I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

DRE

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 09:58

Just how much can a GP tell from a DRE?  Can they feel is cancer is present?  Does a cancerous prostate feel different?

Thanks

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 11:08
They can feel if it's enlarged hard or bumpy only a biopsy will determine if cancer is present my hospital said mine was benign but MRI and biopsy said different and Gleason 9 was found but it's a indicator to follow up with a biopsy 👍
User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 11:08

Depends on how experienced the GP is. My GP said my prostrate was normal. The urologist said he thought the prostate was hard to one side.

In short yes a experienced clinician can tell if the prostate is not normal.

In my case it was the PSA level (8.5) that prompted the referral from the GP. Not the DRE.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 15:50
Not all of the Prostate can be felt by DRE, although less likely to be tumour in area that can't be felt. Many GP's not good enough at determining so best done by urologist.
Barry
User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 16:53
True that GPs may sometimes find that a prostate feels normal and then there turns out to be cancer present. On the other hand, if a GP feels a hard or lumpy prostate, they will know that cancer is present. Sometimes, the GP or urologist can feel that the cancer has already escaped the prostate and they may opt straight for body and bone scans and not bother with a biopsy
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Oct 2022 at 06:31

Is a lumpy prostate always cancer?

User
Posted 21 Oct 2022 at 08:19

It can be prostatitis, particularly if prostate is tender, although prostatitis isn't always painful or lumpy.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2022 at 19:31
My GP told me, via DRE, that all I had was a large prostrate, however he still referred me to the urology unit at my local hospital. That was the day I started my PCa journey.
User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 08:54
Especially if the prostate is tender, it may be prostatitis, although prostatitis is not always excruciating or lumpy.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 09:20

Many docs told me I had an enlarged prostate, it's mentioned on my records still even though an MRI, ultrasound and biopsy confirmed that it's only the small side of normal. I suspect the DRE is more useful for revealing lumps etc but not so much for anything else. 

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 10:35

I had to smile at the title of this conversation.

DRE by a bunch of flowers.

I remember laying there knees against my chest thinking 'He's gone straight in! Not even a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers!"

User
Posted 01 Nov 2023 at 17:02

It's a poor and much cheaper option to the MRI they should do!