I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel

User
Posted 09 May 2022 at 23:05

Two and a half years since being diagnosed, 37 radiotherapy,and hormone treatment on going,so I thought I would go and see my son and 3 grandkids in Canada. So I'm now wondering if I can get insurance and also how safe it will be flying long haul on hormone treatment

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 00:40

We have had a few posts on travel insurance, it seems some companies won't touch you but others will, the premium may be off putting though.

I remember the form I filled in asked if I had treatment within the previous five years, I had; I guess that it is a bit like speeding points dropping off your driver's license, suddenly your a good boy again. Anyway I don't think you should wait five years to see your grandchildren. Consider excluding prostate cancer from your cover, the premium should then become quite reasonable, but any problems from kidneys to penis will be classed as prostate cancer even if you caught your k**b in your flys. 

I can't think of a problem with HT and flying (I don't think it correlates with DVT) .

So book the tickets.

Dave

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 10:19
As above — just go. I’ve been fighting and fighting with insurance but now recently scanned twice I’ve managed to get it at good price.

Normally if you have no spread then fine to cover. If you have spread to lymph nodes only then normally they ok to cover also. Once you have spread to other parts of body , normally bones , then it becomes very very difficult even if essentially you feel fine and Onco approves. They just don’t want to touch you. So enjoy while you can as I’m doing repeatedly

User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 14:22
I'm on HE awaiting RT. Insurance quotes for pre existing conditions including my PC would more than doubled our recent walking holiday in Portugal. I took the view I was much, much more likely to need medical treatment for a broken leg than my PC so found insurance that covered everything but pre existing conditions for the week for no more than would normally cost through budget airline we travelled with.
User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 14:23
Should be HT not HE 😱
User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 15:06
I am not sure about medical costs in Canada although aware if you need need medical attention in the USA the costs can be eye watering. Never the less, I have always excluded PCa from cover. Generally speaking PCa develops slowly so what you do can be influence by how advanced it is and your attitude to risk.
Barry
User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 16:00
Good point Barry. And good info from my Onco last year when I did a 6 night cruise. He just said he was sure I was fit to travel so I excluded Cancer from my insurance.
User
Posted 10 May 2022 at 16:27

I exclude cancer from my travel insurance, but it is worth remembering that insurance companies are in the business of finding reasons not to pay out, and they could well, to give an example, refuse to pay out for a broken bone to someone on HT if cancer is excluded on the grounds that HT reduces bone density and makes you more liable to breakages. 

Cheers,

Chris