Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A place to have a chat.

User
Posted 15 Apr 2024 at 11:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
We went to see the Bayeux tapestry today, if for you gents history floats your boat then I really recommend it.

We went to see that years ago when the kids were little, it's fascinating isn't it. Sounds like you're having a great trip 👍

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 10:21

Hi Guys, Love hearing about all your trips and visits. I think it’s great we are all trying to do our best under what can be difficult circumstances.

We just had a little weekend trip down to visit friends on Exmoor. Bit of a trek from Essex - 6 hours with a quick wee break but we had a lovely time. The village Pub is lovely and we joined the Times Crossword group Sunday afternoon. No teams we all just try to get the answers together - good fun, especially with the amount of alcohol consumed. Saturday we went to see a play in a tiny Minehead Theater and we had such a laugh. Nice Indian in the Taj Mahal beforehand too.

Blood test and Bone scan this week….. 😎. Hoping the drugs are starting to work or i suspect we will be talking about the surgery at my consultation next week.

Talking of the Bayeux Tapestry, we are off on a wine run to Calais soon 😁. Not quite so high brow I’m afraid …! If you pre order over £250 you get the ferry crossing for free. Pretty easy with 2 couples. Nice day out with a nice meal, and tops up the wine cellar for a couple of months. The wine is so ridiculously cheap still over there.

Keep up the stories guys. 👍 Come and join me for a pint. Im the one in the corner nursing a half finished Guinness and a pork pie.

Take care 

Phil

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 12:51

The village Pub is lovely and we joined the Times Crossword group Sunday afternoon. No teams we all just try to get the answers together - good fun, especially with the amount of alcohol consumed]/quote]

The Times Crossword group...ooh get you. ðŸ˜Ū

I even struggle with The Sun's  crossword. ðŸ˜

Very best of luck, with your blood test and scan Phil. ðŸĪž

Edited by member 18 Apr 2024 at 09:40  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 16:48

Glad to see the booze cruise never died. Years ago I had a Saab 900 turbo, it had a massive boot which I filled up and drove home with a bottomed out suspension. 

I'll join you for a Guinness or two, we're off to Nor'n Iron this weekend, the Giant's Causeway is next on my list 👍

Fingers crossed for this week Phil ðŸĪž

Cheers,

Kev.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 17:24

We just having our last night in Montreuil sur Mer. Called in at the British military cemetery at Etaples on route to pay my respects to my great grandad who died there on 15th October 1918. Last night we were in Honfleur and what a fabulous, fantastic spot that is - very Poldark like. We had a superb dinner out, and will definitely go back again sometime.

Very envious of you folk living darn south in Essex, how easy it is for you to nip over here to France - I would fill my boots with it 😎ðŸ‡Ŧ🇷.

Spongebob (on the Leffes again 🍚)

User
Posted 16 Apr 2024 at 17:41

(on the Leffes again 🍚)

You're a sponge. Soak it up. 😁

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 11:18

we're off to Nor'n Iron this weekend, the Giant's Causeway is next on my list 👍

Have a really great time Kev. Northern Ireland is on our list too 👍. Watch those big steps ðŸĪĢ I think the Bushmills factory is somewhere near there. 😁

Have been to Eire a few times as we have friends in Kerry. And Dublin is a really buzzin place. Lovely people. 

Phil

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 13:04

we're off to Nor'n Iron this weekend, the Giant's Causeway is next on my list 👍

Have a really great time Kev. Northern Ireland is on our list too 👍. Watch those big steps ðŸĪĢ 

Hi Phil,

I don't think I could go to the Giants Causeway. The sight of rigid, upright things, all naturally produced, would make me too envious. 😁

Have you had your scan and blood test yet?

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 14:16

Have a really great time Kev. Northern Ireland is on our list too 👍. Watch those big steps ðŸĪĢ I think the Bushmills factory is somewhere near there. 😁

Good shout Phil. Just so happens we're about 15 minutes drive from there, I'll see if I can get on a tour 👍ðŸŧ

I don't think I could go to the Giants Causeway. The sight of rigid, upright things, all naturally produced, would make me too envious. 😁 

Maybe they use Invicorp Adrian.. to prevent coastal erosion ðŸĪ” I'll let you know if they sell it in the gift shop. 

Cheers, 

Kev.

Edited by member 18 Apr 2024 at 14:20  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 14:19

Have you had your scan and blood test yet?

Hi Adrian. Know what you mean.ðŸĪĢ

But this weekend away as usual at night I tell the missus she knows where I am if she needs me 😉, and guess what , she did ðŸĪŠ… Made my weekend. 😎

Blood test and bone scan tomorrow. See the consultant next week … 

Phil

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 18:09

Blood test and bone scan tomorrow. See the consultant next week

Update, consultation a week Tuesday now … 

Phil

User
Posted 18 Apr 2024 at 18:37

But this weekend away as usual at night I tell the missus she knows where I am if she needs me 😉, and guess what , she did ðŸĪŠ… Made my weekend. 😎

That's lovely mate.👍

The other week, I managed to get two 'jumps' out of one Invicorp jab. I felt like I was a teenager again.

Wow! Wonderful, I thought. 🎆

The wife didn't share my exuberance. 😁

Edited by member 18 Apr 2024 at 19:13  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 09:39

The wife didn't share my exuberance. 😁

Oops, perhaps you overdid it ðŸ˜ģðŸ˜ģðŸĪĶ‍♀ïļ

Had a lovely day out yesterday up in Town at the Sherlock Holmes Experience. Good show and very nice food. Busy on the tube though with the Marathon on but got a seat 👍. Congratulated many of the runners we saw with their well earned medals. Some of whom were suffering especially getting up the stairs at the tube stations…. 

Hope y’all had a cracking weekend ? 

Phil

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 11:06

Hi Phil,

Glad you had a great weekend. 

I love Sherlock Holmes. I thought Jeremy Brett's portrayal of him was the best. I must have watched each episode of that TV series at least 10 times over. I still forget 'who did it' in some of them. I suppose that's one of the rare advantages of going senile.😁

I suppose you know, but in case you don't. The police when investigating serious or complex crimes use a computer system called HOLMES. (Home Office Large Major Enquiry System) but they're still nowhere as good at detecting crime as Sherlock.

We had our usual very uneventful weekend. Pottering about and having a few bevvies in the garden. At times, it was over 80 degrees in the suntrap back corner. 

The grandkids got back from Turkey early Saturday and spent a lot of time here. I watched the footy with my grandson, who got very frustrated with his red devil's performance.

I got a letter from the hospital, to prepare myself for some more drilling out of the main artery to my heart. I think it'll be in the next couple of weeks. It's a strange op. They  go through an artery in your wrist and push some sort of fine tube all the way into your heart then start drilling away at the calcification. Apparently my blockage is in a difficult bit to get to. So it could be a long job. The strange thing is you're awake when they do it. You can see what they're doing on a screen and you can certainly feel them prodding about. The last one I had done was 90 mins, I think this one could be even longer. I'd rather have another prostatectomy! 😁

Is your consultation tomorrow  or next Tuesday?

Edited by member 22 Apr 2024 at 11:09  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 12:44

Hi Adrian. We also think Jeremy Brett was the best . He was really into the character, warts and all. Yes they’re always mentioning HOLMES on the TV detective series. What a legacy from the stories. 

It’s lovely pottering in the garden. We went out Saturday and got plants for the front and back. Had a nice full English there too ðŸĪŠ. Just need to find the time to get them in now. Having a proper roof put on the conservatory this week so gotta keep out the guys way… 

The op sounds quite intricate but they do those things all day long don’t they . I remember my Brachy and thinking I’ve got 23 rods stuck in me with radiation flying up them - just hope they poked them in the right places ðŸ˜ģ. But good luck with it. Will you notice any difference after or is a preventative op? 

It is weird when you’re awake isn’t it. I had a couple of the camera up the bum jobs and watched it on the screen. Oops here comes another corner ðŸĪĢ… 

Didn’t have time for watching footie, F1 or the Women’s Rugby . Gonna try to watch the England v France game as that’s gonna be a cracker as France will be dying to stop us getting the Grand Slam. 

My consultation is next Tuesday and wondering if he’ll say it’s time for the op yet ? 😎… Just depends on if the Abi/Dexa/Degarelix Combo has started working or not…! 

Take care, 

Phil

User
Posted 22 Apr 2024 at 13:20

It is weird when you’re awake isn’t it. I had a couple of the camera up the bum jobs and watched it on the screen. Oops here comes another corner ðŸĪĢ… 

😂 Thank heavens, I'm no longer incontinent. I'd have just wet myself.

I remember coming home after having a camera up the jacksie. "They stuck a camera up your bum!", said my wife. "That wasn't too bad. It was the clapperboard that stung a bit" I replied.

As for angioplasty, I'm having symptoms, hopefully the op will help alleviate them. It's the fourth angiogram I've had. It's a doddle when they just pop in for a quick shufty or whack in a stent. It's when they start having to do a lot of unblocking (rotablation) when it becomes less pleasant. Like all ops the risks are minimal, but my cousin had a stroke whilst he was having the same op and never fully recovered from it, and a friend told me, in great detail,  of a relative of his who died on the table. With friends like that, who needs enemies. 😂

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 09:26

Adrian, I can’t imagine how a friend could think it was ok to tell you that ðŸĪĶ‍♀ïļ… 
Im sure it will all go perfectly and you’ll feel the benefits after. 

Phil

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 10:06

Adrian, I can’t imagine how a friend could think it was ok to tell you that ðŸĪĶ‍♀ïļ… 
Im sure it will all go perfectly and you’ll feel the benefits after. 

Phil

Morning Phil, 

Funnily enough, he's actually a brilliant mate. He had prostate cancer and has been fantastically supportive but he perhaps would have never got into the Diplomatic Corp. 😁

He bought me a bottle of whisky just before my prostatectomy, saying "You'll bloody need this to cheer you up after the op. You'll be suffering for months." 😁 

But, if I ever needed help he'd be there straight away, he's got a heart of gold.

Edited by member 23 Apr 2024 at 10:16  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 23 Apr 2024 at 11:30

It’s great to have an understanding friend. Especially if he understands what we’re going through as it sounds like he does. Just a bit tactless maybe, but sometimes you need people like that. Not pussyfooting around you. Hope you enjoyed the whisky? 

I’ve got a good friend who always asks how I’m doing whereas most of my other friends kinda forget about it. I can also talk to him a bit about my childhood stuff which is nice sometimes as I still have trouble with it mentally. I only skirt round the edges but it helps me and he only listens and doesn’t judge. 
Actually, I don’t think I really talk to anyone else about the PCa . I think maybe I’m bored with it myself ðŸĪĢ.. 

This getting old lark is a pain in the bum. Bloody 70 next year OMG can’t believe it .. 

Been outside all morning . Fixed all the washer jets on wifeys Mini as they were all blocked. Had to soak them overnight in Acetone, then lemon juice and then boiling water…. But they work YAY… 

Then took the tank off my motorbike to get to the coils as not getting a spark at one plug. Then I needed coffee 😁… 

Yesterday I popped a tube on my pushbike pumping it up so had to order 2 new ones and that’s this afternoon’s job . Funny when it popped one of the guys fitting our new conservatory roof was walking past me and did he jump ðŸĪĢðŸĪĢ. Was up to over 40psi then so was quite a loud pop.. 

Keep busy chaps , keeps the black clouds away 🙂

Phil

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 11:19

Hi everyone. Following on from Spongebob's French Road trip..

We had a great weekend in Norn Iron with a road trip of our own. 

I have to say that the Giants Causeway is stunning! We visitited on Friday evening and watched as the sun set. The visitor centre was shut so access and parking was free. The coach loads of tourists had gone, leaving maybe only half a dozen people including a pair of newlyweds having their pictures taken. 

A couple of years ago my wife bought me a book called "1001 Drives you must experience before you die" they're all over the world and I'm 60 so probably won't complete the challenge. I think I'll leave it to the kids in my will insisting they each complete a drive from the book before passing it on. We followed the causeway coast and Antrim coast and were not disappointed. 

We were staying in Ballycastle which so happens to be the starting point for both drives in the book. Saturday we drove from Ballycastle to Londonderry or Derry (depending on your persuasion). There are plenty of parking spots to stop and admire the views. The road between Portrush and Portstewart forms part of the Northwest 200 motorbike racetrack, the grandstands and padding are already up, and the grid markings painted. This route is really popular with bikers and the weather was perfect!

Sunday we visitited some waterfalls and a couple of villages on the east coast, another perfect day and the bikes were out in force again, I miss biking.

Monday we drove down the Antrim coast from Ballycastle to Belfast where several motorways seem to converge on one junction. We managed to get around the Crumlin Road Jail and the Titanic quarter before dropping our hire car at the airport. 

I would highly recommend taking this trip, the views alone are stunning, the drives are great and the Guinness is well worth it (when in Rome). We didn't manage to get into Bushmills distillery as we had crammed so much into the weekend, so I bought a miniature bottle in the local Spar. Might drink it or might just keep it as a souvenir. 

Cheers all.

Kev.

Edited by member 24 Apr 2024 at 11:23  | Reason: Punctuation

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 11:58

Northern Ireland sounds like a right good do, I’ve definitely got it on my list. I would love to see the Giants causeway (though not at the same time as a million others 😎). I’ve seen the other end of the causeway on Staffa and Mull, fantastic, 

Interesting reading recent comments, making me laugh, I’ve also had the camera crew up the backside a couple of times whilst watching the show on the telly - fascinating and humiliating at the same time as the camera crew were all nice women. Makes me wonder what drove them into such a career? Is it a genuine real interest in men’s asses? Whatever, I am grateful. It’s good fun being an old man ðŸ‘Ļ‍ðŸĶģ

Just been out for a 2 hour walk up the hill with one of my old school mates. It was good to have a good old sober chinwag about mountain bike routes and stuff. For once it isn’t wet.

And this afternoon I’m going to brew some beer (a batch of wherry from Norfolk). This will be my first batch since before treatment.

Gradually getting back to doing more stuff. The dishwasher broke down last week with an E09 error. The wife was delighted because she thought it meant that we’d get a new dishwasher. But a bit of simple googling sorted it, ordered a new heater motor and fitted it on Monday. The hardest bit was getting the dishwasher out of its cupboard and putting it back again. Chuffed with myself for fixing that 😎😎

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 12:06

We managed a trip around the NI coast last year on the motorbike. It is spectacular. Bushmills distillery was on our backup plan for a rainy day. Amazingly we had four sunny days in a row. 

Last weekend I was in Galway and did a few bike trips in to Connemara and up to Westport, again the scenery is amazing. The nightlife in Galway is hectic.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 12:15

Wow, lovely to hear you guys are all still getting around 👍. 
N.Ireland is seriously on our list . Kev, your trip sounds fantastic. I’m right jealous ðŸĪĢ. 
Dave, great to hear you’re still using the bike. After a good few years break my little Kawasaki 350 feels too heavy for me now to manhandle around. So it’s gotta go and put the money in the holiday pot. This bloody HT has taken its toll after 6 years… 

Take care guys

Phil

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 12:27

Hi Kev,

I'm glad you enjoyed your tour of Northern Ireland. My younger brother was an RMP and did nine years over there during the troubles.

I remember going out with him when he was on leave. We were pub crawling along Freeman Street in Grimsby, when a passing car backfired. He instinctly dived for cover in shop doorway.

I've only been there was once. Was flown in a Hercules from West Germany to Portadown to give evidence in a Court Martial case.

He did 17 years in the Army, half of it dodging bullets in NI. I only did 3 years, almost, drinking, smoking and sh*gging myself to death in Germany. "That's the luck of the draw" I used to tell him. 😁

Edited by member 24 Apr 2024 at 12:42  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 12:39

We managed a trip around the NI coast last year on the motorbike. It is spectacular.

Hi Dave.

Just a brief aside. I was showing my wife one of your posts the other day.

She misunderstood your username. "Poor Dave!", she said, "Diagnosed with PSA of 2018"

Bless her.

Edited by member 24 Apr 2024 at 12:51  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 13:20

I had the camera up my bum 6 months before my PCa diagnosis, funnily enough they were all women too, they were all complaining about the traffic on the A1 and I pleaded with them not to take it out on my bum. Weird to think that the camera nudged past my cancerous prostate on its journey though. 

Also, I had bowel cancer screening last year, it was a DIY job where you dip a stick in your poo, pop it in an envelope and post it to the lab. Hilarious to think of my poo going Royal Mail. 

Dave, I reckon you did page 372 of my book last weekend, well Galway and Lough Corrib 👍ðŸŧ

Phil, if you're still struggling with the motorbike, my Mrs says you can have her old coil as she doesn't need it anymore 😁

Adrian, my brother in law was an RMP, did Germany NI Aldershot and the Falklands. We drove up the Shankill and down the Falls road Monday.. fascinating to see all the murals barriers and walls are still there.

Cheers everyone. 

Kev.

Edited by member 24 Apr 2024 at 13:25  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 13:36

Phil, if you're still struggling with the motorbike, my Mrs says you can have her old coil as she doesn't need it anymore 😁

Kev, that made me laugh , ðŸĪĢðŸĪĢ. 

This really is like being down the Pub 👍

Phil

User
Posted 24 Apr 2024 at 18:07

The dishwasher broke down last week

So did mine. A new pair of Marigolds cheered her up.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 10:39

Hey Kev - same here with the poop in the post! Very strange! However, far preferable to the camera up the bum they did the previous time - that was horrible! Four or five in the room, them filling you with gas and the camera and you trying not to fart until the pain means there's no choice!!!ðŸĪĢ

On a happier note, just had the oncologist call, PSA still less than 0.1.  Panic over for another 3 months.  It's horrible the period between blood test and results!😎😎

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 11:02

Morning guys. ForestJohn that’s great news on the PSA . We are all hoping it stays that way for years , or for ever.. now that would be a result wouldn’t it 👍

I did the poop test a few weeks ago and all came back ok. I must remember to tell my consultant at least I haven’t got bowel cancer ðŸĪŠ. 

Im knocking off tiled skirting in the conservatory in readiness for the plasterer. Then I need to get all the floor tiles up as they are a strange pink colour 😎… running laminate through from the kitchen as we are also making the opening bigger from the kitchen so it’s like one room. Much warmer in here in the evening now the roofs done.  Big difference, the insulation must be 300mm thick . 

So onwards… with my trusty hammer and chisel. 👍

take care guys

Phil

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 11:17

John, Great news about your PSA. Long may it continue. I've just had my 3 monthly check, hopefully I'll get the results tomorrow.

Phil, you're a grafter mate. I'm just sat on the bench in the corner of the garden having a cuppa. I try not to have a beer until midday.😁

The Robin chick's have fledged, so I trimmed the hedge they were nesting in. Although I say it myself the garden"s looking fab.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 11:35

Enjoy your cuppa Adrian. I do also like to sit in the garden with a cuppa ( or a glass of wine) … ! I’m just not good sitting around much. Plus I’ve always got my jobs list. 

Done one wall, the one he’s plastering and the tiles come off pretty easy so going do all round now. 

Once I’ve done that I’ve got a remote wireless light switch to put up in the summerhouse so we can switch the outside lights on without traipsing up there. 

No peace for the wicked ðŸĪŠ. I must’ve been pretty wicked.  Funnily enough one of my girlfriends at school told me I was too nice once ðŸĪ·‍♂ïļðŸĪ” I seem to recall thinking you really don’t know me ðŸĪĢ

Phil

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 12:22

Funnily enough one of my girlfriends at school told me I was too nice once ðŸĪ·‍♂ïļðŸĪ”

Lots of girls used to say that to me. It was a polite way of saying "You're OK, but you've got no chance of getting your leg over"

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 12:26

Funnily enough one of my girlfriends at school told me I was too nice once ðŸĪ·‍♂ïļðŸĪ”

Lots of girls used to say that to me. It was a polite way of saying "You're OK, but you've got no chance of getting your leg over"

ðŸĪĢðŸĪĢ I was in the 4th year and she was in the 5th year and hot so I just counted myself lucky … 😉

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 13:50

Seeing a low PSA result is always welcome news and worth celebrating. 

As for birds.. I just checked the nestbox camera and it looks like we've got at least eight eggs, which is about average for bluetits. 

Hey Phil, your ex girlfriend lost out on a DIY God, I bet she rues the day she said you were too nice 👌🏞

I too have to play with lighting, my mums outside security light stopped working and it's not the bulb, if I can't fix it I'll have to fit a new one and hope the holes line up.

Cheers  

Kev. 

Edited by member 29 Apr 2024 at 13:54  | Reason: Punctuation

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 15:03

Hey Phil, your ex girlfriend lost out on a DIY God, I bet she rues the day she said you were too nice 👌🏞

I think that was the last thing on her mind, it definitely wasn’t on mine ðŸĪĶ‍♀ïļðŸ˜ģ… 

Off to do the light switch now as I got all the silly skirting tiles off. Hopefully it’ll be easy. 

My outside lights worked forever in our old house and seem to be ok here. But over at my MiLs she seems to put the Hex on them  ðŸĪ·‍♂ïļ… 

Phil

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 16:20

Ok so light switch on and all works . 3 gang 1 way , and looks cool is glass . 
But nowhere on the box or instructions does it say what battery the remote needs. So onto Google and it’s a weird size I haven’t got so onto Amazon for delivery tomorrow. So I can’t show off to the missus now when she gets in … 

Phil

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 16:48

I did the poop test a few weeks ago and all came back ok. I must remember to tell my consultant at least I haven’t got bowel cancer ðŸĪŠ. 

They sent it back!!!! Why?ðŸĪ”  ðŸĪĢ

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 16:50

They sent it back!!!! Why?ðŸĪ”  ðŸĪĢ

ðŸĪĢ

User
Posted 29 Apr 2024 at 16:54

Years ago my doctor wanted me to provide,  urine and stool samples. I just posted him my underpants.

Edited by member 29 Apr 2024 at 18:46  | Reason: Additional text