I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

re radiotherapy

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 18:28

Hi all , I am going for a CT planning scan next week then radiotherapy at the end of the month for 4 wks. Now very anxious . I have found the NHS have been very helpful in these difficult times, and the same applies to this site. 

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 22:38
Hi Kelso, I have gone through 20 days of RT. You will be told to drink a certain amount of water about 20 mins before RT. I only had one episode of a full bowel, which they tell you during the session, when you then have to have an enema , which only takes a few minutes, then you return for the RT. They could give you some enemas for future problems if you feel you need to take one. Hope all goes well. I had a PSA of 29 before RT, I had test a week or so later and it of .02.
User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 18:57

Hi Gra1. I had salvage RT for 4 weeks from Dec 2020 to Jan 2021. 

I honestly could not have hoped for an easier experience. A bit of a faff taking a half litre of water 30 mins before each session to get the bladder full (my regime at Beatson Glasgow).  Jumping off the table after to get to the loo quickly.

The actual RT is very quick (10 mins?). With a few minutes before to set up.

Go in with confidence. It will be fine.

Jim

Edited by member 10 Jan 2022 at 19:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 19:34

I agree with  Graham had 37 lots off radiotherapy  last March with not any problems  bit sore at times and more toilet visits  at night  but bearable  good luck 👍 

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 19:35

Jim sorry 😞 

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 09:58
When I was diagnosed / treated back in 2019 (six months of hormone therapy then 20 sessions of radiotherapy). at the 'planning meeting' the biggest shock was to get 3 little blue tattoos - one on each hip and one on my pubis! Aiming marks, apparently, for when the rt treatmant starts. I still have them - like a badge of pride! Before you go in for the rt appointments, make sure that you are well hydrated- drink water steadily throughout the day. If you don't, the water you drink just before the rt session will not go into your bladder, but into your tissues, and the radiographers will send you out if the treatment room to get 'filled up'. Once you are lined up on the table, the machine will hum and spin around a bit while they do a scan. The 'treatment phase' is quick - maybe about a minute - to me it sounded like a mosquito was in the room. You are lying on a machine which cost the thick end of a million quid - I was fascinated by it!

Hermit

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 14:52

As someone who has been involved with machine control engineering my working life I'd agree with Hermit - the machine itself is fascinating if you're that way inclined..

I found myself counting seconds as the machine rotated for the actual treatment phase - one elephant, two elephants, three elephants etc. and the traversing actually took 60 elephants first in one direction and then another 60 in the reverse rotation.

On a few occasions the machine rotated the opposite way to the rest of the time. I couldn't find anyone to explain why that was.

The arms have four different bits of kit, performing different functions, on them evenly spaced - so each passes overhead at 15 elephant intervals.

Anyway a total of two minutes of treatment and most days in and out of the room in just under 10 minutes. (Appointment times on the machine were at ten minute intervals and so you'd pretty much be in within 30 seconds of the guy before you coming out).

Like all the stages of this treatment process the actual RT experience is much less daunting in reality than your imagination has built it up to be beforehand (or at least that's how I've found things).

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 15:52
I had 32 sessions of RT in early 2019 and found it all pretty tolerable. For the first month, essentially no side effects. For the second month a gradually increasing urgency to pee and more frequent bowel movements, with increasing amounts of mucus caused by the radiation irritating the lining of the bowel. Side-effects peaked about two weeks after treatment finished. Peeing frequency returned to normal within a few weeks; bowel stuff took longer - the best part of a year to return to normality - but nothing more than a minor nuisance.

Three years later and the only side-effect I've been left with is a need to take Tamsulosin to help the "flow". Radiation makes the prostate permanently swell up, but the Tamsulosin completely solves the problem.

Best wishes for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 17:07

Where I had my RT (North Middlesex Hospital) they told us about 40 minutes before we were due to have the RT to drink the water.  I alway took a 500ml bottle of water with me, it wasn’t so cold as that out of their water dispenser!

User
Posted 13 Jan 2022 at 15:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Graham - recently completed 20 x 3gy RT; observations in Bio.

You will hopefully be fine once you have done a couple of days and got into a routine; I found judging hydration to be the trickiest bit, some days you went on the Linac after circa 30 mins, but sometimes it was nearer an hour if they were running late and, of course, got sent back a couple of times when the bladder wasn't full enough.

Best of Luck!
Nick

I agree, it was often a problem at Addenbrooks, if they were not calling me in on time.
After your 20th, you can heave a huge sigh of relief - in more ways than one.
But if they were running late, I would let a bit go in the Loo - I was never sent back, so I must have judged it about right 😅

User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 16:01

Hi Gra,

How did you get on? It sounds like it all went well?

I was going to reassure you by referring you to my blog (see profile) as I posted several videos of me on the table - the team of radiographers are really great.

My PSA one month post RT was 0.4....a but high perhaps but then it was 1.8 a month before.

I'm planning to stop my HT drugs...next one due next Weds...unless my onco can twist my arm....she'll have to do a good job! I'm now now a mental health patient owing to Prostap or its side effects....

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 18:57

Hi Gra1. I had salvage RT for 4 weeks from Dec 2020 to Jan 2021. 

I honestly could not have hoped for an easier experience. A bit of a faff taking a half litre of water 30 mins before each session to get the bladder full (my regime at Beatson Glasgow).  Jumping off the table after to get to the loo quickly.

The actual RT is very quick (10 mins?). With a few minutes before to set up.

Go in with confidence. It will be fine.

Jim

Edited by member 10 Jan 2022 at 19:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 19:21
Thanks for that Jim, I think I would be the same re the loo.

Cheers Graham

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 19:34

I agree with  Graham had 37 lots off radiotherapy  last March with not any problems  bit sore at times and more toilet visits  at night  but bearable  good luck 👍 

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 19:35

Jim sorry 😞 

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 09:58
When I was diagnosed / treated back in 2019 (six months of hormone therapy then 20 sessions of radiotherapy). at the 'planning meeting' the biggest shock was to get 3 little blue tattoos - one on each hip and one on my pubis! Aiming marks, apparently, for when the rt treatmant starts. I still have them - like a badge of pride! Before you go in for the rt appointments, make sure that you are well hydrated- drink water steadily throughout the day. If you don't, the water you drink just before the rt session will not go into your bladder, but into your tissues, and the radiographers will send you out if the treatment room to get 'filled up'. Once you are lined up on the table, the machine will hum and spin around a bit while they do a scan. The 'treatment phase' is quick - maybe about a minute - to me it sounded like a mosquito was in the room. You are lying on a machine which cost the thick end of a million quid - I was fascinated by it!

Hermit

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 14:33
Thanks for your very helpful comments ,Hermit.

All the best

Graham

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 14:52

As someone who has been involved with machine control engineering my working life I'd agree with Hermit - the machine itself is fascinating if you're that way inclined..

I found myself counting seconds as the machine rotated for the actual treatment phase - one elephant, two elephants, three elephants etc. and the traversing actually took 60 elephants first in one direction and then another 60 in the reverse rotation.

On a few occasions the machine rotated the opposite way to the rest of the time. I couldn't find anyone to explain why that was.

The arms have four different bits of kit, performing different functions, on them evenly spaced - so each passes overhead at 15 elephant intervals.

Anyway a total of two minutes of treatment and most days in and out of the room in just under 10 minutes. (Appointment times on the machine were at ten minute intervals and so you'd pretty much be in within 30 seconds of the guy before you coming out).

Like all the stages of this treatment process the actual RT experience is much less daunting in reality than your imagination has built it up to be beforehand (or at least that's how I've found things).

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 15:52
I had 32 sessions of RT in early 2019 and found it all pretty tolerable. For the first month, essentially no side effects. For the second month a gradually increasing urgency to pee and more frequent bowel movements, with increasing amounts of mucus caused by the radiation irritating the lining of the bowel. Side-effects peaked about two weeks after treatment finished. Peeing frequency returned to normal within a few weeks; bowel stuff took longer - the best part of a year to return to normality - but nothing more than a minor nuisance.

Three years later and the only side-effect I've been left with is a need to take Tamsulosin to help the "flow". Radiation makes the prostate permanently swell up, but the Tamsulosin completely solves the problem.

Best wishes for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 17:07

Where I had my RT (North Middlesex Hospital) they told us about 40 minutes before we were due to have the RT to drink the water.  I alway took a 500ml bottle of water with me, it wasn’t so cold as that out of their water dispenser!

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 17:53

thanks for your prompt reply, this site does help to put ones mind at rest

Graham

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 17:58

Very interesting Dave I would also find that sort  of thing interesting. Thanks for your kind thoughts .

Graham

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 17:59

Thanks Chris , very helpful .

Graham

User
Posted 11 Jan 2022 at 22:06

Sitting in the waiting room, waiting for RT is a bit like being in a supermarket queue, it's a great relief to get to the front of the queue and have a nice lie down 😀

Jules

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 08:20

Yes, been there - done that! - Get it done & dusted, without the Surgeon's knife!
I had 20 visits, in oct-nov 2019 just before the Pandemic set in - holding the water, is the worst part - the good part, is eventually seeing your PSA at fractions of "1" & staying there.
Ezec hospital transport, need to put springs in their boxes on wheels, though!

Edited by member 12 Jan 2022 at 10:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 20:04

Thanks for that Bob, and yes the wee part concerns me .

Graham

User
Posted 12 Jan 2022 at 23:19

You will hopefully be fine once you have done a couple of days and got into a routine; I found judging hydration to be the trickiest bit, some days you went on the Linac after circa 30 mins, but sometimes it was nearer an hour if they were running late and, of course, got sent back a couple of times when the bladder wasn't full enough.

Best of Luck!

Nick

User
Posted 13 Jan 2022 at 15:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Best of Luck!
Nick

I agree, it was often a problem at Addenbrooks, if they were not calling me in on time.
After your 20th, you can heave a huge sigh of relief - in more ways than one.
But if they were running late, I would let a bit go in the Loo - I was never sent back, so I must have judged it about right 😅

User
Posted 13 Jan 2022 at 18:19

Thanks for that Nick, Monday is my planning  procedure. 

Graham

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 22:12
Dear all,

I was wondering what things you can do to reduce the side effects apart from plenty of water and clearing bowels before the RT?

Many thanks in advanced

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 22:38
Hi Kelso, I have gone through 20 days of RT. You will be told to drink a certain amount of water about 20 mins before RT. I only had one episode of a full bowel, which they tell you during the session, when you then have to have an enema , which only takes a few minutes, then you return for the RT. They could give you some enemas for future problems if you feel you need to take one. Hope all goes well. I had a PSA of 29 before RT, I had test a week or so later and it of .02.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2022 at 16:01

Hi Gra,

How did you get on? It sounds like it all went well?

I was going to reassure you by referring you to my blog (see profile) as I posted several videos of me on the table - the team of radiographers are really great.

My PSA one month post RT was 0.4....a but high perhaps but then it was 1.8 a month before.

I'm planning to stop my HT drugs...next one due next Weds...unless my onco can twist my arm....she'll have to do a good job! I'm now now a mental health patient owing to Prostap or its side effects....

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk