I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

OUR STORY

User
Posted 08 Apr 2022 at 12:02

Hi there, before I ask a few questions, I'll tell you a little bit of why I joined.

I've joined this forum as my 56 year old brother was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in November last year. To say it was a shock, is an understatement!  He'd suffered a bad back for a good part of last year, and went back countless times to the doctor, who kept dismissing it as muscular!  He was off work for months at a time due to his back, he is a delivery driver who does a lot of heavy lifting!  The final straw for him was the not being able to sleep. He'd be walking round at night, unable to sit or lay down to sleep because of the pain.  On Halloween last year, he went to A & E, he'd had enough of the pain, you know yourself when it's not muscular!  They did some tests, no scans, and said it's probably "muscular" (???) or worst case scenario, cancer! He gave my brother a letter to give to his doctor to ask him to refer him for a CT scan. My brother gave his doctor the letter, and was met with a disgruntled face and a sigh, and under his breath, the doctor said "It's muscular!".   When my brother told me, I immediately got in touch with an ex colleague at our doctors surgery and asked her  if she could get my brother in with a different doctor, and she did!  This doctor phoned the hospital to change the CT referal to urgent ( the other doctor had only routinely referred my brother - a 10 week wait ). Within two days, my brother had a CT scan, and bloods, and within another 2 days, the doctor phoned with the news.  There were cancer spots on his spine, ribs, pelvis, femur and a dark area near the prostate.   His PSA levels were sky high, I can't remember the readings it was such a blur.    He then went in for a biopsy on his prostate, an MRI, and a gastroscopy.  They started him on Zoladex for his enlarged prostate straightaway, and he started chemotherapy in January this year.  He's on chemo number 5 now, and tolerating it really well, thank goodness, he's had no sickness just hair loss.  He gets hot flushes and is a bit snappy at times, because of the hormone therapy, but we just laugh it off as we're just so happy he's ok.   He has regular 3 weekly blood tests (just before chemo) and his PSA levels have gone down remarkably!  We won't know the effects that the chemo has had, until he has a scan, I'm not sure when that will be.

All I can say is, my brother never had any symptoms of prostate cancer, never had a PSA test before, and if it wasn't for that absolutely disgraceful doctor at our surgery, he could've been diagnosed ealier!

I love my brother so much, and it has broken my Mum & Dad (78 & 80). My brother actually lives with them after splitting with his partner, so I think they are happier that he is there.  He's so positive and carries on with daily life, he sees his mates and still gets out and about!

Edited by member 08 Apr 2022 at 12:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Apr 2022 at 18:55

I'm glad your brother is staying positive and finding the treatment bareable. The doctor has not done a very good job, but having said that, by the time he had symptoms it was already advanced cancer so the outcome is not changed by the late diagnosis.

Hopefully the treatment s will carry on working for many years.

Keep us informed.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Apr 2022 at 19:36
Another reticent Doctor! I would ensure he is made aware of your brother's diagnosis and what had been necessary to obtain it. It will not help your brother but may make his Doctor more proactive in another case.

Hopefully treatment will alleviate your brother's pain and slow cancer
Barry
User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 23:11

Hi 

I'm so so sorry to read this. Yet another example of dismissive GPS. Hopefully he does well on the treatment. IT certainly gives a lot of relief and hope the pain is under control now.

Best wishes to him! 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 00:22

So glad you’re brother finally got his diagnosis and is being treated. Really good news that he is being so positive too. Fingers crossed the chemo does a good job and can keep everything at bay for a long time. It’s so awful that he had to suffer so much before getting someone to listen. As Barry says, I hope his original doctor now knows of his diagnosis and can learn from it. Take care and all the best 

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 13:54

Hi, as your brother has been diagnosed, you need to get your PSA checked, as it means you're at higher risk too. Your GP should do this, hopefully without any argument since your brother was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. Your dad should consider doing so too, although thy might not treat it as his age, depending how fit he is.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2022 at 14:08
Andy, given that DMC's profile says "I'm the sister of a 56 year old diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer", I don't think that she need bother getting a PSA test. ๐Ÿ™‚

Any male cousins, though, definitely yes.

Cheers,

Chris
User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 18:14
Thank you all for your replies!
An Update:-
My brother has just finished his 10th round of chemo and has tolerated it really well, thankfully! He's got a scan booked 24th August , so fingers crossed it'll be good news!
User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 18:55

Good luck ๐Ÿคž

User
Posted 04 Aug 2022 at 19:38

Hi

I know just where your coming from when it's comes to GPs I have an offical complaint with NHS England against my surgery,they said I had a hernia in late Dec 21 4 months later I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer!!!!

Good news about your bro responding well and long may it continue,he is not alone๐Ÿ‘