I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Oncologist

User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 23:49

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in June 2018, was put on cyproterone for 3weeks in august then had a zolodex implant in at end of August,had another12week implant put in in the November,had all my scans done at local hospital which were all fine,cancer didn't show on any of them,it was the biopsy that said I had Gleason 7,a mixture of 4+3 and 3+4 cells...my oncologist has me booked in for 21 sessions of external beam radiotherapy and has told me that I won't have to have another implant in February....can anyone tell me how she would know this??...I've been told it's localised in report....I'm 51year old ...also it took me 10 months of nagging the doctor to do the psa test as he just kept telling me it was chronic prostatitis as I had a history for that probablies through taking anabolic steroids off and on for 20yearsand a psa would be innacurate because of the prostatitis...he was stunned when biopsy came back positive for cancer....lost for words apart from saying I was the youngest man he had ever known as a patient have Gleason 7

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 02:14
Your GP sounds a bit naive; we have members here with prostate cancer in their 40s and a handful still in their 30s.

Not sure what you mean about how does the onco know you won’t be having HT in February? The onco decides how long you need it for and it sounds like she has decided that you only need 6 months. Six months HT with curative RT was the standard for many years until research about 4 years ago concluded that the longer you stayed on HT the better the chance of remission; however, this year another bit of research found that extending it beyond 6 months makes no difference to the outcome. By finishing HT at the same time as your RT, you will only have to wait 18 months to know whether it worked ... if you stayed on HT for 3 years there would be no way of knowing until months or years after that.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 09:58
I was to have had 6 months of HT including RT but because of delay in starting RT, the HT extended to 8 months. I have since had tumour regrow and had salvage treatment. I sometimes think I might have done better to have continued with HT for some months after RT as now seems to be the more usual practice. It comes down to the judgement of the Oncologist and another might well think you should continue with HT for a longer period. You could ask your Oncologist but longer on HT does of course mean more time for side effects.
Barry
User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 17:28
I have my appointment with my oncologist 8th January will let you know what he has to say about my treatment, I am also Gleeson 7 localised and have been on HT for about 5 weeks so far

Bob