I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

psa reading

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 20:28
i have recently had a blood test and my psa was 6.2 i am 54 years old and i believe this is high?

thankyou

User
Posted 25 Mar 2015 at 23:31

Hi Tony,
I see from your profile that you are concerned about having PCa. On the face of it your PSA is somewhat high for a man of your age unless there are reasons other than PCa which might well be the case. This could be due entirely or in part due to a urinary infection, enlarged Prostate or PIN which may or may not develop into gradeable cancer or for other reasons. You don't say whether you had symptoms which led to your having a PSA test or what your GP has said as the way forward. Has urine sample been tested because if you have an infection you are likely to be given antibiotics and a subsequent PSA done? You might have your PSA monitored for a time. If a UTI is ruled out you may be referred to a Urologist and have a biopsy and scan.

The process may take some time but don't jump to conclusions. On the basis of the little information you have given and your PSA of 6.2, it is much too early to conclude you have PCa.

Barry
User
Posted 26 Mar 2015 at 07:05

Hello Tony
As Barry has said it all I'll stick to "Welcome"

Don't assume anything, until you've been told something!

If you are really worried then give more details so somebody can help you.

Best Wishes
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Mar 2015 at 23:43

Tony,
It could be all manner of things causing your 'raised' PSA, so wait until the test results are in, try not to worry too much just yet.

Chris.

PS. Have you downloaded or asked PCUK for the 'Toolkit' it has some valuable info.