Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap Injection

User
Posted 22 Feb 2020 at 16:05

Hi Everyone

I have had 9 of the 3 monthly injections, the first seven I had no problems but with the last 2 I have had a really nasty reaction causing a swelling like  boil at the point of the injection. In both cases the doctor prescribed antibiotics.

Has anyone had anything similar, it hurts like hell.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2020 at 20:05
Change your avatar name as quickly as possible; using your email address opens you up to spammers and trolls. If you don't know how to change it, the moderators may be able to help.

Has anything changed with the last 2 injections? Different nurse? Changed from having it at the hospital to having it at the GP practice? Changed from your bum to your belly?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2020 at 22:14
Hi Stuart,I had postap injection every 3 months till I started getting boils at the injection site(In my tummy).I had 3 lots of antibiotics before they put me on a different hormone injection that goes in my buttock.I think it's called Triptolerin.Iv had 3 ,So far seems to be ok.GP called it celulitas and was the first time she had seen it with Prostap.Hope this is helpful.Geoff
User
Posted 22 Feb 2020 at 22:31
I had similar reactions to the injections in the tummy. One time it was an infection, and I got antibiotics for it as my temperature was raised. The other times it was a tender swelling which could be helped by a cold compress, e.g. a bag of frozen peas or a freezer brick wrapped in a cloth.
User
Posted 24 Feb 2020 at 05:36

I had a similar problem with a painful lump on my stomach at the injection site.

Last two have been in the thigh, so far so good.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2020 at 12:39

Except for the injections I had at the hospital I never get the same nurse. At the moment I am taking the antibiotics and waiting for the boil to burst, it has come to a head and is very painful.

Thanks for your comments which I will take up when my Macmillan nurse comes tomorrow I do not want any more Prostap injections.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2020 at 13:55

Another Covid19 cock up on my latest injection.
Phoned GPs Friday to confirm referral has been made to the District Nurses for my next injection due 2/7/20.
Receptionist said referral has been made so I asked what time should I expect the nurse so she suggested I ring them to find out.
Rang them this morning, they need a GP referral for a home visit, I mentioned the GPs have done the referral, she said that's maybe but we haven't got it.
Okay I said can we just cut through the red tape and through this call book a home visit as the official process doesn't work.
No was the answer, phone your GP and ask them to do another referral.
I give up.

Edited by member 29 Jun 2020 at 14:03  | Reason: Thpo

User
Posted 29 Jun 2020 at 15:47
That's shocking
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jul 2020 at 12:47

Although I never had any problems getting my Zoladex injection done, I decided that it would be a good thing if I could do it myself. So a few months ago, I got the nurse to show me in detail how to do it, and last week I did it myself, supervised by the nurse. She said next time I can still come in and be supervised if I want to, or just do it myself at home.

It was strangely satisfying - part of taking control of your cancer.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2020 at 12:56
I did the filgrastim jabs in the stomach Andy during chemo, Nurse did the first I did the other 41.

Probably helpful to know how to self administer HT jabs, particularly with the problems I've had with the District Nurses during lockdown.

In a bygone age you would have been self sufficient self administering whilst away on holiday.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2020 at 19:23

Zoladex is perhaps more scary than some other things. Being a pellet implant, the needle is nearly 2mm diameter, and has to go in the full 35mm. I've never found it painful though, and wasn't when I did it to myself.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 09:34
Yes, Alathays and Top Gun both used to self- administer sometimes; it was the only way they could fit the injections into their busy cruise schedules!

User
Posted 22 Feb 2023 at 12:03
Hi, I joined this forum only because I had an in depth conversation with my oncology Nurse yesterday about the frequency of boils I have been getting roughly a fortnight after my Prostap injection. Normally I’ve been fine, no reaction whatsoever from the Prostap since my diagnosis in 2017. Then covid hit. The covid injection was developed and funnily enough the first (Pfizer) injection I received didn’t react at all. Every Prostap injection since has produced a furious boil at the injection site, which when it comes to a head, bursts and leaks tissues full of yellow suppurated puss. This goes on for days eventually leaving an unsightly scar. I can empathise with banjo and swagman and wonder if they noticed the same reaction coinciding with their Covid injection whether that be Pfizer, Moderna or Astra Zeneca being the three I’ve been administered. I also wonder if the Flu vaccine being given at the same time has any influence on this. Having been administered my joint Pfizer and Flu vaccine on 6/11/22 and my Prostap on 16/11/22 by 28/11/22 the boil began to form but this time on BOTH injection sites. They were both quite painful and made sleeping a challenge. I have also noticed my PSA slowly creeping up. Is the Covid or Flu injection seeing the Prostap injection as a foreign body and attacking it rendering it useless and ineffective hence the reason why my PSA is rising. I just want to put this out there, there must be some sort of coincidence.
User
Posted 22 Feb 2023 at 13:53
It sounds like you are developing either an allergy to something in the prostap depot or a kind of autoimmune disease. John has rheumatoid arthritis and gets a regular boil on his shoulder, having never had one before.

Is the injection definitely being administered correctly?

User
Posted 16 May 2023 at 15:18

I had 4 or 5 monthly prostap injections, then had a 3 monthly one that really knocked the wind out of me, very fatigued,  so going back on the monthly one, to see if it was that or all the other meds kicking in.