Error

A place to have a chat.

User
Posted 31 Jul 2024 at 19:57

You were disqualified for missing out the run.πŸƒ‍♂️

Edited by member 31 Jul 2024 at 20:03  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 31 Jul 2024 at 22:15

Great news on the results Adrian! I was wondering how you got on. Might not see you in here for a pint tonight then if you get lucky!

Ian.

User
Posted 31 Jul 2024 at 22:47

Cheers Ian.

I can't lie lads.

If today was a footy match, the result was:

Stella Artois 7                 Invicorp 0

πŸ₯΄

User
Posted 31 Jul 2024 at 22:55

Bloody hell mate, it would have taken me more than an invicorp after 7 wife beaters, even before the op. Good effort!

User
Posted 01 Aug 2024 at 09:43

Hi Ian.

Other events, apart from almost a gallon of Stella, scuppered my Invicorp plans. My daughter and grandkids visited late afternoon and stayed for a couple of hours. She wanted to give me a "You're beating cancer" cuddle.

Incidentally, the grandkids don't know anything about it. When we went swimming a few months ago. They noticed my op entry scars. I told them they were bullet holes from when I was in the Army. No wonder I'm their hero. πŸ˜‚

Anyway just after they left, one of my wife's pals 'just popped in for ten minutes' to discuss women's problems. Three hours, and two bottles of wine later, she left and staggered home. Mind you, I can't criticise ladies spending time dicussing their problems when I spend hours every week on here discussing ours.

By the time her pal left, Invicorp was the last thing I needed. 

This is the problem with injections you need appropriate times to fit them in. It's probably why I've stockpiled. There are so many packets in the fridge that there's hardly any room for the milk, but at least it seems to stop the celery from wilting.

I've got enough Invicorp left to give Moby Dick a stiffy. 

Rant over.

How's your incontinence issue going? As I said at your stage I had very little control of my bladder. It took me a good 6/7 months to be pad free.

I've noticed, for the last week, or so I've not had to get up at all during the night for a pee. Admittedly I have very little to drink after 7pm. I have a wee before bed, about 11pm, and wake up about 7:30 am, then dash to the loo before I pee myself.

In fact my bladder is much better now than pre op. I hope it continues. Unbroken sleep is the key to happiness for me.

Edited by member 01 Aug 2024 at 13:03  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 01 Aug 2024 at 15:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Gutted I missed out on a medal though. πŸ˜•

Kev it’s the taking part that counts.. 🀣. 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2024 at 15:55

πŸ˜† Yeah, I went to the grandkids primary school sports day and was told there are no winners or losers. What's the point I thought. 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2024 at 15:57

πŸ˜† Yeah, I went to the grandkids primary school sports day and was told there are no winners or losers. What's the point I thought. 

Yeah, can’t upset anyone …

User
Posted 01 Aug 2024 at 16:04

It's terrible, you're not even allowed to trip up their opponents or 'question' a close finish. 😁

Edited by member 01 Aug 2024 at 17:20  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 05 Aug 2024 at 08:44

Busy start to the day. πŸ™„

Just reported two posts containing gaming links. 

Their new ploy is to put links into other people's posts quoted in their own.

I don't what anyone using my posts, they're already full of enough rubbish.

I'm surprised that the site allows people to edit other users posts.

We do seem to be getting more bogus posters.

Edited by member 05 Aug 2024 at 11:09  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 05 Aug 2024 at 13:23

Good work Adrian. You deserve a virtual pay rise for your efforts πŸ€“

I've had a busy start too, just finished plastering a wall in the downstairs loo. My first time and I'm quite pleased with my work, even though it would probably make a professional plasterer weep.

Another moment of joy is that a road that I've been driving has now been resurfaced! I've spent the last couple of years dodging potholes and patches of poor road surface. I don't have to swerve like a drunk driver anymore. Result!

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2024 at 14:39

Hi guys. Thought I’d check in as I’m sitting watching sailing and now track cycling from the Olympics. 
Still suffering with bloated belly and pain at the top LH side ( stomach ? ) . I’m on Lanzoprazole as prescribed by the chemo dept plus peppermint capsules and then just added Gaviscon Advance as advised by the chemo dept after I phoned them. It’s very uncomfortable and painful at times. I’ve even given up alcohol and just have zero alcohol wine and beer. 
Still getting the tiredness and weak legs but gotta take all this if I want to hang around for a little while yet.

Picking up oldest boy and his missus and the little lad on Thursday from Luton. They are here till Sunday and we are up at Tottenham Saturday for a friendly against Bayern Munich. 

Kev I tried plastering many years ago and I couldn’t even get it to stay on the wall. Luckily one of my oldest friends is a plasterer… ! When he does a wall it looks like glass… 

Take care guys, 

Phil

User
Posted 07 Aug 2024 at 19:13

Hi Phil, 

I can't imagine what you're going through, it must be quite an ordeal. Keep fighting mate, you're amazing!

I'll keep an eye out for your family's flight as it'll probably fly over my house on its way in to luton, just ask them not to flush the toilet 😁

Have a great few days together.

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2024 at 11:05

Hi Kev. I just re read my post and it does sound like a good old moan 🀣 … just thought I’d check in with how it is but got carried away ! 

I went out this morning to get a stair gate and get petrol and ended up falling over the kerb at the petrol station. I think I might need a bloody walking stick. Grazed my knee , cut my hand plus a few (more) bruises. I’m just not safe on my own… 

Ill get my boy to wave out the window of the plane. 😁

Take care 

Phil

Edited by member 08 Aug 2024 at 11:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Aug 2024 at 11:31

I went out this morning to get a stair gate and get petrol and ended up falling over the kerb at the petrol station.

Hi Phil.

Yesterday, after a few bevvies in the Club, I stumbled on a dodgy pathing slab whilst walking to the railway station to get home. I was carrying a tray of fish cake and chips. The fish cake was the only casualty. If it hadn't landed so close to some dog excrement, I'd have attempted to revive it.

Edited by member 08 Aug 2024 at 11:34  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 08 Aug 2024 at 11:35

Adrian I can picture you hoovering up the fish cake… I really like fish cakes too. We had fish & chips from our local Tuesday . I had Rock and chips. Always lovely from there. 

Phil

User
Posted 08 Aug 2024 at 15:31

Hey guys..

Were you injured tripping over dodgy paving?

Call our injury lawyers now!

😁

We'll have to set up a virtual A&E as well as a virtual pub at this rate. 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2024 at 17:29

I stumbled on a dodgy pathing slab

Dodgy paving slab. That old chestnut eh? Nah, honest, I must have had a dodgy pint πŸ˜‚

User
Posted 08 Aug 2024 at 17:32

If we have a virtual A&E, after the success of your downstairs loo walls,  I presume you'll do the plaster casts.πŸ™‚

Talking about getting plastered. I'm sure that if I claimed for the dodgy pavement, the council would rebut it with CCTV evidence of my state of inebriation. 😁

Edited by member 08 Aug 2024 at 19:03  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 09 Aug 2024 at 07:32

If we have a virtual A&E, after the success of your downstairs loo walls,  I presume you'll do the plaster casts.πŸ™‚

I'm happy to give it a try, I reckon I could plaster a broken limb to a sheet of plasterboard. Should be a reasonable surface for people to sign their get well messages. 

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2024 at 01:37

Hi Chaps, 

It’s late Friday night, the missus has a friend around, they are on their 6th bottle and putting the world to rights. Well, I mean I don’t want to be sexist or anything but I do my best to try not to over hear. Conversation goes from Climate change in one breath to high heals the next, Who am I? ( just the mug who pays for the bottles 😬), 

Anywsy, hope all is well with all you chaps. The footy season now underway, yippee! Also, just to mention, so to blot out the nosey neighbour as the missus keeps moaning about, (trouble is when you’re having breakfast and glance out the patio door, you look right across at the neighbours front door and she is always there.) So I have built two massive planters. I’m going to put these by the fence and attach a 7ft screen to them which will blot out the nosey neighbour once and for all πŸ˜€. Nearly ready, they will be in place and fully functional before kickoff tomorrow afternoon 😬. 

Goodnight Zebedee, goodnight Florence, night night Johnboy 😴😴😴

User
Posted 19 Aug 2024 at 09:19

Hi Spongebob.

Perhaps the ladies high heels/climate change conversation were linked. Maybe they find that the air quality was slightly better when they are that little bit taller.πŸ™‚

Unfortunately I've had another visit from the Grim Reaper. ⚰️ Like buses. None for ages, the two come along together.

My best mate has just passed away. He had a mild form of a rare disease, mucopolysaccharidosis,  which had affected him all his life. (74 years). 

The disease had very debilitating side effects, but he managed to work most of his life, and coped well.

For the last 15 years he was confined to a wheelchair and needed carers to help him go to the toilet and bathing. 

Despite these difficulties he had a fantastic sense of humour and a very cheerful dispostion. I used to visit him every week and always took a couple of bottles of real ale. Whilst my wife went shopping, me and him would sup our ale and put the world to rights.

I don't know if it was wrong of me, but during my cancer scare, I found visiting him helped me. I used to see the extreme difficulties he was dealing with daily and it put my problems into perspective.

I'll miss him very much.

Sorry for turning this conversation into a obituary column.πŸ™‚

Life goes on. It's great that the footy season has started. Can anyone other than Man City or Arsenal win the Premier League this year?

Edited by member 19 Aug 2024 at 10:36  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 19 Aug 2024 at 10:25

Hi Guys, 

Adrian, very sorry to hear about your best mate. That must be a blow. I can imagine you visiting helped you both through difficult times. Sometimes you just need to ramble on to someone , you dont need any feedback you just need to let it out.

SpongeBob did you manage to get the planters done before Kickoff?

We managed to wash the wife’s car yesterday although i think she did most of the work. I did the wheels and all the trim bits. Knocked me out so needed a little sleep in the afternoon.

Got as few little jobs today so hopefully i can stay awake..!

Suffering a bit after the last chemo. Metal mouth is absolutely disgusting and I didn’t even have any dinner yesterday as I couldn’t face it. Hoping it starts to ease off today. Even wine and beer taste awful….🀒

Hoping Spurs can give me a lift tonight against Leicester. Shame it’s on Sky as i’ve only got BT sport. Saw some good new recruits the other Saturday at Spurs vs Bayern. Young Bergvall (18) looks the business and i can see him getting a few starts in the Prem.

Right better get on with my jobs now before i nod off …

Take care guys,

Phil

Edited by member 19 Aug 2024 at 10:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Aug 2024 at 17:05

Sorry to hear about the passing of your best mate Adrian, it must be a huge loss. I don't think it was wrong that you sought support from him with your cancer, I think it's what friendship is all about. I'm sure he found great strength in your friendship too.

Spongebob, I think your neighbour is probably a bit envious of the six bottles of wine your wife and her friend had to themselves. 

Phil, yet more chemo! Not being able to enjoy food and drink must be a real kicker. At least you've got the footie to enjoy.  

We were busy yesterday attacking the inlaw's overgrown garden. Believe it or not, Harlow recycling centre has an appointments only system! We ended up having to take a car load of green waste over the border to Hertfordshire, it's bonkers! Rant over.

And today, I've just got back from the dentist where I had my first root canal. Almost an hour in the chair and I can't feel half my face now. I have to go back in three weeks to finish the job with a crown. It's costing me the price of a holiday for two, ouch!

Cheers everyone. 

Kev.

User
Posted 19 Aug 2024 at 17:17

Hi Chaps,

Very sorry to hear about more grief for you Adrian, the dealer has a habit of dealing out crap cards at times - chin up, here's hoping for some good times to come 🀞.

Yes, Phil, the planters have turned out fine and I did manage to complete the build before kick off 😬. They are two super heavy boxes (90x60x60cm) made out of decking timber and fence posts. Too heavy to lift but means (hopefully) that the wind won't blow the screen over, which I've put on top of the planters. I'm planning to grow some veggies, in fact garlic, onions, herbs and stuff. The planters are too high for the dogs to be able to pee in. The nosey neighbours are not impressed though, the daughter came out to tell me what she thinks about it πŸ˜‚. Seems to be  annoyed, that they no longer have a view of my patio.

Sounds like you are coping well with the chemo, keeping busy (fatigue allowing), a good tactic πŸ‘. Sounds like you have the metal mouth bad, it got me more towards the end of my sessions. There is some advice in the chats, such as eating pineapples but I just lived with it. You'll be glad to know that the taste buds do return to normal after it is all over.

I'll be watching the footy tonight, expecting big things from the Spurs this season, and even more I hope for some entertainment from 'Postecoglou ball'. It'll be interesting to see how Leicester City get on.

All the best 

Spongebob

User
Posted 19 Aug 2024 at 17:28

Believe it or not, Harlow recycling centre has an appointments only system! We ended up having to take a car load of green waste over the border to Hertfordshire, it's bonkers! Rant over.

Hi Kev,

Wowee! - APPOINTMENTS ONLY!!!!! Just to get rid of rubbish, what is going on? Barmy 😠. In my neck of the woods the Council have this year seen fit to close our local tip (Recycling Centre), so we now have 20-30 minute drive to the next place which not surprisingly has half hour long queues to get in. As result there's now abundant fly tipping all over the shop. Who are these idiots making these decisions, I doubt that many people voted them in with a manifesto of closing rubbish tips.

I could rant away all night on this one! 😁

User
Posted 19 Aug 2024 at 19:15

Hi Spongebob, 

Apparently you don't have to book if you have a disabled badge though. So one of us would have had to take the mother in law to the tip and unload a full car load single handed, she can't help as she's had a stroke. 

Weird that there's a proliferation of fly tipping. Coincidence eh 🀷🏻‍♂️

They'll probably spend a fortune installing cctv everywhere to try and catch the fly-tippers now.

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 09:58

Hi guys. Our local recycling centres are all booking only. Seems to work ok here as there’s never a queue. Occasionally you can even book for the same day. 

We have 2 I can go to, one is close but doesn’t take everything. The other one is only 10 mins away . 

I know they also charge quite a lot for ‘trade’ recycling so we always try to separate our waste like metal etc.

I do love a clear out . 😁… 

Cheers

Phil

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 11:16

Sorry to hear your sad news Adrian. Sounds a great friendship you had.

Take care everyone 

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 09:32

Hi guys. Our local recycling centres are all booking only.

We're very lucky here. I live in a village in North Lincs. The recycling tip is only 2 miles away. You can go as many times as you want without booking.

Talking of recycling. Two years ago, I bought two big compost bins. Since then I've never used our brown bin, and every single bit of garden waste including hedge trimming have all been composted. Composting has now become an obsession. πŸ™‚

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 17:05

Hang on Adrian..

Where I live, the brown bin is for landfill. Green bin is for garden waste (and have to pay a fee for collection). Except when I lived in Stevenage, where it was brown. 

I reckon councils flip a coin when choosing bin colours. 

P.S. tonight's tipple is "Old Midnight Hen" a stout apparently. 

Cheers all.

Kev.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 17:46

Here, it's brown bin - garden waste. Black bin - general waste. Burgundy bin - plastic and cardboard. Then crates for tins and glass. 

A stout old midnight hen sounds nice. I married one. 😁

PS: Is your vine  producing grapes yet?

Edited by member 21 Aug 2024 at 17:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 18:11

Four bunches on one vine which is white. Plenty of foliage but no grapes on the pink one. I'm training them up the south facing garage wall and they're doing well so far. Fingers crossed for next year 🀞🏻

At my old place, I used to get enough grapes to make around a gallon and a half of white wine. Quality was a bit hit and miss though, usually a bit so so but occasionally I'd open a bottle that tasted quite nice. 

Cheers.

Kev.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 19:18

I used to dabble with homemade wine. Cherry was my favourite. Trouble is the blackbirds discovered the cherry tree in the garden after a couple of years and they haven’t left me one cherry in all the years since.

The best non grape wine I made was blackberry but that’s a pfaff, and takes about 2-3 years before it’s ready. BlackBerry is the nearest you can get to grapes for wine making.

I also have gooseberries and I tried making gooseberry wine some years ago. Trouble is the wine taste unsurprisingly like gooseberries, very tarte. I have some bottles of it still in the garage, they’ll be about 25 years old - not sure if I’d risk drinking them now.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 20:04

I'm going to have to throw down the virtual gauntlet Spongebob, and challenge you to crack open a bottle of your gooseberry wine. Maybe try it out on your neighbour 😁

I made apple wine years ago from a neighbour's apples which had a weird texture so no one ever ate them, it was like eating cotton wool, the wine wasn't bad though. 

Cheers. 

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 22:27

Evening gents

Sorry I've been AWOL from this pub for a while, but I've not been feeling tippety top or very sociable. I'm sorry to hear about your mate Adrian, as that's rubbish. I lost my best mate a few years ago to a heart attack, and it knocked me for six.

I can't really comment on the football as I don't follow it. I'm a rugby man, so am eagerly awaiting the start of the season, to see if Saints can do well again this year!

Keep smiling guys.

Ian.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2024 at 23:09

Hi Ian.

I'm sorry to hear you feel a bit rough.

I was going to pm you but didn't like to bother you.  

I presume  incontinence is still a problem?

As for my best mate, he actually passed away 3 weeks ago. It was his funeral today at the local crem. It was a lovely celebration of his life. I must admit I did start blubbering.

His brother had organised a bit of a do at a local club after the service. It was well attended and he'd got a lovely buffet done by a local supermarket. The only problem was he'd forgotten to order plates. The club doesn't do food, and had no plates, so people were having to use tea cup saucers to put their food on. They only held half a sarnie and a mini pork pie. I was starving, used my initiative, and used a beer tray. My wife cringed. πŸ™‚

Edited by member 22 Aug 2024 at 00:00  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 22 Aug 2024 at 08:39

Hi Ian, 

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling great. I think that even though you've had the operation to remove your cancerous prostate, the battle isn't over by a long way, but I'm sure you're making progress. 

A couple of months after my operation when the euphoria had died down, it all felt like a huge anticlimax. I started to feel flat and even a little crap. Eventually I had some counselling which helped me. 

Counselling isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I know you lost your best mate, but is there someone you can talk to?

I'm a rugby man too. One of the kids lives over the road from Franklin's Gardens, can see the top of the tower from her window. I'm not a Northampton fan though. 

Come on you Sarries! πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸΌ

Cheers, 

Kev.

Edited by member 22 Aug 2024 at 08:43  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 22 Aug 2024 at 09:16

A couple of months after my operation when the euphoria had died down, it all felt like a huge anticlimax. I started to feel flat and even a little crap.

I felt exactly the same Kev. On the run up to surgery I was completely focused on the procedure itself. After it, I spent a couple of months trying to convince myself that it wouldn't effect my life. Then I hit a wall, realising it had. That period of despondency lasted for a few months.

Since then, I've gradually adapted to a slightly new way of life. I do think it's changed me. My wife says I'm more grumpy than I used to be, and I definitely feel more fatigued. I don't think the tiredness can be related to the prostatectomy, that was 18 months ago. Perhaps it's because I'm still not sleeping as well as I used to, or maybe it's due to other medical conditions. 

Every afternoon about 3pm, I feel completely knackered and usually doze off. Sometimes I even go to bed for an hour or two. Apparently you can combat this by going for a brisk walk, but I just don't feel I have the energy to do this. Plus my legs are knackered, caused by doing too much exercise when I was younger. They make walking unpleasurable.

Gardening gets me plenty of fresh air and a bit of exercise, but even that is becoming more difficult than it was.

I know I'm much more fortunate than many on here, who are having to battle with very unpleasant side effects of their continuing treatments. I keep telling myself how lucky I am, even when I feel that I'm ready for the scrap yard.  

This afternoon I meeting up with three old colleagues. You can guarantee we'll all end up moaning about how ill we are, but it'll pass an hour or two. 😁

Edited by member 22 Aug 2024 at 12:50  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 22 Aug 2024 at 14:59

Good afternoon chaps. Just checking inπŸ‘

Love hearing all the banter about wine and getting old and crotchety… I’m actually trying to go alcohol free at the moment. Especially as my taste buds are still a bit deranged. Getting better slowly but not had a dinner for 3 days until last night when I had a bout a half portion. Another couple of days and I’ll be gone again I expect. Then it all starts again next Chemo 🀦‍♀️. 

I’ve been to Franklin Gardens a few times as our good friends lived nearby . Very friendly clubhouse where I’ve eaten a few times . Our friends now live in Exmoor so no more Rugby. 

Just done some painting on the landing. Well cutting in actually , which is worse than rolling, especially the skirting as my knees aren’t so good nowadays. Doing the rolling with help from the missus at the weekend. Feeling a bit guilty as I’m sat on my arse thinking about watching an episode of ‘Shed and buried’… 

Watched a Car SOS episode the other day where they did an RS2000 Mk 2 . I had a new one in 1980 and I loved that car. Be worth a fortune now. 

Right, onwards and upwards . I think a cup of coffee is necessary - not sure how the chocolate biscuits will taste 😬… 

Take care guys, 

Phil

User
Posted 22 Aug 2024 at 22:09

Cheers Adrian

Yup, the incontinence is pretty awful at the minute. Had a review call with the prof today though, and he says its very early days, especially as they sent me home with a UTI which took two weeks of antibiotics to shift!

I think the beer tray plate was a great idea. I bet you got some envious looks as they all tucked in to their half sandwich. I bet your mate would have found that funny too!

Kev - Sarries? really? πŸ˜‚ To be fair they're a great side, and I've had some laughs with their fans over the years, including in the eel pie in Twickenham after this years final πŸ‘

Phil - you must be posh, eating in the clubhouse. I'm normally at the curry stall in the village before a game. Good luck with going alcohol free. I did it over 3 years ago. It was only supposed to be for 12 weeks, but I felt so good I never went back!

It is funny isn't it how you feel after the operation. Initial shock at how fast it had progressed, then relief that he said he got it all out, then the realisation that until they test my PSA in 4 weeks I wont really know if it worked. Then of course there's the old "will it come back" question. With T3a there's more chance I will end up having more treatment at some point I suppose, but who knows.

For now, I will keep reminding myself that you have to be alive to pee in your pants 😬

User
Posted 23 Aug 2024 at 09:34

Morning Chaps, 

A lot of recent talk about rugby on here, it’s not a game that I remember with much fondness. Back in the day it was of a different variety where I’m from, Bradford Northern and Eddie Waring’s ‘Up and Unders’. Northern (now the Bulls) play up at Odsal stadium which is a huge big hole dug out of a rubbish tip at the top of a hill. Visitors to Bradford pass it on there way in on the motorway, gives a taste of what to expect - ‘the motorway to nowhere!. Up at Odsal the climate is akin to that of Siberia, you need to dress up Nanook of the North to contemplate going to watch anything there and must remember to take some binoculars to be able to make out any action at the far end. Despite this Odsal holds the record attendance for a Rugby League game 102,000 back in 1954. My dad who was a copper back then always told me a story of him being up there on traffic duty at the time - an ‘old world’ nightmare, if there ever was one!

We had the misfortune to have to watch footy matches up there after the fire for a while. The rugby pitch was not only a quagmire, not really suited to tic-tac football but was also too short. Anyway the corners were rounded off because of the speedway track which meant that the pitch at each corner flag sloped upwards which proved handy for keeping the ball on the pitch when play got into the corners. It was a dismal place to watch football. You used to be able to get a welcome bag of fish  and chips from a chip van that was perched right at the top of the terracing. That was until Leeds fans decided to push the chip van over, for some reason best known only to themselves (they had a different idea of entertainment in those days, or maybe they were just bad losers).

When I went to Uni in Leicester I found out about the other rugby. I was amazed, they were nuts about rugby in Leicester with football taking a firm backseat there. The Tigers. Sure enough the Uni was full of lads from places like Cambridge, Northampton, Exeter and Rugby was 2nd nature to them. Also of course goes without saying the Welsh lads were the same. Even our Geordie friends played, yes right up there in the Norrh East. It seemed that everyone knew how to play except for me. The thing is they all knew what position each played just by what size they were.

So it was then that they took one look at me and said ‘Second Row’. I quickly found that there is absolutely no glamour in that position, spending most of the match with my head wedged between buttocks and grabbing hold of the balls of others in front. I remember laying there on my back in the mud with umpteen 16 stone fellas on top of me taking a glance back hoping for reinforcements only to see a line of our guys just standing around in our half looking as casually nonchalant as a twitcher birdwatching. These guys as I found out were the ‘Back Row’, in clean shirts and clean shorts - they were waiting and waiting for their chance of glory. I didn’t reckon much to that!

Problem was that I really didn’t have a clue how to play. When I went to secondary school, it had just turned into a comprehensive school and one consequence was that all the rugby posts in the school had been taken down. One rugby pitch had been replaced with an ‘all weather’ pitch. Unfortunately there was nothing ‘all weather’ about it as it was like a sandy gravel surface. Nobby the caretaker wouldn’t let anyone go on it in any weather and it got really dry in the summer term most of it would blow away in the wind in a phenomenon known as the ’great all weather pitch sandstorm’. Anyway, our PE teachers were the classic lazy gits, for every double games lesson we had we would be sent out on cross country in all weathers whilst they sat there with their coffees. At the end of each lesson they would say ‘bring your boots next week’, so we would all cart in our boots only to find that it was still cross country.

It all meant that I left school not knowing how to play very much. I was able to play footy a bit because we played on the street at home. Actually, I could also play a bit of hockey because often when we got back from cross country, for the remaining 20 mins or so they would then send us out to play hockey- this was just hit and hope rather than learning how to play with some guidance. There was one week when it was really foggy, we got back from cross country and got the hockey sticks out, then when we’d finished, we went in for a shower and got changed. Then walking back up to school from the changing rooms, passing one of the goals we found a lad still standing there in goals πŸ˜€. It was that foggy he didn’t know it had finished 15 mins since. Dozy or what? I won’t say his name in case he’s on here 😬.

It was a certainly a different time in the old days. In a different lifetime I was a teacher, in fact a Geography teacher (I was rubbish at that aswell 😬). When I did teacher training I used to volunteer to help the PE teacher at this school next to Uni. One day we were ‘teaching’ the kids Rugby, the PE teacher on one side and me on the other, anyway the lads passed me the ball and I just hoofed the biggest ‘Up and Under’ they will have ever seen. They all just stared at me, I could tell by their exasperated looks that I’d done something wrong. The PE teacher added to my embarrassment by telling the kids not to worry about me as I didn’t quite know how to play. I have a lot of tales that I could tell from my brief teaching career. I did my teacher training in Norwich at UEA, the kids there have a particularly rustic accent and is difficult to interpret at the best of times- as it turned out I got on just fine with them as they couldn’t understand my Bradford accent either making it an interesting experience.

Oops sorry for the reminiscing rambling, I’m just waiting for the family to get up, we’re going to go on a family walk over to Bolton Abbey and back in what appears to be gale force wind ( which incidentally is giving my new garden planter nosey neighbour preventing screen a test 😳). 

I’ve been thinking about picking up the gauntlet and cracking open a bottle of the vintage gooseberry, not sure I can do it. I think I would rather have a piece of Tutankamooon’s rice bread - a much safer prospect. I’ll think about it πŸ€”. 

Have a good weekend chaps 

Spongebob

User
Posted 23 Aug 2024 at 10:43

Then walking back up to school from the changing rooms, passing one of the goals we found a lad still standing there in goals πŸ˜€. It was that foggy he didn’t know it had finished 15 mins since. Dozy or what? I won’t say his name in case he’s on here 😬.

That reminds me of the football scene from Kes, when Billy Casper was in goal and Brian Glover was the PE teacher and nominated himself as Bobby Charlton. A superb film.

Spongebob I love your tales. πŸ‘ πŸ™‚

I'm still a very, very, slow texter. I only got a mobile phone 18 months ago when I went to hospital for my RARP, so that I could let the missus know how I got on. Now, I can't put the damn thing down! It would have taken me an hour to text your post.

Like your dad, I'm ex plod. One of my mates in the job, was a semi professional rugby league player. He always used to carry his gum shield in his tunic. He was a one man riot squad. Whenever we went to any pub punch ups, we'd put Les and his gum shield in first. Then we'd go in ten minutes later to pick up the pieces. He was a living legend. As if he wasn't formidable enough, they ended up putting him in the dog section! I still maintain he was more intimidating and dangerous than his snarling Alsatian. 😁

I hope you have a great day out. The gale will certainly blow away the cobwebs.

Edited by member 23 Aug 2024 at 11:54  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 23 Aug 2024 at 12:33

Hi guys. Great posts/stories. 

Both my secondary schools were comprehensives but one of them concentrated on Rugby and were renowned as being a rough team. Us leftovers were thrown a football and told to F off over there .

When I moved school at 13 I got a lot of trouble at the start due to the reputation of our Rugby team. So had to prove myself a few times. Ended up enjoying my time there until me and my little Bruv had to move back to our old school when I was already started 4th year. Couldn’t get my chosen options at CSE so ended up messing them up and had to retake them as GCEs at college.  πŸ€·‍♂️.

The PE teacher at the old school even shouted at me after I threw the Javelin ‘what’s the matter you got Polio or something ‘. Imagine that now 🀣. 

Back to Rugby. We had hospitality at Leicester once and so beforehand was mingling with injured players etc. I felt like such a midget until Austin Healey came over to chat. He’s a tiddler like me 🀣, but hard as nails, unlike me. 

We also have friends who had a box at the old Tottenham stadium, which was lovely but you can’t beat sitting outside with the crowd. But we also did hospitality things there with a meal etc. One day we sat having dinner before the game with Ossie Ardiles and Martin Chivers on our table. Ossie is so down to earth was magic talking to him. My missus said to me ‘who’s that’ I was ‘WHAT’… I have a great photo and us chatting with our wine glasses in our hands. I still can’t believe it 🀦‍♀️… 

Keep your stories going, I love hearing them. It really is like being in our local Pub just chewing the cud. 

Just remembered this. Being older than you guys I remember at one of my (4) primary schools no one had their own boots so you picked out of a box. They looked like walking boots with studs. No fancy boots then … and if they didn’t fit that was tough. Imagine the little cherubs now complaining about a little blister ! 

Cheers guys, my round is it ? 

Phil

Edited by member 23 Aug 2024 at 12:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Aug 2024 at 12:53

Hi Phil.

I've just got into my real Club. I'm on my first pint of Mild. I've found it's easier on the bladder than bitter or lager. Plus you can have half a dozen and still feel cold sober.

I'm considering jacking in boozing. I went teetotal for 6 years. I'll have a few pints whilst I'm thinking it over.😁

User
Posted 23 Aug 2024 at 13:11

Hi Phil.

I'm considering jacking in boozing. I went teetotal for 6 years. I'll have a few pints whilst I'm thinking it over.😁

Needs plenty of thought 🀣 …! I do like a drop of mild. I worked in pubs since I was 8 and behind the bar at 14 so probably tried most tipples at some time. When I was 11/12 on Sunday after racking the bars I cleaned the Hall after Sat night mayhem and always started by making me and my little Oppo a snowball to start us off πŸ₯΄

Out tonight and I’ll drive so no booze. But I’ll get a bottle of low alcohol wine on the way. Hoping it’ll help me lose my chemo belly and be able to get into my old clothes again.. 

Also the chemo metal mouth made wine quite unpleasant. It’s only just easing off now so will look at ways to alleviate it at the next infusion. Frozen fruit is too cold for my teeth 😬… so maybe just chilled fruit. 

Cheers mateys 

Phil

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 09:03

When I checked in this morning. I thought 'Wow! There's been loads of activity over night.' There were 6 new posts all put on about 5 am. Everyone of them contained a quoted post where they'd added a gaming link to it. It's becoming increasingly common and increasingly irritating. 

Talking about irritating. During my three hour dinner time session in the Club yesterday. I had four pints of Mild. Urination was not a problem. I went for a wee three or four times. However as my wife was driving me home, a 15 minute journey, I stated getting a sharp pain down below and felt I needed a wee. When we got home I dashed to the loo, the pain got worse, but try as I might I was unable to pee. It took about 20 minutes before I could force a dribble of urine, then gradually over the next 15 mins I managed to pee normally.

This has happened 3 or 4 times before. I'm wondering if having a full bladder and holding back from peeing somehow locks the peeing mechanism making it difficult to go again when you need to. I never had this problem pre prostatectomy. Has anyone else had similar problems? 

Edited by member 24 Aug 2024 at 11:58  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 10:28

Hi Adrian, 

The early bird gets the spam 😁

There was only one left by the time I logged in. 

I don't have a lot of experience of retention, I had some around four weeks after surgery which was probably down to debris. Occasionally I get it after sex, but nothing as you described. Could you be harbouring a urine infection, or a stricture?

Could be worth speaking to your urologist, maybe discuss self catheterisation?

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2024 at 11:54

Cheers Kev.

I've got an 18 month follow up consultation very soon. I'll mention it to them. 

They'll probably just blame the demon drink.

Edited by member 25 Aug 2024 at 08:54  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 26 Aug 2024 at 13:29

Afternoon chaps,

A few weeks ago I went to my Mother-in-law’s wake. To break the ice, the chat turned to first jobs, and I was asked what mine was. Actually, I’ve had a good selection of jobs in my time but my very first one was as a Paperboy (if such a job still exists then we probably now have to call it a “Paperperson” or a “Paperthey”)πŸ“°πŸ“°. I did that for many years, it was certainly a commitment and hard work fitting it in around school and delivering in all weathers. In those days everyone who lived in the village would get a Bradford Telegraph & Argus, us paperboys would meet at the shop after school and wait for the papers to be dropped off for Arthur the Newsagent to count out the papers for each of our rounds, we’d have 60-70 papers each to deliver. Thursday’s were the heaviest days because Thursday was jobs and houses day in the T&A. Our hands and clothes would get covered in ink, much to my mum’s angst 😑.

People who have never delivered papers would naturally think that it was a doddle of a job. Well they would be wrong! One of the biggest problems would occasionally come to light as you got to the end of your round, and that would be when you find that you are one paper short or one paper over. Then you’d have to work out what had gone wrong, maybe delivered to someone who was on holiday or missed someone who has just got back from holiday. In either case you had to resolve it because if you went back to the shop to tell Arthur he would “go Ape!!!” and give you a right bollocking! (This is where there is an advantage to not shoving the paper all the way through just in case you have to try and retrieve one that you’d accidentally deliveredπŸ€”). Of course it could be that Arthur had miscounted the papers in the first place but he’d never admit to that. There was one occasion when I was 13 papers over! Which was quite obviously an Arthur mistake so I just dumped them all over the wall of the blocked up public urinals rather than taking them all back to the shop for an inquisition.  

Financially, it was hardly worth while doing the job anyway. I’d get something like 80 pence for a week but I would typically spend it all on sweets, crisps and bottles of pop 🍬🍾. No wonder I ended up with a mouthful of fillings.

You never forget your round, I can still remember all the houses on it even today. The rickety gates on some people’s drives, the dogs, cats and the many different types of letterboxes. My favourite type letter box was a vertical one placed at head height with a fairly lightly sprung flap. When delivering a paper to this type of letterbox you could place the paper in it, leaving approx. 6 inches hanging out, and then you could give it a right good old fashioned thwack which would send the paper flying right down the hallway. I always wondered what the customers used to think when they got home to find their paper lying half a mile down their hallway or even better imagine a grannie sat there listening to the wireless in her sitting room only to watch in amazement as the paper came flying across the room at sonic speed right above her head πŸ˜‚.

Then there was no 96, this house had a hip level letterbox, and without fail, every time I put the paper in this letterbox their dog 🐢would snatch the paper and shred it. I would be amazed if there was ever anything left of their paper to read in that house. Talking of dogs, I got bit twice, both on the knee cap whilst the paper bag saved me on a number of other occasions. Dogs that look menacing but not barking are the ones to avoid, whereas dogs barking were generally all talk and no bite.

I also had a cat 😺 hazard at no14, this one was a ground level letterbox and every so often their massive fat ginger cat would be flaked out having a snooze right in front of the letter box and it didn’t like to be disturbed. Fortunately, the worst it could do was a hiss and swipe with it’s claws.

No 8, was a run down old semi with an over grown garden of waist high grass and nettles, gate hanging off, paint peeling off the guttering, door and window frames. Sometimes the door would be open and a glimpse inside would reveal a bare floor covered in newspaper and very little furniture. There was also a very stale, decayed old whiff about the place. A little old scruffy lady lived there, and we were all scared stiff of her, reckoning that she was a witch. I would always dispatch her paper as quick as I could to avoid meeting her and having a spell cast on me.

Christmas time πŸŽ… was best because that’s when we would get tips. People were generally, remarkably generous and we would accumulate a fair old sum of money for Christmas. I learnt then to never be surprised by people and never to pre-judge because the most unlikely looking person would often give the most generous tip. Of course you would remember those houses that didn’t give anything. I remember knocking on the door at no 108 and saying the “Happy Christmas” greeting which as we all know, translated means “give me my deserved Christmas tip”, only for the woman who opened the door to cheerily say “Happy Christmas” back to me whilst slamming the door right in my face. Needless to say, for the rest of the year if it was wet outside their paper would accidentally get dropped in a puddle before posting it through their letterbox.   

Anyway, just thought I’d share my reminiscing πŸ˜€ whilst I contemplate doing a bit of housework😁 as it is typical Bank Holiday weather outside. Just this minute heard on the News about Sven – that’s so sad and upsetting, poor bloke, he didn’t get much notice did he 😒. Ah well...... best make the best of it while we can.

Cheers

Spongebob