I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A place to have a chat.

User
Posted 20 May 2024 at 11:03

Good to see I’m not the only one falling over. I keep thinking my feet have got bigger and I can’t get them out of my jeans… They must be following my belly 😂

Saw our Jersey boy, his wife and our grandson this weekend which was lovely. They stayed with us Saturday night and left midday Sunday for the flight home. Youngest boy and his missus came over to see them too which was nice. Then spent the whole afternoon and early evening trying to get my bloody bike started. Replaced a blown transistor in the aftermarket electronic ignition hoping that would do the trick. Nope. Did give us a nice fat spark on all cylinders now but it still wont start. We re-made some connections and double checked routing and coils blah, blah … So we may have to re set the carbs again …. All three of them in a very tight space 😎.

Ive also dragged some old speakers out of the loft to find one speaker is quieter than the other. Yep, you guessed it I’ve stripped them down and can see a ‘thermal issue’ has occurred on one of the crossovers. Plus oxidation on the woofers which needs cleaning off or it will affect the movement of the coils in the magnets.…….

So gotta try to sort out new Capacitors, Resistors and Inductors to rebuild the crossovers . I bought them new in 1979 and they are from a locally based chap before he became a renowned Hi Fi speaker builder.

Cut the grass Saturday morning and all looking nice now the missis has finished planting up the new bit of lavender. Sun is out now and I’m gonna have a nice cup of coffee and try to resist the biscuits…!

Take care guys, keep busy and enjoy life , 

Phil

User
Posted 20 May 2024 at 12:48

Ey up Phil, 

Your knowledge is amazing. If anything in my house doesn't work, I just thump it on the top. (That obviously doesn't include the wife)

I see on your thread that your treatment is causing a fat face and belly. Don't worry mate, I've had that for a least 20 years.

I also see it affects you appetite. Mine recently is going, almost to the extent where its becoming a little worrying. But I still have the fuller figure.

Good luck with your treatment mate.

User
Posted 20 May 2024 at 16:58

Great to see you keeping busy Phil, can't remember the last time I saw a kawasaki triple on the road, not that I'm putting any pressure on you 😉

I can see why you're fixing the speakers.. it's so you can blast out Paloma Faith 😁

I need to cut my grass tonight before it starts raining again, the recycling goes this Thursday. 

Cheers everyone!

Kev

User
Posted 20 May 2024 at 17:08

Hi Kev. Always busy ðŸĪŠ… 

Yeah I’ve not seen a triple Kwacker on the road for a couple of years now. I will make sure I get a video of mine when it’s eventually running. 

I’m actually quite excited to be getting the speakers up and running perfect again. I’ve done a couple of rebuilds before and it’s quite therapeutic to see and hear them again. And of course to get some vinyl spinning again including Paloma 👍

Hope you’ve got the grass done ? 

Phil

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 01:09

🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐏🐏🐏🐏🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑ðŸĨą

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 07:20

Trouble sleeping?

Not to brag but I was pushing out Z's.

Baaa

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 08:41

Adrian, I take 15mg Mirtazapine every night and it’s magic. Without it I can’t sleep for hours and my mind goes off to some dark places. So I rely on it and it works every night. Maybe speak to your GP ? 
Hope you get it sorted 👍

Phil

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 09:21

Ive been to see them Phil, they wont prescribe sleeping tablets, apparently they become too addictive?

A new smug GP said, "You'll have to make some life changes. I thought you cheeky g*t. I've already had to make loads of them.🙂

I'll probably be back to sleeping like a baby next week. Wetting myself and crying all night.😄

How are you sleeping following your chemo?

Edited by member 23 May 2024 at 09:22  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 09:26

Mirtazapine is actually an anti depressant but at 15mg it’s more a sleep aid. 
Still sleeping well which I’m very pleased about. 😁

Still feeling ok today. Just have to remember to take my anti nausea pills 30 mins before food which I’m not used to. 

Phil

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 10:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
 Just have to remember to take my anti nausea pills 30 mins before food which I’m not used to.

If my wife was cooking, I'd need a handful! 😄

Joking apart, I'm pleased you doing well.👍

Edited by member 23 May 2024 at 11:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 10:13

Probably sounds a bit daft Adrian, but have you tried a herbal remedy or melatonin tablets for sleep? My wife uses one, I'll report back with the name when I get it.

Great you're feeling okay Phil, hope it stays that way ðŸĪžðŸŧ

Managed to mow the lawn before this week's monsoon so that's a good result. 

The bluetits haven't fledged yet but I reckon they're ready to go. Watching them on the camera, it feels like they're part of the family. 

Cheers,

Kev.

Edited by member 23 May 2024 at 10:25  | Reason: Added note

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 11:00

Probably sounds a bit daft Adrian, but have you tried a herbal remedy

Ey up, Kev.

I've tried a spliff but that just makes me giggle. 

Joking apart and talking of grass. I managed to get my lawn cut prior to the monsoon. It looks great after a good soaking.

I think I may have already mentioned (add memory loss to the increasing list of ailments) we've started feeding our blackbirds sultanas. They've become so tame they come to the kitchen patio door waiting for them. We're well repaid, they sing beautifully for their supper.

Edited by member 23 May 2024 at 22:12  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 13:32

Must take a lot of patience to train a blackbird. 

You'll be known as the blackbird whisperer 👍🏞

Cheers, 

Kev.

User
Posted 23 May 2024 at 13:57

I've always managed to get birds to eat from my hand.  🙄

Edited by member 24 May 2024 at 13:00  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 01:38

Hi All,

Guess that you all might be expecting and waiting for the usual Friday happy SpongeBob pi$$ef up Friday msg. 
Well, gotta admit at least to being a bit pi$$ef ðŸ˜ą yet again. However…

I know that this is a bit off piste but I think I’ve just experienced one of the worst days of my life, in fact definitely in the top 5, (and believe it or not is nothing to do with our nemesis PCa ’.)

I went to pick up ‘Golden Boy’ I.e. son no 1 from Uni today. In his day he was a top top competitive swimmer and in his toddler years the sweatiest and most cheakiest of little gits 😎.
When he was in 6th form however and then at Uni we knew he was a but shy but nothing in his personality would prepare us for what was to unfold. The following is a very shortened detail about events we experienced. 

Unfortunately, in year one he got the wrong end of the Govt dictats on Covid ( students, even normal students were stuffed by the dictats). Anyway, he did manage to pass it, helped ironically as it was all online (so didn’t have to attend lectures/workshops in person).
Then in year 2 he failed it due to issues with his ‘ social anxiety’ - that is as it transpired he was too scared to leave his room even to attend lectures - the story of all this of which he kept hidden from us (his parents). 
Of course, eventually I did find out, and then with great tribulations I got him to refer to ‘student well-being’ and as I’d stopped working I was then able to take a very hands on approach with having a call with him every single day and in doing so I successfully managed to guide him through his repeat 2nd year. I need a separate 10,000 word blog to describe the ineffectiveness of the ‘student well-being’ and other counselling- you wouldn’t believe!). 
Then, still carrying on with daily calls with him in his final year I thought, with more than a sigh of relief, that he’d actually turned a corner.

But, today having just brought him back home he broke down and confessed, he’d not attended any lectures and not handed in any assignments for his final year. He’d lied to me every single day. Instead of working, he’d just sat in his room, too scared to go out, too scared even to go in the kitchen to eat.
He’s basically spent 4 years at Uni without speaking to anyone, not going to lectures, not doing assignments, not doing anything. Whilst, building up a student debt of approx £60k.

Of course, he has had minimal contact from the Uni, I doubt if anyone there at Uni would even recognise my son. As it turned out, no-one really chased him for not attending lectures or missing assignment deadlines. It has been incredibly poor on their behalf, they have supervisors for group work and project work except they don’t ‘supervise’, I reckon they have the easiest and most unaccountable job in world. I used to work for IBM and I would have got my arse kicked into the next century and around the Universe if I’d behaved like those lecturers/tutors in neglecting people under my responsibility.

So here I am having to pick up the pieces of a wreck of a boy who has wasted 4 years of his life sitting in a room, not talking to anyone, and not having learnt anything. It breaks my heart into pieces, to think how he has survived like this - why didn’t he tell me? I could have helped him. After all the drivel they were teaching him was piss, from what I saw I could do it my sleep, what a waste of money. It must have been hell for my son, it’s a thought that I’m really struggling with.
I wondering if my sister was right as I am really enjoying having the 3 gnomes she got me for my birthday I take them out on day trips, they don’t complain, they don’t empty my fridge or give me any problems. A tempting alternative to kids 😎

Any advice wellcome ðŸĪ”â˜đïļ

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 07:51

Hi Spongebob, 

Sorry to hear this. I can't offer much advice but I think there is enormous pressure for kids to go to university these days. Personally, I'm a big fan of the old fashioned apprenticeships,

One of ours went and was caught up in the pandemic not long into her first year. With zero pastoral care, they basically took the money and ran. All the promises of student welfare, facilities and help with job placements evaporated into thin air. We had a choice, leave her there to potentially be locked up in the accommodation or bring her home. I won't bore you with the whole story, but I think the universities have failed their students and need to be challenged. Also, I think it's important that your son gets some (mental health) help, he's obviously struggling.

Hopefully you can find a way through this.

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 08:06

So here I am having to pick up the pieces of a wreck of a boy who has wasted 4 years of his life sitting in a room, not talking to anyone, and not having learnt anything. It breaks my heart into pieces, to think how he has survived like this - why didn’t he tell me? I could have helped him.

It must be absolutely gutting for you and him. You've obviously been a very kind, attentive, and understanding dad and I suspect your lad will feel devasted that he's 'let you down' When in reality, he has been suffering from severe psychological issues which have been grossly exacerbated by the ineptitude of the university.

One of my kids had mental health issues at University. He was medically assessed and unfortunately, left after three years unqualified. He's doing fine now, and eventually found a job he loves. 

I have very strong opinions on universities, which I'll try and contain, otherwise I'll get barred from here.

You're going through a lot mate with your treatment. If you're anything like me, you'll not be as strong, mentally and physically as before. Make sure you take care of yourself.

I wish you, and the rest of your family well.

Edited by member 25 May 2024 at 10:45  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 09:32

I think there is enormous pressure for kids to go to university these days. Personally, I'm a big fan of the old fashioned apprenticeships,

I joined the Army at 18, signed on for 3 years. I went from long haired, care free, art student, living at home and being cared for and financially supported by my parents. To short haired soldier crying over how I wished I learnt how to iron and having to look after myself. It was a great shock to my system. 

Those few weeks of basic training nearly broke me and almost half left. However those that remained helped each other survive. 

Three years later, I left and joined the police. Most of the police service, in those days, were made up of ex service personnel or folk who had moved from other occupations. The thing they all had in common was some experience of life. The bosses had all worked their way up through the ranks and generally knew what they were on about.

15 years later, as educational entry levels got higher and higher, more and more recruits came from uni. They were nice young people, but had very little life experience. At the same time they started introducing accelerated promotion courses for officers with degrees. The bosses were becoming better academically qualified but less experienced and less in touch with their work force.

In my opinion, this is part of the reason the service went into decline.

Despite this, I'm still a great believer in education, but the target of getting 50% of youngsters to university is totally ridiculous.

Whoops! I'm beginning to sound like my late father, and I've just slipped off my soap box! 

Edited by member 25 May 2024 at 10:52  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 14:10

I was a university lecturer/reader in Electrical Engineering for over thirty years and Deputy Head of Department when I retired in 2000. In all those years I did not experience a tragic case like Spongebob’s son. He couldn’t have been better father.

Each student normally should have a named lecturer who is a personal tutor, responsible for his/her academic performance and pastoral care. Lecturers should have noticed that this student was not doing his work, and should have reported their concerns to his personal tutor, who would then investigate and take the necessary action. Of course because students are regarded as adults, tutors must be very careful about bringing  their parents into the picture, but it can be done. I feel both very angry and sad that this young man’s university failed to look after him.

First year students, particularly during the pandemic period, needed to be monitored carefully and given help with their studies and the tutors should have kept an eye on them. In my university all first-year students were allocated personal tutors who were required to meet their group of students once a week in their office. This arrangement was designed to identify students who needed academic help or pastoral support. I recall two occasions when I had to intervene. One of my tutor students did not come to my once-a-week session for a couple of weeks and also did not attend lectures and laboratory sessions. I had to take an unprecedented step to get permission to enter his room which had no sign of its occupant. I rang his mother to find that he had decided to discontinue his studies and was safely back at home. On another occasion a first-year female student broke down in my office told me that her parents were coming to collect her to take her back which I thought wasn’t in her best interest. With her permission I called her mother to delay her visit and I took (permission from my head) her to our house to meet my wife and daughter. We had dinner, talked about her problems which were about her accommodation. Just having the chance to talk through her worries seemed to help resolve her feeling of crisis. My wife and I drove her back to the university. The following morning I contacted the Accommodation Officer and found her a more suitable room. Three years later she graduated with a first, I met her parents at the graduation ceremony: the last I heard of her she had a management job with London Underground. I feel quite proud of myself!

One of the reasons I took early retirement was that in last few years I used to lecture to very large classes consisting of a significant number of students who should have never been advised to peruse or accepted for university studies. But the government policy of 50% participation rate meant that we had to drop our intake grades, resulting in a drop in degree standard. In my opinion at least half the universities should be offering vocational courses to produce a workforce badly needed by our industries. There would then be enough institutions so that students could go to their local colleges and would save them having to pay rents and living costs. This would delay these students from flying the nest - better than wasting three to four years obtaining unsuitable, dubious qualifications and coming back to their parents with a significant debt.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 14:28

Pratap. What a fantastic post. Thank you for giving me an insight in how things should be done. I can see the dilemma of higher education establishments having to treat students as adults and not as children and the difficulties that presents of involving parents.👍

Edited by member 25 May 2024 at 14:30  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 15:11

Hi Pratap,

That is exactly what I would hope for and expect. At both the open and offer holder days we were sold a vision with assurance that students would be actively engaged (even the most ‘nerdy’ of students). We were told as parents to not worry. 
It’s not difficult is it? 10 mins per week just to check the attendance stats of the students under your remit and then to follow up asap on any students that you find are ducking out. Ditto with those who miss assignments.

Thanks very much for your comments, much appreciated, I’m just trying to work out what to do and get a plan of action in place. Priority is sorting out my son, to get him the help he needs and to basically reintroduce him to society and a pathway to work. And I want to engage with the University, at the least I want to try encourage them to review cases like my son’s, to learn from it. Any steps that they can put in place as a result to help other struggling students would be good. I’m thinking of canvassing other parents who have experienced similar with their young people to see if I can get a collective together.

Anyway best get this chat back to gardening 😎. I’ve just cut the grass, and in time to watch the cup final.

cheers

Spongebob

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 16:05

I’ve just cut the grass, and in time to watch the cup final.

What a second half it should be! I've already done four tins of 1664!

Late edit. So happy for my grandson! Who's a big United fan! Great game. 

Edited by member 25 May 2024 at 17:05  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 18:17

Hi SpongeBob 

so sorry to read this, I really feel for you as I have been in exactly the same position, even down to the repeating a year. 

When I discovered he had never left his room after the first term, I can’t begin to tell you how devastated I was, but I guess you know!

anyway for me that was 8 years ago and I just wanted to reach out and tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel. My son did complete his degree using some credits that he had managed to get and two years with the open university. 

he didn’t accrue more debt at this time as he managed to self fund by working as well.

He did rebuild his life and I couldn’t be prouder of him.

hope everything works out  for your son 

User
Posted 25 May 2024 at 22:01

Hi Spongebob

I hope you manage to get some answers from your son's university. If it were me - of course I don't know any of the details - if appropriate I would write directly to the Vice Chancellor and ask for a meeting with him and  the other relevant members of the university.  There have been so many cases of students not receiving the support they need, including suicides, the universities are terrified of bad publicity and so they should be. A young man left with a debt of £60k with  no support and no qualifications  to show for it is a scandal.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 00:12

Hi Pratap,

I really appreciate your input here, with your expertise of University operations. I do want to go after the Uni, to get some accountability but more to try ensure that they improve their practices to prevent/limit future similar cases. I’ll clear my head and pm you some more detail tomorrow (Sunday).

Many thanks

Spongebob

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 01:13

so sorry to read this, I really feel for you as I have been in exactly the same position, even down to the repeating a year. 

Hi Mags,

I really appreciate your comments. My son is an extreme example but I am aware that many students are struggling, there are many who spend most of their time just sitting in their rooms. 
So, so very different from my day when Uni was just the best thing that could ever have happened - it was so good. BUT in those days we didn’t have the virtual and techno world that today’s kids have.  I spent most of my time drinking, brewing beer, playing football and going to parties. We kept our doors always open having many a chat into the small hours - usually chats about girls or ‘birds’ as we were allowed to refer to them in those days ðŸ˜ą. I don’t think either of my kids have been to a party yet! And they certainly don’t dare to leave their doors open in case they might have to actually talk to someone - they’re zombies.

cheers

Sponge

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 08:01

Sponge,

I don't know if this would be helpful but I was in a similar position some years ago and the way I managed to extract my son from his bedroom was by buying a table tennis table and getting him out to pay TT several times a day plus a couple of games of tennis a week. Physical of course but if your son is not keen on mixing it with people it's a non-threatening step back to the real world. Might sound trivial but it got things moving. Could be irrelevant of course. I know you've got more than enough to deal with yourself, so tennis would be right off the table but maybe something else, bowls, croquet ... doesn't matter really. Another member of your family to help out?

As for Unis! For me and many of my friends the social experience and exchange of ideas outside of lectures was probably more important than the course subjects. Here in Australia successive governments have moved from a time when we had free tertiary education to a situation where Unis are sausage factories for making money. On top of that, because they were regarded as hotbeds of dangerous student activism, the whole under-grad social system was deliberately dismantled and that was a huge loss.

Long decline, starting from the mid '70's, which puts it beyond living memory for most of the population.

I only get to say this stuff because it isn't in any way critical of UK policy of course 😀

The other thing here, is that for your son, I'd guess that your prostate cancer is a worry for him, even if it doesn't show.

I wish all the best of you and your family.

Jules

Edited by member 26 May 2024 at 11:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 13:17

University: Never considered it as no one in my family ever went and my parents weren’t exactly supportive. I couldn’t even be arsed with the 11 plus so ended up at a s*** Comprehensive School. At 13 me and my little bruv were fostered and moved schools for 18 months and it was magic but had to move back and missed all my options as 4th year had already started , subsequently messed up all my exams and had a to do a year at college re sitting CSEs as GCEs plus an engineering course. Which set me on a design direction apprenticeship in the automotive business which I did till PCa reared its head. 

Kids: Our oldest told us the day before his A level results that he didn’t want to do uni. Mix of not wanting debt plus girlfriend. Ok no probs , but you need a job. Started soon at a bank and now works for Barclays in Jersey. 
Youngest was harder. In his mid teens he struggled at school  and it was very hard work for us. Self harm and running off etc. Started at college but hated it, so stopped going. Then someone told us how good he was at IT and so we got him in on a course. He never looked back and now earns a fortune doing cloud security. ( why does a cloud need security ðŸĪĢ). 

So neither did Uni, and agree with other comments here that it seems wrong that the perception is you have to do it to get a decent job. It depends on the job. Hearing so many sad tales about the stress, debt etc. The Gov’t keep prattling on about apprenticeships but what’s actually changed.??? 

We need more of the money getting down to grass roots level and not washing around at the top end with consultants and management getting their big fat kickback. I know this happens as I know a guy who was CEO of a quite large College that did apprenticeships not A levels and tried to help the kids out. Some of the kids stories of how they managed home life with still getting to college every day were harrowing. 

I really hope you can get your kids sorted now you know and understand the problems they’ve been trying to keep from you. 

Blimey, didn’t realise I felt so strongly about it ðŸĪĶ‍♀ïļ 

Sorry if I’ve rambled on and it’s not very grammatically correct but I didn’t want to go back and dilute it down. Plus I’m a poor Comprehensive kid ðŸĪĢ When I was in my 20’s and started learning German my teacher said we are all so rubbish at our own language that she needs to teach us English first. Talk about embarrassing.. 

Phil

Edited by member 26 May 2024 at 13:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 13:39

I remember showing my two lads, when they were studying further maths at A level, one of my old GCE,  O level maths papers. They didn't have a clue how to answer them. They thought a slide rule was don't go down head first.

Edited by member 26 May 2024 at 13:40  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 13:42

They thought a slide rule was don't go down head first

Love that ðŸĪĢ

Did you have to use Log tables too ? I defiantly wouldn’t know where to start with them now….

Edited by member 26 May 2024 at 13:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 15:08

Kids eh?

A few minutes in the sheets (or the back seat of a car) creating them, and a lifetime worrying about them!

Our bluetits fledged Friday morning and were hanging around in a nearby tree. Having watched them on our nestbox camera over the last few weeks they've become family. They don't ask to borrow the car or money though, but we still worried that they might not all make it, especially with two days of monsoon rain.

Anyway, not to brag, but we're now in a villa on Lanzagrotty with the eldest and grand daughter. Nightmare drive to Gatwick though, had to go the long way round when there was an accident on the M25. Just made it in time to get some use out of the lounge, the highlight being a pancake machine. 

As for gardening, I can't help myself, I've already gone round picking up bits of palm tree. 

Salud!

Kev.

User
Posted 26 May 2024 at 15:13

Yeah, sines and co sines and tangents, plus quadratic equations. God only knows, how I'd have got through life without knowing them. 

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 09:17

Anyway, not to brag, but we're now in a villa on Lanzagrotty with the eldest and grand daughter.

Nice move Kev. Typical bank holiday weather here, cold wet and windy. Have a great time. Any blue tits over there? 😊

Edited by member 27 May 2024 at 10:43  | Reason: Emoji.

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 10:47

Have a great time Kev. ☀ïļ ðŸŧ ðŸĨ˜ 

Phil

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 11:51

Nice move Kev. Typical bank holiday weather here, cold wet and windy. Have a great time. Any blue tits over there? 😊

And to add insult to injury, I'm sat at work! Have a great time 👍

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 15:29

Hi Spongebag

I am just about to PM you with my thoughts.

Regards

Pratap

Edited by member 27 May 2024 at 16:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 16:06

Hi Kev

As a retired academic (Lecturer/Reader/Deputy Head of Electrical Engineering Department) I am sorry and angry to read about your daughter's experience at her university during the pandemic. I totally agree with you that some universities have totally failed in their duty of care, both academic and pastoral, during the Covid lockdown and ought to be challenged. I guess many personal tutors failed in their duties to keep in touch with their students during this period. They should have provided the necessary virtual face-to-face contact via ZOOM.

User
Posted 27 May 2024 at 19:32

Hi Spongebag

I am just about to PM you with my thoughts.

Regards

Pratap

Hi Pratap, 
Excellent, many thanks for taking the time to do this. 
I’m grateful for this chat, reading all your comments about this predicament has given me some comfort. It’s a good example of the value that this site provides.

cheers

Spongebob

User
Posted 28 May 2024 at 12:42

Thank you Adrian. I am afraid the subject is a bee in my bonnet. I don't regard myself as a conservative but you can imagine that I wasn't popular with some of my very left wing colleagues!

User
Posted 01 Jun 2024 at 11:24

Guess that you all might be expecting and waiting for the usual Friday happy SpongeBob pi$$ef up Friday msg. 

Where were you last night Spongebob? I look forward to our Friday night natters.

It's all extremely subdued this end. 

For six years, prior to my prostatectomy, 16 months ago. Me and my younger brother used to take it in turns, a month about, caring for my mum. She lived with us at our respective houses. From the day dad died, we took over caring for her, she was 93 years old at that time.

Even at that age she was physically fit, could still touch her toes, and was mentally alert. She'd spend most of her days off doing wordsearches, crosswords and reading. She was a school dinner lady for over twenty years and adored kids. She was still most happy when she was with her grandkids.

Unfortunately whilst caring for her, both me and my bro were diagnosed with PCa. This coupled with other health issues made continuing to look after her impossible, and we had to put her into a local care home. She was 100 years old this January, and got a card from Chaz and Cami.

Unfortunately, a few days ago mum began to fade quickly, and currently is  now on 'end of life' care. I know she's had one hell of an Innings and no-one can live forever, but it's still sad to see her in the state she is. She was always as bright as a button, but just in the last week, although still just responsive, she doesn't recognise us anymore.

Her room is full of photos, telling the story of her life. Pictures of her and dad when they first met, she was a nurse and he was a soldier. Photos of her with me and my bro when we were toddlers, right through to photos of her with her greatgrand kids. It makes you think of your own mortality.

Although she is being very well cared for, the poor old gal has no longer got any quality of life.

At least I can get some comfort from knowing that she, unlike myself, is a 'believer' and is looking forward to being back with dad.

In-between visits we'll just be waiting for the inevitable phone call.

It's like were all living in limbo.

Edited by member 02 Jun 2024 at 08:23  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 01 Jun 2024 at 13:20

Ha ha - yes, trying to learn a lesson by keeping off social media after a few drinks ðŸĪ”
Very touching story about your mum. My mum is 90 this year, she used to be very active and always bright as a button. She’s always read books, tons of them. The last few years haven’t been good for her as she has lost her mobility, ironically seems to have originated from her being pulled over by her dog whilst out on one of her long dog walks. I’ve been amazed by her dogged determination to get on with it. She still orders us all around and tells us off even though me, my brother and sister all in our 60s 😎😎.

Coincidentally, I was reading an article about end of life experiences in the Tory Mail this morning. Very interesting, this nurse describing what she’s experienced whilst caring for end of life - people seeing a bright light etc. It would be nice if there really was a heavenly place that we will end up going to - if so let’s hope that you can get a decent pint there and watch a decent game of footy âš―ïļðŸš

Oops can’t forget to add that it would also be a nice thought that you could get fantastic never ending curry and would be good too to have my mountain bike there, they must have some good trails to ride up there.

Anyway, got to go cut the grass now. Also the missus wants me to put a trellis up of all things ðŸ˜ą

Edited by member 01 Jun 2024 at 13:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jun 2024 at 17:01

Also the missus wants me to put a trellis up of all things ðŸ˜ą

Is that a euphemism? 😉

User
Posted 01 Jun 2024 at 17:07

Just back from cutting the grass and putting up a tressle ðŸŦĻ.
Whilst doing my Alan Titchmarching in the garden I was mulling over this heaven business and it dawned on me as to what an absolutely fabulous football team there must be in there. God has pick of the best, just think Bobby Charlton, George Best, Eusebio, Johan Cruyff, Bobby Moore, Pele etc (not sure Maradonna would get considered, I know he is worshipped in Naples and Argentina, but would God forgive him for cheating with that handball?). So I bet you do get some excellent footy up there 😀.

Of course no heavenly team would be complete without my football hero, Bradford City and Northern Irish legend Bobby Campbell. He terrorised lower league Centre Half’s. Mind you God would have his work cut out dragging big Bobby away from the heavenly bar. I remember many years back, at Oldham, it was a corner or maybe a cross from open play, the ball floated into the Oldham penalty area. Big Bobby went up for the ball with the Oldham keeper and both ball and keeper were battered into the net (No VAR in those days). And the ref gave the goal!! Joe Royle who was Oldham manager went absolutely ballistic on the touch line. The good old days 😎

User
Posted 01 Jun 2024 at 17:28

In God's team, I suppose his lad would be in goal.

Jesus saves. ðŸ™‚

I've been in the garden this morning. Cutting the grass and trimming shrubs and conifers.

Just won 60 quid on the Derby. Now watching Leeds and Castleford rugby league, should be a good close game. Followed by golf, the Canadian Open. Just as well me and the wife have got individual viewing rooms. She hates most sports. 🙂

Just remembered there's  also T20 cricket. Birmingham v Nottingham and the TT highlights to fit in. The old remote control will be getting hammered tonight. So might I, I've  got a fridge full of Stella.😁

Edited by member 01 Jun 2024 at 18:03  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 01 Jun 2024 at 18:01

In God's team, I suppose his lad would be in goal.

Jesus saves. ðŸ™‚

Just as well me and the wife have got individual viewing rooms. She hates most sports. 🙂

My missus the same, hates sports, although she did put up a good pretence when we first met, but I think a cold night at Port Vale soon put an end to that.

Yep, I manage to view my sports separately too, leaving her to her Netflix or whatever it is she watches 😎 (can’t be that good as it appears to need Prosecco goggle eyes to watch it)..

User
Posted 04 Jun 2024 at 12:11

Hi Spongebob,

I read your post about the rear end issues following RT. That was Feb I believe. How is it going now - are things settling down and you getting out with confidence again. Sorry if I missed an update elsewhere.

Thanks Ross

User
Posted 04 Jun 2024 at 12:42

Hi Spongebob,

I read your post about the rear end issues following RT. That was Feb I believe. How is it going now - are things settling down and you getting out with confidence again. Sorry if I missed an update elsewhere.

Thanks Ross

Hi Ross,

Yes, I had a few dodgy moments towards the end of my radiation and then for a couple of weeks afterwards. I used to reach for the Imodiums (in fact they were cheaper Imodium substitute) quite often, There was a spell where I didn’t think I could get around the dog walk without needing ‘to go’., so chickened out and didn’t get out for a week or two. But glad to report that this has since settled down.

I still have a few slight changes in my bowel habits. I now tend to need ‘to go’ before I go to bed - that’s definitely new for me. And then early morning, I wake up and need ‘to go’ urgently! I’ll be knocking the bathroom doors down if they were occupied when I wake up 😎

I’ve also found that exercise can also bring it on, just like it does for cocker spaniels. Tried a bike ride the other day only for an hour, but then urgently needed ‘to go’, lucky for me I was back home in time. And, yesterday did a 5 hour trek in the Dales, up Ingleboro but then had an uncomfortable last hour walking back, checking off the yards with an unbearable urge ‘to go’. Fortunately made it back to a cafe in time, without having to reach for a spade behind a tree.

So yes, things have settled down a lot, but not back to normal yet.

How’d things with you? Are you going through similar or about to go through similar?

cheers

Spongebob

User
Posted 06 Jun 2024 at 17:50

Hi guys , Just checking in with you all. Hope you’re all keeping good?

Had a busy day and I’m knackered now. New electric garage door this morning. Wow, what a difference …. 

Ikea delivery this afternoon and no I haven’t started assembling yet. That’s is for tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow morning back to Lakeside to change me new suit trousers. I got big gut size now with Steroid belly and that means the trouser legs are a bit wide. So someone told me to go for slim fit trousers with narrower legs. So back we go to see if that works…….. Don’t you love a bit of shopping….

I also removed a radiator and pipe work from the conservatory this morning to make way for a new fancy vertical one that will take up less room. Did a bit of polyfilling and painting in there too.

Also got a young lad here removing a hideous concrete wall down the side of the house which causes a bit of a flood in the garage occasionally, so we can put some drainage down. Poor lad he’s working so hard i feel quite guilty……! But it really is too much for me now. No stamina or strength left…😕

So all in all got a few ticks on the list of jobs… that’s what i like.

Was hoping for a glass of wine in the summerhouse when the missus gets in from work but the suns gone in and it’s got a lot cooler now. 

So take care guys, keep busy 👍

Phil

User
Posted 06 Jun 2024 at 18:19

Bloomin' Eck Phil you make me feel tired just reading about all the work you do!  You've got more stamina or strength now than I had pre diagnosis.

I'm so glad that you're cracking on with life despite your treatment. Good man, you put me to shame.

I hope you and the wife enjoy a glass of wine, you deserve it mate.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2024 at 20:26

Blimey Phil.

You've put me to shame too, hopefully my Mrs doesn't read your post or I'll have to up my game to keep up!

In my defence, I have been busy doing some volunteering at our lido, some bricklaying to repair a wall that's been driven into a few times. I was only supposed to sort out a wobbly step and got roped in to more jobs. 

As for wide trousers.. maybe flares are back in fashion? ðŸĪ·ðŸ―‍♂ïļ

At least you've saved the wine for another day, should last a bit longer until the next booze cruise 😁

Cheers all.

Kev.