Show search

Notification

Error

Chronic prostatitis

User
Posted 29 Oct 2016 at 09:53

Hi;

I wonder if any of you could help?

My Husband is 61 - had a psa of 5.8  6 months ago - had MRI scan which showed areas they werent happy with then biopsy (sp it was pretty targeted) 12 needle biopsy and the result came back as No PIN No Malignancy but mild Chronic Prostatitis and atrophy.

Mild symptoms urinary flow good no infection but odd tweak in groin

6 months later (this week) he went for his psa results and they were 8.4 which has made us feel really worried.

DRE seemed normal and smooth but a bit "boggy" which we were told is what happens with chronic prostatitis.

The consultant has said nothing is black and white and the MDT are going to look at my husbands case to decide how to proceed.

We are worried now as we thought this was all over when we got the results of the targeted biopsy?

can anyone advise?

thanks so much

J

User
Posted 29 Oct 2016 at 13:33
VJ

A 66 year old work colleague of mine had a fluctuating PSA that at times hit 25 he had several biopsies including a template biopsy. After about three years form his first test he was told to go home and forget about it he did not have cancer. He does suffer with colitis.

Your oh could be lucky and be in the same situation.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 29 Oct 2016 at 13:35

thanks Chris - fingers crossed - appreciate you replying

Jenny

User
Posted 29 Oct 2016 at 13:51

Hi Jenny
I'm sure they will keep an eye on him and let's hope he stays clear. The problem is , a TRUS biopsy can be very hit and miss and fail to target the cancer like in my case. My PSA was climbing and climbing but it took 2 TRUS and a template before they found my cancer which was unfortunately already on my bladder and in my lymph nodes. The fact you have no pins nor asaps is good though x

User
Posted 05 Dec 2016 at 17:02

Jenny,

A late comment. May be too late to be useful.

There are 4 types of prostatitis and you can find the details at Medscape website at http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/785418-overview. Type 1 and 2 are acute and chronic INFECTIOUS prostatitis: does not seem to be the type your husband is suffering from. Has hesuffered from UTIs or pain there with fever and malaise?

The most common type of prostatitis detected by biopsies is type 4: the cause is not known and there is no proven treatment. It can cause elevated PSA that may force you to accept repeat biopsies. Some might try prolonged courses of ibuprofen or other NSAIDs, but you need to discuss with your urologist or your doctor. Type 3 is also non-infectious but usually causes symptoms and, again is difficult to treat.

Giuseppe