Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Olaparib

User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 05:20

Hi,

I was taken off chemo last April as a result of COVID, then put onto Arbiterone. Although it has been effective in slowing the cancer down, it feels as if its effectiveness is slowly going. A good indicator being a tumour in my 'tail' end, which caused a mountain of issues for me. The tumour did get reduced through radiotherapy but is growing again. Potentially due to being blessed with an advanced cancer. Anyway I was recently informed that I'm being put forward for funding to access olaparib, which is a targeted therapy that repairs DNA particularly for those with a BRCA gene mutation. Research does look promising. 

I'm reminded by the cancer team that there are lots of options out there but what exactly is there available once Arbiterone stops working? I cant find much. I'm fortunate to be hopefully prescribed this new 'wonder' drug but what else is out there as the castrate resistant drugs appear to be the last of the options really. I may be mistaken so be good to hear if there are different options available.

Thanks 😁

User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 23:36
I think they are being a tad cheerful. If abi fails, the options are usually more docetaxel (particularly if it seemed to be having an impact when you had it before) or cabazitaxel. If bone mets are affecting quality of life, Radium 223 is an option but it doesn't treat the actual cancer as such as it is designed to seek out and target just the bone.

The olaparib trial is exciting.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard