I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA scores

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 11:27

Is it possible to have advanced cancer with a PSA of 2.4 ? 

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 13:33
Yes.

Take advice from a professional, who if they think there is a chance of The Big C, will undertake other tests such as a digital rectal examination, MRI and biopsy.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 13:36

Hi Rennie, welcome to the forum.

The short answer to your question is yes. Some prostate cancers do not produce as much PSA as others, this is one of the reasons the PSA test cannot by itself be used as a diagnosis of prostate cancer.

The only way to confirm prostate cancer is by biopsy. mpMRI and CT plus a bone scan will tell if it is local, locally advanced or advanced.

For most people at your age a PSA of 2.4 would probably be within the normal range.

Are you undergoing tests for PC?

Ido4

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 19:31

I have a colonoscopy and hopefully a CT scan lined up. But it’s all been very slow and I really am at a loss how to go forward. I have some scary symptoms, burning in the spin at night, leg pain and bowel troubles. I am into this over two months now, the symptoms started  slowly but now they have developed. I live in London and my health centre is rather chaotic. 

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 22:55
Yes, it is, particularly with some types of PCa but overall the risk with such a low PSA of it being advanced is fairly small. However, an important thing to note is that timely diagnosis and treatment as appropriate does provide the best chance of eradicating any PCa, Suggest you discuss with your GP about getting a referral if s/he has no answers to your symptoms.
Barry
User
Posted 22 Nov 2019 at 08:01

I appreciate your support 

User
Posted 22 Nov 2019 at 08:03

Many thanks for your advice I appreciate it