Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Proctitis

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 15:21

Hi All 

8 months after completing Radiotherapy I noticed blood in my stool. Blood results showed a reading of 200ug and was referred to consultant. I was sent for Colonoscopy which showed Radiation Proctitis. Waiting for appointment for treatment but in the interim I wondered if anyone has been diagnosed the same and what treatment / resolution. Obviously also worried that this condition could develop into a secondary cancer etc - thanks

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 16:38

Stavros, quite common situation after RT or SRT I had the dreaded colonoscopy, I actually had the CT virtual colonoscopy, the procedure is slightly better but the preparation is the same. I didn't have any treatment for the bowels , eventually it settled down.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 21:28

Thanks Colwickchris

Can i just ask how long following your radiotherapy did you notice blood in stool or get diagnosed with Proctitis?

Stavros

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 21:36

I've had this for almost 4 years, starting 5 months after RT.

In my case it's painless, doesn't cause incontinence, and not bad enough to cause anemia, and has no impact on QoL, so I was told it was harmless and didn't need treating unless I particularly wanted it treating. They did check to see it wasn't bowel cancer. I tried a steroid foam enema, but it didn't do anything. It seems to be reducing in quantity and frequency all by itself over last few months. I've never heard any suggestion proctitis might cause bowel cancer, but I did wonder if it might mask bowel cancer since I'm not going to notice any bleeding from elsewhere.

I did do a FIT test (poo in a stick job). I waited until no visible bleeding for a couple days and the test came back clear, which should have ruled out any additional bleeding further back in my GI tract, which often isn't as visible.

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 22:04

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Colwickchris

Can i just ask how long following your radiotherapy did you notice blood in stool or get diagnosed with Proctitis?

Stavros

[/qruote]

Stavros, it was all a long time ago and I don't seem to have recorded it in my profile. I had the colonoscopy about 14 months after SRT, the blood probably started about 12 months after SRT. I don't think I was actually diagnosed with proctitis. I suffered more serious damage to my bladder, apparently very rare.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2023 at 23:14

Ok many thanks for sharing your story👍