I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA TESTING

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 16:08

Hello.  I used to be a regular on this site, but have been offline for a while.  Radical Prostatectomy October 2010 since when have been leading an uneventful life (too uneventful in fact, due to ongoing ED but we won't go there in this post).

We've recently moved from London to Wiltshire.  I received regular PSA testing in London and the result invariably came back as less than 0.03.

I've just had a PSA test done via my new local GP and it has come back less than 0.1.  I queried this and was told that different parts of the country have different testing policies and here the laboratories cannot give a reading lower than 0.1.  I was told that if I want a more accurate test I would have to have it done it privately.  I asked whether the local hospital would give a more accurate test and was told they all had the same policy in this part of the country.  

The GP did say that people who move area can find the different policies worrying, but there it is.

I have always felt very reassured that my PSA was known to be less than 0.03.  Do I need to be concerned that I now seem to live in an area that cannot cope with that level of accuracy?

Thanks

Cedric

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 17:12
Absolutely not. As it is so low I would just live with it. Just wish mine was that low (last test 28 and rising but it was 545 a couple of years ago).
User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 19:01
Thanks for that. I'm reassured!

Cedric