people to have a general chat about financial affairs. Which was well used. Like that site we have hundreds of conversations on specific cancer issues but not a place to have a chat about life in general.

I've seen so many threads on here, usually late at night or in the early hours, that are started by newcomers and never get replied to and unless you bump them they are lost in cyber space. If they were posted in the always open general chat conversation area, they would get responded to. It would also be a good place for regulars who work hard and put a lot of effort into helping people, to relax a bit and chill out. To discuss life in general rather than having to respond to specific cancer issues. Such an area may not be workable, it may not get used, but I think it would be good idea to give it a go.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 20:39  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:07
There is absolutely no reason why this thread can't become that thing that you want Adrian - when Spurspark was still alive, we kept a thread going for a couple of years doing exactly as you have described. We don't even need the charity to make it a sticky - I have just saved it on my profile as a thread I am following and others can do the same.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 14:28

Cheers Lyn.

I was hoping you'd reply. I don't think I've done a very good job of explaining what I mean. I'm glad there was such a thread in existence. I've never seen it.  If I wanted to keep this thread alive would I just have to keep bumping it?

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 18:33

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 19:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 18:41

Hi Nick,

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:10
We used to have a thread on here, a bit like a pub quiz. Ask me any question you like and I will bet you that either I or my brother will know the answer.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 19:28

Your brother, being Mr Google? I used to love pub quizzes but too many people going to the loo, coming back and miraculously 'remembering' the answers,  spoilt it.😁

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 20:32  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 21:46
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Nick,

Hi Adrian, yes, it was yesterday thank you for asking 😀 (you have a good memory!).

It was all okay -ish! I thought I'd been told to choose between RALP or HT and  RT.

I'd weighed things up and I chose RALP, but...

When I saw the Surgeon he told me I was too porky for RALP and that, and other health issues (heart attack 12 years ago and pulmonary embolism a year ago), also meant that HT & RT was the way to go. So he's started the ball rolling for the HT. 

It's not a massive problem to me, and I do trust him, but I had sort of got my head around the side effects to be expected from prostatectomy, rather than the ones from HT/RT. I also liked the idea that the PSA tests would be reassuringly low if my prostate was gone.

Thinking back, the person who told me my results and itemised the choices, did mention that BMI would be an issue, but I thought that was in relation to Brachytherapy as that was the last treatment type she'd mentioned.

Anyway, I am pleased that Dennis (my cancer - named after a particularly nasty tw*t I had the misfortune to meet at school (with apologies to any other Dennises on here)), is T2 N0 M0.

So onwards and upwards!!

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 21:49  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 22:19

Love the idea of naming the cancer.😁

I might start a light hearted thread on it. I'd think I'd call mine Adolf because he's wicked and damn hard to get rid of.

It was touch and go if I could have surgery due to two blocked coronary arteries but eventually they said I was fit enough. I got through the op with no problems. But two months later had a minor heart attack and ended up in hospital for a couple of weeks. I'm okay now, touch wood. 

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 22:21  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 00:07
I don't think my brother would cheat

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 08:00

Only if people don't use it; hopefully they will.

Well it looks like there are a core bunch of us on here already who support this idea, so let's keep this thread moving on up ( I think there's a song there.....)

Adrian - I think you've achieved your aim mate 👍

Ian.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 08:02

Proctologists Arms?

Hand 'N' Glove?

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 11:29

Proctologists Arms?

Hand 'N' Glove?

Proctologists finger?

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 09:48

Hooray, I've managed to string together a couple of decent nights kip! I feel like a new man.

I'm watching my ten year old grandson play footy tomorrow. He's goalie for the local towns under 10's team. Kick off's at dinner time, which suits me as the chippy's just down the road. Can't beat spectating and eating fish and chips at the same time.

Then it's the rugby 6 nations, brilliant! Will be having a few bevvies at home and may manage a bit of gardening. 

Doing a huge braised steak casserole on Sunday, my favourite.

Life is so much better when you're not knackered.

As you've probably gathered I'm a man of simple pleasures.😁

Sorry for the couple of deleted posts on here, they were my responses to a post from another that vanished into cyber space and no longer made sense. 

Anyone else got any thrilling plans for the weekend?

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 11:53

I shall be watching the rugby, armed with a few cold ones! Not too sure how the Calcutta Cup is going to go this year mind.....

I could do with giving the garden some attention, but with all this bloody rain it is way too waterlogged to get out there really. Other than that I will be shovelling some s**t at the stables, which seems to have become my job at weekends when I am available. Add in a couple of dog walks and that is about it!

That's about as exciting as my weekends get these days 😂

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 12:27

Hi Ian, I think the bookies have got the Scots favourites. Should be a good game.

Have you got horses? My daughters got one.

Do you remember when the old barbers used to say. "Anything for the weekend sir?" Meaning johnies.😄

Edited by member 23 Feb 2024 at 12:33  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 12:53

Hello mate

I think the Scots might do it, unless we up our game from the last couple of narrow scrapes!

Just the one horse thankfully. My wife rides her, but I get to muck out the stable at weekends. To be fair, I quite enjoy being up there. Great for de-stressing after a week at work. In fact, after a week dealing with idiots, I am happy to just be around my labrador, my horse and my grandkids.

I can barely remember the days when I still needed to visit the barber! but yes, that was an amusing question at the end of the trim. Perhaps a French Tickler if it was a special weekend 😬

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 16:06

Hi,

Nothing too thrilling for me this weekend. Glad to report that my issues with having the "trots" immediately following the end of my RT appear to have subsided (for now). I'm now back out walking the dogs up and down the hill. I'll be driving down to Lincoln tomorrow to pick up son no 1 from Uni, he's coming home for his "reading week". Then in the afternoon, I'll be keeping tabs on the mighty Bantams who are playing away at Barrow, hoping for a rare win. Then it'll be my Saturday night curry with some beers whilst watching the Saturday evening footy on telly. Unfortunately, I find rugby a hard watch, I really want to England to win but I expect Scotland will (England more likely to win if I don't watch than if I do). The scoring in rugby does my head in with seemingly easy 3 points being given for the slightest of errors (errors that non-players don't understand), for me rugby would be better if there was more emphasis on scoring tries. 

I really envy you having a grandson playing footy, I would absolutely love that. Unfortunately, I couldn't get either of my two boys interested in football, playing or watching. Instead, they became swimmers and I lost countless hours of my life at swimming pools for their training and racing, including early mornings - nightmare! (advice for any new dads or grandads, be careful when you take the kids for swim, get them to swim yes, but too much and you might end up living there). 

All the ground saturated and boggy around here too. It'll be a couple of weeks before I dust off the old lawn moor and loppers.

Have a good weekend

Spongebob.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 18:50

I really envy you having a grandson playing footy, I would absolutely love that. 

It is wonderful. Neither of my sons were sporty, although I was. But both are very academically talented which I wasn't.

For the first 4 years of my grandson's life I had a big part in his upbringing. I was retired, and in the good weather could spend all day playing sport with him.

I adore the lad and I'm so proud of him. He's a very good player.

One of the hardest parts of my disease has been keeping it secret from him. He thinks I'm invincible and I'd hate to disappoint him.

Edited by member 23 Feb 2024 at 20:12  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 22:57

Had a lovely meal in the hotel tonight. Busy day meeting up with relatives and friends tomorrow then christening Sunday then back home. 
Might miss the Rugby … 

Keep busy guys 👍 Enjoy every day.

Phil

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 09:34

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 17:00

Full English this morning at the hotel, with family and Friends joined us. Then to Sons to see grandson, then to his In Laws for lunch with more family. Back to Hotel via lovely garden Centre. Another meal out tonight. 
I’ll need a rest after this….. 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2024 at 17:19

It sounds fab mate.

I had my fish and chips whilst watching my grandson's footy match. The food was great. The weather was bright. He played well and they won 3-0 plus he won his team's man of the match. Now watching Scotland and England Rugby its a decent game, seems close.

Then it's rugby league. Wigan v Penrith. World Club Challenge.

The empty cans are stacking up.

I'm a happy chappy. 😁

Late edit. I'm even happier. The Commitments is on tonight BBC2 22:15. I love the film and will annoy the missus when I join in with Andrew Strong. She'll have to wear ear plugs.

Edited by member 24 Feb 2024 at 18:35  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 11:49

Sounds like a great day Adrian. Every single day is special isn’t it as we know we only get so I many days in our lives. Make the most of them all. 

Phil

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 12:44

Ey up Phil! Great to see you.

Are you back home? How did the Christening go?

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 12:52

Hello lads!

My weekend was largely spent getting stuff done in the garden. Gave the lawn its first cut of the year, and planted two new trees. Always fancied a Peach Tree so we now have one in prime position in the middle of the lawn. After that lot, and a couple of hours clearing out the horses stable, my back is buggered today 😂

The rugby was promising for the first 10 minutes, then went downhill rapidly........

Life is pretty good at the minute, although I expect to start getting twitchy again over the next couple of weeks, as my next PSA test looms on March 19th.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 12:57

Christening was lovely thank you. In a little Church that the in laws go to then to The Royal Jersey Golf Club for a sit down meal. Lots of chatting and a couple of bevvies as I wasn’t driving 😁 , then off to the airport. 1 hour delay plus heavy rain on the way home from Gatwick meant we HAD to call in KFC for some sustenance at 11pm…  Only tastes that good when you’re starving. 🤣

Wonder there’s some way to have photo share thing on the forum? Could be time limited - like maybe a couple of days. 

Phil

User
Posted 26 Feb 2024 at 13:01

Hi Harty. Glad you had a nice day being busy 👍. 

Always nervous before a result….. 😳😬. 

See my consultant tomorrow after a rise in PSA and cancer growth last time … Don’t suppose we’ll ever get used to that wait. 

I need to cut my grass soon as it’s about a foot high. Hoping it stays dry for a couple of days… 

Phil