I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Urethral Stricture

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 13:45
I had surgery for a stricture in December 2013 but have experianced an another slow build up of scar tissue that resulted in a visit to A&E a few weeks ago as my urine retention had reached a point where I had to be catheterised. Rather that opt for a repeat of the stricture widening procedure my urologist is considering a urethral reconstruction where they replace the blocked section with skin tissue from the inside of the mouth. I had some x-rays done on Monday and am now waiting for a decision on next steps.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any experiance of the reconstruction procedure, recovery times and effectiveness.

Thanks.
User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 20:58

Bumping this for Andrew to see if anyone can help

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 22:04
Andrew. Have a look at my profile, I only have access to my phone at present but will get back too you sunday. Thanks chris
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 17:41
Andrew Not sure if your urethral stricture is the same as my bladder neck stricture but someone on here is bound to know. Go to find conversation and search for " bladder neck " you will find a few stories of strictures following Da Vinci surgery. The bladder neck stretch or dilatation can take three or four attempts to sort the problem, my flow rate seems to have settled at about 10 ml / sec I did get down to 1.5 m/sec but managed to have the dilatation done quite quickly. I have been performing intermittent self dilatation for the last few months although getting the catheter in has been a bit hit and miss lately. Like another member not keen of an incision into the scar tissue and if my rate stays at 10 ml/ sec I will be quite happy. Like forward to hearing any news on procedure you are considering.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 18 May 2015 at 10:33
Many thanks Chris.

I understand my stricture is further down in the urethra itself as opposed to the bladder neck but my initial treatment seems to be the same as yours so perhaps they'll try another stretch rather than a more ellaborate reconstructive approach. If I can ever get a reply to one of my voicemails to the hospital who knows I may find out!

Andrew