Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

aches

User
Posted 09 Aug 2020 at 21:02

Hello everyone,

I am on 3 monthly injections of Zoledex, over the last month to six weeks my body has started to ache is this normal. If anyone else has this problem how do you deal with it, any advice would be appreciated.

Regards Chris.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2020 at 21:48
The hormone treatment causes aches and pains in two main ways:-

1. Fatigue can manifest as aching muscles and limbs that feel too heavy to lift

2. Your body is feminising - ligaments slacken off and the pelvis starts to widen out, muscles lose tone which means that what you would consider to be normal activity becomes harder work and you can ache more afterwards.

PCUK ran a project on HT induced fatigue a couple of years ago, it is worth giving the nurses a call. Also, if you are struggling to exercise, swimming is known to be very good for men on HT as it is low impact. We just need all the pools to reopen :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Aug 2020 at 17:49
Hi Chris I'm on Prostap and when I surface in the morning I move around like a bloke of 95.

Once I've done a few stretches and a morning walk I'm okay again.

Similarly if I watch a film and don't move it starts again. Like Andy says fitness is key to battling cancer, look at Kevin (Irun).

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 08:11

I have been on Zoladex for nearly a year my body started to ache after a few months especially my spine. I found the best thing I could do was pace myself with intermittent periods of rest. Bone pain is a recognized side effect, feels like my body has been taken over by a ninety year old. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Aug 2020 at 18:28

I had some minor aches, but nothing needing treating. I can't be certain it was the zoladex. 

Dave

User
Posted 10 Aug 2020 at 18:39

It's not uncommon.
It's really important to be exercising while on hormone therapy. It counters many of the side effects and can slow cancer progression.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2020 at 21:48
The hormone treatment causes aches and pains in two main ways:-

1. Fatigue can manifest as aching muscles and limbs that feel too heavy to lift

2. Your body is feminising - ligaments slacken off and the pelvis starts to widen out, muscles lose tone which means that what you would consider to be normal activity becomes harder work and you can ache more afterwards.

PCUK ran a project on HT induced fatigue a couple of years ago, it is worth giving the nurses a call. Also, if you are struggling to exercise, swimming is known to be very good for men on HT as it is low impact. We just need all the pools to reopen :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Aug 2020 at 17:49
Hi Chris I'm on Prostap and when I surface in the morning I move around like a bloke of 95.

Once I've done a few stretches and a morning walk I'm okay again.

Similarly if I watch a film and don't move it starts again. Like Andy says fitness is key to battling cancer, look at Kevin (Irun).

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 08:11

I have been on Zoladex for nearly a year my body started to ache after a few months especially my spine. I found the best thing I could do was pace myself with intermittent periods of rest. Bone pain is a recognized side effect, feels like my body has been taken over by a ninety year old. 

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 11:29

Yes I’m looking forward to being able to swim in pools again. Earlier this week after a very hot night I took myself to the River Wye (I live nearby) and had a lovely early morning swim. It’s not for everybody, but fortunately I was feeling fit and well on that day. Wild swimming has become a big thing this year. I have experience of search and rescue so I recommend taking great care in or near water.