I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After Catheter removal

User
Posted 04 Nov 2015 at 20:02

Hi everyone,i attended Bradford Hospital today for catheter removal,after a Robot Assisted Prostatechtomy 12 days ago,i was diagnosed as Gleason 3+4a.12% disease on right side,left side benign,nerve sparing(i think on L side)PSA was 5.2 on initial bloodtest,i go in 6 weeks for further PSA&review by surgeon.&7 hrs after catheter out Some leaking.I guess im asking whats to come,is any one else similar to me.Finally just to say i wish one&all the very best of luck on their journey.

Best Wishes.

Polarbear.2

User
Posted 05 Nov 2015 at 00:27

I think people are probably reading your post Polarbear but are not sure whether you are asking for advice or just providing an update.

It seems your pathology report was very good - you must be very relieved that only 12% of one side was affected and that you have had at least partial nerve-sparing. What's to come? Well, it may take you a few weeks to recover fully from the op - your body has to work hard to repair itself so be careful not to think you are fitter than you are and overdo things. The visible scars may only be small but an awful lot of flesh and muscle has been cut and bashed around internally.

You will find that over the next few days you can have short walks and then go further or longer. You will probably still want to nap in the afternoons - trust your body. If you have a car, check with your insurance company before you consider getting behind the wheeel as some will not insure you until 6 or 12 weeks post op while others will only insure you if the GP or surgeon has said it is okay to drive.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Nov 2015 at 16:15

Thankyou for your reply,i guess i was wanting to do both,ie get advice&update,good advice on the exercise front,is it normal to feel a more discomfort on the side most was removed at.ie the right side.Thanyou also for driving advice.

Regards.

Polarbear 2.

User
Posted 05 Nov 2015 at 19:00

Hi,

Regarding catheter removal. I had mine removed two weeks after my op so that will be going on seven months ago. I was so disheartened after it came because I had very little bladder control. However now I am virtually fully back in control. I did do pelvic floor excercises three or four times a day. Hopefully you will be fine but even if you do get leaks take heart from my experience.

Good luck.

Paul

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 05 Nov 2015 at 21:17

Hi after my catheter was removed I got out the car at home and my bladder emptied upon standing, but things slowly improved until I had control again, i did a lot of walking filling the pad fully to start with I think walking helped, you are very early on your recover so do not expect to much to soon all the best Andy

User
Posted 05 Nov 2015 at 22:56

PB

What is too come ?

I found I could sit for quite a while without leaking, then I would get a slight urge to go, at first I would wait for a bigger urge but when I got up I would leak. I think the knack is to find the happy medium between not going "just in case" and going "just in time". I still did my PFEs and four days later was almost dry, hope you do better than me ,some on here where dry from day one.

Hope it goes well.

Thanks chris