I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Food

User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 09:16
Hi. This is my first post. Has anyone changed their diet ?
User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 16:01

Here we go again. The diet enthusiasts seem blind to Lyn's point. It is one thing to reduce the incidence of PCa by adjusting diet. It is quite another thing to expect any impact on one's disease if one has PCa. Expect it and you will probably be disappointed and out of pocket because there is no proven effect, except perhaps the placebo one, that is to say a completely random and disconnected one!

Better by far to play safe with a balanced diet and regular exercise. That helps the heart and thus aids long life. Suits me!!

AC

User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 12:32

Yes quite a lot of members have changed their diet, some more than others. You can read Jane Plant’s books - she promotes the idea of giving up all red meat and dairy, but bear in mind that she is not medically trained and her theories have not been tested under research criteria.

You could order the Prostate Care Cookbook from Amazon - this is published by the Prostate Cancer Research charity and is based on research done a few years ago. Very similar principles but not as rigid as the Plant diet - avoid red meat and dairy where possible, and instead eat lots of soya, garlic, processed tomatoes, onions and oily fish, etc. Basically, a Mediterranean diet.

The big difference between popular belief and research findings is that while oncologists & scientists seem fairly convinced that changing the diet of young boys could prevent them from getting prostate cancer when they grow up, and there is a bit of research to suggest that eating certain foods can slow or speed up the progression of advanced PCa there is no research to support the idea that diet will make any difference at all to a man who is T1, T2 or whatever and having radical treatment.

I stopped John from eating any red meat or dairy when he was first diagnosed but eventually realised that as soon as my back is turned he cheats like mad. We are a bit more relaxed now except I won’t have any food wrapped in plastic in the house and only organic meat & eggs (a lot of the research has been focused on the growth hormones that exist naturally in milk and muscle meats or are given in factory-farming).

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 00:31

I think that while someone is having chemo, it is really important that they have what they fancy when they fancy it. There is no evidence that you changing what he eats or drinks will make any difference whatsoever to his cancer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 09:16
My husband’s appetite varies depending on the treatment he’s having. I’ve learnt that it is important to eat well but usually I play it by ear and ask hine what he fancies, sometimes he doesn’t want to eat but I go with the flow. From research different diets doesn’t affect the outcome.
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:04

I think I've gone through several stages with diet since my diagnosis in 2015. I love cheese and eggs but convinced myself that a cheese omelette would result in instant death! Of course it's rubbish and people who pursue fairly obscure diets do die of the cancer they were diagnosed with.

I'm now much more persuaded that a healthy diet with most food groups in moderation is the way forward along with exercise. I have reduced dairy, I have severely reduced red meat and cut back hard on processed meat. I use soy milk in cereal and in coffee but absolutely can't tolerate it in tea so I use ordinary milk then. I think my approach is now much more towards keeping myself as well as I can in order to better cope with what the disease throws at me.

Had a bacon buttie this morning - first bacon for 2 months and probably won't have it again for another 2 months but it was absolutely divine!

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:28

i went to the races last week and i could not find any healthy food,so i thought bugger it and i had chicken and mushroom pie mashed potato and mushy peas ,thought i was in heaven ha ha.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 19:07
I go along with you AC but sometimes people have a need to doing something towards their health and adjusting their diet is something that they can have a modicum of control over they can’t control the progress of their disease but do feel that they have some input. However my husband is not too keen on changing his eating habits but I got the book and guess what? He wasn’t over keen on changing the habits of a lifetime.,
User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 10:36

I'm with AC, Bluey and Lynn on this.

There's a wealth of evidence that various foods have an influence on avoiding cancer, others are known to increase the risk of cancer (processed meat, red meat have a cast-iron link to bowel cancer, for example).

But there is zero evidence that cutting out any foodstuff will reverse cancer - or taking soya - any more than stopping smoking will cure lung cancer. It's utter bunk.

If you 'starve the cancer', you equally starve your body at the same time.

Much better to get exercise, sleep, a good diet and food you enjoy: an 'otherwise healthy' person with cancer has a MUCH better chance of a good outcome than a nutritionally deprived ball of anxiety.

And as a world famous oncologist taught me ... "people with cancer who take on these faddy diets never get depressed. Mind you, if you're up at six slicing turnips for your first of six meals of raw vegetables, you don't have time to be depressed".

I agree that many people with cancer feel they have no control, and obsessing about food can be a substitute. But you can have that control and use it sensibly, not lose your health - and your money - to snake-oil salesfolk.

Edited by member 23 Jan 2018 at 10:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Feb 2018 at 18:04

Pete, if you are happier having made those dietary changes, all well and good. Do bear in mind however, that for those of us who are surviving prostate cancer, there is no evidence that dietary changes make any difference to the progression of the disease. The main thing to bear in mind is the importance of dying with it and not of it, hence the usual advice to adopt measures that are good for your heart - balanced diet, regular gentle exercise and positive thinking!

User
Posted 11 Feb 2018 at 20:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I didn't understand the plastic bag part of Lyn's post.

Hi Pete,

Plastic wrapping to food and plastic water bottles are believed to pass on hormone imitators like BPA which may feed/instigate tumours.

G

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 12:32

Yes quite a lot of members have changed their diet, some more than others. You can read Jane Plant’s books - she promotes the idea of giving up all red meat and dairy, but bear in mind that she is not medically trained and her theories have not been tested under research criteria.

You could order the Prostate Care Cookbook from Amazon - this is published by the Prostate Cancer Research charity and is based on research done a few years ago. Very similar principles but not as rigid as the Plant diet - avoid red meat and dairy where possible, and instead eat lots of soya, garlic, processed tomatoes, onions and oily fish, etc. Basically, a Mediterranean diet.

The big difference between popular belief and research findings is that while oncologists & scientists seem fairly convinced that changing the diet of young boys could prevent them from getting prostate cancer when they grow up, and there is a bit of research to suggest that eating certain foods can slow or speed up the progression of advanced PCa there is no research to support the idea that diet will make any difference at all to a man who is T1, T2 or whatever and having radical treatment.

I stopped John from eating any red meat or dairy when he was first diagnosed but eventually realised that as soon as my back is turned he cheats like mad. We are a bit more relaxed now except I won’t have any food wrapped in plastic in the house and only organic meat & eggs (a lot of the research has been focused on the growth hormones that exist naturally in milk and muscle meats or are given in factory-farming).

User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 19:40

+1 for the Prostate Care Cookbook, also available from Ebay, buy it now, new and 'pre-owned.'

Also 'Eat and Heal' by FC&A Medical Publishing, as above, good general book on healthy diet, with a section on PCa.

The recommendations are based on the low rates of PCa and breast cancer found in east Asia/China, as Jane Plant recognised.

Soy milk and soy based foods, green tea and their combination are shown in research to halt PCa cells.

Processed tomatoes, tom. paste, sun dried toms.

Cruciferous vegetables, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, Brussels, rocket etc  

Allium vegetables, onions, spring onions, shallots, leek, chives, garlic (full of anti-oxidants).

Beans peas and lentils

Oily fish

Vitamins D and E and Selenium

Turmeric, Pomegranate juice, Watermelon

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 16:01

Here we go again. The diet enthusiasts seem blind to Lyn's point. It is one thing to reduce the incidence of PCa by adjusting diet. It is quite another thing to expect any impact on one's disease if one has PCa. Expect it and you will probably be disappointed and out of pocket because there is no proven effect, except perhaps the placebo one, that is to say a completely random and disconnected one!

Better by far to play safe with a balanced diet and regular exercise. That helps the heart and thus aids long life. Suits me!!

AC

User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 19:07
I go along with you AC but sometimes people have a need to doing something towards their health and adjusting their diet is something that they can have a modicum of control over they can’t control the progress of their disease but do feel that they have some input. However my husband is not too keen on changing his eating habits but I got the book and guess what? He wasn’t over keen on changing the habits of a lifetime.,
User
Posted 21 Jan 2018 at 22:51
What We are finding hard is coming to terms with it and then having to change our whole diet. I’m trying but he is now on 1st chemo and just wants to eat whet he wants as he is feeling so rough. I’ve put him off having a cup of tea which he always enjoyed as I’ve been putting soya milk in it. Don’t know what way to turn and what to believe 😔
User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 00:31

I think that while someone is having chemo, it is really important that they have what they fancy when they fancy it. There is no evidence that you changing what he eats or drinks will make any difference whatsoever to his cancer.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2018 at 09:16
My husband’s appetite varies depending on the treatment he’s having. I’ve learnt that it is important to eat well but usually I play it by ear and ask hine what he fancies, sometimes he doesn’t want to eat but I go with the flow. From research different diets doesn’t affect the outcome.
User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 10:36

I'm with AC, Bluey and Lynn on this.

There's a wealth of evidence that various foods have an influence on avoiding cancer, others are known to increase the risk of cancer (processed meat, red meat have a cast-iron link to bowel cancer, for example).

But there is zero evidence that cutting out any foodstuff will reverse cancer - or taking soya - any more than stopping smoking will cure lung cancer. It's utter bunk.

If you 'starve the cancer', you equally starve your body at the same time.

Much better to get exercise, sleep, a good diet and food you enjoy: an 'otherwise healthy' person with cancer has a MUCH better chance of a good outcome than a nutritionally deprived ball of anxiety.

And as a world famous oncologist taught me ... "people with cancer who take on these faddy diets never get depressed. Mind you, if you're up at six slicing turnips for your first of six meals of raw vegetables, you don't have time to be depressed".

I agree that many people with cancer feel they have no control, and obsessing about food can be a substitute. But you can have that control and use it sensibly, not lose your health - and your money - to snake-oil salesfolk.

Edited by member 23 Jan 2018 at 10:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:04

I think I've gone through several stages with diet since my diagnosis in 2015. I love cheese and eggs but convinced myself that a cheese omelette would result in instant death! Of course it's rubbish and people who pursue fairly obscure diets do die of the cancer they were diagnosed with.

I'm now much more persuaded that a healthy diet with most food groups in moderation is the way forward along with exercise. I have reduced dairy, I have severely reduced red meat and cut back hard on processed meat. I use soy milk in cereal and in coffee but absolutely can't tolerate it in tea so I use ordinary milk then. I think my approach is now much more towards keeping myself as well as I can in order to better cope with what the disease throws at me.

Had a bacon buttie this morning - first bacon for 2 months and probably won't have it again for another 2 months but it was absolutely divine!

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:28

i went to the races last week and i could not find any healthy food,so i thought bugger it and i had chicken and mushroom pie mashed potato and mushy peas ,thought i was in heaven ha ha.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 18:13

I'd best not get started on the Kebab I had the other week then ...

User
Posted 11 Feb 2018 at 16:57

I've cut back on cheese and milk, I very rarely have red meat anyway. I've also significantly cut back on alcohol.  I didn't think eggs were in the cut back list.  I keep thinking that in theory I've no prostate cells so it's irrelevant but on the other hand I might have some cells and they might be bad ones.

Lately there are 2 new topics.  One is asparagine in asparagus having shown in mice that it helps breast cancer cells to metastise.  There was mention of prostate in the study as well.  Aspargine is in a lot of foods and the doctors say it's early days in the study and they're not suggesting anyone cut out asparagus.  Anyway we've just thrown some asparagus out although I had a load last week.

There is also Dr Longo's fasting diet which has a relationship to a theory by a lady called Dr Blackburn, who won a Nobel Prize for her work, who says fasting protects telomeres which protect the chromosomes from ageing and damage.  A journalist in the Times, called Jenni Russell, supports the 3 day fasting, 800 calories, she says it changed her life as she had an auto immune illness and had cancer.

In general moderation is my plan, I'm cutting nothing out completely.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2018 at 18:04

Pete, if you are happier having made those dietary changes, all well and good. Do bear in mind however, that for those of us who are surviving prostate cancer, there is no evidence that dietary changes make any difference to the progression of the disease. The main thing to bear in mind is the importance of dying with it and not of it, hence the usual advice to adopt measures that are good for your heart - balanced diet, regular gentle exercise and positive thinking!

User
Posted 11 Feb 2018 at 19:54

I’ve made a few dietary changes but have generally always had a balanced diet. I’ve reduced red meat substantially and mainly cut out processed meat (surely some processes are good?) and I bought a juicer so that I can take a lot of veg that I wouldn’t otherwise eat but in juice form.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2018 at 20:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Pete,

Plastic wrapping to food and plastic water bottles are believed to pass on hormone imitators like BPA which may feed/instigate tumours.

G

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 00:21

Yes - cling film and shrinkwrap being my worst nightmares. Organic apples presealed in plastic wrapping = misnomer :-(

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 11:41

Hi

Contrary to what some people here are saying.....there is a LOT of evidence that changing your diet (to a Japanese style diet) can have a positive effect on the progression of PC.

1. Japanese men have a fraction of PC-deaths compared to Western men.....Japanese men have the SAME incidence of PC as Western men but they do not die at the same rates (Mets not progressing).

When Japanese men relocate to the West and adopt a Western diet their rates of PC deaths increase to match Western men.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2016/6/How-to-Reverse-Markers-of-Prostate-Cancer/Page-01

2. Vegans have lower (35%) rates of Prostate Cancer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/vegan-diet-can-cut-risk-of-prostate-cancer-by-35-per-cent-a6909091.html

Do your homework....there is plenty of evidence out there about Soy, Green tea, Meat consumption etc.....effects on PC.

Good luck!

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 21:23

Bill in Wales, You are a lucky man to have had effective treatment for your PCa through a Stampede trial. At least you don't claim that the dietary changes you advocate got your PSA to under 0.1!

I don't know why you intervened in this discussion with two points which fail to address the essential fact. Your first point is a piece from an American Lifestyle magazine with advertising by suppliers of food supplements. It reminded me of Readers Digest and I'd trust it in this debate about as much. I read the whole of the article you quoted and found the flow of logic strange to say the least, muddling as it did the whole debate about PSA testing with dietary questions. The second point is about preventing prostate cancer, not treating it once diagnosed. Neither is a piece of evidence that proves that dietary changes can treat prostate cancer. People are better off doing as you did, relying upon proven medication. When someone writes in a serious urological journal about a peer reviewed, properly conducted trial that proves snake oil helps treat prostate cancer, then I'll embrace the new truth.

One of the issues with a site such as this is that people turn to it for help when they are most worried and vulnerable. It is incumbent on us all not to mislead such folk and to give genuine and effective support in a serious forum.

I wish you well in your battle, successful so far, against this disease. For so many others, the battle is far from won.

AC

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 22:26

Two ends of the spectrum both using very strong language.... and the rest of us find ourselves somewhere in between :-/

User
Posted 13 Feb 2018 at 09:38

Hi AC

"At least you don't claim that the dietary changes you advocate got your PSA to under 0.1!"

Not yet. Until I stop Zoladex (in a couple of years) I won't know what is affecting what.  It would indeed be VERY interesting if my PSA remains undetectable six months AFTER my Zoladex treatment is over! Would you believe it then?

The links that I provided are just examples......There are multitude of studies (by reputable institutions) that link dietary changes to the progression of PC....ie; in the end of the day....Diets that lower your Testosterone.

It is interesting that you did NOT touch the subject of Japanese men and their diet I mentioned....you chose instead to use the links I provided to contradict my argument.

Regards