I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SABR

User
Posted 23 Sep 2018 at 14:45

My OH, has three metastases, two on his spine and one on his rib, he has no bone pain. The hospital is going to SABR these mets in a couple of weeks time. Does anyone have any experience of this treatment, I gather  it is fairly new as England NHS are trailing it.

Sheila

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 23:07
SABR is RT with Photons which is what you get in standard EBRT except that with SABR the beam is more precisely concentrated into a smaller area. It may be possible to radiate lymph nodes if the route to what is affected may not have suffered a high degree of damage when EBRT was previously damaged. This is based on what the Marsden told me when it was thought one of my nodes was affected. They did ask if I could ascertain the paths that the original RT treatment took which was a pretty tall order bearing in mind it was done in Germany back in 2008. In transpired from my PSMA scan that nodes were not involvement but there was still some cancer in my Prostate but in view of the high level of RT previously administered to it, would not be happy giving further RT to the Prostate.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Oct 2018 at 16:29

Hi, my OH has now had his three metastases done with the SABR machine, without problems. I did ask if he was allowed more doses, they said not before a six month break, then after that possibility more SABR doses if needed. Going for a review 6 to 8 weeks time. 

Sheila

User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 22:42
Sure I have read posts on here about it but I can't be sure. It will a new and better targeted radio therapy I assume.
User
Posted 25 Sep 2018 at 11:40

Hi Sheila

Yes I was the first to have SABR to the bone at the QE in Birmingham as part of a trial. I had initially two areas treated in the pelvis consisting of 3 treatments of 10gy which was successful in eliminating the cancer in that area, but unfortunately it reappeared in my 4th left rib which was also treated successfully, but yet again it then went to my 4th right rib, which they wouldn't treat as I received the max 3 treatments allowed. I believe that at the QE they also use cyberknife if the spine is involved. I found that the pain resulting from the mets to the pelvis went away quite quickly so I hope your OH has the same result. Having talked to the trial team since, it seems that the results from this treatment is now being colated and the figures look promising so hopefully it will then be rolled out to benefit more people. Also just to put your mind at rest it is totally painless.

All the best

Roy

User
Posted 25 Sep 2018 at 18:27

Hi Sheila

the machine that treated me is the Elekta Versa HD linear accelerator.

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/news/new-radiotherapy-room.htm

The amount of treatments allowed may be down to cost, as in America they will treat upto 5 areas of spread.

all the best

Roy

Edited by moderator 25 Oct 2023 at 09:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Sep 2018 at 08:58
There must also be a limit to the amount of radiation it is felt that can be safely given as radiation is accumulative.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Oct 2018 at 16:33
Sounds like some good news to me!
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Sep 2018 at 22:42
Sure I have read posts on here about it but I can't be sure. It will a new and better targeted radio therapy I assume.
User
Posted 25 Sep 2018 at 11:40

Hi Sheila

Yes I was the first to have SABR to the bone at the QE in Birmingham as part of a trial. I had initially two areas treated in the pelvis consisting of 3 treatments of 10gy which was successful in eliminating the cancer in that area, but unfortunately it reappeared in my 4th left rib which was also treated successfully, but yet again it then went to my 4th right rib, which they wouldn't treat as I received the max 3 treatments allowed. I believe that at the QE they also use cyberknife if the spine is involved. I found that the pain resulting from the mets to the pelvis went away quite quickly so I hope your OH has the same result. Having talked to the trial team since, it seems that the results from this treatment is now being colated and the figures look promising so hopefully it will then be rolled out to benefit more people. Also just to put your mind at rest it is totally painless.

All the best

Roy

User
Posted 25 Sep 2018 at 17:47

Thank you  Roy for sharing your experience, the Royal Surrey, have a newish machine, so hopefully this sort out  these 3 mets , but if more pop up, it will be abiraterone, Shame they can"t do more if it so successful.

Sheila

User
Posted 25 Sep 2018 at 18:27

Hi Sheila

the machine that treated me is the Elekta Versa HD linear accelerator.

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/news/new-radiotherapy-room.htm

The amount of treatments allowed may be down to cost, as in America they will treat upto 5 areas of spread.

all the best

Roy

Edited by moderator 25 Oct 2023 at 09:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Sep 2018 at 08:58
There must also be a limit to the amount of radiation it is felt that can be safely given as radiation is accumulative.
Barry
User
Posted 27 Sep 2018 at 21:53

Hi RoyL,  You have a thorough profile.  You seem to have had about 130gy of radiation comprising 66 for a salvage RT and another 60 for individual point treatments.  Does that mean any one area can't have too much radiation rather than an amount overall per person.  I've not had RT but have wondered how the limits work.   Regards Peter

User
Posted 27 Sep 2018 at 22:25

Hi Peter

i saw my Onco today and asked if the amount of radiation I received was the reason I could not have anymore SABR treatment, to which he replied that the reason it was limited was the trial was being funded by the hospital charity and the criteria was based on the money available. He said that he is aware of it being used 10 times in one patient and due to the fact that the beam is so focused the damage it may cause is lessened as it is concentrated on a very small area.

all the best 

Roy 

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 14:24
Hi all,

Has anybody had SABR on their lymph nodes?

I’ve read through this conversation and it looks like SABR has only been used on mets on the bones amongst this group. I’ve been told that I might be having SABR soon for spread into my lymph nodes, depending on the results from a forthcoming Choline PET Scan.

I had a PET Scan at the start of 2015 and I’ve now been referred for another one, partly down to my series of small but steady PSA increases (latest is up to 0.732 - my profile explains more) but also due to some suspect enlarged lymph nodes somewhere inside my upper pelvic area that an MRI I had a couple of months ago revealed. Those should have been around 10mm in diameter but mine varied between 15mm and 17mm. I should have asked if 50% to 70% more than normal is massive or no big deal, but I forgot.

I’ve had radiotherapy before in both 2014 and 2015, but not SABR. In 2014 I had it on my prostate bed and in 2015 on my pelvic lymph nodes, both times a bit lower than where the latest suspect lymph nodes are.

I wondered if and how SABR was different as regards how it’s done and side effects. Any info welcome.

Thanks.

Jim

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 23:07
SABR is RT with Photons which is what you get in standard EBRT except that with SABR the beam is more precisely concentrated into a smaller area. It may be possible to radiate lymph nodes if the route to what is affected may not have suffered a high degree of damage when EBRT was previously damaged. This is based on what the Marsden told me when it was thought one of my nodes was affected. They did ask if I could ascertain the paths that the original RT treatment took which was a pretty tall order bearing in mind it was done in Germany back in 2008. In transpired from my PSMA scan that nodes were not involvement but there was still some cancer in my Prostate but in view of the high level of RT previously administered to it, would not be happy giving further RT to the Prostate.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 23:16
Thanks Barry. I’ve had the same oncologist all the way through so she’d be able to tell from my notes if the area to be irradiated had already been done. She did the same for my second load of RT in 2015.

Jim

User
Posted 19 Oct 2018 at 16:29

Hi, my OH has now had his three metastases done with the SABR machine, without problems. I did ask if he was allowed more doses, they said not before a six month break, then after that possibility more SABR doses if needed. Going for a review 6 to 8 weeks time. 

Sheila

User
Posted 19 Oct 2018 at 16:33
Sounds like some good news to me!