Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A place to have a chat.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 12:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I've had D & V all day today and my other half is claiming this as another victory in her war against me drinking. (She is weird, she doesn't like the taste!!) 

To be fair to her, D&V is an acquired taste. πŸ˜‰

We binged watched the complete second series of Kin yesterday evening. Started about 6pm finished in the early hours. I'm all gangstered out now.

Today, my grandson will be coming over to watch the Manchester derby. He's a Red Devil's fan. I fear he'll end up in tears. 😭

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 17:59

πŸ˜†

Edited by member 03 Mar 2024 at 18:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 22:34

Got to be a cider for me, preferably Stowford Press.

Can say that I've been to many football games in my life. However, I am running an indoor rowing competition between 126 children from 8 primary schools in the morning!

Pass the ear defenders please! 🀣

User
Posted 03 Mar 2024 at 23:51

However, I am running an indoor rowing competition between 126 children from 8 primary schools in the morning!

What an oar-some start to the week. πŸ™‚

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 12:08

Hi Guys

I saw this thread and decided to join in as it is a really good idea. When you realise on all the posts that there is so much knowledge and I guess angst as well I think it is really important that we can all chat and hopefully have a bit of a laugh as well. I worked in mental health for years and despite what people say about men not wanting to talk about their problems I never found that the case. For some it maybe true but I think it is not true of most men. Loads of them opened up to me about their problems... however the ones that didn't did not do so well!!

I know that sometimes I can be a bit aloof and keep things tight to myself... but its not always a good thing to do.  I really believe some find it more difficult to talk to women about their problems. I have never found that myself and probably the opposite. We are all different... thank goodness!!  My lovely wife is so supportive but sometimes I do find it hard to tell her what I really am feeling.

The idea of a virtual pub/ cafe or whatever is good. We should keep this going and by the looks of it we will. Good luck to you all. We need it! Just going to pour a pint now. Imagine an emoji.

I went to see a counsellor when i first got diagnosed and i was so glad i had a woman. She was the first person ever to hear about my childhood after my wife. I could never have told an another man about the stuff i did. Ive learnt a lot since then and i dont feel i need to hide it now. It is part of me and shaped me to be who i am now but it certainly isn’t easy at first. It was so good to be able to actually talk about anything , no judgement.

Pub seems to be doing well , let’s hope we don’t get a Brewery trying to take over. Much better being Freehold πŸ˜‚

Phil

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 12:47

Pub seems to be doing well , let’s hope we don’t get a Brewery trying to take over. Much better being Freehold πŸ˜‚

Bad start to the week.

One of my pond fish was floating dead in the water.

Went to the car rear offside puncture.

Got a letter from the taxman saying I owe him dosh.

Plus my TV's on the blink.

I'm pretty good at coping with major issues, like cancer, but a string of minor problems does my head in!

"I'll have a pint of Stella and a whisky chaser, please barman!" 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 12:54

"I'll have a pint of Stella and a whisky chaser, please barman!" 

Blimey mate , doesn’t sound like your day 🀦‍♀️.

You probably need more than a Stella and chaser… 🀣

Ask the barman , he’ll know what could help …. πŸ€ͺ

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 12:58

Got to be a cider for me, preferably Stowford Press.

Uh can’t do Cider. Although I worked in pubs from 8 years old and saw it all I still managed to get hammered on cider at 13 and I’ve never been able to stomache it since….  

Like dark Ale or stout, or if not wine or scotch/whiskey…. Problem is can’t hold the volume when on pints now 🀷‍♂️.. 

Phil

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 13:21

l I still managed to get hammered on cider at 13 and I’ve never been able to stomache it since….  

I remember when I was fourteen, drinking a bottle of QC sherry before going to the youth club disco, and throwing up on the dance floor. I'm sure, the vicar, who ran the youth club, actually swore whilst he gave me a mop and bucket. I was an 'orrible teenager. πŸ˜„

Anyway, well have to behave Phil, or we'll put off new customers.

Edited by member 04 Mar 2024 at 13:26  | Reason: Additional text.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2024 at 13:34

I remember when I was fourteen, drinking a bottle of QC sherry before going to the youth club disco, and throwing up on the dance floor.
I bet you was embarrassed πŸ€ͺ

When I was 14 I went to a party at a girls I knew . I knew she fancied me but I still asked her sister out and she knocked me back so I went in the kitchen and got totally smashed. Her mum did everything to stop me … I don’t know how I got home walking along the sea wall at 2 in the morning 🀦‍♀️. I did amazingly still stay friends with the girl and we had a few nights out when we were 16 🀷‍♂️…. 
😬…. 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 00:23

Good one! 🀣

The competition went well. Other than for one of the schools, that couldn't come because a load of ceilings had collapsed due to flooding leading to the school being closed!😱

For those of you who might know concept 2 ergs, the fastest today was 532m in 2 minutes. Pretty incredible for a year 6 girl! (Or boy or any combination πŸ˜‚)

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 06:24

The competition went well. Other than for one of the schools, that couldn't come because a load of ceilings had collapsed due to flooding leading to the school being closed!😱

Hi John,

I'm so glad you've popped in for a couple of quickies.  I find your upbeat attitude, after all you've been through, very impressive and inspiring.

I'm pleased the rowing event was successful.

Do you think the collapsed school ceilings were also due to the weak concrete scandal?

I see that you're still working part-time. I can imagining teaching being very stressful , when you have health issues.

Do they still have competitive sport at schools and have school teams that play each other? 

I'm a great believer in sport, especially team sports, being good for youngsters. I've seen what positive effects, playing for his local junior team for the past 3 years, has had on my 10 year old grandson. He's gained so much confidence and its great to see the growing comradeship between the team, which I'm pleased to say includes a couple of girls. Win or lose I love watching his matches.  The best bit is at the end of the game when both teams line up and 'shake hands' with each other. It's fab.

Edited by member 05 Mar 2024 at 06:35  | Reason: Typos

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 08:24

I'm a great believer in sport, especially team sports, being good for youngsters.

I think getting kids involved in sport is great for their development. My 3 sons all played Rugby, and I got involved in coaching and then refereeing, so it was a pastime we were all involved in. We had family season tickets at Northampton Saints for years.

I think the camaraderie and team building that Rugby instilled in them was instrumental in their development into well rounded, responsible and hard working (I may be biased) young men. True to form with Rugby, they would go out and spend 80 minutes trying to hammer the opposition, just to get together with them in the clubhouse afterwards and enjoy the social aspect of the game (this got more interesting as they got older πŸ˜‚)

Any sport or team based activity for youngsters, is far more beneficial than a computer game or TV in my humble opinion! 

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 09:03

We had family season tickets at Northampton Saints for years

Been to Saints many times as our friends were shareholders ( I think it was to raise money for the club) and we ate in the little members clubhouse sometimes. 
I'm a football supporter really but loved the way you could sit with opposing supporters. Was there once when I think it was the Bath or Exeter manager climbed into the seats to sort some one out .. 🀣

And my mate said Rugby was for intelligent people and football was for thugs … 🀷‍♂️

Must say though the language at football can be fruity, especially at non league which is my occasional Saturday jaunt as it’s more local than the drag up to see Spurs. 

Phil

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 09:07

Morning Ian,

Rugby,  south of the Humber,  isn't very popular, yet on the North Bank it's the main sport.

However, it would have been my sport of choice for him as regards character building.

The things I don't like about junior football is seeing kids rolling about the floor with fake injuries, and other bad habits,  that they've picked up from their premier league heroes. I also object to parents getting far too excited on the sidelines. πŸ™‚

Completely off track, I know you're a keen gardener, and I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that a robin has just started making a nest in a conifer about 3 yards from my kitchen window.

Edited by member 05 Mar 2024 at 09:46  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 11:26

And my mate said Rugby was for intelligent people and football was for thugs … 🀷‍♂️

The funniest comparison I have ever seen, was when they banned alcohol sales at football grounds because of crowd violence, then I was at the bar at Twickenham and saw a sign on the wall saying "no more than 6 pints to be served to one single person at a time" πŸ˜‚

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 11:29

Completely off track, I know you're a keen gardener, and I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that a robin has just started making a nest in a conifer about 3 yards from my kitchen window.

That's nice Adrian. We have a Robin nesting somewhere in the garden, and as of this year a Wren has taken up residence! We had a Woodpecker visiting daily last year, but no sign so far this year. Must have got bored with our peanut supply......

User
Posted 05 Mar 2024 at 23:47
I was at St James' Park last week to see my beloved team draw a game they should have lost. I noticed the lack of alcohol on the stands - kept having to stand up so all these blokes could come & go to the bar for a swift one. Seemed crazy to me that I was allowed to have a cup of tea in the stand - throwing hot tea over the away supporters would cause a lot more harm than throwing a pint of beer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 21:48

Yes, trying to stay upbeat- fake it till you make it!

Yes the primary schools still do competitive sports- netball, football, tag rugby, all sorts.  There aren't many like me doing indoor rowing in primary schools. It seems to be more of a secondary thing - probably because British Rowing don't approve!  I noticed the National junior indoor rowing championship results from last week were online today. That y6 girl I trained who got 531m in 2 mins would have beaten all the y7 girls in a much larger competition!

Robins have been mentioned - doing Forest school with y1 and Y2 yesterday, with several robins keeping watch, waiting for the kids to dig up some worms. Lovely birds, great song!

In a previous Forest school session we were all sat around our base camp, discussing something, when the local robin decided to get a bit territorial. After flying on and off the overhead branches I've tied up to support a tarp in the rain, it eventually got so peeved that it took a s*** on the head of another member of staff! 🀣🀣

Can't say I really get on with football - sorry! Just seems to be overpaid foreigners playing in the sport nowadays.

Edited by member 06 Mar 2024 at 22:15  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 22:10

What are your thoughts on retirement! I'm now 60, advanced prostate cancer, 2 years in and ok at the moment and my original prognosis was 2 to 5 years. Whilst I enjoy my part time teaching, at some time I'm going to crumble. When should you give up and enjoy your leisure (pints of cider!)? Don't want to wait so long that I'm forced by the cancer to retire and have little health to enjoy what's left. 

Comments on a post card! Including banter - we are in the pub after all!

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 22:50

Hi ForestJohn,

If you have the means then jack it in and enjoy yourself. However, it’s horses for courses though isn’t it? If you enjoy your work then carry on. I loathed my work, despised my employers for depriving me of my precious time (every 29 February used to bug me, why did employers get the extra day and not us?). I’m almost 62, not currently working and wasn’t sure if I was retired or not (I.e. whether to work again). I think this PCa has made my mind up. We have enough to have a decent retirement, holidays though are more holiday cottage on Mull or Ryanair short vac to Naples  than round the world cruises or tours of Canada or New Zealand.

Spongebob

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 22:53

I was very fortunate and was in a position to retire early with a decent occupational pension. So I've never had to suffer the disease whilst working. My four kids are aged between 35 and 45 and are all settled in their own places. So I've got very few 'family commitments' apart from amusing my two grandkids who live nearby.

However, after my dad died, in 2017, we moved my then 93 year old, mum in with us. We cared for her until a year ago, when due to her health declining, we had to move her into a nearby care home. I found those 6 years, more exhausting and taxing, than both my careers.

I've often said on here,  that I truly admire how, younger blokes with younger families and work commitments, cope with this disease. Especially those with a poor prognosis. My heart goes out to them.

If I was in their position I'm sure I'd struggle.

Edited by member 06 Mar 2024 at 23:07  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 06 Mar 2024 at 23:57
If you are enjoying your job carry on, if are not jack it in.

I would imagine teaching is something that could be very rewarding and you may even get to feel like you are making a difference. That kind of fulfillment is hard to come by. I can also imagine it being an absolute nightmare, in which case retire and do something else.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2024 at 00:06

If you are enjoying your job carry on, if are not jack it in.

What about the poor buggers who hate their jobs but have to keep on working whilst dealing with cancer? It must be difficult for them to cope.  But I suppose it would be a case of if needs must?

Edited by member 07 Mar 2024 at 00:10  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 07 Mar 2024 at 00:22

To right! Don't fancy long haul trips. Apart from that the travel insurance cost would be horrendous!πŸ˜‚

User
Posted 07 Mar 2024 at 07:58

This is an interesting one for me. I'm 60 in a few days, and not yet ready (financially) to retire. We could manage, but I'd prefer us to have more in the pot and be more comfortable if that makes sense. For this reason I have gone on AS, and am trying to put off treatment as long as it is safely possible. If I could afford to stop working now, I would be cracking on with getting this thing removed ASAP!

User
Posted 07 Mar 2024 at 08:39

Morning Ian,

As you know mate, I made the same decision as you. Based on a biopsy that indicated I had low grade low volume disease. Financial matters weren't a factor, my reasoning was if it doesn't need fixing don't fix it. AS is what my first MDT recommended and I took their advice.

There is conclusive evidence that advisory bodies like NICE are now of the opinion that many with low grade disease are being over treated. I believe that only about 30% of those on AS go onto have to have radical treatment. The introduction of CPG classifications also makes AS a more viable proposition.

I was in the unlucky 30%, but based on the initial diagnosis given to me, I still think I made the right decision to just be monitored.

I recently read this, which seems to support our decisions https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2022/prostate-cancer-active-surveillance-increasing

It shows that in America active surveillance was 26.5% in 2014 and had risen to 59.6% in 2021.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you mate. I've got a good feeling that you maybe in the majority group on AS that don't need radical treatment.

Edited by member 07 Mar 2024 at 09:09  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 07 Mar 2024 at 18:44

This is an interesting one for me. I'm 60 in a few days, and not yet ready (financially) to retire. We could manage, but I'd prefer us to have more in the pot and be more comfortable if that makes sense. For this reason I have gone on AS, and am trying to put off treatment as long as it is safely possible. If I could afford to stop working now, I would be cracking on with getting this thing removed ASAP!

can you maybe consider  have RT or removal and have sick leave? Then return and still be working but not deferring treatment ( if you feel you’d like it removed and are delaying treatment for a more secure future) so getting treatments but returning and able to boost your retirement? 

User
Posted 07 Mar 2024 at 20:57

Hi

Hi There

I was 'lucky' in the respect that at least I had retired with a good pension before I was diagnosed. I went for an RP ASAP ( and it was 2020 Covid time ) as like you I just wanted to get rid of it. I know people who have had an RP and had up to 6 months sick leave afterwards and then returend to work but I guess that will depend on where you work and what is possible in terms of sick leave. The people I know  worked for the county council.

I have no regrets re having the full works although after nearly 4 years I have just had a recurrence and am back seeing the oncologist. Nothing major ( I think) but I will need further treatment with radiotherapy. You can never be sure of a total cure.

Deciding on treatment options is always going to be tricky. Wish you all the best in your decision making anyway. You just have to do what you feel is right.

Best wishes

Martin AKA Jackson L 

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 07:34

You can never be sure of a total cure

Hi Martin.

Never a truer word spoken.

I hope you get sorted. I had RP a year ago, Gleason 9 (4+5) and dread a recurrence. Best of luck mate.

I keep reading that one in eight men will get this disease, but often wonder where they get this figure from. Are one in eight men actually diagnosed with the disease or are there thousands of men wandering around unaware they've got it. How many will die never knowing they had it?

Likewise, I often wonder was it so prevalent in the 'olden days' As a young man, I can't recall it being so common.

Anyway, not much going on here this weekend. I'll be watching my grandson playing footy again this morning. Kick off, 10 am at Gainsborough. Its forty miles away, the furthest away match they travel.Then back home to watch the six nations and have a few bevvies. Cooked a huge gammon joint yesterday, so that should increase my thirst.😁

If England beat Ireland I might crack a bottle of Invicorp to celebrate.🍾πŸ₯‚ 

Edited by member 09 Mar 2024 at 20:16  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 09:42

I think England beating Ireland in the rugby is like expecting England to beat India at home in the cricket!! What a fiasco that has been. We can live in hope though!!

I hope your grandson is on the winning side anyway.

We are seeing Tim Vine tonight at Huntington Hall in Worcester. Really looking forward to it as a good laugh is very therapeutic🀣

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 10:14

This is an interesting thread you started, Adrian. Interesting aspect of PC forums like this is that men and some women get to know one another quite well. Most of us will never meet face to face but it is a 'friendship' which endures. I never thought men could share such intimate details. 

As I sit here I see a robin chasing all the sparrows away but unusually tolerating another robin, and reflecting on what happened on the 9th of March 58 years ago when we got married. We feel very lucky, particularly me, to be still around to enjoy our three grandchildren.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 12:38

I think England beating Ireland in the rugby is like expecting England to beat India at home in the cricket!! What a fiasco that has been. We can live in hope though!!

I hope your grandson is on the winning side anyway.

We are seeing Tim Vine tonight at Huntington Hall in Worcester. Really looking forward to it as a good laugh is very therapeutic🀣

I think Tim Vine is brilliant. I hope you have a great evening out.

My grandson's team, lost 2-0. He played very well though and pulled off some terrific saves, it could have been a 10-0 defeat without him. 

I'm now going to prepare my self for the Irish onslaught.

As for cricket, it was my favourite sport, and I was able to play at local league level until I was in my fifties. I  thought England had a very special team, but the Indians have certainly proved me wrong.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2024 at 13:04

This is an interesting thread you started, Adrian. Interesting aspect of PC forums like this is that men and some women get to know one another quite well.

Thank you, we'll see how it goes. 🀞

As you say you do get to know folk on here and its sometimes nice to just have a natter, about life in general. I see one or two newcomers have joined in as well, which is lovely. 

I've just got two grandkids and adore them. I seem to be able to do more with them than I did with my own kids. I guess being retired helps. They are only 6 and 10. We've kept my diagnosis from them, I've heard the eldest mention cancer, and he's frightened of it.  Unfortunately my health and age has put a stop to me playing footy with him for hours. When we have picnics at the park, I now take one of his mates along with us. Whilst they're running the legs of each other, I can sit back, spectating and having yet another sarnie. πŸ˜„

Edited by member 09 Mar 2024 at 13:08  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 10:36

Regarding the retirement chat: I was 62 when is was diagnosed and was in a bad place for a while and probable not 100% on it at work although everyone was great and they allowed me to leave early for my RT everyday. I have worked as a consultant/agency since 1978 and always thought i’d created enough little ‘secret ways’ that I was indispensable. Ha ha , what a laugh. Our boss came over from Germany and told us all we were safe and then 1 day later my English boss called me in and gave me 10 days notice. I was the oldest and with the cancer he thought i’d be the first to go anyway. Bit of a blow as I wasn’t ready, mentally or financially. We had a big house (too big after the kids left) and a rental property but I couldn’t really sustain the big house without a reasonable income. So we decided to sell up and move to the rental , which was only a 100m away anyway. Been here a couple of years and wished we’d done it earlier. The new house is much newer and smaller and so easy to live in. We bought a new place to rent out for an income as being Ltd company all my working life my pension wasn’t up to much. 

In retrospect I’m happy with how its worked out , although my wife went back to her old job part time as they conveniently asked her back. I don’t know how I did stuff whilst working full time.

With careful planning we can still have nice holidays and days out etc.  We do consider ourselves lucky in that regard. But I still worry about when I’m gone and my wife has to mange on her own without my state pension etc. So its a juggling act really between enjoying life now and making sure I leave enough behind.

So, if you are in any position to retire I would do it. I did love my job and miss the chaps and the coffee ! …. But its like a new stage of life being retired and I do still catch up with some of the guys. And as we all find out there’s only so many days in a life and we need to use them as best we can.

So got some jobs to do now. Shame the suns not out , bit miserable here, but at least its not raining.

Take care guys, ( AV 0 Spurs 4 😜)

Phil

Edited by member 11 Mar 2024 at 18:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 10:36

Wow! The rugby games were sensational. A special well done to Italy and England. I also enjoyed the Liverpool and Man City game. Truly great weekend of sport!

Cheltenham this week.

Morning Phil, we must have cross posted.

Your, "But its like a new stage of life being retired and I do still catch up with some of the guys. And as we all find out there’s only so many days in a life and we need to use them as best we can." Is so true.

I still meet up with a few of my old work mates. Always in pubs. No matter how much we try to avoid it, we always end up discussing health issues and coming to the conclusion, that we're all clapped out wrecks.πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by member 11 Mar 2024 at 11:53  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 11 Mar 2024 at 11:56

No matter how much we try to avoid it, we always end up discussing health issues and coming to the conclusion, that we're all clapped out wrecks.πŸ˜ƒ

So true 🀣🀣… 

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 01:27

What are your thoughts on retirement! I'm now 60, advanced prostate cancer, 2 years in and ok at the moment and my original prognosis was 2 to 5 years. Whilst I enjoy my part time teaching, at some time I'm going to crumble. When should you give up and enjoy your leisure (pints of cider!)? Don't want to wait so long that I'm forced by the cancer to retire and have little health to enjoy what's left. 

Comments on a post card! Including banter - we are in the pub after all!

Just to be boring for a moment - if you are a member of the Teachers' Pension Service, you probably need to speak to your union and get some financial advice. A teacher with long membership and an incurable diagnosis can sometimes get the full enhancement but you have to balance that against the 'death in service' payout that you would lose. When I was in the LA, we were always careful to balance the two projected figures before someone retired in these circumstances. The downside of taking ER used to be that teachers weren't allowed to do supply if they had gone on ill health but that may have changed more recently?   

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 01:34

I keep reading that one in eight men will get this disease, but often wonder where they get this figure from. Are one in eight men actually diagnosed with the disease or are there thousands of men wandering around unaware they've got it. How many will die never knowing they had it?

One in eight is the number that are diagnosed in this country. A large scale piece of EU research showed that 50% of men in their 50s, 60% of men in their 60s and 70% of men in their 70s had some prostate cancer but most weren't diagnosed - presumably because they died of other causes. The data came from the post mortems of thousands of men of all ages - cause of death might have been a road accident, another cancer, flu .... but there was some cancer in their prostate. 

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 08:16

One in eight is the number that are diagnosed in this country. A large scale piece of EU research showed that 50% of men in their 50s, 60% of men in their 60s and 70% of men in their 70s had some prostate cancer but most weren't diagnosed - presumably because they died of other causes. The data came from the post mortems of thousands of men of all ages - cause of death might have been a road accident, another cancer, flu .... but there was some cancer in their prostate.

I assume we could safely assume the same age related prostate cancer prevalence would apply to men dying of natural causes.

Which means 50% of men dying over 50 years have some degree of prostate cancer. Which adds weight to my question how many of these tootle through life never knowing they had it?

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 11:02

Regarding testing. I was sent to a 1 stop clinic when my PSA was tested at 25 after a urine infection. My GP said it was urgent. The clinic did a camera up as far as my bladder and a few other tests and said all appears ok , just get another test in a few months. I skipped out of there . That was July 2017. Had another test late November and PSA was still 25 so the sh*t hit the fan and everything was very quickly done then. Biopsy etc… and in early January they confirmed PCa locally advanced and I’m now incurable. 
I wonder if they’d picked it up in the July whether they could have cured me 🀷‍♂️. Will never know. 
Can’t remember if my clinic included an MRI πŸ€”… Not sure they still do the clinic. Good idea but has to include all the correct tests. 

Phil

User
Posted 12 Mar 2024 at 14:55

Afternoon all. Haven't dropped in for a few days so thought I would call by and say hello! Nothing much to report. I'm looking after my elderly mother for a few days having collected her on Mothering Sunday. Lots of cancer related talk but not mine this time, just hers. On the good news side, my younger brother got his follow up scan results back yesterday (following major surgery and chemo) and it was all clear! Nice to get some positive news.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Ian.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 12:37

I wonder if they’d picked it up in the July whether they could have cured me 🀷‍♂️. Will never know. 
Can’t remember if my clinic included an MRI πŸ€”… Not sure they still do the clinic. Good idea but has to include all the correct tests. 

Hi Phil,

With this disease, there seems to be no certainties, so many varying outcomes, and ifs and buts. Whenever I used to say, "What if I'd.......?" or "If only I'd.......?", my dad would reply, "If your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle."

Edited by member 15 Mar 2024 at 07:12  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 12:56

Afternoon all. Haven't dropped in for a few days so thought I would call by and say hello! Nothing much to report. I'm looking after my elderly mother for a few days having collected her on Mothering Sunday. Lots of cancer related talk but not mine this time, just hers. On the good news side, my younger brother got his follow up scan results back yesterday (following major surgery and chemo) and it was all clear! Nice to get some positive news.

Great news about your brother. If you don't mind me asking, is it the same curse we've got? My younger brother had our disease, diagnosed a couple of years before me. He went with RT/HT and seems to have made a decent recovery.

I hope your mum is OK. My mum was 100 years old this January. Immediately after dad died, me and my brother shared caring for her at our respective homes for six years. Caring although rewarding is very exhausting. With both our health issues and mum's health also steadily declining, a year ago, we had to put her in a local care home, but she's still doing fine. She can still bend down and touch her toes, I'm 2 feet away from managing that.

I wish I knew how to quote posts from two different posters in a single reply. Responding to each separately, is boosting my post count. Folk will start thinking that I'm an addict. πŸ˜„

User
Posted 13 Mar 2024 at 13:29

Great news about your brother. If you don't mind me asking, is it the same curse we've got? My younger brother had our disease, diagnosed a couple of years before me. He went with RT/HT and seems to have made a decent recovery.

Hi mate

No, he has oesophageal cancer. Had surgery to remove the bottom of his oesophagus and the top of his stomach, plus 2 rounds of chemo. Hopefully ok now, but has been pretty rough. Mum isn't too bad cheers. She has terminal bowel cancer which is quite advanced, but she is doing ok all things considered. Add my late dad's prostate cancer and now mine into the mix, and its a bit of a family failing!

Still, on the positive side, mum is 86 next week, which we didn't think she'd make, and my brother is currently in remission, so things could be far worse πŸ‘

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 06:08

Still, on the positive side, mum is 86 next week, which we didn't think she'd make, and my brother is currently in remission, so things could be far worse πŸ‘

Great positive attitude mate and best of luck with your next results.

I've been in the real pub, or in my case working man's club, for the past three days. Been getting on the train at 11:30 everyday into town and having a few whilst nattering with mates and watching the horse racing at Cheltenham. I catch the 18:00 train home, via the chippy. I am a man of simple pleasures.

Luckily I've got an understanding wife.

Incidentally, I've changed from drinking lager to mild and can easily have 6 or 7 without any bladder problems. I've convinced the OH that it's good physio for the old waterworks.

I only bet small just to add a bit of interest to watching the racing. I've got a bookies app on my phone. Yesterday, I picked four horses and did a £1 ew accumulator. No winners but 3 were placed, the fourth horse however, only finished 5th. Unlucky I thought.

On the train home I was checking my phone and was completely surprised that the bookies I'm with were paying ew on the first 5 in the race where my horse had come fifth and that the ew accumulator had paid just under 150 quid. Not a fortune I know, but better than a kick up the *rse.

Thank heavens I hadn't discovered my win in the Club, I'd have probably over celebrated and missed the last train home.

I think I shall reinvest with another bet today. I'll treat my mates to a couple of pints and treat myself to an extra battered sausage on the way home this evening.

I intend keeping the wife sweet with a couple of bottles of vino and a box of chocs.

Life's good when you're winning.😁

PS: It was a close shave travelling back yesterday. Both loo doors on the train were knackered and at half way I felt nature was calling. Fortunately it's only a 15 minute journey I just managed to hold on. I had to jog the 300 yards home and burst through the front door like a drugs bust and run upstairs to the toilet before they could flush the evidence away.

Edited by member 15 Mar 2024 at 06:44  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 09:04

Congratulations on your win.

The virtual beers in the virtual pub are on you then πŸ‘πŸΌ

Cheers. 

Kev.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 09:38

What you having mate?

Do you want a virtual packet of crisps, or peanuts or a pickled egg with it?

By the way. The landlord's thinking of taking down the Durex machine, in the gents.  No-one's using it.

Edited by member 15 Mar 2024 at 09:48  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 10:40

What you having mate?

Do you want a virtual packet of crisps, or peanuts or a pickled egg with it?

By the way. The landlord's thinking of taking down the Durex machine, in the gents.  No-one's using it.

I'll have a virtual pint of Adnams and a virtual packet of peanus please. 

Hopefully they'll install a viagra machine in the gents. 

Cheers!

User
Posted 19 Mar 2024 at 11:06

It was pleasantly warm here yesterday. Managed to get a couple of hours out in the garden. The ground's still sodden and I've never seen so much moss in the lawn. It must be due to the damp. Not so sunny today, but they are forecasting it to brighten up this arvo. Let's hope so.