I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

constipation

User
Posted 05 Nov 2015 at 09:44

hi,dont post a lot but i do read a lot. 1yr after rt i have started to suffer with constipation,is there any other guys that have this problem,i am on ht for 3yrs.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 00:17

Hi Radar,
I think a visit to the GP would be a good idea - you shouldn't assume that the constipation is to do with your radiotherapy. If it isn't down to a change in your diet or not drinking enough water and it seems the problem is RT-related, the GP should be able to give you a prescription for something to help.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 06:06

hi radar
I suffer with it on and off am on chemo and HT long term, have some Domperidone given to me for the chemo for anti sickness not needed them for that but do seem to help when I suffer with constipation

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 09:58

radar

Its ongoing since treatment started even though it ended years back. Can’t say its an issue as I’ve learned to control it pretty much Ok. Basically what I could get away with pre-treatment I can’t now. So at least 5 a day everyday, exercise, no waiting to get home, if you need to go then go, no prolonged straining as sometimes you get all the signals you want to open bowels but you don’t need to. HT also caused me digestion issues as at times some foods were fine then other times not so - my favorite granary bread was at times Ok then not then Ok etc etc. So that’s a case of monitoring your diet and seeing what works or not for you. Watch that fluid intake as it can be very tempting to reduce it if you have bladder frequency issues. By doing that constipation can happen which in my case increased bladder frequency. That seems like a long list but it just comes a natural thing to do now.

Hope my experience to-date helps some

Ray

Edited by member 06 Nov 2015 at 10:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 10:31

Hi Michael,

Some time ago we talked through this issue at my local support group.

The consensus seemed to be that one of the longer term side effects of external beam radiotherapy, is that we lose some flexibility and sensitivity in our back passage.

We were nearly all finding that the bore of our backsides was diminished, before treatment we had passed big healthy stools like sausages, now they were somewhat thinner like chipolatas!

Also, where in the past, we could sit on the toilet, and gain a pretty good idea, from the feeling and sensation of passing stools, quite how big they were and how many we had passed, now to some extent we sit there for a while with no real idea of quite what was going on.  It is only when we stand up and look in the toilet bowl that we see what we have accomplished.

So while I haven't found that RT/HT is causing constipation, it has given me a tighter backside, which makes constipation seem worse.

An excellent remedy is to go on a high/fibre diet, give the Jane Plant diet a go, a few days of curried beans and rhubarb should do the trick?   

:)

Dave

Edited by member 06 Nov 2015 at 10:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 11:56

Hi Radar,

I think most of the time I've suffered with the opposite in the year since my RT ended.  The only times when I've suffered constipated is when I'm in hospital, I can't seem to go while I'm there.  It must be the diet they give you while you're there.

Hope things improve for you.

Steve

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 12:24

Dave strange how treatment effects us differently. As you say until you look in the bowel you've no idea what lies beneath. Sometimes I'm amazed how a large cucumber can pass through me with no discomfort whatsoever and no I haven't got a large rear end :-)

Be well

Ray

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 17:13

thankyou,see how i go on.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 20:04

Hi Ray,

I guess the treatment hasn't effected us that differently, in that it may have desensitised us, so that we both need to look in the bowl to see what's there?

:)

Dave