I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

LDR Brachytherapy

User
Posted 09 Jun 2021 at 21:38

Having looked at all the options and side effects, I decided that LRD Brachytherapy was for me.  I have been luck to have been caught early and have high hopes of a successful outcome.  So today I ended up in City Hospital Belfast at 0730 this morning.  I was second on the waiting list so was taken down to theatre at about 1040.  Following an epidural, the procedure commenced eventually planting 72 seeds.  By 1145 I was back in the recovery room and half an hour later, in my room. 

The procedure was painless.  Would that I could have said the same for my earlier biopsy!  I has to wait to get the feeling back in my legs before the cathether was removed.  I was glad to get rid of the catheter as it was becoming uncomfortable.   I was able to pee not long afterwards, and clutching a bag of post op meds and my shiny new radiation card, I was allowed home at about 1530.

Once home and coming off the adrenalin high, I fell asleep.  I woke after a few hours and not thinking, swung my legs off my bed to get up.  Big mistake.  Boy did that bite!  Lesson learned.  Painkillers taken and a further visit to the loo soon settled me down.

I know it is the first day, but it feels right to have chosen this path.  Now to see what (if any) side effects manifest.  It is an interesting journey and certainly one that I never thought I would be making.  I am endebted to my Wife and my GP for actions taken.  Had I not listened and had they not acted, I shudder to think what the future would hold for me.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2021 at 08:20

Thanks for posting this as I’m due to have Brachytherapy next month, with epidural. I’m encouraged that you’re posting this the same day as your procedure! Good luck over the next few weeks 👍